PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform Sleeping Dogs - Definite Edition

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-07, 02:32 PM
I bought this on sale a long time ago, and started it up yesterday.

Two observations: It's the first game I feel I really should have a controller for and it is the first game that my (new-ish) gaming laptop can't handle on the highest "Extreme" graphics settings. Which is remarkable since the game came out in 2012!

I am serious about the controller though. Finding a decent control setup for mouse and keyboard is REALLY difficult. I am still on the first (tutorial) miniboss fight; tried it for over and hour yesterday and still haven't cracked it. I think moving "Block" to "Mouse Right" will help a lot, though.

In case anyone wonders, I am using my hiatus from Fallout 4 to go through my list of Steam games and see what ones I should play through.
As you have noticed those include Vampire TM Blood Lines and Pillars Of Eternity. Other games are Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Saints Row 3 and 4 (Saints Row 3 on "Hardcore" is actually a bit challenging now at the beginning, btw)

factotum
2016-03-07, 03:58 PM
Two observations: It's the first game I feel I really should have a controller for and it is the first game that my (new-ish) gaming laptop can't handle on the highest "Extreme" graphics settings. Which is remarkable since the game came out in 2012!

I will entirely agree Sleeping Dogs works far better with a controller, so why not get one? I've had a 360 controller for my PC for years now. As for the other thing, I was able to run the game on the PC I had at the time no problem (Athlon X3 triple-core CPU @ 3.2GHz, Radeon 5770 graphics card with 1Gb RAM, 6Gb system RAM) and don't recall having any issues with it, so it's a bit surprising your laptop won't run it--sure it must be higher spec than that old thing!

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-07, 05:03 PM
I will entirely agree Sleeping Dogs works far better with a controller, so why not get one? I've had a 360 controller for my PC for years now. As for the other thing, I was able to run the game on the PC I had at the time no problem (Athlon X3 triple-core CPU @ 3.2GHz, Radeon 5770 graphics card with 1Gb RAM, 6Gb system RAM) and don't recall having any issues with it, so it's a bit surprising your laptop won't run it--sure it must be higher spec than that old thing!

Can't see me getting one for just one game.

Regarding the graphics: the game runs smooth on "High" settings. on "Extreme" it's feels like fighting in chest deep water.

factotum
2016-03-08, 03:09 AM
I probably wasn't running at Extreme--I'd rather have 1080p at a reasonable frame rate than all the bells and whistles turned on. As for the controller, are you saying you have literally no other games you could use one for? You never play any other game with car driving sections?

Brother Oni
2016-03-08, 03:21 AM
Given that the game was initially designed for consoles, it's no real surprise that it plays better with a controller. You may come across the same problem with the Saints Row games as well.

Murmaider
2016-03-08, 10:47 AM
I remember having some trouble with the controls in the beginning, but don't recall what the problem was specifically. I powered through though and after switching some controls to the mouse buttons It felt good enough. I'm glad I didn't switch to a controller though, because what's even worse than playing a third person action game with mouse and keyboard is trying to aim a ranged weapon with a controller.

factotum
2016-03-08, 11:13 AM
I'm glad I didn't switch to a controller though, because what's even worse than playing a third person action game with mouse and keyboard is trying to aim a ranged weapon with a controller.

You so rarely get to use guns in Sleeping Dogs that this is a non-issue, IMHO. Admittedly, I also use a controller for games like GTA, because, even though the shooty stuff gets a bit harder*, it makes the driving--which is about two-thirds of the game for GTA and its ilk--much, much better.

* Unless you just turn auto-aim on, in which case, controller is easier still--you just won't get those skilled headshots on enemies. :smallsmile:

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-08, 02:02 PM
I probably wasn't running at Extreme--I'd rather have 1080p at a reasonable frame rate than all the bells and whistles turned on. As for the controller, are you saying you have literally no other games you could use one for? You never play any other game with car driving sections?

I have played a lot of driving games. Works with arrow keys. Speaking of which, I recall Origin giving away a free car game a few months back... I should check it out.

As for say the Saints Row games... They, just like Fallout or Skyrim or Mass Effect works great without a controller.

Cespenar
2016-03-10, 10:18 AM
I remember playing it with m&k and having no problems with it, but to each their own.

Avilan the Grey
2016-03-10, 04:49 PM
I remember playing it with m&k and having no problems with it, but to each their own.

I am very left-handed, which complicates things. But I think I have a decent setup now.