The Giant
2016-03-07, 07:30 AM
New comic is up.

Gift Jeraff
2016-03-07, 07:33 AM
Wow, Belkar didn't die!

Brion
2016-03-07, 07:33 AM
Hah! Take that, Banjo conspiracies! Also I really missed Belkar.

SterlingAvenger
2016-03-07, 07:34 AM
I love Roy and Elan :smallsmile:, and Belkar's continued annoyance with Roy agreeing with him will never get old.
Thank you Giant!

waccio
Excelent, as always.

Poor Banjo! I really feel sorry for that Little God.

Spike440
That finally puts the Banjo nonsense to rest. Great comic.

Michaeler
Did Elan just accept Banjo may be only a puppet? I'm scared.

Sniper Jo
2016-03-07, 07:35 AM
Bahahahaha.
Edging into triple fantasy territory, there, Roy.

Hamste
2016-03-07, 07:35 AM
Heh, I like the reference to all the people asking if Banjo could solve the vote.

zql
2016-03-07, 07:37 AM
Nice strip. I love Haley's hair.

fishguy
2016-03-07, 07:40 AM
Now the special ability of their transport will show its value, it doesn't matter how long it takes for the dwarves to assemble because our heroes will arrive just in the nick of time no matter what!

Onyavar
2016-03-07, 07:40 AM
Poor Belkar, people agree to what he said.

Great strip, wrapping this part of the arc up.

Edit: The Banjo argument stuff was was weird when in-comic. But since people addressed this concern in the forums so often, it probably needed to be done.

Mad Humanist
2016-03-07, 07:43 AM
I wonder how much role the Godsmoot will continue to play. Presumably the vote-fixing plot will be thwarted but will we even see Veldrina, Wrecan and the high priests again?

Stabbey
2016-03-07, 07:45 AM
Ah ha ha, great comic. I almost can't believe Rich replied to all the silly speculation about Banjo, but this was a great response to that.

Xapi
2016-03-07, 07:45 AM

Edit: The Banjo argument stuff was was weird when in-comic. But since people addressed this concern in the forums so often, it probably needed to be done.

I don't think it needed to be done, just that it was a funny thing to do. And this is a funny comic, most of the times.

Nightcanon
2016-03-07, 07:47 AM
Well, that answers the Banjo issue, finally.
Poor Belkar, his righteous indignation short-ciruited by Roy's mea culpas at every turn.

Killer Angel
2016-03-07, 07:49 AM
HE'S A PUPPET!

Tnx, Giant, that detail was often overlooked, around here... :smallbiggrin:

DigoDragon
2016-03-07, 07:50 AM
Opaque hourglass, gotta remember that for a dungeon trap. :3

ben-zayb
2016-03-07, 07:53 AM
Were they worried that Roy not being himself is similar to Durkula, or did I completely miss what's actually going on?

Skull the Troll
2016-03-07, 07:54 AM
New comic is up.

That last line of panel was hysterical! Nicely done Giant!

Edhelras
Did Elan actually understand something there? With his "OH!" ? Without having to have it patiently explained to him?

Is it character development we're seeing here? Or even someone putting their new STAT-point into INT?

wesleytj
Thanks for the shout-out to quell the "Banjo should have voted" crowd :)

kaoskonfety
What a delightful answer to "why didn't Banjo vote". Huzzah!

wesleytj
2016-03-07, 07:56 AM
Were they worried that Roy not being himself is similar to Durkula, or did I completely miss what's actually going on?

Yeah, I think you did.

Starwulf
2016-03-07, 08:00 AM
Huzzah for Belkar surviving a little longer and getting to say I told you so(even though all the fun was taken out of it).

Darth Paul
2016-03-07, 08:01 AM
Brilliance. And I liked the moment of witnessing V and Belkar landing on deck to get all the OOTS back together.

johnbragg
2016-03-07, 08:02 AM

No, that expression is relief that Elan's lack of responsibility can continue.

And/or perhaps concern that something dark and sinister had happened to Roy.

BannedInSchool
2016-03-07, 08:02 AM
Disgusting anti-Banjoitism! :smalltongue:

Michaeler
2016-03-07, 08:03 AM

They were scared that Roy was overcompensating for not believing Belkar by believing everything including what Elan says about Banjo.

Talyn
2016-03-07, 08:04 AM
Belkar: STOP DOING THAT!

Classic.

Edhelras
2016-03-07, 08:07 AM
Brilliance. And I liked the moment of witnessing V and Belkar landing on deck to get all the OOTS back together.

All?

*ahem* :durkon:

The party seems to be more deeply split now than ever before.

Perhaps the best solution would be for Blackwing to take some levels in Cleric. Rich already in his comments in Blood runs in the family acknowledged that Blackwing was to be a permanent addition to the party. Time he made himself useful...

DreadArchon
2016-03-07, 08:22 AM
Nice!

The set-up on that joke was great, it was nice to get a strip that was more joke than plot. I think it will help the pacing in the book and whatnot.

FlumphPaladin
2016-03-07, 08:29 AM
Awwwww, snap! The Banjo-theorists got it good this time!

Neoriceisgood
2016-03-07, 08:35 AM
Alright entire team back together, time for a visit to dwarlandia! :smallbiggrin:

Auric
2016-03-07, 08:48 AM
Can someone cast Cure Minor Wounds on Belkar soon? Or at least get him a potion?

Ninja Dragon
2016-03-07, 08:55 AM
Did Elan actually understand something there? With his "OH!" ? Without having to have it patiently explained to him?

Is it character development we're seeing here? Or even someone putting their new STAT-point into INT?

I think the joke here is that Roy is taking his teamamets seriously enough to the point he did a long lecture on why Banjo wouldn't be part of the voting, when before he'd have dismissed Elan right away. Even Elan was impressed at Roy's change of behavior. When Roy came to his senses and dismissed the whole thing, Elan was relieved. The joke here is that Elan is self-aware enough to know Roy is not supposed to take him seriously.

Gusion
2016-03-07, 09:00 AM
New comic is up.

Thank you. I hope this finally shuts down these Banjo fanatics.

foobar1969
2016-03-07, 09:00 AM
Somewhere in Gobbotopia, Hobgoblin Interior Decorator #1 (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging) feels a strange twinge to the north...

HuntedWalrus
2016-03-07, 09:03 AM
This whole "Belkar semi-redemption" thing is the best thing to happen to his character. He's always been fun, but now he's finally interesting to watch.

Gusion
2016-03-07, 09:08 AM
Although, I did kinda hope to see Veldrina cure her kitty cat.

Giant, could you show it while V is talking to Roy about a retrospective of what happened on board please? Just a cutaway with a greater restoration would work... I don't want him to be a Schrödinger's cat!

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-07, 09:14 AM
Although, I did kinda hope to see Veldrina cure her kitty cat.

Giant, could you show it while V is talking to Roy about a retrospective of what happened on board please? Just a cutaway with a greater restoration would work... I don't want him to be a Schrödinger's cat!
The reason that Schrödinger used a cat was that a tiger wouldn't fit into the box.

Goosefarble
2016-03-07, 09:14 AM
Aww, that was such a cute joke at the end.

LunarDrop
2016-03-07, 09:16 AM
Oh my gods, yes.

Love how Belkar's still pissed off, just look at his face in the second panel.
I missed the little guy, one of my favorite characters.

Happy Monday, everyone. Great way to start off the week.

IDrankWHAT
2016-03-07, 09:27 AM
Belkar...once again face-rubbing blocked! That's what cracks me up most about him, just when he thinks he's one up, he gets thanked and told GREAT JOB! when all he wants to do is rub it somebody's face he was right! Sadly, I know people just like that, except they're not short. Or barefoot. Or funny.

Kantaki
2016-03-07, 09:31 AM
I really like Elan’s panicked expression when Roy gives him a answer regarding Banjo instead of dismissing him immediately.
I mean even Elan is aware that worshipping a puppet is pretty silly and that only he (and a few orcs) would do so.
His reaction to Haley’s opaque hourglass analogy was pretty good too- He certainly is getting smarter.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-03-07, 09:32 AM
Oh, finally, hopefully that lays that joke to rest.

Now we can all get back to worshipping Banjulhu. :smallyuk:

Jay R
2016-03-07, 09:36 AM
Well, we finally got the band back together.

[Yes, I know. But when a band gets back together, it's moderately common for one or two members to be busy with another project, and unable to join them.]

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-07, 09:42 AM
I, personally, choose to accept this as foreshadowing that Banjo is going to smite a low-level vampire cleric during a later fight sequence. just to prove Roy wrong. :P

Also, so being able to Summon Proxy was the reason they needed a cleric of that level. Well, that covers that, then.

Now... will the next strip hop back to the fHPoH and posse, or is the Andi/Bandana disagreement going to simmer a bit more with this newest development?

aurilee
2016-03-07, 09:46 AM
Somewhat disappointed we didn't get to see V return Veldrina's tiger, but I suppose re-visitied the Godsmoot that would have also cheapened the big farewell sequence.

Meanwhile most of the gang's back together and everyone's in fine form!

I like the look of general displeasure on V and Belkar's face in the 2nd panel. I imagine neither enjoyed having to fly together like that.

rman
2016-03-07, 09:48 AM
The Giant has a very hard task. Banjo made a neat little joke at the time. But now every time the gods might come into play the existence of Banjo has to be considered. This means every little joke, that might be a little throw away at time has the possibility to come back and have to be worked around in the future.

Quite the task the Giant has. But so far great work and great respect for his talent.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 09:50 AM
Is this Mr. Burlew's response to all the people saying "Banjo is going vote?"

Because if it is, thank you

Take that Acolytes of Banjo!

Silferdrake
2016-03-07, 09:56 AM
Belkar is right. It's really hard to argue against someone who is agreeing with you.

Also, I love Elan's face in the second to last panel - after all these years I still find it amazing how stick figures can express so many emotions.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 09:57 AM
Belkar is right. It's really hard to argue against someone who is agreeing with you.

I tried that once, It didn't work out

hoplathemightly
2016-03-07, 09:58 AM
All?
Perhaps the best solution would be for Blackwing to take some levels in Cleric. Rich already in his comments in Blood runs in the family acknowledged that Blackwing was to be a permanent addition to the party. Time he made himself useful...

Not sure if serious suggestion or screwy sarcasm....

Ghost Nappa
2016-03-07, 10:01 AM
Take that, Audience!

Myself included!:smalleek:

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 10:02 AM
All?

*ahem* :durkon:

The party seems to be more deeply split now than ever before.

Familiars can take up a class/classes?

I've never played as a wizard, so I don't know how familiars work

dtilque
2016-03-07, 10:11 AM
That finally puts the Banjo nonsense to rest.

You think so? Hahahahahaha!!!

Quebbster
2016-03-07, 10:18 AM
Can someone cast Cure Minor Wounds on Belkar soon? Or at least get him a potion?
Guess Elan got promoted from back-up healer to straight up healer for the rest of this storyline...
Oh, and the Mechane does have a cleric on board I Believe.

Yendor
2016-03-07, 10:20 AM
"Hmm, people keep asking a really, really dumb question on the forum. How do I address it in the comic? I know, I'll have Elan ask it." :smalltongue:

Incidentally, I'm surprised Elan knows what "opaque" means.

JSSheridan
2016-03-07, 10:20 AM
Thanks Giant!

Kantaki
2016-03-07, 10:24 AM
That finally puts the Banjo nonsense to rest. Great comic.

You have to be new there. Nothing ever rests in the Playground. Not for long at least. It is only a matter of time until even the craziest, most unlikely theories arise from their (swallow) grave.:smallamused:

137beth
2016-03-07, 10:26 AM
At last, the Banjo conspiracy threads will come to an end!
...to be replaced by some other weird prediction thread, obviously.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-03-07, 10:32 AM
As all the others are yelling in celebration: does that finally answer that question?

Good to know at least someone reads the posts we make here. :smalltongue:

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 10:32 AM
Hate Elan, love Roy and Belkar

Still a great comic.

Lerch
2016-03-07, 10:37 AM
Familiars can take up a class/classes?

I've never played as a wizard, so I don't know how familiars work

Normally I don't think they can.....but followers are able. But since we've seen him use "evasion". I don't think Blackwing can qualify as a follower and familiar. Unless his penchant for stealing baubles has unknowingly given him a couple levels of rogue

Just a thought.

Lkctgo
2016-03-07, 10:45 AM
Don't like the fact that Elan is now the primary healer of the team. Hopefully Belkar dies in a way that massive damage is caused, and not damage by multiple enemies.

Breccia
2016-03-07, 10:48 AM

He's invisible (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)!

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-07, 10:50 AM
The reason that Schrödinger used a cat was that a tiger wouldn't fit into the box.

They tried schrodingers tiger but the examiner couldn't determine if *he'd* be dead if he opened the box.

Blanth
2016-03-07, 11:02 AM
Disgusting anti-Banjoitism! :smalltongue:

All non-believers will be punched backstage!

Emperordaniel
2016-03-07, 11:05 AM
You have to be new there. Nothing ever rests in the Playground. Not for long at least. It is only a matter of time until even the craziest, most unlikely theories arise from their (swallow) grave.:smallamused:

...just like Banjulhu.

TuringTest
2016-03-07, 11:12 AM
I'm uncertain about the reason why Elan gets all upset. :smallconfused:

Is it because Roy's explanation means that Elan could have voted, if only he had been capable of casting the high-end clerical spell, and therefore he will be partly responsible for the end of the world?

Or because he thinks Hel may still try to kill him and replace him with a high-level undead, as high priest of Banjo?

In any case, Roy's punchline works as intended as the true reason why Elan should not be worried for not solving a problem well out of his league. :smallbiggrin:

zimmerwald1915
2016-03-07, 11:15 AM
On the one hand, it pains me that a strip like this was necessary to address the baseless Banjo speculation.

On the other, it was funny.

Jay R
2016-03-07, 11:16 AM

"Cat" is a generic word. The cat both is and is not a tiger until somebody opens the box.

This is a good reason to not open the box.

zimmerwald1915
2016-03-07, 11:17 AM
At last, the Banjo conspiracy threads will come to an end!
...to be replaced by some other weird prediction thread, obviously.
Does Haley putting her ponytail up mean that she's embracing her celestial heritage? :smallamused:

Kantaki
2016-03-07, 11:18 AM

Is it because Roy's explanation means that Elan could have voted, if only he had been capable of casting the high-end clerical spell, and therefore he will be partly responsible for the end of the world?

Or because he thinks Hel may still try to kill him and replace him with a high-level undead, as high priest of Banjo?

In any case, Roy's punchline works as intended as the true reason why Elan should not be worried for not solving a problem well out of his league. :smallbiggrin:

I think it's more that Roy gave a real, very elaborate answer instead of just dismissing him with the third point. Elan is worried because his best friend acts very unsusual and they were just talking about something very similar with Durkon. It's a ":smalleek:Is that really Roy, or is something else?"

Anarion
2016-03-07, 11:20 AM
Well, at least that bit of speculation has now been completely headed off and nobody will ever wonder if Banjo could have....no, no I can't even finish the sentence.

Throknor
2016-03-07, 11:22 AM
Roy literally said "I need to take my teammates more seriously" just before Elan asked a possibly serious question. So he gave a serious answer. Then, when he saw Elan was getting worked up, he angrily gave the not-serious answer "he's just a puppet".

Hence Belkar's comment about not swinging too far to treat everything seriously.

Brilliant all around.

Legoshrimp
2016-03-07, 11:26 AM
On the one hand, it pains me that a strip like this was necessary to address the baseless Banjo speculation.

The idea might have come up, but the bolded part is the reason it was included.

I don't really think there is any reason to refute it.
Although if you remember banjo was pretty close to being in the pantheon.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html

King of Nowhere
2016-03-07, 11:26 AM
Hahaha, it took me a few seconds to understand it

Kantaki
2016-03-07, 11:29 AM
Roy literally said "I need to take my teammates more seriously" just before Nale asked a possibly serious question. So he gave a serious answer. Then, when he saw Nale was getting worked up, he angrily gave the not-serious answer "he's just a puppet".

Hence Belkar's comment about not swinging too far to treat everything seriously.

Brilliant all around.

:smalleek:Nale?:smalleek: Did he pull that switch-out plan again? Wait a minute... Does that mean Tarquin murdered Elan in the desert?:eek:

LunarDrop
2016-03-07, 11:34 AM
Somewhat disappointed we didn't get to see V return Veldrina's tiger, but I suppose re-visitied the Godsmoot that would have also cheapened the big farewell sequence.

Meanwhile most of the gang's back together and everyone's in fine form!

I like the look of general displeasure on V and Belkar's face in the 2nd panel. I imagine neither enjoyed having to fly together like that.

They don't seem to have a problem with it -they've done it before. (See comic 933) No, I just think Belkar is still just pissed about not being able to rub in the fact that he was right.

M.A.D
2016-03-07, 11:42 AM
I think it's more that Roy gave a real, very elaborate answer instead of just dismissing him with the third point. Elan is worried because his best friend acts very unsusual and they were just talking about something very similar with Durkon. It's a ":smalleek:Is that really Roy, or is something else?"

Or Elan was feeling uncomfortable because Roy was being serious the whole comic, without any sign of showing that he'd get to a punch line

Curupira
2016-03-07, 11:57 AM
Roy literally said "I need to take my teammates more seriously" just before Nale asked a possibly serious question.

:thog: Not Nale, Not-Nale.

Toper
2016-03-07, 12:02 PM

The idea might have come up, but the bolded part is the reason it was included.

I don't really think there is any reason to refute it.
Agree. I don't think Rich finds it "necessary" to address forum arguments in the comic -- it's just a great joke that flows naturally from Roy's resolution to respect the team. It's certainly relevant to forum discussions as well, but I wouldn't assume that the discussions therefore caused the comic, which stands very well on its own.

a1chemi
2016-03-07, 12:10 PM
End speculation on Banjo voting. Recommence speculation that Rich writes comics in response to the questions/complaints of the forum.

I think Rich implanted this theory in our minds just so he could make us all feel more involved when we read this comic. Dance puppets! Dance!

DaggerPen
2016-03-07, 12:17 PM
If you'll excuse me I'm just going to be over here dying of laughter. Well played, Giant. Well played.

NihhusHuotAliro
2016-03-07, 12:17 PM
Good strip.

New facial expression on elan.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 12:20 PM
Speaking of expressions is ithe just me or do the eek lines look strange in this one?

axus
2016-03-07, 12:29 PM
No.... I was sad that half the comic was wasted addressing that! It almost makes me want to stop endlessly arguing on forums. Almost!

ReleaseTheBees
2016-03-07, 12:30 PM
The art upgrade continues to add new details and keep things fresh. Did you know Roy was taller than Elan? Adds a subtle "big brother" dynamic too (Elan looks up to Roy!) unlike in, say, #330 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html) where they are the same height.

Doug Lampert
2016-03-07, 12:37 PM
I don't think it needed to be done, just that it was a funny thing to do. And this is a funny comic, most of the times.

+1, we really need a like button on this forum.

"Hmm, people keep asking a really, really dumb question on the forum. How do I address it in the comic? I know, I'll have Elan ask it." :smalltongue:

If Rich were seriously worried about people being dumb on the forum, he'd post the explanation on the forum. He's done so in the past, often enough that the index is up to it's fifth incarnation (so 200+ pages of comments about The Giant's comments).

That said, having Elan be the one to bring up Banjo does help to make it clear that it's not a great idea. Then Roy gives 2 perfectly good reasons it wouldn't work even if Banjo were a god, and also says "Third, he's a puppet."

Sybarith
2016-03-07, 12:40 PM
Woo comic!

I'm kind of curious, is this the final stretch of the Order of the Stick storyline?

Please tell me there's still lots more to go :smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2016-03-07, 12:43 PM
Woo comic!

I'm kind of curious, is this the final stretch of the Order of the Stick storyline?

Please tell me there's still lots more to go :smallbiggrin:

Were approaching the halfway point for this book, I believe, and theres one more to go after this, plus I believe Rich has plans for (at least) one more prequel book, should he ever actually have time available to work on it.

Anansiil
2016-03-07, 01:09 PM
I think the joke here is that Roy is taking his teamamets seriously enough ..... When Roy came to his senses and dismissed the whole thing, Elan was relieved. The joke here is that Elan is self-aware enough to know Roy is not supposed to take him seriously.

Great theories. I'm actually quite confused by Elan's distress...

End speculation on Banjo voting. Recommence speculation that Rich writes comics in response to the questions/complaints of the forum.

I think Rich implanted this theory in our minds just so he could make us all feel more involved when we read this comic. Dance puppets! Dance!

THAT explains why he writes such excellent villains!!!

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 01:17 PM
The art upgrade continues to add new details and keep things fresh. Did you know Roy was taller than Elan? Adds a subtle "big brother" dynamic too (Elan looks up to Roy!) unlike in, say, #330 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html) where they are the same height.

Wrong, Durkon and Belkar are shorter than Roy, Elan, Haley, and Vaarsuvius

Fitzclowningham
2016-03-07, 01:20 PM
Roy says to Belkar: "I wanted to believe that nothing had really changed - that Durkon was still Durkon and that you were still an untrustworthy jerk."

Roy is saying he didn't want to believe what he now knows to be true, that Durkon is definitely not still Durkon. Does he also mean that he no longer thinks of Belkar as an untrustworthy jerk?

Bulldog Psion
2016-03-07, 01:22 PM
Going to Dwarven Lands!

Like Elan hoping for dinosaurs in the desert, I continue to hope for woolly mammoths here. :smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2016-03-07, 01:25 PM
Roy says to Belkar: "I wanted to believe that nothing had really changed - that Durkon was still Durkon and that you were still an untrustworthy jerk."

Roy is saying he didn't want to believe what he now knows to be true, that Durkon is definitely not still Durkon. Does he also mean that he no longer thinks of Belkar as an untrustworthy jerk?

Belkar has always been a fairly trustworthy jerk, at least in that you can trust him to be a jerk.

LunarDrop
2016-03-07, 01:29 PM
I find the fact that Rich felt the need to diss the Banjo conspirators hilarious. I love it when he goes meta.

Jasdoif
2016-03-07, 01:30 PM
I'm actually quite confused by Elan's distress...I got an "I don't want to alarm you, but I think you're having a psychotic break" vibe there.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 01:35 PM
Belkar has always been a fairly trustworthy jerk, at least in that you can trust him to be a jerk.

A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you gotta watch out for, savvy?

Porthos
2016-03-07, 01:36 PM
Beautiful. Simply, beautiful. :smallcool:

Jasdoif
2016-03-07, 01:41 PM
If Rich were seriously worried about people being dumb on the forum, he'd post the explanation on the forum. He's done so in the past, often enough that the index is up to it's fifth incarnation (so 200+ pages of comments about The Giant's comments).Even more direct than that:

If I really just wanted to shut up forum-goers, I would just post a clarification here, not spend comic time explaining something that I don't think needs explaining.

Porthos
2016-03-07, 01:41 PM
BTW, I file Elan getting upset as Doublethink (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink) in action. Elan has mastered the two contradictory thoughts in his head that Banjo is alive and a god and the opposite idea that it is just a puppet. He simultaneously thinks that Banjo is a god, yet has the capability to be weirded out by other people taking the idea seriously if the situation warrants it.

Trying to reason it out would be like trying to reason out how Elan knew ahead of time that Nale was still alive, yet acted surprised when he saw him.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 01:46 PM
Tl;Dr
You'll give yourself a migraine :nale:

Calemyr
2016-03-07, 01:48 PM
Look guys, it's really simple:

Roy: Yes. I screwed up. From now on I'm going to take my team more seriously.
Elan: Okay, what about Banjo voting?
Roy: Here's a serious and thought out line of reasoning why Banjo wouldn't have been able to vote.
Elan: Holy crap! You're taking me seriously?
Roy: He's also a puppet.
Elan: Oh, okay. Whew! So you're not taking me too seriously. Half the humor in this story would die if you did that.

I will point out that, while Banjo didn't play a part in this chapter, he's still a gun Chekov continues to polish. This just looked like a good place to get that taken care of.

Porthos
2016-03-07, 01:50 PM
Tl;Dr
You'll give yourself a migraine :nale:

Pretty much. Just have to accept it, file it under "When it is Funny (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny)/Dramatic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfDrama)" and move on. :smallwink:

Quild
2016-03-07, 01:55 PM
I think you're asking yourself the wrong question. It the list of thing Elan knows, there's the very solid fact that Roy considers Banjo as a simple puppet.
That's why Elan got very worried. It's quite frightening when such certainties are thrown down.

There's a chance that the Giant had this strip in mind ever before we heard of the Godsmoot. Or before the question being raised on the forums anyway.

Vectner
2016-03-07, 02:01 PM
So I get it now, Banjo is a metaphor for us (the puppets) and rich is actually Elan (the puppet master). Then that makes us a god of puppets? I might have to think this through a bit more.

Reddish Mage
2016-03-07, 02:05 PM
Thank you forum-nitpickers! This was strip was clearly an answer meant just for you :smallamused:

Evil Genius
2016-03-07, 02:08 PM
Just registered to say Blackwing has been healed, Belkar has not.

Baphomet
2016-03-07, 02:11 PM
This is the first strip where we've seen Haley and Elan in a while, I wonder what they've been-

Wait, nevermind.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 02:14 PM
The comics lately haven't been so comical, I hope this marks a change.

As in it will get funny again

Porthos
2016-03-07, 02:14 PM
Even though it was in the service of a punchline, I do want to comment on the character growth for Roy here. Even as recently as the pyramid arc, I couldn't see Roy acting the way he does here in regards to Elan. There'd be at least a sarcastic or semi-belittling quip thrown in there. It's been kinda subtle and slow at times, but the way the Elan/Roy dynamic has shifted over tim (with Durkon's death being a main pivot point) has been VERY well done.

We first saw it here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0891.html), but today's strip really solidifies the change in outlook.

Doesn't mean that there won't be anymore sarcastic quips from Roy in regards to Elan (after all, Roy needs to have punchlines on occasion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) :smallwink:), but I do think strips like today's shows just how much the Elan/Roy dynamic has matured.

Willenium
2016-03-07, 02:17 PM
", I file Elan getting upset was doublethink in action. Elan has mastered the two contradictory thoughts in his head that Banjo is alive and a god and the opposite idea that it is just a puppet. He simultaneously thinks that Banjo is a god, yet has the capability to be weirded out by other people taking the idea seriously if the situation warrants it.

Trying to reason it out would be like trying to reason out how Elan knew ahead of time that Nale was still alive, yet acted surprised when he saw him."

I thought ambivalence was the term for having two conflicting emotions simultaneously. At least that's how it works trying to teach emotions to mechaniods if you are the last human.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 02:18 PM
What if Elan becomes the protagonist, or was the protagonist all along. He seems to receive special attention from the Giant. He got 2 subplots, and his Twitter picture is of him.

BannedInSchool
2016-03-07, 02:19 PM
1. Get voting standing
2. Get High Priest
3. ...
4. Profit!

Banjo 2016!

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 02:25 PM

Blackwing probably got healed by the druid girl who's name I'm too lazy to look up the spelling of.

This is the first strip where we've seen Haley and Elan in a while, I wonder what they've been-

Wait, nevermind.

Strip monopoly.

Yendor
2016-03-07, 02:26 PM
There's a chance that the Giant had this strip in mind ever before we heard of the Godsmoot. Or before the question being raised on the forums anyway.

Well, yes, seriously I'm pretty sure Rich knew this question would come up and planned to address it all along.

IDrankWHAT
2016-03-07, 02:29 PM
Not sure if serious suggestion or screwy sarcasm....

Well it IS about Blackwing, so I'm going with the sarcasm.

Keltest
2016-03-07, 02:30 PM

Blackwing has far fewer HP than Belkar. Elan's weaker heal spells are enough to take care of Blackwing, but Belkar could prove more problematic.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-03-07, 02:34 PM
I loved the second half of the comic. It's nice when authors take the time to mock the sillier speculations of their fans.

Hah! Take that, Banjo conspiracies! Also I really missed Belkar.
I agree with half of that. The Giant making fun of all those zealous Banjoists was hilarious.

Thank you. I hope this finally shuts down these Banjo fanatics.
Doubtful. Banjoism isn't a real religion, but you wouldn't know that from how fervently some folks around here follow it.

The Giant has a very hard task. Banjo made a neat little joke at the time. But now every time the gods might come into play the existence of Banjo has to be considered. This means every little joke, that might be a little throw away at time has the possibility to come back and have to be worked around in the future.
When you think about it, Banjo probably isn't the only Om-scale quasideity in the Ootsverse. Anyone cheesed off at the local pantheon can use whatever Craft skill they may have picked up to fashion an idol and convince their friends, family, and fellow downtrodden peasants to start worshiping this new heresy. You don't even need a level of cleric to get some (minor) miracles; just imagine what would happen if the high priest gained some XP!
This is probably why the pantheons have such strict entry requirements.

I've been wondering for a while what the implications of a familiar taking class levels would be...I mean, it's definitely extralegal in the first place, but it's still fun to think. What would a familiar's ECL be? What effects would this have on the caster? Stuff like that.

:smalleek:Nale?:smalleek: Did he pull that switch-out plan again? Wait a minute... Does that mean Tarquin murdered Elan in the desert?:eek:
It's not that hard to pretend to be Elan. Nale would just need a little subtlety and to keep his ego under control.
So he has two major obstacles.

EarwaxRock
2016-03-07, 02:47 PM

This isn't the first time we've seen Elan be simultaneously committed to his ridiculousness, while also being fully aware of how wrong he is. I give you, Exhibit A (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0793.html).

I consider his willingness to break the illusion of ignorance when called for a positive step in his character development. His interactions with Tarquin have made him realize that commitment to some of those ideas can be very dangerous (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0938.html) when taken too far.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-07, 03:02 PM
Could Roy have left at all, with the barrier? I think not! So once again talky-man talks too much; "I couldn't leave the moot once they started voting" would have answered Elan's question.

Also, Roy is perhaps now putting too much faith in Belkar being reformed; I think there is still plenty of untrustworthy jerk left in Belkar. Which is exactly the mistake he made with Durkula; seeing what he wanted to see.

Looks like we don't get to see the Vaarsuvius / Veldrina interaction. We can only assume Little Whiskers was saved. It would be tragic otherwise.

ti'esar
2016-03-07, 03:04 PM
Oh my Thor, the Giant really did bring up the Banjo theories for an after-the-fact punchline. I laughed really, really hard at this one.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-07, 03:16 PM
I tried that once, It didn't work out

You only thought you were arguing with someone who agreed with you; actually, you were arguing with someone who was mocking you with pretended agreement!

Google "zombie lies" sometime. The phrase has been used to describe RW politics, and seems pretty close to what you're describing here.

And a great source of punchlines based upon unrelenting jerkosity.

Wait, nevermind.

Playing Monopoly. Haley was winning.

What if Elan becomes the protagonist, or was the protagonist all along. He seems to receive special attention from the Giant. He got 2 subplots, and his Twitter picture is of him.

Rich Burlew's Twitter icon is Elan - just sayin'.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-07, 03:50 PM
Blackwing probably got healed by the druid girl who'should name
Veldrina. She's played her role, doubt we'll see her until maybe the end of the saga. She's from a different continent.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 03:54 PM
Rich Burlew's Twitter icon is Elan - just sayin'.

This was also said in the quote you quoted... :smallconfused:

Veldrina. She's played her role, doubt we'll see her until maybe the end of the saga. She's from a different continent.

Probably not, which kinda sucks because she was hilarious.

Roland Itiative
2016-03-07, 04:06 PM
So, this strip is foreshadowing the fact that they'll go back in time, insist on having Banjo officially join the Northern Pantheon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html) and then come the long way back to the present, having Elan grinding cleric levels so he can join the Godsmoot as the High Priest of Banjo. Oh, and they'll polymorph Banjo so it's not a puppet anymore. The foreshadowing could have been more subtle, I feel like the next 100 strips are now spoiled for me :smalltongue:

goodpeople25
2016-03-07, 04:08 PM
Honestly some of the gloating about banjo voting being shutdown in comic is pretty hard to watch. Especially since Roy (and i guess by extension the Giant to an extent) actually did take this seriously at first and gave actual reasons for why it wouldn't work. Of course at the end Roy did give his usual (at least i think it's his usual) opinion of banjo just being a puppet but that's just Roy's opinion and he has a different perspective and wasn't really there to witness what makes me believe banjo is an incredibly minor deity.

Now yes banjo showing up to vote would never happen, but to me why it wouldn't happen was due to points 1 and 2 and it being an anti climax. And points 1 and 2 i can see being overlooked easy enough, and story logic can't really shutdown a theroy imo. (Belkar dying for instance I don't really see happening till near the end of the story or near the end of the conflict with "durkon" but that hasn't and to me shouldn't stop the constant speculation that Belkar will die whenever there was any chance of it) So i see why it was an incredibly common speculation and I think it did have a base it just didn't work with points 1 and 2. Seriously it's a meeting of gods, and banjo is a god of sorts thus speculation ensued, perfectly logical.

I just don't get why this theroy got so much backlash, sure it was common but there is alot of common speculation in this forum. (For instance on the first page we have yet another post wondering if Elan raised his Int, and i swear i have seen that come up anytime Elan does something not really dumb, but it is still valid enough thinking and not something to ridicule.) And i also don't get why it seems people have been going so far as to believe point 3. I guess it's possible but honestly i think it's about as likely as Banjo voting and it also seems to contradict stuff in the comic.

hrožila
2016-03-07, 04:18 PM
Honestly some of the gloating about banjo voting being shutdown in comic is pretty hard to watch. Especially since Roy (and i guess by extension the Giant to an extent) actually did take this seriously at first and gave actual reasons for why it wouldn't work. Of course at the end Roy did give his usual (at least i think it's his usual) opinion of banjo just being a puppet but that's just Roy's opinion and he has a different perspective and wasn't really there to witness what makes me believe banjo is an incredibly minor deity. [...]
The anti-Banjoists didn't just say "it's just a puppet", though, we also raised the same points as Roy. Repeatedly. It didn't have a base, because points 1 and 2 were crucial.

Shoelessgdowar
2016-03-07, 04:19 PM

*gurgle* Braaaaains *cough* *cough* *cough* I mean... this just addressed the real reasons Banjo couldn't be involved... status hadn't been made fully official (which was up for debate until this verified Elan hadn't done so in Gnometown) and Elan was too low level a Priest to cast Summon Proxy.

Elan's concerns are that Roy has been swapped for an Evil counterpart... or worse Roy has become so genre savvy that Elan is now just the healer and has to boring and nearly humorless.

goodpeople25
2016-03-07, 04:28 PM
The anti-Banjoists didn't just say "it's just a puppet", though, we also raised the same points as Roy. Repeatedly. It didn't have a base, because points 1 and 2 were crucial.
Well yeah of course it wasn't my intention to say so. But i don't see how that makes it baseless. But i guess that's definition squabbles. (Another common theme)
I guess my point is not everyone remembered or understood points 1 and 2, not everybody is a big forum goer so it being said repeatedly dosen't really matter. Especially since it seemed to me to be mostly newer people.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 04:30 PM
Well yeah of course it wasn't my intention to say so. But i don't see how that makes it baseless. But i guess that's definition squabbles. (Another common theme)
I guess my point is not everyone remembered or understood points 1 and 2, not everybody is a big forum goer so it being said repeatedly dosen't really matter. Especially since it seemed to be to me mostly newer people.

Also I would point out that a fair number of people didn't find any of the three compelling.

Even in the comic the points are framed as Roy's beliefs not immutable fact.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-03-07, 04:33 PM
Well yeah of course it wasn't my intention to say so. But i don't see how that makes it baseless.
You don't see how points disqualifying Banjo from the vote and making it impossible for him to vote even if he was allowed make suggestions that Banjo would (meaningfully) vote baseless?

Also I would point out that a fair number of people didn't find any of the three compelling.
The parallels between Banjo fans and religious zealots grow.

goodpeople25
2016-03-07, 04:40 PM
You don't see how points disqualifying Banjo from the vote and making it impossible for him to vote even if he was allowed make suggestions that Banjo would (meaningfully) vote baseless?

I don't know, i guess what i'm saying is that i understand why people made that theroy, and that they could ealily have overlooked those facts. I never thought banjo voting would happen because of those points. And before it was stated clearly in comic those points had less weight. They had plenty for me though.
I guess i used the wrong definition for baseless I apologize.

Gusion
2016-03-07, 05:09 PM
Honestly some of the gloating about banjo voting being shutdown in comic is pretty hard to watch. Especially since Roy (and i guess by extension the Giant to an extent) actually did take this seriously at first and gave actual reasons for why it wouldn't work. Of course at the end Roy did give his usual (at least i think it's his usual) opinion of banjo just being a puppet but that's just Roy's opinion and he has a different perspective and wasn't really there to witness what makes me believe banjo is an incredibly minor deity.

Sigh.

Did you think, for a second, that the Giant is speaking through Roy here?

Gift Jeraff
2016-03-07, 05:12 PM
So Elan can't end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo, but Belkar can still die and cast a vote as the Sexy Shoeless God of War. Or Roy can just kill the new High Priestess of Hel and end the tiebreaker. Or Belkar can die and cast a vote as the Sexy Shoeless God of War.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-07, 05:34 PM
I liked how the existence of Banjo had a reminder at the start of this book with Dr. Banjo. Because, yknow, the forums have been known to forget about him (so I've been told...)

hrožila
2016-03-07, 05:40 PM
So Elan can't end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo, but Belkar can still die and cast a vote as the Sexy Shoeless God of War. Or Roy can just kill the new High Priestess of Hel and end the tiebreaker. Or Belkar can die and cast a vote as the Sexy Shoeless God of War.
Alternatively, Elan could end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo!

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 05:45 PM
Alternatively, Elan could end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo!

OR they could team up and break the tie by two if by some strange twist of fate one of the Norse gods liked tennis enough to push for a deuce scoring rule.

Ruck
2016-03-07, 06:13 PM
It's funny that Belkar continues to be frustrated by Roy's willingness to admit he was wrong, but it's also a necessary step for Roy, whose biggest flaw as I see it is his intellectual arrogance (which manifests itself in his unwillingness to listen to others).

drazen
2016-03-07, 06:31 PM

Banjo only has one follower, but Giggles has a whole island of orcs, at a minimum. How many followers does a prospective deity need in order to be raised/deified? Because a couple super secret Sendings later and Elan could have Giggles accepted into the Northern Pantheon, and he'd vote No because destroying the world and enslaving it wouldn't be slapstick comedy, it'd just be horrible.

(I don't actually believe this theory but it's a heck of a lot more plausible than Banjo getting a vote.)

Porthos
2016-03-07, 06:31 PM
It's funny that Belkar continues to be frustrated by Roy's willingness to admit he was wrong, but it's also a necessary step for Roy, whose biggest flaw as I see it is his intellectual arrogance (which manifests itself in his unwillingness to listen to others).

Roy is/was much more like his father than he cares to admit (also see how he treats NPCs who he feels are unimportant).

A large part of Roy's character arc, IMO, is about becoming his own person and not just a Fighter Version of Eugene.

(by extension also not becoming a clone of his grandfather, but since there isn't quite as much meat on that bone due to the relative lack of appearances by Horace, it's not as well defined)

blunk
2016-03-07, 06:59 PM
Alternatively, Elan could end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo!Let's once and for all dispel with this notion that Elan couldn't end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo. He could totally end the tiebreaker.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-07, 07:06 PM
No one has yet addressed my objection to Roy sending for Elan: Roy couldn't leave, and had no one to send (except some vampire ushers, who might not have been particularly cooperative).

Setting that minor objection aside, Roy definitively asserts that Banjo has not been accepted into the Northern Pantheon (or any other), and Elan does not dispute that statement. Second, the objection regarding a high level cleric able to cast a high-level clerical spell is definitive. There is no one nearby who worships Banjo who is capable of casting any high level clerical spell. I do not think the assembled mooters would have been amused had Elan tried an Illusion of him speaking for Banjo.

So can we please, please, please stop with the Banjo worship? Are you trying to incarnate him on Earth in 2016?

An Enemy Spy
2016-03-07, 07:17 PM
Did anyone else notice that Haley is wearing her ponytail higher up than she used to? It took me a moment to realize why she seemed different looking.

Ruck
2016-03-07, 07:28 PM
Roy is/was much more like his father than he cares to admit (also see how he treats NPCs who he feels are unimportant).

A large part of Roy's character arc, IMO, is about becoming his own person and not just a Fighter Version of Eugene.

(by extension also not becoming a clone of his grandfather, but since there isn't quite as much meat on that bone due to the relative lack of appearances by Horace, it's not as well defined)

I like your analysis-- insightful and on point. They're both arrogant and stubborn. (I'm remembering that Roy blew off the Deva who tried to tell him about Vaarsuvius' dealings with Fiends three separate times in the same strip.) Roy's resentment toward his father clouds his ability to see their similarities, or else he denies those traits he shares with Eugene because of that resentment.

I wonder now if Roy becoming his own man is going to be a major theme of the ending-- after all, this whole quest started because of an oath his father made.

The NPCs thing reminds me-- I think maybe the funniest joke in the whole strip was Shojo throwing the wizard skeleton at Roy.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 07:30 PM
What qualifies as a priest in this world? Does the deity worshiped have to be widely accepted?

SunnyFox
2016-03-07, 07:33 PM

First: even if Blackwing became a cleric, he wouldn't be able to outrank the current High Priest of any of the voting gods, and he doesn't have a deity of his own to present. And second: he would need to gain enough levels in Cleric to cast Summon Proxy and there simply isn't enough time for that.

Third: he's a bird.
:smalltongue:

Porthos
2016-03-07, 07:35 PM
Let's once and for all dispel with this notion that Elan couldn't end the tiebreaker by casting a vote as the High Priest of Banjo. He could totally end the tiebreaker.

ICWYDT. :smallamused:

JoeyTheNeko
2016-03-07, 07:38 PM
lol, roy had me worried he was going insane until the end there.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 07:53 PM
What level is summon proxy?

whitehelm
2016-03-07, 08:05 PM
Did anyone else notice that Haley is wearing her ponytail higher up than she used to? It took me a moment to realize why she seemed different looking.

That's been the case since #993 (so her hair doesn't pass through her hood).

Porthos
2016-03-07, 08:12 PM
What level is summon proxy?

Whatever Rich says it is. :smallsmile:

====

It's homebrewed - but since "low level" priests of Hel couldn't cast it in the past (which is why they were never at 'moots before), I'd say that it'd be at least a fifth level spell or higher. That's just a pure guess on fairly flimsy evidence, though.

wumpus
2016-03-07, 08:23 PM
Excelent, as always.

Poor Banjo! I really feel sorry for that Little God.

Small god. In Pratchet's discworld, there are plenty (likely infinite) small gods. From the small gods rise the gods on the face of belief, and to the small gods do they return when faith fails*.

* the honor of a paladin in unbreakable, but perhaps not so their faith. Or maybe they no longer count once dead or merged as cosmic batteries for the outer planes.

zimmerwald1915
2016-03-07, 08:26 PM
Whatever Rich says it is. :smallsmile:

====

It's homebrewed - but since "low level" priests of Hel couldn't cast it in the past (which is why they were never at 'moots before), I'd say that it'd be at least a fifth level spell or higher. That's just a pure guess on fairly flimsy evidence, though.
Summoning an Aspect of Bahamut requires a 7th-level spell. Now, an OOTS Proxy is not an Aspect, but the spell to summon one shouldn't be much lower, if at all. I'd call it 6th- or 7th-level (no higher, otherwise Durkon's spell slots wouldn't be sufficient).

goodpeople25
2016-03-07, 08:30 PM
First: even if Blackwing became a cleric, he wouldn't be able to outrank the current High Priest of any of the voting gods, and he doesn't have a deity of his own to present. And second: he would need to gain enough levels in Cleric to cast Summon Proxy and there simply isn't enough time for that.

Third: he's a bird.
:smalltongue:
Fourth: I'm pretty sure the original post wasn't about the Godsmoot at all but rather filling durkon's place in the party. :smalltongue:

Porthos
2016-03-07, 08:41 PM
Summoning an Aspect of Bahamut requires a 7th-level spell. Now, an OOTS Proxy is not an Aspect, but the spell to summon one shouldn't be much lower, if at all. I'd call it 6th- or 7th-level (no higher, otherwise Durkon's spell slots wouldn't be sufficient).

Sixth/seventh sounds about right, flavor wise. I admit I threw out 5th as an extreme lower bound since I cut my teeth on 1e/2e where demigods were restricted in the level of spells they could grant. Not a thing anymore, but it explains a bit why I immediately lept to fifth.

(NOTE: Yes, I know Elan can cast 5th level Bard spells. Noted in advance. But then Bard/Cleric spell list differences yadda yadda yadda)

Khallazar
2016-03-07, 09:24 PM
Character development.

Character development everywhere...

I like that.

Alex Warlorn
2016-03-07, 09:48 PM
For the record, Elan knows having Banjo suddenly act out of character would be bad form, puppet or not, it would violate everything he is as a bard.
Also, we've seen Banjo -WHILE HE IS pathetically weak since he only has two priest and a small tribe of orcs as his worshippers (which he co-ops with his brother)- Banjo WASN'T able to smite Roy, in spite of it being weaker than a static carpet zap.

Bulldog Psion
2016-03-07, 09:51 PM
So can we please, please, please stop with the Banjo worship? Are you trying to incarnate him on Earth in 2016?

They may be succeeding. I've been getting a creepy feeling when in the presence of stringed instruments with circular bodies lately. :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2016-03-07, 10:00 PM
They may be succeeding. I've been getting a creepy feeling when in the presence of stringed instruments with circular bodies lately. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe it's latent kleptomania - you know, you have to resist the urge to lute them.

Orful Biggun
2016-03-07, 10:23 PM
Never again will I wonder if Mr. Berlew reads our forum discussions.

Answer: he reads some of them, at least.

Wonderful stuff, I love it. Per usual, of course, but when we see a new comic we really never know what we'll get: one time it'll be a comic that delivers a critical hit straight to the heart. The next comic will be hilarity unbound. Then we'll get slapped around by irony and story twists and intrigue and interesting plot developments, followed by shout-outs to stuff that happened *years* ago, and then we're all surprised by perfectly executed fourth wall-breaking stuff. And all of it is pulled off with sublime timing, wit, and - dare I say - panache.

Keep 'em coming, Giant, we love your characters, and your work and comic are both like a fine wine, getting better and better with age.

P.S. I'm *really* glad Belkar is back with us. He's one of a kind, no doubt. I'm a sucker for redemption story arcs and am ever hopeful.

Orful Biggun
2016-03-07, 10:24 PM
Maybe it's latent kleptomania - you know, you have to resist the urge to lute them.

Thread over. You win a thousand internets and a bag of groans, sir.

Ruslan
2016-03-07, 10:35 PM
Heh, I like the reference to all the people asking if Banjo could solve the vote.And I, for one, am saddened that half a strip had to be wasted on a virtual 'answer' to those conspiracies.

ti'esar
2016-03-07, 10:36 PM
And I, for one, am saddened that half a strip had to be wasted on a virtual 'answer' to those conspiracies.

It's not wasted if it's funny.

Witty Username
2016-03-07, 10:53 PM

not necessarily, did elan almost think Roy accepted Banjo is in fact a God?
which one would be a greater leap? :smallamused:

Porthos
2016-03-07, 10:54 PM

Indeed. In fact, IMO, it was frickin' hilarious. More than enough reason to include it, again IMO.

zimmerwald1915
2016-03-07, 10:56 PM
Indeed. In fact, IMO, it was frickin' hilarious. More than enough reason to include it, again IMO.
It would, however, have been funnier (or at least less simultaneously sad) if multiple people hadn't been speculating seriously along "Banjo will cast the deciding vote" lines.

GAAD
2016-03-07, 11:07 PM
It would, however, have been funnier (or at least less simultaneously sad) if multiple people hadn't been speculating seriously along "Banjo will cast the deciding vote" lines.

No. No, the fact that it WAS a thing seriously considered (and that in retrospect Roy's answer is kind of obvious (Elan neither knew nor had prepared Summon Proxy)) AMPLIFIES the hilarity.

Reddish Mage
2016-03-07, 11:14 PM

I think that's exactly what makes it so funny . People seriously speculating Banjo cast the deciding vote, people seriously retorting he was never officially accepted into the pantheon or that Elan isn't a high-level divine spellcaster only to have Roy after seriously going through the back-and-forth deciding the reason is...Banjo's a puppet!

The puppet idol minor deity is just there as a gag folks! Commentary perhaps about how ridiculous that canonical DND metaphysics is that belief can literally elevate something to godhood.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-07, 11:19 PM
The puppet idol minor deity is just there as a gag folks! Commentary perhaps about how ridiculous that canonical DND metaphysics is that belief can literally elevate something to godhood.

The end is nigh my brothers and sisters! Denounce this unbeliever! Repent and be accepted into the warm felt embrace of our Lord Banjo the Clown God of Puppets! REPENT!

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 11:59 PM
* the honor of a paladin in unbreakable, but perhaps not so their faith. Or maybe they no longer count once dead or merged as cosmic batteries for the outer planes.
Bah! What do you know of Paladins? A Paladin may lose his honor, however highly he holds it, but his faith is held in the highest priority!

I'm not saying anything to make you mad or to incite argument, I'm just messing around by acting as my Paladin character

Maybe you prefer the ninja?

Shoelessgdowar
2016-03-08, 01:38 AM
Bah! What do you know of Paladins? A Paladin may lose his honor, however highly he holds it, but his faith is held in the highest priority!

I'm not saying anything to make you mad or to incite argument, I'm just messing around by acting as my Paladin character

Forsake these unwise ways, convert your levels to being a Palindrome of Banjo... You will of course have to take a proper new title like Sir Buhfodrol Lord of Hubris, as is appropriate, but under Banjo the world will become a better place.

GAAD
2016-03-08, 01:46 AM
I'm afraid not. Sir Buhfodrol Lord of Hubris was already taken by one of my clients.
Of course, he didn't LISTEN to me and monologued palindromes at the hero for so long that her friends were able to come to her rescue.
Seriously, I'm all for being paid to do nothing, but it really hurts when nobody lets you do your job.

Even though my job is basically memorizing and repeating the Evil Overlord List to incompetent yet self-aware Evil Overlords.

Red XIV
2016-03-08, 01:50 AM
Now the special ability of their transport will show its value, it doesn't matter how long it takes for the dwarves to assemble because our heroes will arrive just in the nick of time no matter what!
Yeah, as annoying as it might be to always cut it close, at least the Mechane will never actually be too late. Of course once they arrive the Order still has to hold up their end and beat the bad guys, but hey. Their win-loss record isn't that bad.

ti'esar
2016-03-08, 04:31 AM
Their win-loss record isn't that bad.

Elan disagrees. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0724.html)

Werbaer
2016-03-08, 05:13 AM
Now, an OOTS Proxy is not an Aspect, but the spell to summon one shouldn't be much lower, if at all. I'd call it 6th- or 7th-level (no higher, otherwise Durkon's spell slots wouldn't be sufficient).
When Durkon was a child, the High Priest of Thor wasn't able to cast regeneration (the High Priest of Odin was the only one able to cast this spell). So level 7 for Summon Proxy is very unlikely. I'd assume level 5; or 6 at most.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-08, 07:11 AM
Thread over. You win a thousand internets and a bag of groans, sir.

Ah, a career as a punster can be lute-rative!

And shows character advancement for Roy at the same time. Demonstrating that the story is better off in Rich's hands than ours.

The end is nigh my brothers and sisters! Denounce this unbeliever! Repent and be accepted into the warm felt embrace of our Lord Banjo the Clown God of Puppets! REPENT!

I must offer my heart-felt demurral, and remain heretical.

I'm afraid not. Sir Buhfodrol Lord of Hubris was already taken by one of my clients.
Of course, he didn't LISTEN to me and monologued palindromes at the hero for so long that her friends were able to come to her rescue.
Seriously, I'm all for being paid to do nothing, but it really hurts when nobody lets you do your job.

Even though my job is basically memorizing and repeating the Evil Overlord List to incompetent yet self-aware Evil Overlords.

I'm pretty sure one of the things on the Evil Overlord list is not paying too much for people to memorize and quote the Evil Overlord list - how's business?

Mad Humanist
2016-03-08, 07:35 AM

It is futile to ask a true-believer to stop believing politely - and to ask impolitely or worse is unthinkable. Just let the Banjo worshippers have their religion in peace.

Gusion
2016-03-08, 08:09 AM
It is futile to ask a true-believer to stop believing politely - and to ask impolitely or worse is unthinkable. Just let the Banjo worshippers have their religion in peace.

I don't care what they believe. I do care they keep trying to "proselytize." And while they may have the right to do so, that invites people to tell them they're wrong. Although at this point I'd say at least half are just trolling.

Mad Humanist
2016-03-08, 08:30 AM
I don't care what they believe. I do care they keep trying to "proselytize." And while they may have the right to do so, that invites people to tell them they're wrong. Although at this point I'd say at least half are just trolling.

It's all fine as long as the conversation is polite. However at some point Banjoism (http://force-of-lightning.the-comic.org/banjoism) may become a real-world religion at which point discussing it will become much more problematic.

Edhelras
2016-03-08, 08:56 AM
Fourth: I'm pretty sure the original post wasn't about the Godsmoot at all but rather filling durkon's place in the party. :smalltongue:

Fifth: Aye, I was just kiddin', it was sarcastic after all...

But at the bottom of this lies a truism of DnD: Every party needs a healer. So who is gonna heal them now? Elan? Or will Roy finally follow-up on that celestial advice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) and multi-class as a cleric?
It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Seriously: I think that after Durkola finally split from the OOTS, and Veldrina appears to have been left behind at the Godsmoot (which she is bound to, I guess, being a divine representative? Or is that binding only for the High Priests of the Northern gods?) - I think there must now be a rather short time limit on Durkola's future as a vamp. The party can go on for only so long without a professional healer.

Well, as long as they stay aboard the Mechane, they can make do with Julio's stock of potions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0937.html). But they may need other kinds of healing and restoration too.
So - my prediction is that by departing from the OOTS, no longer being of use to them - and not ensuring to have someone to fill his slot - Durkola/HPoH actually condemned himself to destruction and to Durkon's ultimate restoration.

It would be only appropriate if oddly slightly more intelligent Elan was allowed to point this out to him.

And please pretty please - could Banjo be allowed to drive that stake in? :smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2016-03-08, 09:02 AM
Fifth: Aye, I was just kiddin', it was sarcastic after all...

But at the bottom of this lies a truism of DnD: Every party needs a healer. So who is gonna heal them now? Elan? Or will Roy finally follow-up on that celestial advice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) and multi-class as a cleric?

Seriously: I think that after Durkola finally split from the OOTS, and Veldrina appears to have been left behind at the Godsmoot (which she is bound to, I guess, being a divine representative? Or is that binding only for the High Priests of the Northern gods?) - I think there must now be a rather short time limit on Durkola's future as a vamp. The party can go on for only so long without a professional healer.

Well, as long as they stay aboard the Mechane, they can make do with Julio's stock of potions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0937.html). But they may need other kinds of healing and restoration too.
So - my prediction is that by departing from the OOTS, no longer being of use to them - and not ensuring to have someone to fill his slot - Durkola/HPoH actually condemned himself to destruction and to Durkon's ultimate restoration.

It would be only appropriate if oddly slightly more intelligent Elan was allowed to point this out to him.

And please pretty please - could Banjo be allowed to drive that stake in? :smallbiggrin:

Given that Roy was pretty explicit about his intention to resurrect Durkon this entire time, im rather curious as to why you ever thought the Vampire's lifespan would not be sharply limited.

AstralFire
2016-03-08, 09:05 AM
Guess Elan got promoted from back-up healer to straight up healer for the rest of this storyline...
Oh, and the Mechane does have a cleric on board I Believe.

Been calling that since the "Neutralize Poison" development, and no one believed me.

Quild
2016-03-08, 09:37 AM
Given that Roy was pretty explicit about his intention to resurrect Durkon this entire time, im rather curious as to why you ever thought the Vampire's lifespan would not be sharply limited.

I'm certain that the vampire has not a lot of days to unlive. But the real matter here is that the Order will have some fights to handle between then. The lack of a real healer might be a problem to reach their goal of recovering their healer.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-08, 09:40 AM
It's all fine as long as the conversation is polite. However at some point Banjoism (http://force-of-lightning.the-comic.org/banjoism) may become a real-world religion at which point discussing it will become much more problematic.

So... If we establish a real world Banjo cult, all mention of Banjo on the forums is scrubbed? This dire possibility will become known as 'the Decimation of the Archive' or 'Ten Thousand Wrongs to make One Right'.

Been calling that since the "Neutralize Poison" development, and no one believed me.

Restoration isn't a Bard spell. I still don't believe you :p

8BitNinja
2016-03-08, 10:05 AM
Seriously guys, if you actually worship Banjo, then it's real world religion, if you don't, it annoying

either way, stop it

Shining Wrath
2016-03-08, 10:17 AM
I guess I have to state what I thought was obvious: no one on this board, so far as I can tell, actually worships Banjo, nor are they trying to get anyone else to actually worship a puppet. It's simply the Internet, and people carrying on an argument ad nauseum (which, since I'm clarifying things, doesn't mean I'm actually nauseated).

I believe we have the nearest thing we're likely to get to Word of Giant on Banjo as a possible voter. Others have the right to disagree with me without my getting mad about it.

Plus, he's a puppet. If Banjo is divine, what then of the hand within the God? Manibus ex Deus! Clearly if Banjo deserves worship, Elan deserves far more.

And Rich Burlew, as discussed, uses Elan as his Twitter icon. Therefore ...

ZOUNDS ...

Rich Burlew is trying to get all of us to worship HIM, and all discussion on these boards of OotS or the Giant in any way is actually a discussion of RW religion, and therefore we all must be banned! Including the moderators! Even including Rich himself!

IT'S THE END OF DR. STRANGELOVE!

BannedInSchool
2016-03-08, 10:36 AM
Seriously guys, if you actually worship Banjo, then it's real world religion, if you don't, it annoying

either way, stop it

Your hate only makes us stronger, but Banjo still loves you. :smallbiggrin:

JohanOfKitten
2016-03-08, 10:42 AM

It's sure that Roy will multiclass and become priest. After all he's been through and all he's seen in this Godsmoot, I'm pretty sure that he's fond of gods and believe that relying on them is the best thing for him and his buddies... Oh wait (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1023.html) (seventh panel) :smallamused:

Ave
2016-03-08, 10:57 AM

They should probably go adventuring, solving side quests and gain some levels...

bookguy
2016-03-08, 11:14 AM
Normally I don't think they can.....but followers are able. But since we've seen him use "evasion". I don't think Blackwing can qualify as a follower and familiar. Unless his penchant for stealing baubles has unknowingly given him a couple levels of rogue

Just a thought.

Familiars (such as Blackwing) automatically get Evasion and Improved Evasion.

Quibblicious
2016-03-08, 11:24 AM
I liked how the existence of Banjo had a reminder at the start of this book with Dr. Banjo. Because, yknow, the forums have been known to forget about him (so I've been told...)

Who is this "Banjo" of whom you speak?

:smallcool:

Quibblicious
2016-03-08, 11:27 AM
What qualifies as a priest in this world? Does the deity worshiped have to be widely accepted?

Apparently not, since Hel doesn't have a lot to work with.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 11:46 AM
Apparently not, since Hel doesn't have a lot to work with.

Except all the intelligent northern undead? And apparently enough low level clerics to stock an endless number of dungeons for adventurers to clear out.

Besides she is accepted. She's just not widely venerated.

littlebum2002
2016-03-08, 12:14 PM

This is brilliant. If I make a real-world version of Banjoism then by the forum's own rules people would no longer be allowed to discuss it.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 12:16 PM
This is brilliant. If I make a real-world version of Banjoism then by the forum's own rules people would no longer be allowed to discuss it.

And you could apply for religious based tax exemptions!

Ruck
2016-03-08, 12:22 PM

either way, stop it

I guess I have to state what I thought was obvious: no one on this board, so far as I can tell, actually worships Banjo, nor are they trying to get anyone else to actually worship a puppet. It's simply the Internet, and people carrying on an argument ad nauseum (which, since I'm clarifying things, doesn't mean I'm actually nauseated).

Seriously, what's going on here? And why does it bother some of you so much?

Quibblicious
2016-03-08, 12:31 PM

Hopefully he won't resort to violins.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-08, 12:36 PM

String em all up I say!
I came for the discussion, but I stay for the puns :)

Shining Wrath
2016-03-08, 12:40 PM

That would be a symphony of a deeper, more serious problem.

String em all up I say!

Things do tend to wind up that way.

Hamste
2016-03-08, 12:54 PM
Seriously, what's going on here? And why does it bother some of you so much?

Some religions and people are extremely against idols like Banjo. I can't really go any further than that in explanation.

Bulldog Psion
2016-03-08, 12:56 PM
I don't mean to trumpet my achievements, but on that note, I have to leave for the moment. I need to go drum up some business. :smallcool:

Keltest
2016-03-08, 12:56 PM
Some religions and people are extremely against idols like Banjo. I can't really go any further than that in explanation.

Also, the joke has worn extremely thin to many of us.

Hamste
2016-03-08, 01:01 PM
Also, the joke has worn extremely thin to many of us.

That as well could also be a reason for that exchange.

GAAD
2016-03-08, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the things on the Evil Overlord list is not paying too much for people to memorize and quote the Evil Overlord list - how's business?

Eh, can't complain. I've got a nice comfy long-term commission with SCAR and a few minor contracts with STUPID. A lot of my clients actually know what they're doing, and just need a couple pointers. Also, they usually need heroes killed. I have an 84% success rate in assassinating child and adolescent Chosen Ones. The other 16% didn't PAY for that particular service. :smallamused:

8BitNinja
2016-03-08, 02:16 PM

I never let kids go to the symphony, there's not just violins, there's sax too

Jasdoif
2016-03-08, 03:18 PM
Plus, he's a puppet. If Banjo is divine, what then of the hand within the God? Manibus ex Deus! Clearly if Banjo deserves worship, Elan deserves far more....No, it'd be more of a Human Ton and Handy scenario.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 03:19 PM
Excuse me, if I could horn in on these puns, I just wanted to say cello

Quibblicious
2016-03-08, 03:31 PM

I know that Paladins are limited to playing bass, or possibly tambourine.

A rare few can play rhythm guitar.

:smallbiggrin:

Q

Quibblicious
2016-03-08, 03:44 PM
String em all up I say!

That would be a bass response.

Ridin'TheCrash
2016-03-08, 07:25 PM
I just want to say thank you for addressing that. I know it was a REALLY popular option in the comics. I was kinda rooting for it myself

8BitNinja
2016-03-08, 07:29 PM
But in actuality, I would love to see future comics denounce Banjo

IamWeasel
2016-03-08, 08:51 PM

He can't rally bash on an Evil Overlord's pay scale, knowing what happens when you bash the Yelp pay scale.

8BitNinja
2016-03-08, 10:46 PM
He can't rally bash on an Evil Overlord's pay scale, knowing what happens when you bash the Yelp pay scale.

Ever seen how much dragon slaying pays? Maybe the Evil Overlord wasn't the way to go

littlebum2002
2016-03-08, 11:14 PM
I know that Paladins are limited to playing bass, or possibly tambourine.

A rare few can play rhythm guitar.

:smallbiggrin:

Q

Yeah, I think on the whole, being a musician involves engaging in many unPaladin-like activities

Ornithologist
2016-03-08, 11:15 PM
Not to Gong up on all the punners, but we are trying to have a serious discussion here. There is so much cymbalism and tone that we need to still discuss. lets just agree that all of these puns have fallen flat, I hope that no one picolos any more puns to add.

Sorry, I quit, I promise. Put down the sharps... I'll just leave now.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 11:39 PM
I'm not getting that last one :smallconfused:

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 01:15 AM
You guys can stop being so brass about these music puns. But keep going for all I clarinet

Yendor
2016-03-09, 01:36 AM
You lot do like to harp on, don't you?

GAAD
2016-03-09, 02:05 AM
Ever seen how much dragon slaying pays? Maybe the Evil Overlord wasn't the way to go

All right, fine. Let's say I kill a dragon.
A) I now have a dead dragon.
B) I now have a huge pile of goldPOISON.
C) The dragon is no longer terrorizing the populace.
D) Due to the deflux of terror, I starve.

Plus there's the fact that we're assuming the dragon isn't under the Summer Court's jurisdiction, and therefore legal for me to interfere with in the first place.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-09, 07:14 AM
Who is this "Banjo" of whom you speak?
:mitd: He's the puppet right next to that gate.

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 09:39 AM
All right, fine. Let's say I kill a dragon.
A) I now have a dead dragon.
B) I now have a huge pile of goldPOISON.
C) The dragon is no longer terrorizing the populace.
D) Due to the deflux of terror, I starve.

Plus there's the fact that we're assuming the dragon isn't under the Summer Court's jurisdiction, and therefore legal for me to interfere with in the first place.

Are you LN or LE? Is the LN actually LN(E)? Does everyone use abbreviations for alignments?

dancrilis
2016-03-09, 09:39 AM
Ever seen how much dragon slaying pays?

Not a lot after paying your dragon slaying tax.

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 09:45 AM
Not a lot after paying your dragon slaying tax.

You're right, plus you can't carry out the entire hoard unless you have at least 2 wagons

and I'm no pioneer, I decided to not go on the Oregon Trail, I like to keep myself Dysentery free

Jasdoif
2016-03-09, 12:18 PM
Not a lot after paying your dragon slaying tax.The tax collectors have to be able to put a lien on the dragon slayers' income first (Finding enforcers willing to capture someone who's slain a dragon tends to be difficult, and the dragons' attempts to form a business model from it haven't panned out yet).

That's why dragon slaying adventurers tend to move around a lot, and why armies that can't move around a lot don't slay dragons.

Quibblicious
2016-03-09, 12:23 PM
Dysentery free

Dysentery is always free. No one ever charges for it.

GAAD
2016-03-09, 12:32 PM
Are you LN or LE? Is the LN actually LN(E)? Does everyone use abbreviations for alignments?

Well, my forte and reputation is assisting villains, but so long as there's conflict and fresh human emotions I'm game. I've travelled and served with quite a few paladins in my time. I guess I'm LN, then. The main thing is I can't really afford to be picky with jobs in between large commissions. Heck, I remember once this up and coming World Emperor requisitioned my services - and then asked me to orchestrate what he viewed as his inevitable downfall in such a way as he would survive, so I went and helped the hero take him down.
Is there an already established threat you'd like to take down? I'd be perfectly happy to narrate your adventures. :smallsmile:

jere7my
2016-03-09, 12:35 PM
Well, my forte and reputation is assisting villains, but so long as there's conflict and fresh human emotions I'm game. I've travelled and served with quite a few paladins in my time. I guess I'm LN, then. The main thing is I can't really afford to be picky with jobs in between large commissions. Heck, I remember once this up and coming World Emperor requisitioned my services - and then asked me to orchestrate what he viewed as his inevitable downfall in such a way as he would survive, so I went and helped the hero take him down.
Is there an already established threat you'd like to take down? I'd be perfectly happy to narrate your adventures. :smallsmile:

When did we start turning the main strip threads into a play-by-post RPG? And when can we stop?

DaggerPen
2016-03-09, 12:35 PM
It's sure that Roy will multiclass and become priest. After all he's been through and all he's seen in this Godsmoot, I'm pretty sure that he's fond of gods and believe that relying on them is the best thing for him and his buddies... Oh wait (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1023.html) (seventh panel) :smallamused:

Well he could always become a nontheistic cleric - ohhhh, right. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0995.html)

Is it too late for Haley just to cut out the middleman and start praying to Roy directly? That totally lets Roy vote in the Godsmoot through her, right? :p (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html)

Re: the Banjo thing: I personally find it really annoying, tbh. There's a point at which the volume of space that the posts take outweigh any entertainment value it may have had. I chuckled at the Banjo jokes the first time, but at this point I don't care if it's speculation that he'll vote in the Godsmoot or its people jokingly worshipping him; my thumb is getting tired just scrolling past it all on mobile.

The best running gags get a good rest between appearances to let the humor value build back up. It's time to give Banjo a rest.

Hey look, I did get a music pun in after all!

littlebum2002
2016-03-09, 12:45 PM
When did we start turning the main strip threads into a play-by-post RPG? And when can we stop?

And when did non-moderators start using red in their posts?

Re: the Banjo thing: I personally find it really annoying, tbh. There's a point at which the volume of space that the posts take outweigh any entertainment value it may have had. I chuckled at the Banjo jokes the first time, but at this point I don't care if it's speculation that he'll vote in the Godsmoot or its people jokingly worshipping him; my thumb is getting tired just scrolling past it all on mobile.

It is pretty annoying. We have a ban on real-world religion in the forum to keep people from arguing and proselytizing, but then when Banjo comes around people start arguing and proselytizing. There's a thin line between satire and reality, and when you are satirizing "people being annoying", you're just being annoying yourself.

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-09, 12:53 PM

Not to mention Roy would have to turn pious. :P (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html)

Nah, what we REALLY need is for Belkar to take a level in Druid. Lesser Vigor, the ability to charm animals his Ranger abilities fail to turn... not to mention once this is all said and done he can scare the crap out of Durkon by bringing, I don't know, a Bonsai with them. :P

Hamste
2016-03-09, 01:18 PM
Not to mention Roy would have to turn pious. :P (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html)

Nah, what we REALLY need is for Belkar to take a level in Druid. Lesser Vigor, the ability to charm animals his Ranger abilities fail to turn... not to mention once this is all said and done he can scare the crap out of Durkon by bringing, I don't know, a Bonsai with them. :P

If only he didn't have a wisdom score usually reserved for lemmings and because of a one off joke it is unlikely he ever gets an item to boost it.

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 01:21 PM

I've been investigating a supposed cult of Hextor, but it's all speculation and the word of an old man. But the old man was a priest of Heironeous. Right now, I'm actually looking for an adventure to go on.

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-09, 01:22 PM
If only he didn't have a wisdom score usually reserved for lemmings and because of a one off joke it is unlikely he ever gets an item to boost it.

I suppose, until Durkon is recovered, V could expend his entire 2nd level spell roster with Owl's Wisdom, just in case? :P

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 01:24 PM

Like the gentleman above said, Owl's wisdom

Also, I'm pretty sure there is no cleric of spiritualbutnotreligiousism

I could be wrong, but I have never met a lukewarm holy man

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-09, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, it just occurred to me that Belkar wouldn't be capable of taking a level in Druid anyway, thanks to his alignment. Would have to make a jump to either Chaotic Neutral or Neutral Evil. So, that's unfortunate.

Actually, that means the only one of the Order who would be eligible is V, being True Neutral (and it still works if his alignment was affected by the Familicide incident, since he'd probably be Neutral Evil and not Chaotic Evil). Need to have at least one axis in Neutral, and with the Lawful Good Roy and Chaotic Good Elan and Haley V's the only one who wouldn't be disqualified out of the gate, even if Durkon was still around.

Then again, maybe after the whole "magic alone isn't enough against a magical opponent who can also crush you physically" incidents with the ABD and Xykon V'd be willing to take a hit to raw arcane power if it meant bulking up as a bear or something.

...Right?

Hamste
2016-03-09, 01:56 PM
The whole reason Belkar will never get a wisdom boosting item is similar to why owl's wisdom isn't an option. An increase of wisdom changes Belkar completely and whether that change is permanent or temporary it completely changes the character with out any real character growth. From a purely mechanical stand point it makes sense but it would essentially add another boring character that can't really grow or add anything to the story as it will only last as long as the spell does. Besides even to prepare his spells he would need to have a high enough wisdom and it takes an hour to prepare spells. That would mean 4 owl's wisdoms and V's time just to get Belkar ready to cast spells

zimmerwald1915
2016-03-09, 02:03 PM
Then again, maybe after the whole "magic alone isn't enough against a magical opponent who can also crush you physically" incidents with the ABD and Xykon V'd be willing to take a hit to raw arcane power if it meant bulking up as a bear or something.
V can become a bear (or turn Blackwing into one) without multiclassing Druid; she knows polymorph.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-09, 02:05 PM
...Right?

Nope. Multiclassing isn't what this comics does anymore. We're into multiplotting at this stage.
If they wanted a Druid, they should've picked up SPG back on the western continent.

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-09, 02:09 PM
Nope. Multiclassing isn't what this comics does anymore. We're into multiplotting at this stage.
If they wanted a Druid, they should've picked up SPG back on the western continent.

I know, I was largely being facetious. Though, strictly speaking, it'd be possible. Doesn't mean it'll happen, in fact I highly doubt it will, but in a hypothetical scenario...

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 02:15 PM
Opposing ends are extreme, things such as good and evil are extreme (NOTE: Extreme does not equal bad)

All of the order but V are extremists

aurilee
2016-03-09, 02:55 PM
The whole reason Belkar will never get a wisdom boosting item is similar to why owl's wisdom isn't an option. An increase of wisdom changes Belkar completely and whether that change is permanent or temporary it completely changes the character with out any real character growth. From a purely mechanical stand point it makes sense but it would essentially add another boring character that can't really grow or add anything to the story as it will only last as long as the spell does. Besides even to prepare his spells he would need to have a high enough wisdom and it takes an hour to prepare spells. That would mean 4 owl's wisdoms and V's time just to get Belkar ready to cast spells

On the other hand, V casting Owl's Wisdom on Belkar just once would be kind of funny (as opposed to a prolonged state). The transition between wise-Belkar and regular Belkar has gag written all over it.

Probably won't happen though, as I can't think of any reason V would do that.

Ruck
2016-03-09, 03:43 PM
On the other hand, V casting Owl's Wisdom on Belkar just once would be kind of funny (as opposed to a prolonged state). The transition between wise-Belkar and regular Belkar has gag written all over it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html

littlebum2002
2016-03-09, 04:12 PM

Know what else would be cool? Seeing Roy die and come back to life.

Or if a massive army of goblins attacked Azure City

Or if Elan could ever meet his father.

Quibblicious
2016-03-09, 04:20 PM
I could be wrong, but I have never met a lukewarm holy man

St. Luke would disagree. He's always Luke warm.

rman
2016-03-09, 05:37 PM
V can become a bear (or turn Blackwing into one) without multiclassing Druid; she knows polymorph.

I propose that the gender neutral pronoun to be used when referencing Vaarsuvius shall be ve.

So that sentence should be

V can become a bear (or turn Blackwing into one) without multiclassing Druid; ve knows polymorph.

8BitNinja
2016-03-09, 05:38 PM
St. Luke would disagree. He's always Luke warm.

his name was Luke, but wasn't always warm

Winter in the area of Paul and Luke's travels were cold in the winters, and rainy