PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph on Unconscious Ally?

RulesJD
2016-03-07, 05:03 PM
"The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies."

"The target assumes the hit points of its new form. When it reverts to its normal form, the creature returns to the number of hit points it had before it transformed. If it reverts as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce the creature's normal form to 0 hit points, it isn't knocked unconscious."

DISCLAIM:

This is munchkinism. I get it. Also, stealing this idea from another thread, sorry I can't seem to find which one.

BUT, it also seems to work RAW. The wording "drops" implies that it happens after the action of the spell, as in a future occurance of dropping to 0 hp, not already being at 0 hp at the point of polymorphing. The use of the word "target" would seem to imply the "normal form" I'll grant you, but then the spell wouldn't end when the "target" drops to 0 hp, but rather when the target's Polymorphed form drops to 0 hp. After all, we all just assume that when the shapechanged form drops to 0 hp it reverts back to the normal form, but it uses the word "target" in the first sentence.

All together, it seems that you are perfectly capable of targeting an unconscious, but willing, ally with the Polymorph spell. If so, it is the best healing spell in the game by far.

MaxWilson
2016-03-07, 05:20 PM
You're using an old version of the PHB. According to the Errata, the newer versions of the PHB have an additional rule:

Polymorph (p. 266). This spell can’t
affect a target that has 0 hit points.

Also, Extended Aura of Vitality is still a better healing spell anyway.

RulesJD
2016-03-07, 06:09 PM
You're using an old version of the PHB. According to the Errata, the newer versions of the PHB have an additional rule:

Also, Extended Aura of Vitality is still a better healing spell anyway.

*shakes fist*

While extended Aura heals more HP no doubt, it's far worse of an in-combat healing spelling considering Polymorph heals for 157hp instantly (Giant Ape) AND makes any character instantly beastmode in melee, while Aura both requires the Paladorc's/Bardorc's concentration AND heals for a small amount per turn.

Plus, I just love the idea of surprising a party member when my Wizard says "oh yes I know I'm a wizard but I can *air quotes* heal you. Are you willing?"

pwykersotz
2016-03-07, 06:19 PM
On the other hand, it's great for when they drop to low but still greater than 0 hp.

MaxWilson
2016-03-07, 08:58 PM
*shakes fist*

While extended Aura heals more HP no doubt, it's far worse of an in-combat healing spelling considering Polymorph heals for 157hp instantly (Giant Ape) AND makes any character instantly beastmode in melee, while Aura both requires the Paladorc's/Bardorc's concentration AND heals for a small amount per turn.

Plus, I just love the idea of surprising a party member when my Wizard says "oh yes I know I'm a wizard but I can *air quotes* heal you. Are you willing?"

Polymorph requires concentration too so that's a wash.

"Heals for a small amount per turn" = "free Healing Word every turn" = "dies only if you fail three death checks, probably due to crits in melee range". Depending on the circumstances they can be even better than healing out of combat. It's the same Healing Word combo that DMs love to nerf, only with AoV it doesn't even cost spell slots every round like Healing Word does and you get to use AoV after combat to finish topping everyone off.

And it does it without giving you the gaping Wisdom/Int save vulnerabilities that come with Polymorph: Giant Ape.

However, do what you enjoy. Your wizard scenario would be pretty funny the first time, for instance.

RulesJD
2016-03-08, 10:08 AM
Polymorph requires concentration too so that's a wash.

"Heals for a small amount per turn" = "free Healing Word every turn" = "dies only if you fail three death checks, probably due to crits in melee range". Depending on the circumstances they can be even better than healing out of combat. It's the same Healing Word combo that DMs love to nerf, only with AoV it doesn't even cost spell slots every round like Healing Word does and you get to use AoV after combat to finish topping everyone off.

And it does it without giving you the gaping Wisdom/Int save vulnerabilities that come with Polymorph: Giant Ape.

However, do what you enjoy. Your wizard scenario would be pretty funny the first time, for instance.

*sigh*

Paladin has many better options to be concentrating on. Bless and Haste alone trump it in almost every circumstance.

Yes, Polymorph is concentration, but not by a front line target likely to be getting smacked a lot. Additionally, Wizards have significantly more non-concentration resources to use over an adventuring day. Not to mention, that Concentration slow not only grants 157hp worth of healing INSTANTLY, it also grants you an incredible amount of battlefield control (Huge size) and pretty impressive damage.

Yes, AoV is a fantastic spell. Yes, it is a better out of combat healing spell WHEN extended (aka you are blowing a ton of resources and multiclassing to get this done). But want to know what's even better at out of combat healing? A short rest. Sure there will be situations where that's not possible, but far more likely to just burn some hit die rather than spell slots + sorc points.