PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Funny build advice

chasepwll
2016-03-06, 03:41 PM
Hello,

I am trying to make a fun build for an upcoming game I will be involved in. Please let me know if this is in the wrong spot because this is my first post.

First of all, this is difficult because of the limited sources allowed. Therefore, please note the source you are referencing in your reply. The only books allowed are the 3.5 core rule books and most of, if not all the complete books. I have confirmed that most of the races of stone book will be allowed. We have not started the game so no rolls for stats yet. Assume a 32 point-buy starting at level 1. I currently have 3 ideas but no idea on how to make them come to fruition.

1st idea:
Dwarven Meteor. I saw a post on here not too long ago in which some people were joking around about a dwarf in Spiked Mountain Plate falling out of the sky to deal damage. The damage looked ridiculous and I would like to do something similar. I would make a near 3000lb dwarf that would be carried into the sky only to be dropped onto unsuspecting victims. The damage the dwarf took was minimal while the output was insane.

2nd idea:
Cthulu. The idea is to exploit the vague language on the warshaper class that doesn't say you have to change shape to grow or enhance natural weapons. I know that failure to restrict isn't permission, but I should be able to talk my DM into it. Essentially I would take the wizard to get polymorph, the druid to get wild shape, fighter to bear warrior to change shape, or any other suggestions that may be better for the build. After I meet the prerequisites, I would go warshaper and ride in a cart or be carried, using each move action to grow and improve natural attacks on my natural form, tentacles specifically. If I can't pass the idea by the DM, I would be able to spend however many rounds I have in polymorph growing and improving natural attacks until there are about 10 rounds left then unleash hell. I would start with enlarge person to save that many actions on growing tentacles.

3rd idea:
Combo. The most ideal situation would be to combine the two ideas. Falling from the sky to do ultimate damage and when I land start attacking people with natural attacks, all doing damage at colossal since they will be improved to that point.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to help build these ideas or other ideas that may be similar. Also, please note sources so I can shoot them by the DM. Finally, I would be unclear of the attack/buff order that i'll need to use so any help with that would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

MisterKaws
2016-03-06, 04:23 PM
Unless you have ways to ignore your own fall damage, which I assume you don't, since you're playing with limited resources, 1 is impossible.

From CW p90:

All of the following are class features of the warshaper prestige class. The class features function only when the warshaper is in a form other than her own (which for doppelganger and phasm warshapers is most of the time).

Still works as a Changeling though.

You could always go Changeling Monk and use the Monk's badly worded text(Monk's Unarmed Strike can be treated as manufactured for any beneficial effects), alongside Throw Anything(CW p105-106), to throw yourself at people.

Immabozo
2016-03-06, 04:36 PM
Hello,

I am trying to make a fun build for an upcoming game I will be involved in. Please let me know if this is in the wrong spot because this is my first post.

First of all, this is difficult because of the limited sources allowed. Therefore, please note the source you are referencing in your reply. The only books allowed are the 3.5 core rule books and most of, if not all the complete books. I have confirmed that most of the races of stone book will be allowed. We have not started the game so no rolls for stats yet. Assume a 32 point-buy starting at level 1. I currently have 3 ideas but no idea on how to make them come to fruition.

1st idea:
Dwarven Meteor. I saw a post on here not too long ago in which some people were joking around about a dwarf in Spiked Mountain Plate falling out of the sky to deal damage. The damage looked ridiculous and I would like to do something similar. I would make a near 3000lb dwarf that would be carried into the sky only to be dropped onto unsuspecting victims. The damage the dwarf took was minimal while the output was insane.

2nd idea:
Cthulu. The idea is to exploit the vague language on the warshaper class that doesn't say you have to change shape to grow or enhance natural weapons. I know that failure to restrict isn't permission, but I should be able to talk my DM into it. Essentially I would take the wizard to get polymorph, the druid to get wild shape, fighter to bear warrior to change shape, or any other suggestions that may be better for the build. After I meet the prerequisites, I would go warshaper and ride in a cart or be carried, using each move action to grow and improve natural attacks on my natural form, tentacles specifically. If I can't pass the idea by the DM, I would be able to spend however many rounds I have in polymorph growing and improving natural attacks until there are about 10 rounds left then unleash hell. I would start with enlarge person to save that many actions on growing tentacles.

3rd idea:
Combo. The most ideal situation would be to combine the two ideas. Falling from the sky to do ultimate damage and when I land start attacking people with natural attacks, all doing damage at colossal since they will be improved to that point.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to help build these ideas or other ideas that may be similar. Also, please note sources so I can shoot them by the DM. Finally, I would be unclear of the attack/buff order that i'll need to use so any help with that would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Unless you have ways to ignore your own fall damage, which I assume you don't, since you're playing with limited resources, 1 is impossible.

False. There is a difference between an impossible build, and a suboptimal/bad idea.

Another member of your party would likely need to work with you on it. It also would not work for the frst few levels until you could 1 survive the fall damage 100% of the time and 2, afford the equipment.

Idea 2 is abusing a known infinite loop. I discourage this build as NId6 damage is not going to be a fun game for anyone.

Idea 3, again, using an infinite loop for NI damage. Why not just build the build that turns into a black hole, or become a thrallherd, creating walking black hole bomb followers and sending them to the various planes to destroy the universe with black holes? While surviving in and becoming the ultimate terrorist and black mailing yourself into the emperor of the only land(s) you deem habitable?

daremetoidareyo
2016-03-06, 04:43 PM
1st idea:

great rift skyguard + bloodspiked charger

chasepwll
2016-03-06, 04:56 PM
Anti-impact from the complete warrior will reduce fall damage to me by half. Now I just need to figure out other ways to reduce that damage. I think there are boots that reduce fall damage by 2d6.

Found the thread I referenced before by searching best heavy armor.

daremetoidareyo
2016-03-06, 04:59 PM
Anti-impact from the complete warrior will reduce fall damage to me by half

acrobat boots attached to foot chakra too..

ATHATH
2016-03-06, 06:50 PM
Search up "jumplomancer".

Immabozo
2016-03-06, 09:27 PM
Search up "jumplomancer".

Although cute, that build uses jumping for a different reason, he is more falling, than jumping, with style

chasepwll
2016-03-07, 04:22 PM

This is the reason I asked on the thread. I want to find ways to decrease fall damage while making this a viable build.

chasepwll
2016-03-07, 04:33 PM
False. There is a difference between an impossible build, and a suboptimal/bad idea.

Another member of your party would likely need to work with you on it. It also would not work for the first few levels until you could 1 survive the fall damage 100% of the time and 2, afford the equipment.

Idea 2 is abusing a known infinite loop. I discourage this build as NId6 damage is not going to be a fun game for anyone.

I know its a bad idea and it wouldn't be viable for the first probably 10 or more levels. I have my other buddy who usually switches off DM'ing with me on my side with these ideas so we could make it work. I would have to have the whole party on my side for the warshaper one in order to grow enough naturals, especially if he doesn't allow me to grow unless I've changed shape.

I think if I go with idea 2 or 3 we would make a rule to the amount of natural attacks I could grow. I.E. how many tentacles would realistically fit on the body. This would cap the amount I could have along with the damage capping at colossal. I would probably only grow a few tentacles just to mess with the fighters and say look how many times I can attack without cleave etc.

gorfnab
2016-03-07, 06:01 PM
3rd idea:

Falling damage part:
Warforged
Max out racial weight modifier
Feat: Adamantine Body
Feat: Willing Deformity: Obese
Psychic Warrior power: Expansion
Swordsage maneuver: Shadow Jaunt, some other form of standard action teleport, or really high jump checks

Natural attack part:
Feat: Second Slam
Feat: Jaws of the Ripper
Feat: Improved Natural Attack
Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike + Superior Unarmed Strike + Snap Kick
Psychic Warrior Power: Claws of the Beast

Andorn
2016-03-07, 06:19 PM
There is a homebrew fey race somewhere on these boards called a syphe. It is a living thought, it's natural shape (maybe) is a medium-sized amorphous blob. It has alter self as a racial ability, to any other fey type.

So, get a cohort with a medium-sized catapult. get a ring of enlarge/reduce made, that does one or the other full time depending on which way you put it on. It should be fairly cheap, as it's a first level spell.

So, you change shape to a small fey, like a pixie, put the ring on reduce, and become tiny. Get catapulted into the air. Or fly, as you're a pixie, but it will take several rounds to climb to altitude. At the top of the arc, you alter self to a large size fey, and switch the ring to enlarge, becoming size huge. Take the heavy build feat. This setup will allow you to dramatically vary your size at a pretty low level, without even being a caster.

I think there is a feat somewhere that lets you gain a supernatural ability for a form you assume. Pixies have the advantage of invisibility at will, so they won't see you coming until you change to a different type of fey and come crashing down.

Immabozo
2016-03-07, 09:41 PM
I know its a bad idea and it wouldn't be viable for the first probably 10 or more levels. I have my other buddy who usually switches off DM'ing with me on my side with these ideas so we could make it work. I would have to have the whole party on my side for the warshaper one in order to grow enough naturals, especially if he doesn't allow me to grow unless I've changed shape.

I think if I go with idea 2 or 3 we would make a rule to the amount of natural attacks I could grow. I.E. how many tentacles would realistically fit on the body. This would cap the amount I could have along with the damage capping at colossal. I would probably only grow a few tentacles just to mess with the fighters and say look how many times I can attack without cleave etc.

Then, build 1 could certainly be made to work.

Build 2 can certainly be houseruled to work, and if you want to go for it, bby all means, go for it. I, personally, suggest the common houserule of growing 1 extra melee attack, or grow 1 natural attack by 1 size category.