PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler"ish" build

Blas_de_Lezo
2016-03-06, 09:06 AM
The funniest class I've ever played is a 3.5 beguiler. Unfortunately it hasn't appeared in 5e (yet). How would you build a beguiler in this edition? Taking into account that his main features were:

roguish skills
enchantment/illusion specialization
high DC to resist
"machinegun" spellcasting

Thanks!

hymer
2016-03-06, 09:37 AM
I'd probably play a bard. If you can't refluff your way out of the performance stuff (or prefer int casting), a start in Rogue (probably one, but maybe up to three levels) and rest of your levels in wizard, either enchantment or illusionist spec.
Or a bard (1) wizard (rest); slightly less skilly, slightly more magicky.

Georlik
2016-03-06, 09:57 AM
Two words: Arcane Trickster

WrittenInBlood
2016-03-06, 10:05 AM
Maybe Archfey warlock with 2-level Enchantment wizard dip? Rougish skills - Criminal or Urchin background, Enchantment/illusion - class features and invocations, high DC - just pump up Charisma, "machinegun" - Eldritch Blast all day long and short rest spell slots regeneration.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-06, 10:38 AM
Beguiler was really just bard v2.0 in 3.5. Full casting progression with a bard like list. Check it out now, bards get that 5e. I'm sure your DM wouldn't mind if you refluffed it use a standard arcane focus compared to an instrument. Refluffing any other ablities is rather easily done.

As mentioned above, arcane trickster could work, but if beguiler appealed to you, it was probably because of its full casting progression.

Also a sorcerer with proficiency in the right skills, could do this just as well. Trickery Favored Soul even if its allowed.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-06, 10:52 AM
Rogue skills are easy to get with the right background (Criminal or Urchin) and possibly race (Half-Elf or Variant Human). You can't really optimize save DC, and it's hard to spam more than cantrips. Your options are:

Lore Bard: Fairly obvious choice. You get probably the best skills in the game (6 of your choice by level 3, with Expertise on two of them and half your Proficiency to all the rest) and plenty of illusion/enchantment spells. You're a full (spontaneous) caster too, so no loss there, and you get the only offensive Enchantment cantrip.

Illusion Wizard: Int-based casting, obviously, with a worse skill base-- you can get Investigation, but everything else has to come through race and background. (A Variant Human taking Skilled might be acceptable, and wouldn't be as overpowered as the race has potential to be). You'd be worse at social stuff than the Bard, but Arcane Recovery means you'd have somewhat better spell endurance.

You can do Enchantment instead, but I think the Illusion features are better (buff the Minor Image cantrip and get a second cantrip instead of a fascinating gaze and change active illusions instead of a 1/day redirect; the higher level features are more of an even split).

Warlock: I honestly don't recommend it. Charisma again, and you get your spell slots back after every short rest, but you don't have that many spell or that powerful spells. On the other hand, you can get an excellent familiar or excellent cantrip/ritual spell support, and a scant handful of Invocations. (Seriously; you thought the 3.5 Warlock had it rough?) Disguise Self and Silent Image at will are fun, though.

On the other hand, a two-level dip might well be worth it for at-will Silent Image alone; getting an Improved Familiar or 3 bonus cantrips from any list is just icing on the cake. (Why yes, I would like Guidance, Vicious Mockery and Shillelagh, thank you very much)

Overall... I'd say Warlock 2/Illusion Wizard 18. Take Pact of the Tome for Guidance (phenominal skill booster), Vicious Mockery (best/only offensive Enchantment/Illusion cantrip), and one more of your choice; you can never have too many Cantrips. Use the Great Old One for for telepathy instead of a 1/rest save-based ability, and grab Misty Visions (Silent Image) and Mask of Many Faces (Disguise Self). Grab some non-saved based Warlock spells you'll want to cast regularly--I'd go with Armor of Agathys, Hex, and maybe Expeditious Retreat--and then go Illusion Wizard.

Blas_de_Lezo
2016-03-06, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the imput pals!

What about this?

Half elf
Favored Soul Sorcerer (Domain: Trickery)

Starting Level 1
Standard array

Str 8
Dex 16 (15+1)
Con 14 (13+1)
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 16 (14+2

Skills & Tools
Criminal Background: Stealth, Deception, Thieves' tools
Half Elf: Perception, Acrobatics
Sorcerer: Persuasion, Intimidation

Spells Known
Cantrips: Minor Ilusion, Friends, Mage Hand, Chill Touch
Level 1: Sleep, Shield, Charm Person (b), Disguise Self (b)

Equipment
Studded Leather, Shortbow & 20 arrows, Thieve's Tools, Burglars Pack, Dagger

Leveling up Planning:
level 2: Silent Image
level 3: (*Sleep changed for Invisibility), Levitate, Mirror Image (b), Pass Without Trace (b) Metamagic (Subtle Spell, Heightened Spell)
level 4: (*Silent Image changed for Phantasmal Force), Hold Person, Booming Blade (cantrip)
level 5: Stinking Cloud, Dispel Magic (b), Blink (b)

Ability Score Increase: +2 to Cha.

What do you think? Do I have any overlapped spells or it's flexible enough?

What uncommon magic item you would try to get?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-06, 12:31 PM
Looks alright. I presume you'll be relying on weapons for your main combat offense?

Blas_de_Lezo
2016-03-06, 12:46 PM
Looks alright. I presume you'll be relying on weapons for your main combat offense?

Yes, with high Dex and second attack with favored soul, a shortbow is way batter than any cantrip. I don't plan to enter melee ever. If i'm forced to, tactic would be casting mirror image and retreating.

I want spell versatility, but I don't know if it's enough. I have defense (shield, mirror image, blink), mobility (levitate), utility (pass without trace, mage hand), offense (Hold Person), control (Charm Person, Silent Image, Phantasmal Force, Stinking Cloud (chosen consciously because it targets Con instead of Wis, just in case).

Maybe changing another spell slot intro Find Familiar as you suggested?

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-06, 02:12 PM
So you want a fullcaster with lots of skills ? You could just go bard and maybe with int as casting stat if your DM allow it

Edit: see you went sorcerer, I think isn't really fitting but if you're happy with it:smallsmile:

Blas_de_Lezo
2016-03-06, 04:53 PM
So you want a fullcaster with lots of skills ? You could just go bard and maybe with int as casting stat if your DM allow it

Edit: see you went sorcerer, I think isn't really fitting but if you're happy with it:smallsmile:

Yes, fullcaster, or almost full. Why do you say it isn't really fitting?

Gtdead
2016-03-06, 05:31 PM
Any chance to ask your dm to swap the bard spells from cleric and druid lists for wizard's illusion/enchantment spells?