PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe It's Not A Weapon! Monster NPC Help

DrKerosene
2016-03-06, 08:23 AM
I've recently discovered the Monster of Legacy (WoL) template, and I initially thought of using a Mimic.

The size being Large makes it a bit hard to pretend it is a weapon for a normal PC. I've been leaning to getting the Bloodwind spell onto an advanced Mimic, and maybe pretending it's a short-range harpoon-ballista, or just full-plate.

I couldn't find any smaller versions of Mimics in 3.5, though the Phasm is probably a better creature choice. I've also considered trying to use a Symbiont as a base, and also a permanent Awaken+Animated Object. I'm open to any ideas the Playground may have.

I am already in the process of introducing a Psion/Fiend of Possession NPC (as a weapon) too, but I'm hoping it'll take a couple levels for the Party to figure that one out.

Unless somebody has a really good idea on how to pretend a monster is a weapon for a couple levels, I'm expecting to use this creature as an immediate-trigger "trap" that increases paranoia towards the Fiend of Possession item (and any other longer-lasting "weapon" creatures).

Thank you.

Fizban
2016-03-06, 09:00 AM
I don't get most of what's going on here, but I do know that a Mimic is an Aberration, which means you can Dungeonbreed it (Dungeonscape). A Dungeonbred Mimic would be Medium size, and a two-handed weapon sized for a medium creature is also medium size. Of course the Mimic Shape ability specifically lists the volume so RAW neither the template nor standard HD advancement change the size. Halving the size should result in 1/8 the volume, which would still be crazy for most weapons.

Drop the size with Dungeonbred and fiat away any other problems with rule of cool.

DrKerosene
2016-03-06, 09:20 AM
Dungeonbred helps with the Mimic, thank you.

I'm trying to create "magic items" that are really something else. Instead of an Item Familiar, or an Intelligent Magic Weapon; or Ancestral Relic.

I'm hoping to have the Fiend of Possession item with the Party long enough it levels up and can attempt to possess a PC. Any other ideas are welcome.

Mr Adventurer
2016-03-06, 09:25 AM
Haunt Shift can also make (up to 9HD) undead possess a weapon and pop out when they want to.

There are rules for fiends possessing objects in one of the Fiendish Codices.

DrKerosene
2016-03-06, 02:01 PM
Haunt Shift seems like I can use it as a "cursed" alternative to "figurines of wondrous power", or something. Thank you.

Jack_Simth
2016-03-06, 02:08 PM
Haunt Shift seems like I can use it as a "cursed" alternative to "figurines of wondrous power", or something. Thank you.

Figurines of Wondrous Power qualify for being made into Intelligent Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm), as does the Rod of the Python (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#python).