PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Modifying the Arcana Domain Spell List - Advice Needed!

INDYSTAR188
2016-03-07, 10:56 AM
Greetings Playground,

I am in the process of modifying the Arcana Domain Spell list for my player. The reason is because he wanted to play a Wizard but decided to be a team player and fill the support role. I would like to make the spell list a bit more iconic and useful to give him the feel of playing a Wizard while also filling the Cleric role. We're playing Out of the Abyss and they are in the Silken Path currently, a day or so away from Sloobludop.

For reference the party consists of (level 3, going to level 4 next game):

- VHuman Rogue 1/Four Elements Monk (using the excellent redux version (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view?usp=sharing))
- VHuman Blood Hunter 3 (going to multiclass to Deep Stalker Ranger at level 7)
- Half-Orc Bear-totem Barbarian (going to multiclass to Champion Fighter at level 6)
- Drow Rogue 2/Fiend Pact Bladelock 1
- Wood Elf Arcana Cleric 3

So the current Domain Spell list is:

Cleric Level
Spells

1st
detect magic, magic missile

3rd
magic weapon, Nystul's magic aura

5th
dispel magic, magic circle

7th
arcane eye, Leomund's secret chest

9th
planar binding, teleportation circle

These are fine spells really and seemingly very appropriate. They're also things the Cleric wouldn't normally be able to do. My player is a new to TRPGs though and I thought some more 'iconic' and regularly useful spells would be more appropriate. My proposed Domain Spell list is:

Cleric Level
Spells

1st
detect magic, magic missile

3rd
misty step, Nystul's magic aura

5th
haste, slow

7th
Otiliuke's Resilient Sphere, Phantasmal Killer

9th
teleportation circle, wall of force

What do you think? Was the original list just fine and I'm being heavyhanded? Does it make sense to modify the list for this player? Would you use different spells?