PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Thoughts on next UA

Belac93
2016-03-06, 01:11 PM
The next UA is coming out tomorrow, so anybody have any ideas or hopes on what it may be?

I'm hoping for some Ravenloft stuff. A paladin oath, warlock pact, cleric domain, ranger path, and maybe some new spells or a mongrelfolk race.

Regitnui
2016-03-06, 01:20 PM
I'm more hoping for an eberron update. I mean, we've got the Ravenloft module already. Psionics is almost ready, so we're ripe for the Kalashtar race to be introduced, especially to playtest with the new mystic rules.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-06, 05:12 PM
The next UA is coming out tomorrow, so anybody have any ideas or hopes on what it may be?

I'm hoping for some Ravenloft stuff. A paladin oath, warlock pact, cleric domain, ranger path, and maybe some new spells or a mongrelfolk race.

I've never much liked Ravenloft, but it having something other than a single background might be nice.

lebefrei
2016-03-06, 08:41 PM
Druid seems primed for more. Barbarian as well. I'd like to see a primal power focused one, if not now then soon. Personally neither druid circle quite works for me, but I have always loved the class.

Suteinu
2016-03-06, 11:25 PM
I like the reintroduction of the old 2e kits as path options, but they're probably going to give us more of those gradually. In lieu of that, I'd kinda like to see the Wizards of High Sorcery from the Dragonlance setting. That, or maybe some more Cleric domains.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-07, 06:50 AM
Out of interest, is there any information on what time we can expect it at?

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 07:34 AM
I would like them to reintroduce martial exploits and practices from 4e, i.e. spell-like and ritual-like abilities for fighters. Yeah, 4e got hate on that, but I think it was a bad execution of a good idea. I particularly liked the concept of martial stances, which in 5e might require concentration.

Otherwise, I would be interested in druid circles as they exist outside of the Material Plane. Can a druid of the Feywild shapeshift into an owlbear or a displacer beast? Does a druid of the Shadowfell holds different views on what qualifies as a living being? What about alienists and their dealings with aberrations?

TentacleSurpris
2016-03-07, 09:03 AM
UA Articles are just trailers for movies that are stuck in development hell. I could do with no more 5-level classes "in pencil" and rather get an actual book of content that took more than an afternoon to bang out.

lebefrei
2016-03-07, 09:38 AM
Edit: looks like there is no UA this month. Lame.

UA Articles are just trailers for movies

Maybe you're right, except our voices matter in reaction to these trailers. During the Next play tests people actually were able to help shape and mold 5e, and it has brought in new and brought back old players as a result of that refinement.

I personally like seeing a class before it hits a book. That way cries of "this is awful" are more likely to matter.

Undying Light Warlock, for example. Fun class, illogical concept. I've never seen anyone say it makes sense as a patron, so we're likely to see that changed (hopefully to demanding angels).

Spiritchaser
2016-03-07, 09:47 AM
Undying Light Warlock, for example. Fun class, illogical concept. I've never seen anyone say it makes sense as a patron, so we're likely to see that changed (hopefully to demanding angels).

Not that demanding angels wouldn't be full of potential in their own right, but UL warlocks don't seem any more absurd than Jedi.

ZeshinX
2016-03-07, 09:55 AM
Sadly no, it's to preview of DM's Guild stuff. I'd rather they keep UA focused on experimental game content and options rather than acting as glorified commercial.

No argument in promoting some of the stuff on DMG, but a separate article for it would have been better. Oh well, at least WotC is consistent in its disappointments.

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 10:21 AM
Undying Light Warlock, for example. Fun class, illogical concept. I've never seen anyone say it makes sense as a patron, so we're likely to see that changed (hopefully to demanding angels).My opinion on The Undying Light is that it would make a great sorcerous origin, while a favored soul should be a type of warlock. Being in tune with raw magic, in this case positive energy, is what a sorcerer is all about. The more relational nature of a deity's favor would befit a warlock.

Ralanr
2016-03-07, 10:26 AM
Druid seems primed for more. Barbarian as well. I'd like to see a primal power focused one, if not now then soon. Personally neither druid circle quite works for me, but I have always loved the class.

Isn't that what Totem warrior is?

Edit: looks like there is no UA this month. Lame.

Source?

Lines
2016-03-07, 10:31 AM

It's a great concept - warlocks are burdened with a fluff penalty with no bonus attached, a warlock is beholden to a patron while a sorcerer isn't and it's not like a warlock is any stronger than a sorcerer. Adding a subclass that has no patron attached for those who want to play a warlock but aren't interested in the fluff penalty (and don't want to refluff the other subclasses into not having one) is a great idea. Ditto the oathbreaker for paladins, though I have no idea why they made that evil only (if you're a paladin of the crown, breaking your oath is probably a chaotic action, not an evil one).

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 10:36 AM
Source?This is this month's Unearthed Arcana:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/march-2016-review

It starts with:

This month, Unearthed Arcana takes a break from giving the D&D design team a chance to introduce new material for your games. Instead, we’ll take a look at some of the most interesting and fun new material to appear on the Dungeon Masters Guild.

I agree this equates to no UA this month.

Ivellius
2016-03-07, 10:37 AM
Isn't that what Totem warrior is?

I think the desire was for a UA release focused on "primal" classes in general--so Barbarian, Druid, Ranger.

Here (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/march-2016-review) is the link for this month's--it's just a spotlight on some DM's Guild stuff. Edit: Urgh, ninjaed while I posted this.

Ralanr
2016-03-07, 10:41 AM
I think the desire was for a UA release focused on "primal" classes in general--so Barbarian, Druid, Ranger.

Here (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/march-2016-review) is the link for this month's--it's just a spotlight on some DM's Guild stuff. Edit: Urgh, ninjaed while I posted this.

Ahh.

Aww. Though I guess I don't need the distraction.

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 11:06 AM
Adding a subclass that has no patron attached for those who want to play a warlock but aren't interested in the fluff penalty (and don't want to refluff the other subclasses into not having one) is a great idea.I think the Archfey has already got that covered pretty well.

Sure, it can be played like this:http://s3.postimg.org/pk0tg5jnn/motivator50f9c206d9dc5ccac69e73f63903151dc9679b3.j pg

http://s3.postimg.org/6lb99he4j/motivatore12f4d8536a69f989f3715b9a774e7689c0b916.j pgBut nothing forbids an archfey who is a genuine force of good in the world and contacts you Lady of the Lake style, or an archfey who would bless you with magic for some whimsical reason and then leave. I find that much easier to believe than stealing magic from Hell or the Far Realm without anything there noticing it, or than this Positive Energy Plane business.

Lines
2016-03-07, 11:12 AM
I think the Archfey has already got that covered pretty well.

Sure, it can be played like this:http://s3.postimg.org/pk0tg5jnn/motivator50f9c206d9dc5ccac69e73f63903151dc9679b3.j pg

http://s3.postimg.org/6lb99he4j/motivatore12f4d8536a69f989f3715b9a774e7689c0b916.j pgBut nothing forbids an archfey who is a genuine force of good in the world and contacts you Lady of the Lake style, or an archfey who would bless you with magic for some whimsical reason and then leave. I find that much easier to believe than stealing magic from Hell or the Far Realm without anything there noticing it, or than this Positive Energy Plane business.

For the fiend/GOO, if you're sticking to pure warlock flavour just announce that your patron doesn't notice/care/you got the power from a book/it's innate to you/whatever. Fluff's mutable.

Zaq
2016-03-07, 11:36 AM
What exactly is the problem with the fluff on the Lightlock (aside from the baffling decision to change the name on the Positive Energy Plane to the "Positive Plane")? It makes perfect sense to me.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-07, 11:39 AM
It's a great concept - warlocks are burdened with a fluff penalty with no bonus attached, a warlock is beholden to a patron while a sorcerer isn't and it's not like a warlock is any stronger than a sorcerer. Adding a subclass that has no patron attached for those who want to play a warlock but aren't interested in the fluff penalty (and don't want to refluff the other subclasses into not having one) is a great idea. Ditto the oathbreaker for paladins, though I have no idea why they made that evil only (if you're a paladin of the crown, breaking your oath is probably a chaotic action, not an evil one).

Agreed with you on Paladins - heck, a Vengeance Paladin can fall for being too nice - hence why I made a non-evil version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478902-The-Black-Knight-a-non-evil-fallen-Paladin-(PEACH)). With regards to the the Undying Light, however, it has pretty significant effects on your personality as written:

Contact with the Positive Plane causes subtle changes to your behavior and beliefs. You are driven to bring light to dark places, to annihilate undead creatures, and to protect all living things. At the same time, you crave the light and find total darkness a suffocating experience akin to drowning

I'd say a severe fear of the dark and a compulsion to set a certain subset of things on fire is about equal to occasionally having a fairy give you orders.

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 11:42 AM
For the fiend/GOO, if you're sticking to pure warlock flavour just announce that your patron doesn't notice/care/you got the power from a book/it's innate to you/whatever. Fluff's mutable.Pure warlock flavour, IMHO, is making a pact with an otherworldly entity, probably at the cost of your soul. A more common warlock flavour is "just" playing with magic that is best left out of this plane. Yes, you can refluff the powers of Hell or Lovecraftland as a reasonable thing to use, but I think that's pushing it. Now, the Feywild, that's much easier to sell as a good or neutral source of magic. In any case, I do not feel your need for a patron-less warlock subclass.

What exactly is the problem with the fluff on the Lightlock (aside from the baffling decision to change the name on the Positive Energy Plane to the "Positive Plane")? It makes perfect sense to me.I don't actually have a problem with it. I just think the lightlock and the favored soul should switch classes.

Lines
2016-03-07, 11:47 AM
Pure warlock flavour, IMHO, is making a pact with an otherworldly entity, probably at the cost of your soul. A more common warlock flavour is "just" playing with magic that is best left out of this plane. Yes, you can refluff the powers of Hell or Lovecraftland as a reasonable thing to use, but I think that's pushing it. Now, the Feywild, that's much easier to sell as a good or neutral source of magic. In any case, I do not feel your need for a patron-less warlock subclass.

Then don't use it, but I plan to next time I'm not in the mood for fluff penalties.

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 12:04 PM
Then don't use it, but I plan to next time I'm not in the mood for fluff penalties.I might use it, in which case I would refluff the PEP as an outer god the multiverse actually grew on. Because what you call a fluff penalty, I call a very fun fluff.

What I don't understand is why you would emphasize the mutability of fluff and yet at the same time complain about fluff penalties. Wouldn't the former let you get rid of the latter? Why don't you "just announce that your patron doesn't notice/care/you got the power from a book/it's innate to you/whatever" and play any warlock subclass you want?

Lines
2016-03-07, 12:13 PM
I might use it, in which case I would refluff the PEP as an outer god the multiverse actually grew on. Because what you call a fluff penalty, I call a very fun fluff.

What I don't understand is why you would emphasize the mutability of fluff and yet at the same time complain about fluff penalties. Wouldn't the former let you get rid of the latter? Why don't you "just announce that your patron doesn't notice/care/you got the power from a book/it's innate to you/whatever" and play any warlock subclass you want?

As I've stated, you can absolutely do that. I just like that radiant warlock has that as a default.

Millstone85
2016-03-07, 12:21 PM
As I've stated, you can absolutely do that. I just like that radiant warlock has that as a default.Oh, okay. Then I guess I will just agree with
I'd say a severe fear of the dark and a compulsion to set a certain subset of things on fire is about equal to occasionally having a fairy give you orders. and leave it at that.

EvanescentHero
2016-03-07, 12:34 PM
My one and only problem with the Undying Light warlock is that we already have a warlock subclass called the Undying. Maybe they should change the name to the Everlasting Light or something.

ThatKreacher
2016-03-07, 12:36 PM
I'm rather disappointed with the new 'UA'.

I do not like the King's blood sorcerous origin at all, a lot of conflicting fluff and poor design choices in my opinion. Not a lot of focus on blood magic at all, why was this included?

Maybe it's because I hate monarchy with a passion, but the whole 'fluff' presented is that being descended from rich people gives you magical powers or something? at 1st level, they give you the possibility of choosing guidance as a cantrip(portent of blood?), and give you and your allies to initiative for casting divination spells(prophetic reflexes). wait, what? What does divination magic have to do with blood magic?

At 6th level when you reduce creatures to 0 hitpoints, you can steal a 'lifespark' and use it to gain a benefit. not that impressive in my opinion, nothing to do with blood magic, a lot to do with residual spirtual energy.

at 14th level you gain to abilities(both full abilties, wtf?? unbalanced) one which lets you expend hit die to keep lifesparks past long rests, and one that lets you expend a hit die on yourself or an ally during a short rest for free if you have a lifespark.

at 18th level, whenever you expand a lifespark, you can choose any benefit.

It seems balanced, but I personally really wish they actually released something interesting instead of this garbage. sorely disappointed with Wizards right now. Thanks for ruining Unearthed Arcana!

SharkForce
2016-03-07, 12:40 PM
have to say, the most disappointing bit of information is not just that they mentioned they're not doing a UA now, but that they're planning to make this a regular thing.

if i wanted to preview the DM's guild stuff, i'd go there and see what other people are saying about the products i'm interested in. considering the site has places for reviews, and a place for discussion, *and* allows previews of the products in question already, (and at least some of the products they're listing are "pay what you want", which means i can download the whole danged thing for free and then decide whether it's worth paying for and if so, how much), i really don't feel like a review of those products is in any way necessary.

(though if i'm really honest, i'm actually just even less inclined to trust a third party if i haven't seen their work in the past than i am to trust WotC's work being good in an of itself, and i'm not all that inclined to trust WotC to consistently have great product to begin with... but hey, at least the UA sometimes has interesting ideas)

Regitnui
2016-03-07, 02:29 PM
I have two questions if they're going to toss UA for DMsG highlights;

1. I live in an area of the world where my hard-earned cash is a drop in the bucket compared to USD, so how much am I expected to pay per? How do I even get them?

2. How do I know that this stuff is balanced compared to official 5e? I don't want to risk pulling Quadratic Wizards back into the game because some bloke thought bounded accuracy was insufficient for his nerd fantasies. At least with the UA you knew it was roughly the same level, if dodgy, and not 3rd party Truenamers.

Demonic Spoon
2016-03-07, 02:35 PM
I have two questions if they're going to toss UA for DMsG highlights;

1. I live in an area of the world where my hard-earned cash is a drop in the bucket compared to USD, so how much am I expected to pay per? How do I even get them?

2. How do I know that this stuff is balanced compared to official 5e? I don't want to risk pulling Quadratic Wizards back into the game because some bloke thought bounded accuracy was insufficient for his nerd fantasies. At least with the UA you knew it was roughly the same level, if dodgy, and not 3rd party Truenamers.

Most stuff on the DMsG is pretty cheap - substantially less than you'd probably pay for a copy of the books (assuming they aren't much cheaper in your part of the world). If the content is paid (much of it isn't), it usually ranges from $1-$5 USD.

Remember that the previous Unearthed Arcana articles very frequently had major balance and design issues - they were pitched as playtest content for a reason. As long as the WotC reviewers aren't putting bad DMsG content on UA, I would actually expect the stuff they're highlighting to be higher quality than most UA.

Ralanr
2016-03-07, 02:37 PM
Remember that the previous Unearthed Arcana articles very frequently had major balance and design issues - they were pitched as playtest content for a reason. As long as the WotC reviewers aren't putting bad DMsG content on UA, I would actually expect the stuff they're highlighting to be higher quality than most UA.

I'd hope so. Personally I like not having ways to bypass the concentration barrier in 5e.

Regitnui
2016-03-07, 02:44 PM
Most stuff on the DMsG is pretty cheap - substantially less than you'd probably pay for a copy of the books (assuming they aren't much cheaper in your part of the world). If the content is paid (much of it isn't), it usually ranges from $1-$5 USD.

So what, I go onto the DMsG site, find something I like, say "thanks", type in 0 when they ask for a tip and I can download without a fuss? Ironic, I feel worse downloading for free legitimately than I do pirating old 3.5 and 4e (for flavour) books.

I never used the UA for players. It's DM resources as far as I'm concerned. The mystic makes a good psionic opponent.

lebefrei
2016-03-07, 03:47 PM
The problem with the Undying Light fluff is that "A Warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being." A plane is not a being. The Archfey pact isn't a pact with the Feywild, GOO is not a pact with the Far Realm, and so on. It's nonsense. How do you make a pact with non-sentient burning life magic?

Anyway, the lack of the UA comes off as lazy. It's disappointing... Just passing off others' work to skip every other month.

I hope this means they are actually busy with a major class book and don't want to add too much more to UA for free.

Ralanr
2016-03-07, 03:50 PM
The problem with the Undying Light fluff is that "A Warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being." A plane is not a being. The Archfey pact isn't a pact with the Feywild, GOO is not a pact with the Far Realm, and so on. It's nonsense. How do you make a pact with non-sentient burning life magic?

Anyway, the lack of the UA comes off as lazy. It's disappointing... Just passing off others' work to skip every other month.

I hope this means they are actually busy with a major class book and don't want to add too much more to UA for free.

I always saw it as a celestial, was that not the case?

Beleriphon
2016-03-07, 03:58 PM

I suspect its mostly as a way to share, and get the word out that sufficiently high quality content can and will result in a professional book credit (and money I assume).

SharkForce
2016-03-07, 04:18 PM
I suspect its mostly as a way to share, and get the word out that sufficiently high quality content can and will result in a professional book credit (and money I assume).

there is no indication that any of those authors are going to be given freelance work from WotC of any kind.

i mean, it's possible that they will, but the article doesn't even imply it, let alone clearly state anything along those lines.

it's basically just a link to stuff that the author of the "UA" article liked. i don't think he even particulary mentions anything regarding balance... just "hey, i like these ideas". it barely even qualifies as a review.

Demonic Spoon
2016-03-07, 04:24 PM
It's not supposed to be a review.

Mike and Chris review the latest material on the Dungeon Masters Guild and choose the best of the best to highlight.

This month, Unearthed Arcana takes a break from giving the D&D design team a chance to introduce new material for your games. Instead, we’ll take a look at some of the most interesting and fun new material to appear on the Dungeon Masters Guild.

It's a highlight. The point is that the WotC designers picked things they think are high-quality (without writing a long article to explain why they think that), with a blurb about what it is. The point is to provide things you can look at including into your game.

This is actually more imminently usable than most UA articles, since most UA articles have problems and come with a big disclaimer about how it's playtest content...assuming, of course, that Mearls and Perkins do a good job of choosing solid content.

Foxhound438
2016-03-07, 04:55 PM
if i wanted homebrew i'd make it myself before paying money for someone else's. heck, i'd make my own before not paying to get someone else's.

mephnick
2016-03-07, 05:47 PM
This is actually more imminently usable than most UA articles, since most UA articles have problems and come with a big disclaimer about how it's playtest content...assuming, of course, that Mearls and Perkins do a good job of choosing solid content.

They're still picking between stuff that has little to no play testing, so it's pretty tough to determine what's solid content or not.

Is Blood Magic actually a well built idea? Or is it just cool and a useful tie-in to advertise Ravenloft?

Lines
2016-03-07, 05:56 PM
My thoughts are that this is using what is supposed to be a pseudo replacement for their lack of published material to advertise their own crap, and not only that we're getting that advertisement instead of content. Any urge to visit the DM's guild just vanished.

EvanescentHero
2016-03-07, 07:31 PM
there is no indication that any of those authors are going to be given freelance work from WotC of any kind.

No, but there is this.

"In addition, we’ll include this material in our future surveys where appropriate, and if the demand is there, we’ll work with creators to include some or all of their material in future products as official D&D content."

So I mean, if someone's stuff is good enough, it might become proper 5e material eventually.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-07, 08:43 PM
I always saw it as a celestial, was that not the case?

Absolutely not - the Undying Light Warlock is bonded to the Positive Energy Plane, possibly the single most hostile plane in the Wheel (The Positive Plane constantly heals anyone there. Then it gives them temporary hit points. When you get too many of these temporary hit points, you explode. The fact that the effect is initially beneficial makes it very hard to defend against - in fact, in 5e I think the only way to beat it is constant self harm.) There are no celestials on the Positive Plane - very little of anything in fact; the few outsiders that do live there (such as Ravids and Xag-Ya, neither of which have 5e stats as I'm aware) are pretty much all TN. It's more or less the most pitiless place there is - at least undead can live on the Negative Plane, where as the Positive is lethal to pretty much anything from outside it except constructs.

RickAllison
2016-03-07, 08:53 PM
Absolutely not - the Undying Light Warlock is bonded to the Positive Energy Plane, possibly the single most hostile plane in the Wheel (The Positive Plane constantly heals anyone there. Then it gives them temporary hit points. When you get too many of these temporary hit points, you explode. The fact that the effect is initially beneficial makes it very hard to defend against - in fact, in 5e I think the only way to beat it is constant self harm.) There are no celestials on the Positive Plane - very little of anything in fact; the few outsiders that do live there (such as Ravids and Xag-Ya, neither of which have 5e stats as I'm aware) are pretty much all TN. It's more or less the most pitiless place there is - at least undead can live on the Negative Plane, where as the Positive is lethal to pretty much anything from outside it except constructs.

Actually, with that it makes perfect sense for Warlocks to have the Positive Plane as a potential patron (alliteration intended). With Armor of Agathys and the other temporary hit point sources of 'Locks, they become immune to the inflation effect!

If you have temporary hit points
and receive more o f them, you decide whether to keep
the ones you have or to gain the new ones.

So a 'Lock getting temporary HP gets to choose those and prevent himself from dying due to the Positive Plane :smallsmile:

Ralanr
2016-03-07, 09:05 PM

Perfect example of Light is Not Good right there.

Giant2005
2016-03-07, 09:54 PM
So what, I go onto the DMsG site, find something I like, say "thanks", type in 0 when they ask for a tip and I can download without a fuss? Ironic, I feel worse downloading for free legitimately than I do pirating old 3.5 and 4e (for flavour) books.

I can only speak for myself, but my PWYW content is there to be consumed. Sure I like money as much as the next guy, but if you don't want to go to the hassle of getting some credit to pay actual money, then go ahead and pay nothing. No hard feelings.
In fact, if I hadn't earned credit through selling things on DMsG, I wouldn't be willing to go to that level of effort either. I don't even have paypal as of now, so trying to actually pay for something would be way more hassle than it is worth.

Just make sure you review everything you purchase - especially those you purchase for free. It is tremendously difficult to get fair reviews for products on that site and it really is the least one can offer. I myself have made more than one purchase of products that I have no real interest in, just so I can give them a review.

Belac93
2016-03-07, 10:42 PM

I totally agree. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually miss splat-books. The closest thing we've gotten to that was a few pages of SCAG and EE players guide. If we could have a splat-book focused on campaign specific things, that would be awesome. Official Ebberon, Athas, and Ravenloft player options? Yes please.

Ralanr
2016-03-07, 11:04 PM
I totally agree. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually miss splat-books. The closest thing we've gotten to that was a few pages of SCAG and EE players guide. If we could have a splat-book focused on campaign specific things, that would be awesome. Official Ebberon, Athas, and Ravenloft player options? Yes please.

Hell yes, Eberron.

Regitnui
2016-03-08, 01:35 AM
Just judging by the fact that eberron was the first UA, and the Mystic is the only one to come out twice, I'm thinking that we'll be seeing Eberron Explorer's Guide sooner rather than later. Not all the splat and flavour we got from 3.5's metric ton of books, since a lot of the mechanics can be used anywhere now. Most probably an Eberron Explorer's Guide with player options; finalized Artificer and Mystic, new Action points, possession and channelling, and a few new backgrounds. And maybe a DM guide with all the secrets and twists the players don't need to know.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-08, 08:33 AM
Actually, with that it makes perfect sense for Warlocks to have the Positive Plane as a potential patron (alliteration intended). With Armor of Agathys and the other temporary hit point sources of 'Locks, they become immune to the inflation effect!

So a 'Lock getting temporary HP gets to choose those and prevent himself from dying due to the Positive Plane :smallsmile:

Huh, I never thought of that.

...Though I should point out that, as far as I can see, 5e doesn't actually have any mechanics for the Positive Energy Plane, although it's mentioned a bunch of times (it's in the overview of the cosmology, you need to go there to destroy the Wand of Orcus, and of course the Undying Light Patron) - I'm just going by how it worked in previous editions, particularly 3.5 (they got rid of it in 4e). So it could work differently when and if it finally gets rules. Though it's always been 'pump you full of energy which is beneficial until you explode'.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-08, 09:03 AM

Given that one of the approaches to warlocks is the "does your Patron even know it's a Patron" - particularly with the GOO, A Planar Pact is using the secret creepy knowledge to make a bond to a source of energy - in this case one that is non-sapient as opposed to something ...else. Dreaming Azathoth is not exactly inclined to give orders. It's questionable that it has a sentience that could give orders.

Has anyone made an Ur-Priest Pact?

Really, any being with a strong Light/Radiant would be a good alternative to the playtest fluff, using these playtest mechanics. If I had someone want to use this in my game, I would tie it to the Sun Deity - which for usual Warlock themes makes it sort of an Anti-Warlock.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-08, 12:24 PM
I'd say that Eberron's Silver Flame, Undying Court and il-Yannah (from the Kalashtar's Path of Light) would be great patrons for UL warlocks. All of them are vaguely sentient pools of divine energy, with the ability to empower their servants (through faith, devotion or meditation).

Regitnui
2016-03-08, 12:55 PM
I'd say that Eberron's Silver Flame, Undying Court and il-Yannah (from the Kalashtar's Path of Light) would be great patrons for UL warlocks. All of them are vaguely sentient pools of divine energy, with the ability to empower their servants (through faith, devotion or meditation).

Didn't you know, I was just thinking the same thing. Though the Silver Flame is more likely to attract favoured souls, clerics and paladins. Having the warlocks associated with a strange (to Khovairans) power source makes the warlock more otherwordly. There's also the plane Irian, the Endless Day, which indirectly powers the Undying Court.

EDIT: Though the Silver Flame warlock could instead be in contact with the Shadow in the Flame, (a demon lord trapped by the Silver Flame) who's siphoning off the divine power as a way to get out of his prison.

lebefrei
2016-03-08, 02:21 PM
Gods are not patrons of Warlocks. That is a cleric, or a favored soul, or possibly a paladin. "A warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being. Sometimes the relationship between warlock and patron is like that of cleric and deity, though the beings that serve as patrons for warlocks are not gods." Page 105 PHB. This is RAW.

Fluff is still a rule. It can be home brewed and house ruled away but that is straight from the PHB, and I like it personally. What that means is that none of the options listed by posts above make sense, even if they're fun ideas.

Yes, UA is play testing to be changed, as I explicitly stated that I like in my post. That is something I am glad of, as UL Warlock needs changing.

The Positive Energy Plane, until it shows any sign of sentience, is not a being. Great Old Ones, distance or not, strange or not, are. They should not be compared.

Eberron gods are gods. Silver Flame is brought up all the time for UL. It isn't eligible. Nothing that grants cleric spells should be a patron. They don't need warlocks, they have clerics and priests to spread their faith.

Regitnui
2016-03-08, 02:48 PM
Eberron gods are gods. Silver Flame is brought up all the time for UL. It isn't eligible. Nothing that grants cleric spells should be a patron. They don't need warlocks, they have clerics and priests to spread their faith.

While I agree with you, the critical mistake is that Eberron doesn't have gods. It's faith that powers divine magic, to the point where the Blood of Vol, which glorifies the self and the Divinity Within can grant spells without a deity ever involved. The Sovereign Host and their counterparts the Dark Six are of questionable existence at best. The Silver Flame is a coatl, paladin and rakshasa rajah locked together in purified demon flame. The Blood of Vol is a millennia-old cult run by a teenage lich. Even the all-knowing dragons have no idea whether their pantheon exists. The Three Progenitor Dragons may be just as much fiction as the Morgrave University Internal Audit. Of course, there being a mountain-sized dragon head in the middle of Argonessen might offer the progenitor dragons some legitimacy.

Anonymouswizard
2016-03-08, 04:53 PM
I can only speak for myself, but my PWYW content is there to be consumed. Sure I like money as much as the next guy, but if you don't want to go to the hassle of getting some credit to pay actual money, then go ahead and pay nothing. No hard feelings.
In fact, if I hadn't earned credit through selling things on DMsG, I wouldn't be willing to go to that level of effort either. I don't even have paypal as of now, so trying to actually pay for something would be way more hassle than it is worth.

Just make sure you review everything you purchase - especially those you purchase for free. It is tremendously difficult to get fair reviews for products on that site and it really is the least one can offer. I myself have made more than one purchase of products that I have no real interest in, just so I can give them a review.

I'll likely take you up on that, being a penniless student. I'll make sure to give a fair review starting with the Ranger, because I literally cannot afford to pay a penny.

With regards to UA, I'd love it if the next one was Defiling and Preserving, compatible with either spell slots or spell points, just because I'm a massive Dark Sun fan and 5e seems like it can do it better than 4e did. Sure, you're essentially limited to only the Barbarian, Druid, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Warlock/Cleric (depending on how you want to run elemental priests), and Cleric/Paladin (depending on how you want to run Templars) to keep the 2e feel, but with subclasses it's not like you have a distinct lack of choice for characters. (Athasian Bards would be a rogue archetype, maybe just Assassin, and a Background, Rangers would be fighters with the Outlander background, and Gladiators would be fighters with the Entertainer background, and so on.) Although this is mainly because I don't have any decent ideas for Defiling in 5e yet.

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-08, 07:09 PM

Although that was the case in 3.5, it appears to not be so in 5th edition.
I can find no reference in either the PHB or DMG to any game impacting traits from being on either the positive or negative planes.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-08, 07:48 PM
Although that was the case in 3.5, it appears to not be so in 5th edition.
I can find no reference in either the PHB or DMG to any game impacting traits from being on either the positive or negative planes.

Like I said, there isn't actually any dedicated section on the Positive Plane at all, just a few references in other areas. It's like they mostly forgot it exists (which, to be fair, happens a lot, given that it's the most desolate location on the Wheel). However, the general idea has, I believe, been there since the planes inception, so it's a safe bet to assume it remains the case, like it's a safe bet to assume Elminster remains CG and capable of casting 9th level spells despite the fact that this hasn't AFAIK been explicitly said in any 5e material.

Belac93
2016-03-08, 09:35 PM
With regards to UA, I'd love it if the next one was Defiling and Preserving, compatible with either spell slots or spell points, just because I'm a massive Dark Sun fan and 5e seems like it can do it better than 4e did. Sure, you're essentially limited to only the Barbarian, Druid, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Warlock/Cleric (depending on how you want to run elemental priests), and Cleric/Paladin (depending on how you want to run Templars) to keep the 2e feel, but with subclasses it's not like you have a distinct lack of choice for characters. (Athasian Bards would be a rogue archetype, maybe just Assassin, and a Background, Rangers would be fighters with the Outlander background, and Gladiators would be fighters with the Entertainer background, and so on.) Although this is mainly because I don't have any decent ideas for Defiling in 5e yet.

Hell yes. Athas for the WIN!

If they made a splatbook based on campaign setting, here is what I think I would want. (And what I think is most likely.) All things taken from my diseased imagination and one of Wizards surveys.
Planescape. Faction options (probably backgrounds), bladelings, and that one goat-taur race.
Ravenloft. Mongrelfolk, Paladin Oath, and Shadow Sorcerer official.
Ebberon. Official versions of everything in the UA.
Athas. Thri-kreen, Mul, Half-giants, defiling, templar warlock subclass, elemental priest cleric subcalss.
And, because why the hell not? Final version of the Mystic, Goblins, Kobolds, and just more races and subclasses! (Mystic is very needed for Athas and Ebberon).
And so much more. But I cannot list it all, and I feel like I'm crowding the thread.
This would make me a very happy person.

Anonymouswizard
2016-03-09, 09:28 AM
Hell yes. Athas for the WIN!

I plan to run a 2e game set on Athas soon. Get them all guarding a caravan (or along for the ride for Templars), raider attack (slave tribe, who'll focus on freeing the slaves), sandstorm, and boom, they are in the sandy wastes with what they can scavenge from the caravan and must decide what to do.

If they made a splatbook based on campaign setting, here is what I think I would want. (And what I think is most likely.) All things taken from my diseased imagination and one of Wizards surveys.
Planescape. Faction options (probably backgrounds), bladelings, and that one goat-taur race.
Ravenloft. Mongrelfolk, Paladin Oath, and Shadow Sorcerer official.
Ebberon. Official versions of everything in the UA.
Athas. Thri-kreen, Mul, Half-giants, defiling, templar warlock subclass, elemental priest cleric subcalss.
And, because why the hell not? Final version of the Mystic, Goblins, Kobolds, and just more races and subclasses! (Mystic is very needed for Athas and Ebberon).
And so much more. But I cannot list it all, and I feel like I'm crowding the thread.
This would make me a very happy person.

I'm not 100% certain Planescape fits with 5e's direction, but I think Sigil and the factions definitely should get a UA, it's fluff heavy but it'll be more interesting than this month's.

I don't own Ravenloft or Eberron, so no real opinion.

I agree with everything for Athas. I hope to see a full Mystic soon.

I'll probably homebrew some Athas stuff as soon as the DMsG opens to other settings, along with some rules for Birthright Bloodlines.

Belac93
2016-03-09, 09:52 AM
I'm not 100% certain Planescape fits with 5e's direction, but I think Sigil and the factions definitely should get a UA, it's fluff heavy but it'll be more interesting than this month's.

They did say in one of their reviews that all the ones I listed were in the 4 most popular.

Anonymouswizard
2016-03-09, 10:31 AM
They did say in one of their reviews that all the ones I listed were in the 4 most popular.

Sorry, what I meant was that 5e is trying to be more 'traditional D&D', closer to Dungeon Delving than the relatively thinky Planescape (Dark Sun can, at least, be all about dungeon delving and saving villagers).

But I think that's why they are the four most popular. They change a lot. Planescape is full of encounters you must think your way past. Ravenloft stops all attempts to fix everything. Dark Sun puts 8 powerful, extremely paranoid barriers in front of making things better, but focuses on the struggle (I also like the idea that beyond the Hinterlands there's livable areas with plants, it's just a nigh-impossible trek). Everton removes the certainty of gods and makes magic everyday. And all are more interesting tha n Forgotten Realms).

Again, really hoping other settings are made open to DMsG, including homebrew ones.