PDA

View Full Version : Spells as Attack of Opportunity?

HuskyBoi
2016-03-06, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone, how are we doing? Just as the title of this thread suggests, I have a question to my more experienced players of 3.0 and 3.5 DnD, and Pathfinder. Among the thousands of feats, class and prestige class abilities, variant classes and archetypes, among the whole shop of the rules... does anyone know of a way in which one can cast spells in place of making an attack of opportunity.

From a roleplaying perspective, it doesn't seem immediately unfair- it's not hard to imagine a giant moving in to grab the wizard, who responds not with his piddly dagger jabbing at the giant's outstretched palm, but with the form of attack he tends to favour (be that a bolt of fire, a shocking grasp, or an inflict spell).

That said, from a rules perspective I can see how it could rapidly become abused- a regular attack of opportunity has one target, an attack of opportunity fireball could hit four or five opponents. And lord knows, it's not like casters need more help in combat.

But all the same, as my wizard was picked up by the giant and found himself being waved through the air, spangly magic hat tumbling to the ground and presenting the entire rest of the party with a hilarious up-robe shot of a plump, middle-aged man who enjoys port and shouting "BEGONE, FOUL FIEND!', ol' Tiberius felt himself thinking: "I can unweave the magical energies that bind demons or angels to this plane, and I can peer deep into the minds of mortal beings. I can freeze their muscles in place with a touch, or immolate my foes in an explosion of purple flames, all with but a wave of my hands and an eldritch incantation. Why then, when my foe left himself open, presented me with an opportunity, if you will.. why, in that moment of opportunity, did I elect to hit him with my walking-stick?"

So aye. Can anyone advise me on this? Are feats broadly relating to this available (or classes, etc). Your kind and generous advice is much appreciated in advance!

Troacctid
2016-03-06, 09:18 PM
The Spell Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellOpportunity) feat does this. Unfortunately, its requirements may be somewhat prohibitive.

Psions have it a bit easier with Opportunity Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#opportunityPower).

HuskyBoi
2016-03-06, 09:21 PM
The Spell Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellOpportunity) feat does this. Unfortunately, its requirements may be somewhat prohibitive.

Psions have it a bit easier with Opportunity Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#opportunityPower).

Aha, that makes sense! Thankyou. Yes, I suppose by the time you have 25 ranks in Spellcraft, the game is not really functioning as most games do, so the question of the rules being a bit broken are different- and making it a touch spell neatly focuses it. Thankyou very much :smallbiggrin:

ATHATH
2016-03-06, 09:42 PM
You could also just use Celerity.

Troacctid
2016-03-06, 10:00 PM
Certain spells can also be used to make attacks of opportunity as part of their effect. Ghostly Tail (Races of the Dragon) and Evard's Menacing Tentacles (Player's Handbook II) are probably the prime examples of this.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-06, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately, psions don't have many touch attack powers, but the convert-spell-to-power erudite fixes this. Just take the CStP erudite and find some nice touch powers to use, such as ghoul touch, shocking grasp, and shivering touch.

Also, convert some buff spells and arcane healing spells (such as cure light wounds from a bard), massively increase your natural reach, and make touch attacks of opportunity against allies with them.

Combine this with spell storing dye arrows (from Pathfinder) to heal and buff via a bow and arrows.

ace rooster
2016-03-07, 08:39 AM
Holding touch spells is fine, and lets you do this. Spell flower (I think) lets you hold multiple touch spells, and produce flame grants you a touch attack that can be used for AoOs.

atemu1234
2016-03-07, 08:59 AM
Aha, that makes sense! Thankyou. Yes, I suppose by the time you have 25 ranks in Spellcraft, the game is not really functioning as most games do, so the question of the rules being a bit broken are different- and making it a touch spell neatly focuses it. Thankyou very much :smallbiggrin:

Honestly Epic feats are underwhelming, to say the least.

RoyVG
2016-03-07, 09:55 AM
Holding touch spells is fine, and lets you do this. Spell flower (I think) lets you hold multiple touch spells, and produce flame grants you a touch attack that can be used for AoOs.

This would be the best way, simply cast a touch spell before you think you'll get a AoO, and hold the charge. The first thing you touch will be affected by the spell. Rulewise it's the easiest way. In actual play it's much harder because you need to think ahead, and it takes up your actions which you could have used to fire a stronger spell in the first place.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-07, 02:43 PM
This would be the best way, simply cast a touch spell before you think you'll get a AoO, and hold the charge. The first thing you touch will be affected by the spell. Rulewise it's the easiest way. In actual play it's much harder because you need to think ahead, and it takes up your actions which you could have used to fire a stronger spell in the first place.Be careful with doing this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM)