PDA

View Full Version : FuriKuri discussion [spoilers aplenty]

FdL
2007-06-18, 11:58 PM
Well, I've finished watching this and I must say I liked it a lot. It really was something else even in the diverse field of anime.

I especially loved the main characters. I actually got to feel things following the relation of Mamimi and Naota.
I think it's really no small feat that considering all the weird stuff happening around you get such well written characters, with emotions and full of confusion, like real people.

I love Mamimi. It's quite understandable the confusion she's in. I think love can do that to someone. Lack of love, and pain certainly can. But still it's so warm and achingly sweet the way she tries to ease her pain with Naota. The scenes where both meet near the channel are so sweet.

I was sad that Mamimi didn't end with Naota. But it was natural. She needed to get away from all that to feel good again. There she was living her life hung up on the ghost of Naota's brother. It's pretty sad actually. But like in real life, you have to take paths that lead you away from what you want in order to feel better. :(

I'm going to re-watch this, obviously. There's a lot of things I didn't get. Minor details, mainly. For example, I didn't get anything off the scene at school with the chopsticks, where they're told to use them instead of something else (and the teacher sucks at it).
Or the one in the bridge with the "bread ears" (the loaves of bread Mamimi borrows from the bakery).

Is there any other anime by the same people? I loved the art. It's pretty realistic and at the same time it can be very wacky, and it blends really well (remember the scene in the last chapter where Mamimi finds the little robotic thing by the channel, where she sidesteps towards it. In the last steps she takes her legs are all rubbery like in a cartoon)

Mattarias, King.
2007-06-19, 12:05 AM
XD Oh, man, Furikuri is awesome. I love everything about the show, honestly. It just... fits.

Also, regarding Mamimi and Naota; Mamimi is a terribly tragic character. Makes me sad, almost.

All the characters are good (except "smooootch!~" guy. he annoys me.) but my favorites are Haruko, Naota, and .. agent eyebrows.. I forgot his name. Him. The battle in episode 5 was nice and epic-ish. I want to see if my DM'd allow me to do stuff likwe that with my guitar. :smallbiggrin:

Valdren
2007-06-19, 12:27 AM
I'm just wanna say that I tried to play a female bard with an ironwood guitar.... my dm said no for sanity reasons.....

But yeah, deffinitely awesome and slightly confusing, but I *almost* wish it was more episodes

FdL
2007-06-19, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Mamimi is kinda sad. But more confused than suffering in an "emo" way, acknowledging it. Like she doesn't know how to deal with it. So I guess she's just repressing it.
Of course she doesn't mean to hurt/mistreat anyone. It's just the best she can do.

For what I understand she regularly skips classes, doesn't she? Or does she even go to classes at all?

Anyway, I'm comparing different translations I found out there and the first one I watched was among the best. I hate it when they leave the little details out, details that actually add something. For example, how Mamimi talks about herself in the third person. I wouldn't have done away with that.

She's kinda crazy hahaha. But I don't know, sparks some feelings in me. Like I want to protect her or something :p

Oh...Other stuff: the scene with Naota's dad and the clone and one of them being dead...That was weird. In a major creepy way.
And the chapter about the major's daughter was neat too. That's a nice character too. I get that she was having a difficult time with his father dating some woman and the media being all over it.

Skippy
2007-06-19, 11:21 PM
FLCL is insane!!! I loved it from the beginning to the end of it... I hate Mamimi because she is a bit too sick for me... The girl with glasses was a lot better, and Haru must be the most awesome character I've seen in my life, except for Canti, maybe...