PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Playing as a Efreet (Genie)

Pyrophoenix
2016-03-07, 06:06 PM
Hello,

As part of a backstory I had created for one of the campaigns I was in, my character was a Genasi who was trying to get his Efreet daughter back as she was lost in another plane of existence. In a new campaign that I am playing me and my friends are playing as the children of our previous character (which in my case i would be an efreet), and the thing is I can't seem to find any sort of information on playing as a genie. Me and my friends have speculated it would just be an efreet whose stats have been lowered so they're not as OP as they are by saying that my character has been cursed by having most of their powers sealed away. Can anybody help provide the sort of stats you would have if you were starting as a 5e efreet?

An example that we came up with is something like, you can still fly just at 30ft (instead of 40ft) and only a few ft of the ground (so it is basically like hovering).

Thanks for helping!

Addaran
2016-03-07, 06:29 PM
Aren't genasi weaker elementals? How did he have a efreet daughter? =O

Easiest solution would probably to have a fire genasi gish. Though it would take a very long time to get fly as an EK. So probably a bladesinger.

Or start with winged tiefling for stats. Except that you fly with magic instead of wings. Change his spells for appropriate efreet spell.

Those are the "RAWest" solutions if you want to stay at the same CR as the other players.

Pyrophoenix
2016-03-07, 07:01 PM
Aren't genasi weaker elementals? How did he have a efreet daughter? =O

Well I went off the idea of the fact that genasi are descendants of genies, so there is a small chance that a genasi can give birth to a genie. Similar to how in harry potter two non-wizards can give birth to a wizard if somewhere along there bloodline there was a wizard.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-07, 09:40 PM
Well I went off the idea of the fact that genasi are descendants of genies, so there is a small chance that a genasi can give birth to a genie. Similar to how in harry potter two non-wizards can give birth to a wizard if somewhere along there bloodline there was a wizard.

That's GM dependable...in the existing fluff, D&D genetics doesn't work that way. No matter how many half-dragon matings happens, you won't ever get a full dragon out of it. Once you dillute a bloodline, it won't ever get back to full strength.

EternalPrime
2016-03-07, 11:51 PM
Genetics aside, I had a similar idea for a short-lived campaign last spring. My character was an Efreeti who had been forcibly bound to serve a wizard for 101 years crafting fire-themed magic items. After his years of servitude, he was diminished in power and stature. He needed to regain his former power before seeking revenge on the wizard.

Statistically I played a 6'6" fire genasi eldritch knight. The DM allowed me to select spells which were not normally available to eldritch knights but were spell-like abilities of efreet such as invisibility and enlarge. I was also allowed to permanently sacrifice a 1st-level slot to gain a base natural AC of 13 that didn't stack with armor.

One of the established bad guys in the campaign wielded a flame tongue sword that my character had crafted while in servitude. The campaign ended before my character could reclaim it.

Flashy
2016-03-08, 12:11 AM
I would just represent it as a fire genasi (refluffed as an Efreet) since I have trouble imagining anything you could do to turn a CR 11 genie statblock into a balanced player race that wouldn't essentially boil down into making a fire genasi. Maybe do +1 str instead of the default fire genasi +1 int?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-08, 05:56 AM
How about a Fire Genasi, but with Wish as a once/day innate spell?