PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Curse of Strahd Barblock Help

TheRedTemplar
2016-03-05, 11:05 PM
I was playing a session of Death House with a new character (Barbarian 1, to be specific) for the Adventurer's League, and happened upon the wonderful discovery of the Dark Gifts. Mainly because I died (I was sacrificed by my party to escape Death House). My character has now become partially Incorporeal (they can spend hit dice to move through objects like they were difficult terrain, and they now count as Undead for the purposes of all spells and effects). They also went completely insane. Ouch. Curse of Strahd, everyone. Really is selling the feeling of the days of good'ol Ravenloft. At least they're alive though, right?

The thing is, the DM told me I could remove the effect (but not the 'Story Award' marking it) with a Remove Curse spell, but considering the interesting aspects this could allow for role play and character concept, I think I'd like to keep them like this. The DM said my character saw an unspeakable horror when they died-it was taunting me, and looked 'even worse' as it haunted my dreams. My character has thusly taken two levels in Warlock with this 'horror' as it's patron.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, I want to make a Bearbarian/Undying Warlock multiclass. I'm going with Undying Warlock for three reasons: the first of which is that it's not picked too often from what I can tell, and I wanted to try it out. The second is the fact that, as my character now has the ability to walk through walls and has become 'undead' in a manner of speaking, I think it'd be a very fitting path as my character begins to become more and more like a typical undead. However, the third reason is for the 6th Level ability, which is easily the best 6th level Warlock ability of the bunch in my book: when you have to make a Death saving throw, you can instead choose to auto-revive yourself and regain (1d8+con modifier) hit points.

In addition to this, the Undying Warlock gets Death Ward, which allows it to resist effects that would kill them outright or go to one hit point if they would otherwise die (gained literally the level after the above ability, too!). Death Ward, as well as Armor of Agayths, are non-concentration spells, so I can cast the former way ahead of time (it lasts for 8 hours, after all) and use the latter as-needed in a combat (use AoA first, then rage). This adds a good layer of survivability to an already tanky as hell class, and the Bearbarian fits the theme of undeath by emulating a typical undead's many, many resistances. My Totem Animal will be the Tree Spirit to give it more credibility, as well.

I know that at level 9, I want to be Bearbarian 3/Undyinglock 6. My question is this: What would be good choices of feats for this character, aside from War Caster (which I took as a Variant Human)? What fighting style would be the best fit for this character? Level progression?

A very important thing to consider: My Character, due to their Dark Gift, is considered an Undead for the intents and purposes of all spells and effects (magical and non-magical). On one hand, this comes with the ability to walk through walls and allows me to no-sell a LOT of spells and effects, such as almost every charming ability and spell in the books, hold person, anti-life shell, and more. On the other hand...the only way my character can heal is with their Warlock abilities, Short/Long rests, Healing Potions, Wish, and Aura of Vitality. That's it. Not even Mass Heal will restore hit points to me, and Spare the Dying can't do anything to stabilize me (thankfully, I can still be revived if I die). So, that's a major factor to consider while making decisions about build progression, and part of the reason I need help with it. Even a small word of advice is appreciated! I really want to play this character and have fun with it, so any help counts! Thanks a bunch!