PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character concept help

Sir cryosin
2016-03-07, 10:06 AM
A fast, strong greatsword swing monk. How do u go about building this I want to be very evasive while swinging a greatsword.

Spectre9000
2016-03-07, 10:11 AM
A fast, strong greatsword swing monk. How do u go about building this I want to be very evasive while swinging a greatsword.

You just asked for help in building a character with THF (Two-Handed Fighting) as a class that specializes in specifically not using THF (Martial Arts/Flurry of Blows/Unarmored Defense/Monk Weapons). Perhaps you could tell us why you want to use Monk and also why you want to use THF?

Douche
2016-03-07, 10:12 AM
Greatswords are wack, yo. Get a halberd. Then take 2 levels of rogue so you can use cunning action and pretend like you're playing Dark Souls when you attack and then roll around like a crazy guy for backstab crits. Dont forget to take out your buckler to parry and stun people. Then you can switch to your greatsword for the finishing blow while they are stunned.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-07, 11:02 AM
So your saying I can play a fast dodgy greatsword fighter.

Lalliman
2016-03-07, 11:03 AM
If you look at the phrasing, the monk's class features aren't the biggest problem. You can't benefit from Martial Arts without a monk weapon, but most other features still work. Flurry of Blows can be used alongside any kind of attack. Stunning Strike and Quivering Palm require unarmed strikes, but you'll be making those anyways with Flurry of Blows, just less frequently. And while you won't be able to throw stuff back with Deflect Missiles, the deflecting part still works even when your hands are occupied.

The real problem here is that a greatsword is a strength weapon. You know what happens when you make a strength-based monk? AC 13, that's what happens.

You're probably better off going barbarian for the Unarmored Defence and refluffing the Rage into a battle trance. Go Eagle Totem and you'll be pretty close to a monk.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-07, 11:12 AM
The Barbarian still has the same problem I don't want armor. Or is that asking to much.

Spacehamster
2016-03-07, 11:13 AM
Honestly I think easiest way to do this is just to homebrew a STR based monk subclass who's monastic traditions revolves around rigorous training with heavy oversized weapons, dunno what abilities I would give such a sub tho

Sir cryosin
2016-03-07, 11:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing got any suggestions on abilitys

Lalliman
2016-03-07, 11:35 AM
An unarmoured barbarian is very passable at early level, and only gets better as you further raise your Con. At 20 Con, you've got the equivalent of half plate, the best medium armour. You'll likely still be behind on a monk in AC because str has priority over dex, but you have way more health, and physical damage resistance while raging.

If you must play a monk though, I seem to recall a thread where they decided that replacing wis with str for monks (as in, everything that normally scales with wis now scales with str) was a simple and acceptable way of homebrewing a str-based monk. I doubt I can find it back and quote it though.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-07, 11:38 AM
It's something I'll talk to my Dm about

ravenkith
2016-03-07, 12:21 PM

What you are looking for is the barbarian class.

As a barbarian, you can use the unarmored defense class feature (have a decent AC without armor, 1st level).

You also get danger sense, allowing you to have advantage on dex saves. (2nd level)

You can also use the fast movement class feature (get a bonus 10ft to movement 5th level).

Furthermore, if you really want to take it to extremes, you can go eagle totem at level three instead of bear (you shouldn't, but it's your character). Eagle totem at third will give you the ability to use the dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and makes it so that anyone who gets an AOO on you will make it with disadvantage.

The character then would be fast, evasive, and able to swing a greatsword without gimping half his class features.

IN ADDITION: were you to include 1-3 levels of Light Cleric in whatever build you end up making with barbarian, you can also use the Warding Flare class feature to give anyone attacking you in melee disadvantage on their attack up to your Wisdom modifier times/day. You could then ROLEPLAY the character as a variant kind of sun-worshipping monk from a barren, desert wasteland that is granted power (limited though it is) from his bond to the fiery orb.

BOOM. Greatsword swinging monk.

Soular
2016-03-07, 08:56 PM
You're probably better off going barbarian for the Unarmored Defence and refluffing the Rage into a battle trance. Go Eagle Totem and you'll be pretty close to a monk.

I am gonna jump on the Barbarian train as well. This is the easiest way to get what you want with no home-brewing. Also, you still get to use all of your class features.

There are no rules for what you have to look like, and you have lots of leeway in picking your background. IMO, this is the best option.

Besides, what would a Chinese barbarian look like? Probably just like a monk.

Biggstick
2016-03-09, 05:14 PM
IN ADDITION: were you to include 1-3 levels of Light Cleric in whatever build you end up making with barbarian, you can also use the Warding Flare class feature to give anyone attacking you in melee disadvantage on their attack up to your Wisdom modifier times/day. You could then ROLEPLAY the character as a variant kind of sun-worshipping monk from a barren, desert wasteland that is granted power (limited though it is) from his bond to the fiery orb.

I mean, this would require him as a Barbarian to become even more MAD, wanting to have a high Strength and Constitution with respectable numbers in Dexterity and Wisdom. He'd also be drastically slowing down his Barbarian progression as well for something that he's using AT MOST twice a day (Warding Flare).

It'd just be easier if he did as you suggested with taking the Eagle Totem and then going with the Acolyte background, or something along those lines rather then picking up a Multiclass level.