PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Great strength come great weakness (help me)

killingfish
2016-03-08, 02:18 PM
I am playing a BearWarrior, now at lv 12. When raging i can do over 120 damage in a single turn (more if a spell caster uses animal growth scroll on me)
This is great against single or small number of opponents. However in my campain the world is at war so there is a lot of lower lv enemy's which isnt that bad apart from i get targeted due to my very low AC of 18-19.
I am looking for a way to help increase my AC. I looked at the wild armor enchant but druids are not in this world so thats a no go. I already have a animated tower shield which i can use in my bear form. Apart from this i have nothing.
Items to increase my AC will not work as they either mold with me or drop to the ground and the effects dont work.

If there is could you tell me of a Feat that allows me to decrease my attack role to gain AC. (my chances of missing these lower lv NPC's are normally natural 1's so i can afford to lose some AR)

Or anything else that might work

Immabozo
2016-03-08, 02:28 PM
Knockback feat + Combat Reflexes feat + good dex +great Str + PA + Leap attack + shock trooper + War Hulk PrC (hit 3 squares with each attack) + Pounce + reach was the greatest defense I have ever had. Who care what your AC is for no one can ever hit you?

+50 to +70 bullrush attempts for free after my final attack on a given target, would send them FLYING, and then they come back for more? AoO, bullrush them back (without moving) and send them FLYING again! Skilled weapon enchantment might be something you might want to look into for the build.

Also, in the core rules, I believe you can voluntarily take like a -4 to attack for a +2 AC

killingfish
2016-03-08, 02:36 PM
Thats great for one person in an open field.
But i have an issue with loads of people including ranged wepon's. Which will all make me weaker and in killing rage for there Boss/commander/Leader

Immabozo
2016-03-08, 02:53 PM
hitting 3 enemies per swing will help clear out crowds, knocking them back into other enemies, with the maneuverability shock trooper gives your bullrushes, and into other enemies, for a free trip attempt on them both, tying up 6 enemies per attack, maybe dungeoncrasher fighter for extra damage on the trip attempt, will BFC pretty well and pounce lets you quickly clear a path to them pesky archers and mages. A permanent effect of wind wall on your armor will ensure that arrows will never hit you, DR will help.

Raising your dex will help, also give you more Combat Reflexes AoO, buying better armor is an obvious one, buying better armor enhancements, there are armor and shield crystal in the MIC that will give better AC, DR, or other defensive options. Check out the XPH for some great psionic item options, like the skins that take up their own unique item slot, and you can wear multiple and mental commands can change which one is on top and thus in effect, so you can change the bonus you have on the fly.

Cloaks that give you a miss chance will GREATLY improve your defense!

EDIT: My described build SHINES with TONS of opponents! Just one opponent makes that build sad. So much wasted potential!

Belial_the_Leveler
2016-03-08, 02:55 PM
How many feats do you have available? "Roll With It" gives DR 2/-, can be taken multiple times, and stacks with other sources of DR X/- such as the Barbarian's. It needs Constitution 20 to take though.

A 4th level Dwarven fighter with 20 constitution and 2 flaws could have DR 8/- naked, or 11/- when wearing adamantine heavy armor. Since at 4th level the majority of damage comes from physical attacks, said dwarf is really hard to put down.

But against armies, most mid-level characters have trouble without access to Book of Exalted Deeds cheese. 200 archers can deal about 50 damage per round regardless of your AC. Against said 4th level fighter though, they'd do squat.

Immabozo
2016-03-08, 02:58 PM
also, 1 level of a Psionic class, get a psicrystal and share pain manifested on the psicrytal will effectively give you hardness 5, stack with DR and your golden

EDIT: Cloak of miss chance 50%, Psicrystal + share pain, and DR will make you a monster

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-08, 03:15 PM
You realize that wild armor can also be made by a wizard, sorcerer, clerics of several domains, and even the lowly adept, right? Any crafting wizard worth his salt would relish the challenge of designing such an enhancement if it wasn't something already in circulation.

killingfish
2016-03-08, 03:19 PM
You realize that wild armor can also be made by a wizard, sorcerer, clerics of several domains, and even the lowly adept, right? Any crafting wizard worth his salt would relish the challenge of designing such an enhancement if it wasn't something already in circulation.

Would be nice but the enchant it self states that ' The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape'
My transformation isnt a wild shape

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-08, 03:24 PM
Would be nice but the enchant it self states that ' The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape'
My transformation isnt a wild shape

Huh, could've sworn bear warrior's transformation was based on wildshape. My mistake.

killingfish
2016-03-08, 03:33 PM
Huh, could've sworn bear warrior's transformation was based on wildshape. My mistake.

Its count as a Polymorph

Segev
2016-03-08, 03:36 PM
Talk to your favorite crafting wizard about constructing for you a Mantle of the Multi-Bear. This furry mantle set with a number of bear skulls is a command-activated wondrous item that casts mirror image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorImage.htm) on you. Give it a "usable by bear-warriors in bear form only" tag for a -30% cost. 7560 gp market value. Make the command something you can do in bear form. You now have 1d4+1 duplicates of yourself that soak up hits for you.

Though...that doesn't help against hordes of attackers since a successful targeted hit destroys the image that soaks it for you. Hrm.

You should probably get an item of blur (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blur.htm), instead. Same price if you can justify it being bear-form-only users, 10,800 gp if you can't. Or, if you really want to splurge, a displacement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/displacement.htm) item should be 27,000 gp market price (command activated). Cheaper if you get it for uses/day. At 1 use/day, it'd only be 5400 gp.

Immabozo
2016-03-08, 04:00 PM
Its count as a Polymorph

It is actually "Alter Self, based, IIRC, as is the whole polymorph line, IIRC. not that this distinction makes a grand difference, but it might.

Janthkin
2016-03-08, 05:06 PM
Have armor (barding) crafted for your bear form. Keep it in a bag of holding (or on a mule, if you're cheap). Hire some henchmen to dress you in your armor after you shift form.

Get some potions of spells like Blur, Displace Self, Protection from Arrows. Keep them in a bag. Drink them while in bear form as necessary (don't open the bottle - just grab it and chew it up, 'cause that's how you roll).

Are you playing with friends? Do any of them cast spells? Ask them nicely to buff the bear with defensive spells from time to time.

Get a crystal of arrow deflection for your animated shield.

InvisibleBison
2016-03-08, 05:21 PM
Have armor (barding) crafted for your bear form. Keep it in a bag of holding (or on a mule, if you're cheap). Hire some henchmen to dress you in your armor after you shift form.

Get some potions of spells like Blur, Displace Self, Protection from Arrows. Keep them in a bag. Drink them while in bear form as necessary (don't open the bottle - just grab it and chew it up, 'cause that's how you roll).

Are you playing with friends? Do any of them cast spells? Ask them nicely to buff the bear with defensive spells from time to time.

Get a crystal of arrow deflection for your animated shield.

Barding isn't a great idea, since it takes a long time to put it on.

Janthkin
2016-03-08, 05:41 PM
Barding isn't a great idea, since it takes a long time to put it on.Get a (bear-sized) Ring of Arming made, or enchant the armor/barding with Called (and make sure the command word is bear-compatible).

Although I still like the image of a pit crew racing to armor up the bear while he froths at the mouth.

Sahleb
2016-03-08, 06:11 PM
Bear Warrior has some unique problems.

Here's a list of things you can do:

-Warblade Dip for Wall of Blades. It's only 1/rd though.

-What's your race? If you're a dwarf, two-level dip into Deepwarden. Otherwise, three levels of Stoneblessed(dwarf), then two-level dip in Deepwarden.

-Also, Fist of the Forest. You already have power attack, and the fluff fits.

Wilding Clasps on armor. They cost 4k a piece, and work on whatever equipment. +2 breastplate with wilding clasp is 8400gp, which should be affordable. It's not like you have other things to spend your money on.

Sahleb
2016-03-08, 06:13 PM
Get a (bear-sized) Ring of Arming made, or enchant the armor/barding with Called (and make sure the command word is bear-compatible).

Although I still like the image of a pit crew racing to armor up the bear while he froths at the mouth.

Doesn't work. He'd still have to store the armring somewhere that isn't his person, and then put it on after he rages into a bear.

I think this will help you: His rage is what makes him change into a bear. Consequently, he's only in bear shape for ten or so rounds at a time.

Immabozo
2016-03-08, 06:27 PM
-Also, Fist of the Forest. You already have power attack, and the fluff fits

personally, I quite like this option, it forgoes your armor problem, and you can stack VoP on it because you are already trading in much of the same things, and you will get substantial bonuses.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-08, 07:48 PM
Wilding clasps don't work for the same reason wild armor doesn't work; it keys to wildshape. It also has the issue of requiring wildshape to craft, which is rare outside of druids, which aren't a thing in the OP's setting.

Sahleb
2016-03-08, 08:19 PM
Then it appears you're SOL. See about those dips I talked about - there's no way for you to use magic items. Maybe get your mage friends to layer you in defensive spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-08, 08:25 PM
Intelligent, called barding.

Keep it in a non-magic backpack with instructions to donn itself when you change into a bear.

ATHATH
2016-03-08, 09:23 PM
Doesn't work. He'd still have to store the armring somewhere that isn't his person, and then put it on after he rages into a bear.

I think this will help you: His rage is what makes him change into a bear. Consequently, he's only in bear shape for ten or so rounds at a time.
Throw the ring into the air, morph into a bear, and have it slide onto your now bear-sized finger as it falls back down again.

Segev
2016-03-08, 09:27 PM
Throw the ring into the air, morph into a bear, and have it slide onto your now bear-sized finger as it falls back down again.

Complete with magical girl transformation sequence?

LTwerewolf
2016-03-08, 09:50 PM
Just wanted to point out that animal growth won't work on you, as you're still humanoid. Enlarge person still works though.

TiaC
2016-03-08, 09:53 PM
For less than 12k, you can get a minor schema of extended Greater Luminous Armor. That's a nice AC boost for 14 hours.

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-09, 02:48 AM
If there is could you tell me of a Feat that allows me to decrease my attack role to gain AC. (my chances of missing these lower lv NPC's are normally natural 1's so i can afford to lose some AR)

There actually is a feat which does exactly this, and I legitimately cannot believe nobody has mentioned it yet. It's called Combat Expertise and it's found in the Player's Handbook, but it does require a 13 in Intelligence which as a Barbarian you might not have. If not, there's always ordinary defensive fighting, which can be improved with 5 ranks in Tumble.

My best suggestion if you're worried about the possibility of lots of archers, though, is to get a Crystal of Arrow Deflection and stick it on that animated shield for an extra +5 AC vs ranged attacks.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-09, 02:54 AM
There actually is a feat which does exactly this, and I legitimately cannot believe nobody has mentioned it yet. It's called Combat Expertise and it's found in the Player's Handbook, but it does require a 13 in Intelligence which as a Barbarian you might not have. If not, there's always ordinary defensive fighting, which can be improved with 5 ranks in Tumble.

My best suggestion if you're worried about the possibility of lots of archers, though, is to get a Crystal of Arrow Deflection and stick it on that animated shield for an extra +5 AC vs ranged attacks.

Can't use expertise while raging.

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-09, 03:02 AM
Can't use expertise while raging.

Dammit, I can't believe I forgot that! :smallsigh::smallsigh::smallsigh:

It's late at night. I blame the rotation of the Earth!

Andezzar
2016-03-09, 04:52 AM
How about not solely relying AC as defense? Miss chances would also help.

Segev
2016-03-09, 12:05 PM
How about not solely relying AC as defense? Miss chances would also help.

Hence my suggestion for an item of blur or displacement. Make it a brooch or other gewgaw that can stay fastened to your fur. Or double the price (if you can afford it) for an ioun stone.

If you can convince your DM that a continuous item of wind wall will move one with you rather than placing one in a fixed location, you can protect yourself entirely from mundane archers with that.

An item of shield or (better, in my opinion) shieldbearer, or simply an animated tower shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated) would be able to hover near you for additional AC.

Immabozo
2016-03-09, 12:52 PM
Hence my suggestion for an item of blur or displacement. Make it a brooch or other gewgaw that can stay fastened to your fur. Or double the price (if you can afford it) for an ioun stone.

If you can convince your DM that a continuous item of wind wall will move one with you rather than placing one in a fixed location, you can protect yourself entirely from mundane archers with that.

An item of shield or (better, in my opinion) shieldbearer, or simply an animated tower shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated) would be able to hover near you for additional AC.

Or an item of permanent imp. invisibility, for that matter. Although that might be prohibitively expensive

Hiro Quester
2016-03-09, 12:55 PM
You don't need wilding clasps. Unless I'm missing something, nothing in the Bear Warrior description says it's like wildshape in that all the gear you are wearing melds into your form and becomes non-functional.

It's based on Polymorph, which is based on Alter Self, which says:

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

If that's so, then some of your equipment can just stay on you if it's appropriately sized (or flexibly sized).

So get some Bracers of Armor (armor bonus to AC), an amulet of Natural Armor (Enhancement bonus to your bear's Natural armor) and maybe even a monk's belt if you have a decent wisdom (untyped wisdom bonus to AC).

Or, instead of the bracers, buy your party arcane caster a wand of mage armor that they can hit you with (each shot lasts for an hour). Or ask them to cast mage armor on you (theirs will last longer, but cost a spell slot.

A ring of blinking might even be worth getting, for 50% miss chance of attacks on you (yours take a 20% miss chance, too, though).

A ring of protection would also add a displacement bonus to your AC.

Magic items can adjust their size to fit any wearer.

But even if the DM rules that the size changes you undergo are too much or too quick for magic items to keep up, at least a necklace and a rope belt can be tied in such a way that they expand as your waist and neck get bigger.

Or the Bracers of Armor can be shaped to your bear size. A bear could put those on his forearms with his teeth. Bear-sized rings can be put on your finger using your mouth, too.

Andezzar
2016-03-09, 01:07 PM
A ring of blinking might even be worth getting, for 50% miss chance of attacks on you (yours take a 20% miss chance, too, though).Don't forget that you have to spend a standard action every 7 rounds to keep the blinking effect up.

A ring of protection would also add a displacement bonus to your AC.I think you meant deflection bonus.

Or the Bracers of Armor can be shaped to your bear size. A bear could put those on his forearms with his teeth.Have you ever donned bracers? I doubt you can fasten them with your teeth alone.

@Segev: Somehow I missed your suggestion.

killingfish
2016-03-09, 01:08 PM
Just wanted to point out that animal growth won't work on you, as you're still humanoid. Enlarge person still works though.

The bear warrior actully turns into a bear, not any hydrid type. so i am an animal nor humanoid

killingfish
2016-03-09, 01:13 PM
But even if the DM rules that the size changes you undergo are too much or too quick for magic items to keep up, at least a necklace and a rope belt can be tied in such a way that they expand as your waist and neck get bigger.

Or the Bracers of Armor can be shaped to your bear size. A bear could put those on his forearms with his teeth. Bear-sized rings can be put on your finger using your mouth, too.

The problem is i only rage for 9 turns, cant really waste a turn putting on equipment

LTwerewolf
2016-03-09, 01:30 PM
The bear warrior actully turns into a bear, not any hydrid type. so i am an animal nor humanoid

The class says "as normal for polymorph." It is a polymorph effect, and therefore your type does not change. You are still humanoid. It spells out that you get "the bear form's physical qualities (including size, movement, natural armor bonus, natural weapons, space, and reach), as well as any extra ordinary special attacks possessed by the form (such as improved grab in the brown bear or dire bear form)." It is not indicated anywhere here that would make it different from polymorph.

killingfish
2016-03-09, 01:32 PM
The class says "as normal for polymorph." It is a polymorph effect, and therefore your type does not change. You are still humanoid.

well my gm rules it as a animal

LTwerewolf
2016-03-09, 01:34 PM

Does your gm know the rule and that polymorph was changed so type is not included?

killingfish
2016-03-09, 01:53 PM

I already have the animated thats why i have 18-19 ac, with out it i would have 13-14

Immabozo
2016-03-09, 01:58 PM

I do believe that errata was made because a build abused the crap outta it. Show with the build and the rule pre and post errata and he should change his mind

NapazTrix
2016-03-09, 02:00 PM
Does your gm know the rule and that polymorph was changed so type is not included?

Any link/reference to that errata?

Immabozo
2016-03-09, 02:08 PM
Any link/reference to that errata?

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Willing living creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature. The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin. The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level. You can’t cause a subject to assume a form smaller than Fine, nor can you cause a subject to assume an incorporeal or gaseous form. The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.

Alter Self
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself.

You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).

You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

If the new form is capable of speech, you can communicate normally. You retain any spellcasting ability you had in your original form, but the new form must be able to speak intelligibly (that is, speak a language) to use verbal components and must have limbs capable of fine manipulation to use somatic or material components.

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.

You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.

emphasis mine

Andezzar
2016-03-09, 02:39 PM
Umm, Bear Form is based on Polymorph, not Alter Self directly. Polymorph has this line:
The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to Bear Form.

Immabozo
2016-03-09, 02:57 PM
Umm, Bear Form is based on Polymorph, not Alter Self directly. Polymorph has this line:I don't see why this wouldn't apply to Bear Form.

Polymorph
Transmutation
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature. The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin. The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level. You can’t cause a subject to assume a form smaller than Fine, nor can you cause a subject to assume an incorporeal or gaseous form. The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.

Upon changing, the subject regains lost hit points as if it had rested for a night (though this healing does not restore temporary ability damage and provide other benefits of resting; and changing back does not heal the subject further). If slain, the subject reverts to its original form, though it remains dead.

The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to being polymorphed, and a creature with the shapechanger subtype can revert to its natural form as a standard action.

Material Component
An empty cocoon.

where exactly?

Red Fel
2016-03-09, 03:04 PM
where exactly?

Copy-pasting the exact same quote you used:

Polymorph
Transmutation

Upon changing, the subject regains lost hit points as if it had rested for a night (though this healing does not restore temporary ability damage and provide other benefits of resting; and changing back does not heal the subject further). If slain, the subject reverts to its original form, though it remains dead.

The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to being polymorphed, and a creature with the shapechanger subtype can revert to its natural form as a standard action.

Material Component
An empty cocoon.
See bold.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-09, 03:07 PM
where exactly?

End of the first paragraph of the polymorph description.

Edit: Ninja'd by Red Fel.

Further edit:

The problem is i only rage for 9 turns, cant really waste a turn putting on equipment

Yeah... It also seems rather un-rage-like to pause to don equipment.

A necklace and belt and cloak can easily be tied with slipping knots that adjust longer to keep wearing them. And a Mage armor spell would keep working too.

Or with bracers you could make them bear-sized, and have some padding under them to enable them to fit also your humanoid arms. When you rage you keep the gear you can wear (bracers) and the padding melds into your body and becomes nonfunctional. It's bit cheesy, but a generous DM might go for that.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-09, 03:09 PM
Wee! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060502a) Errata is fun!

Andezzar
2016-03-09, 03:37 PM
Wee! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060502a) Errata is fun!Errata might be fun but the Rules of the Game articles are not errata. Additionally that article deals with Alternate Form to which Bear Form has no connection at all.

Immabozo
2016-03-09, 04:31 PM
Copy-pasting the exact same quote you used:

See bold.

End of the first paragraph of the polymorph description.

Edit: Ninja'd by Red Fel.

haha, I am surprised I missed that! lol. Please accept my apologies, contrary to popular belief, I am not perfect.