PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Two level dip for a ranger?

Ralanr
2016-03-06, 01:27 PM
So I'm leveling a dwarf axe and shield hunter ranger and I'm not sure what to take for the last two levels (level 4 at the moment, gonna start the multiclass after level 5. DM says we'll make it to twenty). I am debating on two levels in rogue for expertise and cunning action (shield master dwarf), or two levels in cleric (I only have a 12 in wisdom, so I'd need to increase my wisdom first) to try out the trickery cleric ability, though I don't have much spells that I would consider useful for that ability.

My party is an elemental monk (DM homebrewing a few things for more earth based stuff), A demonblade warlock, a totem barbarian (bear), and a storm cleric (originally a arcane trickster, but he and my bannerett fighter died to a hydra last session. so we're leveling up dwarf brothers now).

Any suggestions on what class I should take a two level dip in? I'm not looking to utilize finesse weapons since I am a dwarf that wants to use axes thank you.

coredump
2016-03-06, 01:38 PM
Why are you taking a dip at all?

PeteNutButter
2016-03-06, 01:46 PM
Just thought I'd point out you can't leave the ranger class until you get that wisdom to 13 first.

A two lvl fighter dip would get you action surge, another fighting style (either duelist or defense) and a little bit of healing.

Cleric is nice, maybe consider war domain for a free attack once or twice a day.

Can't go wrong with barbarian though, and scales well especially if you took hordebreaker at lvl 3 ranger(more attacks = more rage damage). Even just a single lvl in barbarian can add a lot of power, raging 2/day adds damage and resistance.

If you don't already have dueling style, definately take fighter at lvl 6. Even 1 lvl of fighter, and 1 lvl barbarian would be good. Why are you considering "2 lvl dip" specifically?

Sir cryosin
2016-03-06, 02:00 PM
If you duping fighter 2 lvs are nice but 3 lvs are better if you pick battlemaster.

Ralanr
2016-03-06, 02:08 PM
Why are you taking a dip at all?

I do not like the captstone and my group houserules feats as based around character progression rather than class levels (with the exclusion of extra fighter/rogue feats, which are considered class features).

Just thought I'd point out you can't leave the ranger class until you get that wisdom to 13 first.
Why are you considering "2 lvl dip" specifically?

1. Crap :smallfrown:
2. I don't like the capstone, but I do like the concept behind Feral Senses.

If you duping fighter 2 lvs are nice but 3 lvs are better if you pick battlemaster.

But then I lose feral senses. Though honestly I should just see how the campaign goes since we haven't fought invisible creatures before.

Spectre9000
2016-03-06, 02:15 PM
Paladin is great to pick up Divine Smite, and smites, so you can actually use your spell slots for something more than Hunter's Mark in melee, and keep progressing your caster level, but you need Strength 13 and Charisma 13 to pick it up.

Druid 2 can give you some cantrips and versatility with Wild Shape, not to mention 2 full caster levels.

Warlock 2 wouldn't be bad for picking up Dark One's Blessing (temp life on kill), Armor of Agathys (temp life and damage on being hit), and Invocations. Then there's also Eldritch Blast for a range option. Again, you'd need 13 Charisma though.

Like others have said, Fighter is a great choice for Action Surge, but I would really push to level 3 in Fighter just to pick up Champion for doubling your chance for criticals.

A Barbarian's rage is gonna get in the way of you doing any spellcasting and stop you from using Hunter's Mark as you can't concentrate.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-06, 02:28 PM
Geez, that is a pathetic capstone. Holy cow. Well, you can lose two levels and still get Feral Senses. And...

Barbarian gets you a 2/day combat boost; a second level gets you some more Reflex save and a do-or-die attack boost.
Bard gives you a skill, a bit of magic, and some crap inspiration; a second level gets you Jack of All Trades, though, which is nice.
Cleric can give you a whole bunch with all the domains coming in at first; you can easily get skills, spells, heavy armor... just like in 3.5, it doesn't look like you can go wrong with a Cleric dip.
Druid 2 gets you Wild Shape, two hours worth per short rest.
Fighter never, ever hurts.
Monk doesn't really overlap at all.
Paladin doesn't get you much unless you have a decent Cha.
Rogue is a great dip-- one level gets you Sneak Attack and Expertise and two nabs you Cunning Action. (Three would let you take Swashbuckler and basically always get +2d6 Sneak Attack)
Sorcerer doesn't offer much.
Warlock can give some real fun stuff-- lots of cantrips or a powerful familiar, telepathy, invocations... Beast Speech looks about perfect for a Ranger, Fiendish Vigor can't hurt, Misty Visions would just be so much fun, and Voice of the Chain Master would also be good with a low level investment-- and fitting. Take Pact of the Chain, Beast Speech and Voice of the Chain Master and you're, like, the beastiest Ranger ever to Ranger.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-06, 02:34 PM
I do not like the captstone and my group houserules feats as based around character progression rather than class levels (with the exclusion of extra fighter/rogue feats, which are considered class features).
But then I lose feral senses. Though honestly I should just see how the campaign goes since we haven't fought invisible creatures before.

Don't worry about feral senses. It's a neat niche ability that your party casters can reproduce with 1st or second lvl spells, faerie fire, see invisibility. Besides even if you go to level 20, you will likely only play one or two sessions at 20. All this means that you are giving up potentially powerful abilities for your characters entire career after level 5 in hopes that that one game you play lvl 20, will involve invisible creatures, in which case you would gain a minor advantage...

What you should do is make your character incredibly strong in the meantime. The classes are balanced around getting the ASI/feat at lvl four, meaning that most classes get nothing else at their fourth lvl. So take 3 lvls of anything you can. 3 fighter BM gives amazing moves; 3 barbarian gives resistance to nearly everything; if you have the cha for it 3 paladin gives smites and a cool ability (2 lvls is enough here); 3 lvls of warlock gives you a tome with amazing versatility; bard would give jack of all trades bonus to all your other skills and initiative.

Seriously staying in ranger is about the worst thing you can do from an optimzation stand point. There is nothing there for you really until lvl 15. Whirlwind is junk and the best spells are for bow rangers.
If you were Ranger 5/Fighter 3/Barbarian 3/Bard 3/Rogue 1... you'd have all the skills you could ever want and expertise in them, resistance to most damage, rage damage boost, BM moves, action surge, second wind, cutting words... and lose a couple ranger spells. You would be a walking swiss army knife. My point is that house HEAVILY favors multiclassing, to the point that staying in one class is gimping you.

Ralanr
2016-03-06, 02:55 PM
Don't worry about feral senses. It's a neat niche ability that your party casters can reproduce with 1st or second lvl spells, faerie fire, see invisibility. Besides even if you go to level 20, you will likely only play one or two sessions at 20. All this means that you are giving up potentially powerful abilities for your characters entire career after level 5 in hopes that that one game you play lvl 20, will involve invisible creatures, in which case you would gain a minor advantage...

What you should do is make your character incredibly strong in the meantime. The classes are balanced around getting the ASI/feat at lvl four, meaning that most classes get nothing else at their fourth lvl. So take 3 lvls of anything you can. 3 fighter BM gives amazing moves; 3 barbarian gives resistance to nearly everything; if you have the cha for it 3 paladin gives smites and a cool ability (2 lvls is enough here); 3 lvls of warlock gives you a tome with amazing versatility; bard would give jack of all trades bonus to all your other skills and initiative.

Seriously staying in ranger is about the worst thing you can do from an optimzation stand point. There is nothing there for you really until lvl 15. Whirlwind is junk and the best spells are for bow rangers.
If you were Ranger 5/Fighter 3/Barbarian 3/Bard 3/Rogue 1... you'd have all the skills you could ever want and expertise in them, resistance to most damage, rage damage boost, BM moves, action surge, second wind, cutting words... and lose a couple ranger spells. You would be a walking swiss army knife. My point is that house HEAVILY favors multiclassing, to the point that staying in one class is gimping you.

I think it might be fighter 3 or rogue 3. I made charisma my dump stat (we used an expensive point buy because we always rolled high stats for level 1 which made it harder for our DM) so it would be a waste to use 3 stat increases to boost it up.

Rogue probably makes the most sense as I imagine this guy as a guerrilla warfare combatant. Starting off an ambush by casting silence to hide mute the enemy panic. Downside is that since I'm focusing strength based shield build, I'm not utilizing sneak attack. This probably means battlemaster makes more sense since I can grab a few maneuvers to help me when surrounded by multiple enemies (also another strength I wanted to use, the Rangers ability to fight crowds effectively).

PeteNutButter
2016-03-06, 04:46 PM
I think it might be fighter 3 or rogue 3. I made charisma my dump stat (we used an expensive point buy because we always rolled high stats for level 1 which made it harder for our DM) so it would be a waste to use 3 stat increases to boost it up.

Rogue probably makes the most sense as I imagine this guy as a guerrilla warfare combatant. Starting off an ambush by casting silence to hide mute the enemy panic. Downside is that since I'm focusing strength based shield build, I'm not utilizing sneak attack. This probably means battlemaster makes more sense since I can grab a few maneuvers to help me when surrounded by multiple enemies (also another strength I wanted to use, the Rangers ability to fight crowds effectively).

Go both fighter and rogue. You can always wear a breastplate and take a expertise in stealth for good sneaking, or even take medium armor master feat and stick with half plate if your dex is 16+. Assassinate ability works with all weapons (and attack roll spells) if you can get it off.

Barbarian gives the most raw power in a one lvl dip though (unless you don't have dueling style already, then take fighter).

Sir cryosin
2016-03-06, 05:20 PM
That rogue assassin's auto crit is pretty nasty if your playing a gorilla or ambush style character. I play a magic assassin with using spells with attack rolls and it is devastating. I make good use with my rapier and green flame blade and sneak attack.

georgie_leech
2016-03-06, 06:08 PM
That rogue assassin's auto crit is pretty nasty if your playing a gorilla or ambush style character. I play a magic assassin with using spells with attack rolls and it is devastating. I make good use with my rapier and green flame blade and sneak attack.

http://barkeryear10vietnam.pbworks.com/f/44127R8YV_w.jpg

Gtdead
2016-03-06, 06:45 PM
I really think that going a shield+1h with ranger is a waste. You can optimize for an archery build and still be able to switch to shield+rapier whenever you feel like. You will be very versatile. For multiclassing, depends on how stealthy you are.

I'm not sure why you want a 2 level dip instead of 3. I feel that waiting till lvl 20 for blindfight isn't worth it. But I've never reached that high before. Also don't forget that you have darkvision. If you fight an invsible foe that doesn't have darkvision himself, then find a way to drop darkness and the disadvantage goes away.

If I had to go 2 lvl dip, I'd go 1 lvl arcana cleric (bless and 5 cantrips from both cleric and wizard list), and 1 level fighter for fighting style. For a lvl 3 dip I'd get a second level of fighter for action surge or go 3 level mastermind rogue for the amazing bonus help action and cunning action.