PDA

View Full Version : Random Stick

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-26, 05:58 AM
I am making a web comic and wanted to show off the first strip. I will make a page for it eventually.

EDIT: PLEASE LEAVE YOU THOUGHTS, COMPLIMENTS, CRITICISMS.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-26, 05:58 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/TheSilverKnight/Random%20Stick/Random-Stick.gif

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/TheSilverKnight/Random%20Stick/Random-Stick-1.gif

r2e
2006-06-26, 07:21 AM
hmm...IMO its just kinda like OOTS without the colour...

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-26, 07:57 AM
hmm...IMO its just kinda like OOTS without the colour...

The art style of each comic or set of comics will vary what makes this comic in particular simmilar to OOTS is the line thickness and the everpresent unibrow.

Edit: I wanted to fill in the heads but giving them a color seems to copy from all of the stick movies out ther where the good sticks are blue and the bad guys are black green red and etc...

KayJay
2006-06-26, 11:01 AM
There wasn't really a punchline at all. Didn't find the disappearing, the arrow, the stabbing, or the kicking of the head to be all that funny or anything.

Adghar
2006-06-26, 02:08 PM
I agree with KayJay. Perhaps a different form of artistic representation would be more appropriate for you. I speak of animation, which is within your capabilities if your possessions include Adobe Imageready or Macromedia Flash or Jasc Animation Workshop. There are others I might've missed, of course, but I know nothing of them.

Some positive comments I guess would be that I could easily tell what was happening in each panel. That's a good thing. Also, the premise of a (not completely, for that would require some sort of quantam manipulation device or some such) random world intrigues me.

warmachine
2006-06-26, 03:35 PM
I am only left with questions. Why is one upset at the other one? Who are they and what do they do? Why is there such a huge imbalance between them in terms of powers? Why does the victor delight in such cruelty and defilement?

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-26, 07:38 PM
^ read the name of the comic. But to satisfy you the victor of the match is named#1 he is just plain rude and in the past he has done many things of wronghearted anture to our other character(Stick#2) and his family and is finnaly making a stand.

The second comic will be a contiuation of this one I might take this one a little farther befroe I computerize more of my scetches and put them up some are funny while others are stupid and others just plain wrong I think I will compuetize my comic entitled Boom just to show how far I am willing to go to disturb people. But once again it is meant to be completly random ideas thet just pop into my head that I stick figureize.

I was considdering making this one a flash movie but my skill at hand drawn animatin in flash is not that good my forte would be Sprite animation.

Sneak
2006-06-26, 07:45 PM
Ummm...I don't get it. I don't get what's going on or why it's funny.

Lykan
2006-06-26, 07:52 PM

Huh?

Shea Landford
2006-06-26, 11:03 PM
Seriously. There was no point that I saw to that comic other than to waste time drawing stick figures, which you could have done by hand and not put on the internet and NOT shown us so that we would not be majorly dissapointed.

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-26, 11:07 PM
Who doesn't like random Stick-Figure violence? But yes, if it is going to be a comic, it requires a punchline. I do like how much expression you got out of simple stick-people though, good artwork.

Hoseki
2006-06-27, 09:33 AM
Well, I don't.

Art nitpick: The legs are too short, and so are the arms. Two's arms vanish in panel 11.

Words nitpick: 'Finger' should not be capitalized, and neither should the second and third 'Ha's. Number two should probably be saying something in panel nine instead of a bunch of lines (he's already spoken in panel one, so we know he's not a Woodstock.)

Content nitpick: Erm... it's not funny. It doesn't have a punchline. It makes no sense.

Genome
2006-06-27, 10:34 AM
My thoughts:
I'm not a fan of violence without a purpose.
These stick figures have nothing distinguishable in their appearance to make them memorable or likable.
What little dialogue there is seems extremely forced, and there is no punchline.
Disappear is not spelled dissapear.
No background or anything, they're just fighting in a void.
Randomness by itself is usually funny as the exception, not the rule, as it gets old fast. Take Elan, or that chef guy from ctrl+alt+delete, for example. Even so, there is very little that is random about this comic. Two stick figures hate each other. They hate each other, battle, then one wins and destroys corpse.
On the positive side, I like the disappear effect.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-27, 12:51 PM
I will take all your nitpickeness to hear the next one will be better of mabey just suck ass who knows.

Odd thing is everybody at school thought it was HILAROUS mabey they are just simple minded or like simple things that is why I ultimatly made this one into the first comic.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-27, 12:52 PM
Yeah. Normally ol' Adlav is always one for a well-rounded critique but this tripe just flatout sucks.

Jack Squat
2006-06-27, 01:22 PM
Odd thing is everybody at school thought it was HILAROUS mabey they are just simple minded or like simple things that is why I ultimatly made this one into the first comic.

I think this proves our fears for the sake of humanity. I know plenty of people who think that it'd be funny, and I'm posotive that if you were to run a site for your comic that you'd amass a large following.

That's what scares me.

I could make no sense of the comic, except that the two were enemies and apparently the guy on the right has some sort of training in martial arts and magic.

I give it a one out of five because I couldn't keep up, maybe if there was a little backstory it would have been rated higher.

RecklessFable
2006-06-27, 01:25 PM
I think you've all missed the point. The key here is the word "DISSAPEAR" which is clearly a sentence spoken quickly, rather than a single word.

Let's break it down:
Diss - To show disrespect
A - Singular pronoun
Pear - A tasty produce item, usually green or brown-skinned with an egg-like shape.

This battle revolved around which of these merchants sold the better produce. In the final frame, the loser lost his Melon. Sacrificial melons are a common theme in the Greek Myths, if memory serves.

Genius!

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-27, 01:28 PM
Nice try. Visit my site to see it done right, junior.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-27, 04:21 PM
I think you've all missed the point. The key here is the word "DISSAPEAR" which is clearly a sentence spoken quickly, rather than a single word.

Let's break it down:
A - Singular pronoun
Pear - A tasty produce item, usually green or brown-skinned with an egg-like shape.

This battle revolved around which of these merchants sold the better produce. In the final frame, the loser lost his Melon. Sacrificial melons are a common theme in the Greek Myths, if memory serves.

Genius!

Ummmm wow you are completly................where the hell did you come up with this. Lets just Go with that.

orcmonk89
2006-06-27, 04:37 PM
I didn't get it either. I'm sorry, but the characters just appeared to me to be one dimensional (pardon any puns there) and the violance was unneccessary. Maybe if we'd have known more, it would have been fine. But as a stand alone...

Sneak
2006-06-27, 04:42 PM
Ummmm wow you are completly................where the hell did you come up with this. Lets just Go with that.

It's called a joke. And if you didn't recognize that, I can see where the lack of humor in the comic is coming from.

Wiggle
2006-06-27, 05:02 PM
Typo (unless deliberate)

Dissapear should be spelt Disappear

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-27, 06:21 PM
It's called a joke. And if you didn't recognize that, I can see where the lack of humor in the comic is coming from.

And thats called sarcasm

Add in:To make you ppl happy this will be comic number 2 and or three and I will make other comics that lead up to it expect to see them tomorow or thursday. I will also correct the spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-27, 07:11 PM
OK I modded the origonal comic in the OP and here it is again if you didn't look at the first page.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/TheSilverKnight/Random%20Stick/Random-Stick-1.gif

wolf_mage
2006-06-27, 07:13 PM
And thats called sarcasm
Actually, I would posit that he wasn't being sarcastic at all.

And I agree with the others, your comic was painfully unfunny. What grade are you in in school? Maybe the (nonetheless poorly executed) randomness was still new to your classmates...

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 07:21 PM
I didn't reply originally to be nice, this was a horrendously stupid place to ask for opinions. Look at the comic debate threads, people here take they're comics, evne funny ones, seriously. Look at the science they bring in or the gaming threads, people here over-analyze things more than they should and tend to be fairly intelligent at doing it even. In summary, people here are too-smart-for-their-own-good obsessive geeks. That crowd will detest your comic.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-27, 07:42 PM
Actually, I would posit that he wasn't being sarcastic at all.

And I agree with the others, your comic was painfully unfunny. What grade are you in in school? Maybe the (nonetheless poorly executed) randomness was still new to your classmates...

What I said to him was sarcasam and I am a Senior in high school

EDIT: I was just talking to a friend on aim and decied to show it to him and his first responce to me was "I love the randomness" just FYI

Axl_Rose
2006-06-27, 09:56 PM
It's nice animation, but it's not really so much funny as it is unnecessarily violent.

Krytha
2006-06-28, 01:07 AM
... uh, I found it rather weak, in terms of story telling, logic, background, execution ... pretty much in every aspect... Was the funny part where stick character "A"'s head went splat or when stick character "B" flipped him the bird at the beginning?

I guess gratuitous violence is the new norm, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-28, 01:12 AM
... uh, I found it rather weak, in terms of story telling, logic, background, execution ... pretty much in every aspect... Was the funny part where stick character "A"'s head went splat or when stick character "B" flipped him the bird at the beginning?

I guess gratuitous violence is the new norm, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

No one said you have too. Once again I reiterate that it is sRANDOM thoughts that just pop into my head and I cartoonize. This one started with just the thought of some one using a head as a soccer ball.

Messy
2006-06-28, 01:14 AM
I sense that this thread may be locked for venting...but who knows? No one listens to the Messy people.

I thought the comic definitely lacked any ... umm ... well, really anything at all. Personally making random stuff keeps me happy too :D , so I like this kind of thing too, but honestly I think most people (and they are, I don't think there have been many compliments yet) wouldn't really like this comic. Although I would give it the silver medal for randomness (gold goes to OOTS comic #301 of course)!

But, truly, I think that if you took the time and effort to have any kind of storyline, and planned the jokes at least...oh say, 10 seconds before you drew them ;) , you could be a perfectly fine comic-creator-person.

No matter what though, you could never, ever, EVER match up with the talent of Rich Burlew AKA The Giant :D

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-28, 09:40 PM
It's nice animation, but it's not really so much funny as it is unnecessarily violent.

Who doesnt love unnecessary stick figure violence? I too love the animation, and once again, hpw much expression you could get out of such primitive shapes.

bluish_wolf
2006-06-28, 10:18 PM
You should probably change the speech bubble in line 3, panel 3 to a thought bubble.

Also, if they are on a hill, outside, what's the head splattering on?

Of course, it's kind of hard to critique a comic on just one strip.

If it's going to be a humorous, black comedy; then it needs jokes.

If it's going to be an edgy, action-type comic; then it needs a plot.

Messy
2006-06-28, 10:22 PM
You should probably change the speech bubble in line 3, panel 3 to a thought bubble.

Or if it's going to be a mix of the two, like OOTS, then it needs planning ahead and very good jokes ;)

Wisp
2006-06-29, 07:29 AM
It was very good. ;D

Messy
2006-06-29, 12:46 PM
It was very good. ;D

Ding-ding-ding!! We have a winner!
TheSilverKnight, you have a compliment! :D

crusk
2006-06-29, 03:52 PM
sorry but i got to agree with every body els

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-29, 06:48 PM

It is none of the above it is RANDOM STICK comics. And it is splating on his foot.

It was very good. ;D

Thank you first compliment on the boards at least.

Sneak
2006-06-29, 07:12 PM

Yes, that looks EXACTLY like sarcasm to me. I'm sorry I failed to detect it, I guess you're just the Sarcazz Master.

And while I don't consider this funny or good at all as it is, and it seems like my opinion is the majority, even those who LIKE it probably won't like it for long. It's possible for one comic of random stickness to be good. Two, fine. Three, ok. Four, they're getting a little tired of it. Five, can't this person think of something else? Six, what the hell? Seven, this sucks.

If you notice, in CAD, Chef Brian only appears every so often. There's a reason for that.

bluish_wolf
2006-06-29, 07:41 PM
It is none of the above it is RANDOM STICK comics. And it is splating on his foot.

Come now, even Seinfield, a show about nothing, had jokes. You have style, but no substance. It's like a marshmallow. I could probably had come up with a better analogy, though.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-29, 08:04 PM
Ok I have managed to fool you guys this long there is a story and this whole 1st comic will make sence in the 2nd. On that note the 2nd comic is half-way finished. The art is a little less on the quality side but I am rushing it a little and I did not sketch this one out first went straight to AI.

Mabey it will improve as it goes on.

Messy
2006-06-29, 09:34 PM
Ok I have managed to fool you guys this long there is a story and this whole 1st comic will make sence in the 2nd. On that note the 2nd comic is half-way finished. The art is a little less on the quality side but I am rushing it a little and I did not sketch this one out first went straight to AI.

Mabey it will improve as it goes on.

I will be here for you as much as I can along the way to make suggestions / comments / compliments, or at least until I get bored and switch to a different topic ;)

Please don't rush, I at least can wait, and we're all gathered here to wait for Rich's work to be done anyway, so...

I do hope you can revise the comic and make it into a masterpiece. It needs a storyline (that makes sense and people can relate to, even barely), and jokes (that make sense and are funny and definitely NOT cheesy ;) )

Sneak
2006-06-29, 09:47 PM
Ok I have managed to fool you guys this long there is a story and this whole 1st comic will make sence in the 2nd.

Right. Yup. You've got us there. You really fooled us. Uh-huh. Yeah.

More like you didn't have any storyline until we all said it needed one, at which point you tried to retcon. I didn't know retconning worked IRL...

Idiotbox90
2006-06-29, 09:48 PM
You're using the wrong medium. Look at this.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/demented.php

You could make something similar to that. But this kind of humor:
1. Can't be used for long-term stories.
2. Should not be posted on this board. People here are jerks.

The only part of the comic I liked was the labeling of the middle finger. I don't know why.

Messy
2006-06-29, 09:48 PM
Right. Yup. You've got us there. You really fooled us. Uh-huh. Yeah.

More like you didn't have any storyline until we all said it needed one, at which point you tried to retcon. I didn't know retconning worked IRL...

Oh, quiet. Play nice, kiddies ;)

Sneak
2006-06-29, 09:56 PM
Bah. I'm just cranky. And I don't like being told that I've been fooled when it's obviously not true, right after being told that 'I was being sarcastic.'

Anyway. It could work out this way, but I still think if you made a Flash animation, it would work a lot better. Random stickiness works much better with animation than with comics.

Messy
2006-06-29, 09:58 PM
Bah. I'm just cranky. And I don't like being told that I've been fooled when it's obviously not true, right after being told that 'I was being sarcastic.'

Anyway. It could work out this way, but I still think if you made a Flash animation, it would work a lot better. Random stickiness works much better with animation than with comics.

I say go for it, TheSilverKnight. It may not turn out well, but you get experience from mistakes. Good luck! ;)

Justiceface
2006-06-29, 10:18 PM

Let's break it down:
A - Singular pronoun

Genius!

That was just amazing :D

The comic however was not. I enjoy random just as much as the next person but that didnt even seem random to me just a comic with no punchline. Usally a comic that is going for the whole random thing has stuff happen that has nothing to do with what has taken place so far in the comic.

Here is a very bad example.(not in comic form)

Jesus is fighting a mailman that turns into a giant lizard that shoots chocolate suace from his eyes and just as he is about to finish jesus off a Toaster runs in with two plates of french toast. At this point the Giant Lizard says "You cant make french toast in a toaster". The toaster cries and Jesus and the Giant Lizard have a good laugh.

Messy
2006-06-29, 10:25 PM
That was just amazing :D

The comic however was not. I enjoy random just as much as the next person but that didnt even seem random to me just a comic with no punchline. Usally a comic that is going for the whole random thing has stuff happen that has nothing to do with what has taken place so far in the comic.

Jesus is fighting a mailman that turns into a giant lizard that shoots chocolate suace from his eyes and just as he is about to finish jesus off a Toaster runs in with two plates of french toast. At this point the Giant Lizard says "You cant make french toast in a toaster". The toaster cries and Jesus and the Giant Lizard have a good laugh.

I bet I could do better. You should start a thread in the silly games forum about "who can tell the funniest random story?!" :D

Edit: I just started one ;D

HomerHT
2006-06-29, 11:02 PM

To topic creator: the above is both random and funny, as it has some kind of punchline. Your comic would do better if, say, the stick figure at the end says "That's certainly not a way to get aHEAD in life!"

My main quarrel is that you call this work "random," but there is a definite order to it that denies the aspect of randomness you were probably attempting to create. Maybe stick figure #3 comes out of nowhere and breaks a chair over the 'winner's' head. Shortly after, stickman #3 is eaten by a Stegasaurus.

In short, make your random more random, and throw in a really bad pun/joke. That'd at least make me like it a lot more and would probably be more enjoyable on the whole.

Messy
2006-06-29, 11:09 PM
To topic creator: the above is both random and funny, as it has some kind of punchline. Your comic would do better if, say, the stick figure at the end says "That's certainly not a way to get aHEAD in life!"

My main quarrel is that you call this work "random," but there is a definite order to it that denies the aspect of randomness you were probably attempting to create. Maybe stick figure #3 comes out of nowhere and breaks a chair over the 'winner's' head. Shortly after, stickman #3 is eaten by a Stegasaurus.

In short, make your random more random, and throw in a really bad pun/joke. That'd at least make me like it a lot more and would probably be more enjoyable on the whole.

"Random is as random does." ;D

What, nobody got that?

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-30, 01:25 AM
Maybe stick figure #3 comes out of nowhere and breaks a chair over the 'winner's' head. Shortly after, stickman #3 is eaten by a Stegasaurus.

Actualy the paper and pencil version had something simmilar stick # 3 comes out of nowhere and shoot stick #1 but with the story I am planing we can't ahve the main character type person-a-ma-bob dieing even if it isn't permanent(oops
:o said to much(hint hint))

bluish_wolf
2006-06-30, 08:22 AM

Hard to tell if that was truly random or just appears random. I mean, where you planning that toaster joke from the start or what?

The only way to make a truly random comic would be to have multiple artists and have them switch off between strips.

Golby
2006-06-30, 09:13 AM
I don't mean to cruelly bash what an author may consider to be worthy work. However you did ask for criticism and opinions, and my own says this is a disgrace to the comic art form.

The main concept already starts rather weak. Random violence and stick figures have already been linked countless times before, and a quick stroll around Newgrounds will result in more flash animations with the exact same idea than I can possibly tolerate (albeit some of them are quite good and elaborate, I will give you that).

Then there is the artwork. Proportions are never respected, and there is negligible internal coherence from panel to panel. Adding to the confusion/frustration is the fact that the characters are both perfectly identical.

Suffice should it be to say that if you really need to clarify that a middle finger is in fact a middle finger, then the visuals need improvement.

But anyway, what I think people truly wish to see is effort. Random stick seems to have been randomly put together in a couple of random minutes, and doesn't appear to be the result of respectable effort, thinking and planning - something the writer of the comic should consider a priority, disregarding the randomness or lack of it in its content.

I suppose my final advice would be to never take your friends' criticism so seriously. Personal attachment can be too strong of a bias in these cases, and your target must surely exceed by far the limits of your social circle.

I don't know if such rambling was indeed worth it, but I could spare the time and was bored. Apologies all around. ;)

- Golby

Jack Mann
2006-06-30, 09:45 AM
The only way to make a truly random comic would be to have multiple artists and have them switch off between strips.

Like an exquisite corpse?

Silver, sorry, but your comic isn't much of anything. It's not all that random, and it's not funny.

Randomness is funny because it's an inversion of an expected structure. We laugh at Chef Brian because his non sequiturs are so different from normal language and logic. Its that context that makes it unexpected and amusing. Yours lacks any context. Stick figure violence has been done often enough that it's become a norm. It isn't absurd, just expected. There's no context to the combat or the characters' abilities, but it's not particularly random. Since there's no real joke in the strip, there's nothing all that funny about it.

And as has been said before, even if you achieve something that is random and amusing, it will get old pretty quickly. This is why Catsby and Twisp are used so sparingly. The material simply can't support that many strips.

Jack Squat
2006-06-30, 10:31 AM
but with the story I am planing we can't ahve the main character type person-a-ma-bob dieing even if it isn't permanent(oops
:o said to much(hint hint))
You've never read casey and andy (http://galactanet.com/comic/) have you?

LostInBrittany
2006-06-30, 10:35 AM
2. Should not be posted on this board. People here are jerks.

Hey, thanks...

::)

Messy
2006-06-30, 11:58 AM
Again...just keep working on it, I'll stay to give comments as much as I can. It may not be good now, and we've had enough people talk about that, so let him make a new one, and we can comment on that.

Let him try again.

Jack Mann
2006-06-30, 01:12 PM
Well, certainly he should try again. That's the reason we point out flaws in his current comic; so that he can avoid those mistakes in the next.

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-30, 03:10 PM
Exactly. I assume that was your first ever try at this...? That is hwy you make some 25+ in advance, and then make the first Web-release one. I have a comic, but it sucks. I have 50+ strips, and none of them are going on the net.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-30, 05:41 PM
Exactly. I assume that was your first ever try at this...? That is hwy you make some 25+ in advance, and then make the first Web-release one. I have a comic, but it sucks. I have 50+ strips, and none of them are going on the net.

It was my first attempt at converting an hand drawn comic to the pixle format if I had a scanner ready I would probally have just traced it in photoshop but I don't so.

hyikim
2006-06-30, 07:02 PM
its oots, but worse, MUCH worse

bluish_wolf
2006-06-30, 07:28 PM
its oots, but worse, MUCH worse

It isn't like OotS at all. Apart from the stick figures.

Genome
2006-06-30, 08:36 PM
But the stick figures are so vastly different, that I wouldn't even compare it that way. It's more like the stick things you see on newgrounds and other such sites.

Felinoid
2006-07-01, 07:53 AM
Now THIS (http://www.explosm.net/comics/453/) is random stick. Your comic is just pointless violence with stick figures. Now gratuitous violence can be funny, but only if done properly. You need excessive gore, or funny dialogue, or an odd pairing for the fght; this has none of those. The head thing comes close to excessive gore, but doesn't quite make the cut. A more realistic splatter might help, but then it's somewhat hurt by the lack of gore on the "Stab". Definitely needs improvement.

Also, the middle finger does not need labelling if you do the same thing with it that you unnecessarilly did with the arrow. Simply reference it in dialogue. You could even slip an overreaction joke in by starting them as friends, though that would be admittedly ignoring the backstory you have for these two.
" :) Hey pal, how are you -- WTF? You're flipping me off?! >:( I'll kill you!!"
;D

TheSilverKnight
2006-07-03, 05:44 AM
Ok here is number 2 it ends just before anything good happens but I garentee number 3 will not only be funny but will finish the backstory.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/TheSilverKnight/Random%20Stick/Random-Stick-2.gif

If the comic appears unfinished delete your cookies and refresh.

KayJay
2006-07-03, 11:46 AM
If you're going to make "naked" stick figures, you may want to have more identifying features than you currently have, as your stick figures generally look the same, other than maybe a different shaped head.

Genome
2006-07-03, 12:09 PM
Much better, Silver Knight. Now they are beginning to have some depth. Good work!

orcmonk89
2006-07-03, 12:29 PM
I must say, it's looking better. I'd also agree that it's tricky to tell the characters apart. Maybe if one had a scar or something. :o

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-03, 12:52 PM
Yes, looking better. :)

A long time ago I toyed with the idea of a stick figure comic, and the only way to distinguish them was by their weapons. I discarded it. I then tried a comic where they were Commandos and wearing different color armor. I threw that out to. But those are two ideas for you to distinguish them apart, weapons (Which you seem to be doing), and colors of the lines.

Ing
2006-07-03, 12:54 PM
What the hell was that???

bluish_wolf
2006-07-03, 01:23 PM
It should be:

"Man, I wish that was real. That damn bow apperentice at fighting school is always showing me up."

"Barracks"

"Yeah, you."

"Actually, it's because of YOU that everyone makes fun of you."

Felinoid
2006-07-03, 02:07 PM
Ah, story. Still not what I'd class as random, but considerably better than the previous one.

Sneak
2006-07-03, 05:01 PM
Much better.

The only thing that bugs me now are the grammar/spelling mistakes.

TheSilverKnight
2006-07-03, 06:59 PM
Well with all the posatives I will definatly make number 3 and that should finish off the backstory and there will be some random humor too.

Starla
2006-08-11, 05:24 AM
I think you could go for the Spy VS Spy look and make one a different color than the other. Or opposing colors like red and blue.

Edit: Oh and I don't think you have to have a punchline or a joke in a comic--it is a medium to express an idea. If you intend it to be funny then there should be something to laugh at. I have two examples of very mildly humorous and somewhat random stick figure comics in my sig.

In case I don't keep them there:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Denfoodle/Go_away_from_rain.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Denfoodle/Fireworks_face.jpg

These are essentially one liners. You don't need a lot of info to understand what is happening in the comic.

Appolo
2006-08-13, 02:19 PM
hahaha! wow, those are good.

TheSilverKnight
2006-12-18, 04:34 PM
Woah I haven't worked on those comics in a while but I did make a 3rd one a few weeks back. I kind of scrapped the idea but I am getting a tablet and am in an artsy phase so I plan to do morein fact I have #4 hand drawn I just need to scan it and trace it in Illustrator and then color it in photoshop.

Check out my forum The Silver Knight Games (http://theskgames.proboards83.com) if you are intrested in seeing #3 and the continuation shortly after xmas.

squeakyreaper
2006-12-28, 12:18 AM
I must say to you OotS knock offs;
They're sticks because its original!
Now, sticks look bad. But the giant makes it look good, nice, snazzy, and/or original. With people stealing it, its less original and more suckage. Come up with something on your own; perhaps square people or something!

TheSilverKnight
2006-12-29, 03:32 AM
I must say to you OotS knock offs;
They're sticks because its original!
Now, sticks look bad. But the giant makes it look good, nice, snazzy, and/or original. With people stealing it, its less original and more suckage. Come up with something on your own; perhaps square people or something!

I was doing stick comics before OoTS existed not online because I was like 12 but whatever. I don't claim sticks to be original. And Rich wasn't the first guy with a stick figure web comic. He wasn't the first one with a D&D web comic either. He was just the first to put them together and thats why we like OotS I suppose. I am also using stick figures for good reason. They are simple to make but by adding props and enviroment you can give off expression and emotin just like any other style of drawing.

Also so long as I think its fun and I can entertain friends and maybe the denizens of the net I will draw what I want how I please. If you have a problem with it don't read it plain and simple.

If square people are your thing go for it although I have seen that in flash and on paper but not in web comics.

Your friendly open minded forum goer TheSK.