PDA

View Full Version : Hinjo is gonna do a miko

the300
2007-06-19, 12:20 AM
bye belkar you crossed the line, and maybe when you die you will kill the cat

Nathander
2007-06-19, 12:30 AM
I doubt it. And, even if Hinjo did kill Belkar, I would be uncertain that would cause him to fall. Adventuring with Belkar, however, could.

Kreistor
2007-06-19, 12:31 AM
Crossed a line? Which one?

Azure City is a society with a legal system. Responding to insult with lethal assault is usually called murder, or the attempt thereof. Maybe he's allowed, but what message is he sending to his citizens when he does so? Nobility live by different rules, so suck it up? That does not strike me as Hinjo's style at all.

NeonRonin
2007-06-19, 12:32 AM
I seriously doubt Hinjo is gonna freak the way Miko did; at least Hinjo's head is screwed on more or less the right way.

RNG
2007-06-19, 01:01 AM

Azure City is a society with a legal system. Responding to insult with lethal assault is usually called murder, or the attempt thereof. Maybe he's allowed, but what message is he sending to his citizens when he does so? Nobility live by different rules, so suck it up? That does not strike me as Hinjo's style at all.

Actually, I completely agree with your point, but I just wanted to say I don't think Azure City is very justice-oriented ATM, being controlled by a mad lich sorcerer and all. Although Hinjo will obviously retain his position in the aristocracy, and all the requisites that come with the title. Also, he's NOT MAD.

SPoD
2007-06-19, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I don't see how Hinjo could fall. Unless the point is to parody all the old "Miko should fall!" threads that existed before Miko, well, fell?

He definitely won't fall for leaving the city now. Sure, he needed to be talked into it by more pragmatic people, but even he can now see that it needs to be done.

Droodle
2007-06-19, 01:08 AM
Also, he's NOT MAD.I'd prefer you said he's not insane. As a Paladin, he's definitely got MAD.

David Argall
2007-06-19, 01:08 AM

Most paladin societies were not believers in freedom of speech. There were a number of comments that must be wiped out in blood, particularly those dealing with honor. Generally this was to be done in set battle, but when one is dealing with a member of the common herd, a direct dispatch was in order.
Not that it would make much difference here. Belkar is unlikely to be a match for Hinjo in any honorable match [And he would not want to use the eye by the way. The thing is neat for taking out the underbrush, but it does about 35 hp every 3 rounds. Belkar can beat that with his daggers easy when there is one foe.] But we might find Hinjo demanding a duel if they stay together long.

Of course we should note that Miko put up with Belkar for some unknown, but substantial period while he was her prisoner. Of course, being the prisoner gave him some immunity, but this does suggest Hinjo will not go screaming mad for a couple of days at least.

Ermete
2007-06-19, 01:50 AM
bye belkar you crossed the line, and maybe when you die you will kill the cat

uhm...I think :hinjo: is smarter then :miko: and he know that if he try to attack :belkar: all the order will defend him...and it would be even sillier than stay in the city and fight...

Kioran
2007-06-19, 01:55 AM
uhm...I think :hinjo: is smarter then :miko: and he know that if he try to attack :belkar: all the order will defend him...and it would be even sillier than stay in the city and fight...

Hinjo is a lot less smart than :miko: actually, but heŽll probably show too much restraint to simply kill Belkar outright. Belkar was right in calling Hinjo a wuss. HeŽs such such a wuss heŽll let Belkar get away with it :smallbiggrin:

PaladinFreak
2007-06-19, 01:59 AM
In my humble opinion, Hinjo won't attack Belkar. As far as I can see, Belkar's only purpose is to be a weapon, so they just have to keep him on a tight leash.

Rad
2007-06-19, 02:27 AM
Humm, I do not see Hinjo staying with the order long-term. He has a duty with his people on the boats so he'll have to stay with them. As much as I love him, I guess he's not staying as long as his duties are elsewhere.

Alfryd
2007-06-19, 02:45 AM
Generally this was to be done in set battle, but when one is dealing with a member of the common herd, a direct dispatch was in order.
That sounds Lawful Evil to me.

As others have argued, I doubt that Hinjo will be voyaging with the Order for long enough to risk real 'association' with Belkar. He'll need to stick around the general region in order to coordinate efforts to take back the city. The Order's business is with the other gates, and miscellaneous sidequests.

Quietus
2007-06-19, 03:43 AM
I'd prefer you said he's not insane. As a Paladin, he's definitely got MAD.

Man, someone always gets the worst jokes before I do. *Snaps fingers*

By the way, am I the only one that nearly missed that oh-so-important word in the threat title?

teratorn
2007-06-19, 03:53 AM
By the way, am I the only one that nearly missed that oh-so-important word in the threat title?

You're evil. Now I have half-stick-figure necrophilia stuck in my mind.

dehro
2007-06-19, 07:48 AM
heu..guys... the gag's over... I have a feeling that the punchline of belkar put an end to this little scene...

Quietus
2007-06-19, 02:21 PM
You're evil. Now I have half-stick-figure necrophilia stuck in my mind.

I've had max ranks in craft (disturbing mental image) and the appropriate skill focus for years now, but don't use it nearly often enough. Had to do it, sorry.

Kreistor
2007-06-19, 03:37 PM
Most paladin societies were not believers in freedom of speech.

You'll note that AC is not a paladin society. The nobility is distinct from the Sapphire Guard, and the legal system is "secular", not divine.

Baalzebub
2007-06-19, 06:10 PM
Most paladin societies were not believers in freedom of speech. There were a number of comments that must be wiped out in blood, particularly those dealing with honor. Generally this was to be done in set battle, but when one is dealing with a member of the common herd, a direct dispatch was in order.

You're right... but this is not real life. This is the imaginary D&D world, where Paladin societies are indeed Good. This sounds LE to me.

Anyway, I don't see Hinjo turning into another :miko:. Hinjo is much more Charismatic than Miko, and I'm not talking about their Cha scores. My point, he is more open to another points of view than :miko:

Ithekro
2007-06-19, 06:38 PM
How does one fall for the great good? The gods are typically smarter than that when they are proactive in dealing with their paladins.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-19, 06:51 PM
There are a lot of ways to play a paladin, and while Miko was the semi-stereotypical "stick up the ass" pali, there are plenty of players capable of playing a warrior for truth and justice, without acting like the GM's control-freak girlfriend.

I read some of the Dragonlance novels, and liked the kender characters. Sat down to a tabletop game with a group that had a kender, and ended up quitting not much later. Child-like is NOT the same as childISH.

As long as Hinjo makes some sort of effort to keep Belkar from going psychotic on anyone/everyone, and makes an honest effort to get Belkar to change his ways, Hinjo will stay pure blue, instead of corrupted tan...

Elephant
2007-06-19, 06:58 PM

What are these paladin societies of which you speak?

Twilight Jack
2007-06-19, 07:04 PM
What are these paladin societies of which you speak?

He's making a blanket statement about various societies throughout history (especially Asian ones, but every continent gets in on the fun) with a strong warrior culture/honor aesthetic.

You see examples of it in everything from a samurai's unrestricted right to kill a peasant who offended him, to the tendency of European nobles to kill one another over "honor," to the lower castes of India being regarded as worthless by the priests and warriors (of which paladins are a kind of combination).

Kreistor
2007-06-19, 07:33 PM
He's making a blanket statement about various societies throughout history (especially Asian ones, but every continent gets in on the fun) with a strong warrior culture/honor aesthetic.

You see examples of it in everything from a samurai's unrestricted right to kill a peasant who offended him, to the tendency of European nobles to kill one another over "honor," to the lower castes of India being regarded as worthless by the priests and warriors (of which paladins are a kind of combination).

You're describing a Lawful Neutral society, not Lawful Good. There's a lack of respect for sentient life there.

Ithekro
2007-06-19, 09:43 PM
True, but there are very few "Lawful Good" societies in our history. They might seem good, but it depends greatly on what was considered good at the time, rather than our view of things in the present or in literature.