PDA

View Full Version : Where is the eye of fear and flame

Studoku
2007-06-19, 02:34 AM
Look at Belkar in 467. He doesn't have the eye of fear and flame any more. Does anyone else think he dropped it when Hinjo pushed him in 263? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0463.html)

Green Bean
2007-06-19, 02:36 AM
Well, an Eye of Fear and Flame is an evil undead creature. Belkar's probably just hiding it from Hinjo because he doesn't want to lose it to a smiting.

Mr White
2007-06-19, 02:42 AM
Look at Belkar in 467. He doesn't have the eye of fear and flame any more. Does anyone else think he dropped it when Hinjo pushed him in 263? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0463.html)

He may have dropped it but he couldn't have lost it. Belkar was in a corridor so the skull couldn't just roll off and he certainly would've picked such a powerful weapon up again.

The other thing I'm wondering is whether the eye of fear and flame gains experience or Belkar. My guess is the eye so why does a Belkar use it (as Belkar kills for experience)?
Other than the coolness of frying dozens of hobgoblins, I can't see no reason. My guess is that we won't see a lot of the eye anymore until the plot or the situation absolutely requires it.

kpenguin
2007-06-19, 02:44 AM
The EoFaF is just where everything is when its not being used (Elan's Boots of Elvenkind, Roy's Bag of Tricks, Belkar's extra daggers, etc.)

Recursive
2007-06-19, 02:49 AM
The EoFaF is just where everything is when its not being used (Elan's Boots of Elvenkind, Roy's Bag of Tricks, Belkar's extra daggers, etc.)
Poor Blackwing. "It's bad enough that I spend all my time in this half-existent shadow realm...but who the hell invited a cowardly skull to hang out here too?"

Forevergrey
2007-06-19, 05:22 AM
My guess is the eye so why does a Belkar use it (as Belkar kills for experience)?

:belkar: I put the Eye of Fear and Flame in an Adidas bag and padded it out with four pairs of tennis socks, not my style at all, but that was what I was aiming for: If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy. So I decided to get as crude as possible.

Revlid
2007-06-19, 05:24 AM
If the Eye gets the exp, Belkar's probably using it because he can't get exp from the Hobgobbos.

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-19, 05:36 AM
Belkar kills things because he's sadistic. He like the sound they make as they fall, he like to hear them scream, he like to see them afraid. He does like XP, but mainly as a means to get more power, to kill more stuff.

jamroar
2007-06-19, 05:43 AM
He may have dropped it but he couldn't have lost it. Belkar was in a corridor so the skull couldn't just roll off and he certainly would've picked such a powerful weapon up again.

The other thing I'm wondering is whether the eye of fear and flame gains experience or Belkar. My guess is the eye so why does a Belkar use it (as Belkar kills for experience)?
Other than the coolness of frying dozens of hobgoblins, I can't see no reason. My guess is that we won't see a lot of the eye anymore until the plot or the situation absolutely requires it.

He's using it because he can't directly deal lethal damage to living hobgoblins while in city limits without triggering the curse on his Mark of Justice. That said, I don't see him getting to hang on to the EoFnF much longer.

Morbidian
2007-06-19, 06:07 AM

He's just storing it in the same place he usually keeps the lead sheet, to be pulled out whenever:

a.) needed
b.) funny
c.) both of the above

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-19, 06:38 AM
It's in his pocket. Haley (or Elan, more likely) sewed bags of holding where their pockets sould be. Haley probably invented the concept while she was working for the Theives' Guild, and Elan, being more of the domestic type, took everyones pants/robes/whatever, and spent a quiet evening with his needle and thread.

Of course, with Belkar, expect that the EoFaF will end up as his Codpiece!

:eek:

nocker
2007-06-19, 06:56 AM
Of course, with Belkar, expect that the EoFaF will end up as his Codpiece!
This sight ranks at the "so wrong that must be right" category.

squidthingy
2007-06-19, 07:03 AM

Belkar can't kill in the city because of the dormat curse on his forehead, he still wants to kill so he uses the EoFaF to do it for him

SteveMB
2007-06-19, 07:06 AM
He's just storing it in the same place he usually keeps the lead sheet
Well, one hopes not in the same place he usually keeps his Ring of Jumping.

drKarling
2007-06-19, 08:39 AM
Well, one hopes not in the same place he usually keeps his Ring of Jumping.
The phrase "bite my ass" suddenly gained a new meaning.

Nah, it's in hammerspace like everybodys inventory is anyways.
This is DnD. You can quite easily conceal a standard 10' pole on your body without people noticing.

RobbyPants
2007-06-19, 03:16 PM
Well, an Eye of Fear and Flame is an evil undead creature. Belkar's probably just hiding it from Hinjo because he doesn't want to lose it to a smiting.
That's what I think.

comicadv
2007-06-19, 08:48 PM
I agree it's just in a pocket or somthing to be pulled out whenever.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-06-19, 09:00 PM
Belkar kills for experience
Belkar kills for fun. He likes getting experience and treasure, but even if there was no possibility of either he'd still kill because, well, that's Belkar.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-19, 09:08 PM
That little undead head is resting comfortably in Hammerspace.

Glorfindel
2007-06-21, 03:13 AM
There (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html) is the Eye of Fear and Flame :belkar:

Foxtale
2007-06-21, 04:00 AM
Being that it's evil, and so is Belkar, is the fact that Belkar would destroy it the only thing keeping it from using a Fireball on the good guys as soon as it's turned to face them? In that case, once it discovers that Belkar is CE, will it attack his allies?

Emperor Ing
2007-06-21, 04:11 AM
A cowardly sentient skull in the possession of Belkar, and existing under his mercy is VERY unlikely to betray belkar if it wants to live, which we all know it does.

kirbsys
2007-06-21, 08:00 AM
Yeah unlike the hobbos, I dont think that one fireball would kill the OOTS, although personally, if someone found the body and purposely destroyed it, wouldn't the head stop working?

Quietus
2007-06-21, 09:15 AM
Yeah unlike the hobbos, I dont think that one fireball would kill the OOTS, although personally, if someone found the body and purposely destroyed it, wouldn't the head stop working?

Depends on how many hit points the body has, and how many the head has. If they're split at all, then they won't be able to kill the EoFaF without destroying the head as well.

Alysar
2007-06-21, 10:07 AM
It's too bad that Rich isn't familiar with Monkey Island or else we could get some good Murray jokes going.

Pvednes
2007-06-21, 10:09 AM
Same place as V's familiar.

RobbyPants
2007-06-21, 12:39 PM
Same place as V's familiar.
Nice.

*pop*

RyQ_TMC
2007-06-22, 10:40 AM
I'll say he keeps it SOMEWHERE on his person... Where? Just ask yourself, where does Haley keep her Bags of Holding, Elan his kazoo and Banjo, V his (I insist) spellbook, or ANY D&D character their 50 yards of rope?

There's just BOUND to be some sort of "astral pocket" (judging from the comic, located in the vicinity of the derriere) every character in every RPG uses. Come to that, literature, movies and video games have them as well.

Why don't I have one?

Thrall_Of_Ao
2007-06-22, 07:05 PM
Yes, you're right that the OOTS characters definitely have an "astral pocket" where they keep all their belongings.
Yes, it would be nice if we had one of our very own.

But I for one resent the "every character in every RPG" comment. :smalltongue:

All the characters I creat have a realistic location that each piece of equipment is carried (most of the time a backpack in case you were wondering), and I for one HATE 10 foot poles and generally make it a point to harass the players that carry them...(don't you even go there)!

-TOA

I'll say he keeps it SOMEWHERE on his person... Where? Just ask yourself, where does Haley keep her Bags of Holding, Elan his kazoo and Banjo, V his (I insist) spellbook, or ANY D&D character their 50 yards of rope?

There's just BOUND to be some sort of "astral pocket" (judging from the comic, located in the vicinity of the derriere) every character in every RPG uses. Come to that, literature, movies and video games have them as well.

Why don't I have one?

RadioDada
2007-06-23, 06:33 PM
:belkar: I put the Eye of Fear and Flame in an Adidas bag and padded it out with four pairs of tennis socks, not my style at all, but that was what I was aiming for: If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy. So I decided to get as crude as possible.

Sir, you rock more than a pile of boulders.
I love that story so much.