PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I've made a mistake

ezequielandrush
2016-03-05, 06:24 PM
Hi all!
I am DMing a 8 Lvl party (Mage, Rogue, Bard and Scout). Only basic core rules allowed.
I introduced a 5th character to the party, a 10th lvl Paladin NPC.
The main idea was to make a relationship between this paladin and the player characters and in the right time make a typical "missed in action" situation for this Paladin.

But I've made a mistake. Some day a casual player in the group asked to me to play the paladin. I handed the NPC. When this person sopped coming to play the players wanted to continue using this NPC by themselves.

I am not a very experienced DM, and now I have to make the paladin to actually be missed in action in a legit way. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Zeke

PD: forgive my english. I may not be very precise.

MisterKaws
2016-03-05, 06:50 PM
Call from the church, his order, god, et cetera.
[Insert family member] is in danger! Gone in order to rescue. Might have trouble with the PCs thinking this is a plot hook.
Kill.

Doctor Despair
2016-03-05, 08:20 PM
Depending on how long the campaign is going to run, you could give the players the option to stop playing their character, have their character retire from adventuring as an NPC, and start playing the Paladin. The level is fairly close and the experience difference from encounters should see the party catches up.

Alternatively, if Klaws' idea to call away the Paladin is unsuccessful and you reaaaaaally want him gone, you could always put a high-DC save-or-die trap of some kind in a dungeon and have the Paladin trip it first. Or perhaps, even better, put a trap in the dungeon that appears to require a party member to sacrifice themselves. The Paladin would be obligated to give his life for the party.

Krazzman
2016-03-05, 08:30 PM
Maybe he had to kill the river? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jFcV1FZ3Y)

Or any other reason already posted here.

Maybe there is a reason he has to stay back, the next part being a trial for the PC's to grow in which he shouldn't interfere or similar.
He could be "kidnapped" and the enemy is trying to convert him to be an anti paladin or so on.

nyjastul69
2016-03-05, 08:33 PM
He decided to retire. He walks away. His calling is elswhere.

Keltest
2016-03-05, 08:43 PM
He gets kidnapped by some evil enemy of his while the party is resting.

it worked for my group. We spent the rest of the campaign rescuing him.

ezequielandrush
2016-03-05, 09:31 PM
I guess I'll try to kidnap him.

Thanks for the replies

Zeke