PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat

Rakoa
2016-03-06, 05:07 PM
I'll get right to the point! How would one build the most effective mounted combatant in 5e? Paladins no longer get their special mount, and I can't find any mounted supplements around, so...I'm worried that short of upgrading to bigger and better monsters every few levels, any mount is just going to be too squishy to stay alive.

MaxWilson
2016-03-06, 05:15 PM
Use the Paladin spell Find Steed and the Mounted Combatant feat, and a lance. Have fun killing things at advantage and then riding away before they can hit back.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-06, 05:22 PM
If you want to get super cheesy, take Dual Wielder and dual wield lances. Don't wait for paladin lvl 5. Either be a halfing and ride a buddy, or ride your wildshaped druid buddy.

Addaran
2016-03-06, 07:02 PM
Beastmaster Ranger could have tougher mounts as well as sharing protection spells. And with the feat, you can redirect attacks from the mount to you.

Flashy
2016-03-06, 07:13 PM
Beastmaster Ranger could have tougher mounts as well as sharing protection spells. And with the feat, you can redirect attacks from the mount to you.

Only if you're a gnome or a halfling though, since Beastmasters are restricted to medium or smaller beasts.

Addaran
2016-03-06, 07:25 PM
Only if you're a gnome or a halfling though, since Beastmasters are restricted to medium or smaller beasts.

For some reason i though it was only restricted by CR and you could pick a Horse. =(
Most DMs would probably allow it (if not AL) with how Beastmaster is considdered one of the worst archetype.

Flashy
2016-03-06, 07:27 PM
For some reason i though it was only restricted by CR and you could pick a Horse. =(
Most DMs would probably allow it (if not AL) with how Beastmaster is considdered one of the worst archetype.

Yeah, I've always thought a Beastmaster with one of those giant lizards that can walk on walls would be enormous fun if I could get a DM to agree to it.

Auramis
2016-03-06, 08:03 PM

You're probably thinking of how druid Wildshaping works. They're restricted by CR, but not by size iirc.

Auramis
2016-03-06, 11:51 PM
Adding another point, if you're really wanting to get into mounted combat, they actually did put out the template for a cavalier in the January UA (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf). If anything should work well in mounted combat, that might do the trick. Multiclassing into paladin if you want the Find Steed spell too could help out.