PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question About Item Alteration

Doctor Despair
2016-03-07, 05:32 PM
Suppose I had a belt that granted +4 to charisma and a hat that granted +6 to charisma, both via enhancement bonuses. If an artificer used Item Alteration to change the bonus granted from the belt to, say, an alchemic bonus or circumstantial bonus, would this character now have an effective +10 to charisma? I had assumed this was how the ability would function (since I can't think of any other conceivable reason for using it), but looking at the stacking rules, things typically do not stack if they provide the same type of bonus (not a problem) or come from the same source (yikes!). Oftentimes these enhancement items are created via a spell (in this case Eagle's Splendor), but end up as completed magical items. Would +6 items of charisma, a hat and belt respectfully for example, be considered the same source? Or, in this case, would it only be a problem with rings (two rings of charisma)? Or would it not be an issue at all?

Andezzar
2016-03-07, 05:56 PM
The source is the item granting the bonus, not the spell that may have been used to create that item. If you have one item with an enhancement b0onus and another with a different bonus, they stack.

Where can I find that item alteration ability you talk about?

Doctor Despair
2016-03-07, 06:08 PM
The Artificer Infusions are in the Eberron Campaign Setting. The one is question is called Item Alteration and it can be found online on pdfs, dndtools, therafirm, and the like. The relevant text is:

You alter an item that provides a certain type of bonus so that it provides a different type of bonus to the same value or roll. For example, you could change a ring of protection +1 so that it provided a natural armor bonus to Armor Class instead of a deflection bonus, or you could change a cloak of resistance so that it provided a circumstance bonus on saves instead of a resistance bonus. You cannot use this infusion to change an item so that it provides a sacred or profane bonus, nor can you change an item that already does so to make it provide a different kind of bonus. You also cannot make an item provide a dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-07, 06:25 PM
You've parsed the rules correctly. As long as each item is providing a different type of bonus to charisma then they stack. I'm not sure how I overlooked such a useful infusion all these years. Need to run more artificers I guess.

Incidentally, it cannot be found on dndtools. I had to actually open my ECS for this one.