PDA

View Full Version : Energy Immunity & Vulnerability interaction?

Sahleb
2016-03-07, 09:26 PM
So, Tempest Stormwind talked about how putting an energy vulnerability on a monster cancelled out immunity. I can't find that rule referenced anywhere. Does anyone know why he thought this was the case in the 3.5e rules?

I need to kill something big, preferably with fire.

Troacctid
2016-03-07, 09:40 PM
It's the opposite. Putting immunity on a creature negates its vulnerability. No matter which order you apply them in, no damage is dealt.

Sian
2016-03-08, 06:31 AM
Vulnerability adds +50%, while Immunity makes you take 0 damage ... 0+50% = 0, if added the other way around you'll end your roll calculations by substituting your result with 0.

ahenobarbi
2016-03-08, 06:59 AM
You want Searing Spell feat from Sandstorm (spell ignores fire resstance, immune creatures get half damage, +1 spell level).

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 04:14 PM
You want Searing Spell feat from Sandstorm (spell ignores fire resstance, immune creatures get half damage, +1 spell level).

There are several feats like this that turn half of the damage dealt by a spell into a different type of damage that generally bypasses any immunity the target has to the original damage type. Violate Spell comes to mind.

Sahleb
2016-03-08, 04:22 PM
There are several feats like this that turn half of the damage dealt by a spell into a different type of damage that generally bypasses any immunity the target has to the original damage type. Violate Spell comes to mind.

Or all of it, with the right ability. Silver Pyromancer, for example.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 04:43 PM
Or all of it, with the right ability. Silver Pyromancer, for example.

Well yes, but smoked Gouda isn't exactly my favorite cheese :smalltongue:

Sahleb
2016-03-08, 04:44 PM
Well yes, but smoked Gouda isn't exactly my favorite cheese :smalltongue:

Heh. :smallredface:

Necroticplague
2016-03-08, 05:23 PM
So, Tempest Stormwind talked about how putting an energy vulnerability on a monster cancelled out immunity. I can't find that rule referenced anywhere. Does anyone know why he thought this was the case in the 3.5e rules?

I'm pretty sure there's a Sage ruling to that extent. However, like in many other cases, the Sage is wrong. Having an energy immunity cancels out your vulnerability, regardless of what order you do it in (If you apply vulnerability first, you get 1.5(DAMAGE)*0=0. Apply immunity first, you get 0(DAMAGE)*1.5=0).