PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Monk/Fighter Optimization

Lucan Aligheri
2016-03-07, 12:44 PM
I want to create a character (For 5e) who has the same mentality as a monk (Self-perfection, martial discipline, etc) and has the mechanics to back it up, mechanics that allow my character to focus on being an excellent martial artist, without having to work with the ki powers of playing the monk class.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-09, 05:02 PM
You might have more luck in the 5e forum.

Now, when you say "martial artist," are you thinking specifically capable unarmed combatant, or are you thinking of focused on martial training in general?

Having a focused, dedicated practitioner is very much a roleplay thing, but you are want mechanics as well. Is it the pseudomystical aspects of the ki-fueled monk powers you aren't happy with, or is it power resource management in general?

When I am looking to build a master warrior, my go-to is the Fighter Battle Master archetype. Fancy maneuvers (with extra damage), sizing up your opponents, calligraphy (or whatever artisan tool you prefer - Making your own weapons certainly has the right appeal). If you need the exceptional unarmed combat, you need a level of monk (and don't plan on using armor, or combine punching with your best weapon options), or Tavern Brawler, which locks you in to Strength (and requires another feat for a bonus action "kick"). Combine with Acolyte or Hermit Background for the full flavor.

If you want most of the "mundane" monk tricks without being a monk, Barbarian is pretty good. No armor, move fast, exceptional grappler/shover. If you treat rage as "battle focus," you have the discipline. Totem barbarian can get you several monk-like abilities. Again, you need a way to get decent punching damage if you want actual dice for your unarmed damage.