PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Movement Speed in 5e?

Madauchip
2016-03-08, 06:33 PM
Me and my friend were playing around with the PHB and DMG and we tried to make the fastest character possible. Here it is:

Race:
-Elf

Class:
-11 Monk
-5 Barbarian
-2 Rogue
-2 Fighter

Equipment-ish Things:
-Mobile Feat
-An artifact with the +10' major property
-Boon of Speed
-Boots of Speed
-Step of the wind
-Action Surge

Buffs from a 3 Fighter/6 Wizard (Battle Master/Transmutation):
-Longstrider
-Haste
-Maneuvering Strike
-Transmuter's Stone
-Expeditious Retreat

Math:
35 (Elf)
30 (Boon)
20 (Monk)
10 (Barbarian)
10 (Mobile)
10 (Transmuter's Stone)
10 (Artifact)
10 (Longstrider)
135' per round
x2 (Haste)
x2 (Boots of Speed)
540' per round

Now dash 7 times for 8x Movement Speed!
-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Action Surge Bonus Action=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Expeditious Retreat=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash
+0.5xMovement Speed (Maneuvering Strike)
4590' per round!!!

That comes to 765'/s, ~522 mph, and 68% the speed of sound!!!

This is my first post and thanks for reading the whole thing! Please feel free to point out any mistakes I made!

CantigThimble
2016-03-08, 06:38 PM
-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash

Cunning action and expeditious retreat both cost your bonus action. Action surge does not give you an extra bonus action.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 08:35 PM
-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash

Cunning action and expeditious retreat both cost your bonus action. Action surge does not give you an extra bonus action.

Even so, this is still a pretty quick character. To the point that we should really start talking about the physics involved, like wind resistance and if this kind of acceleration would be survivable...

Spectre9000
2016-03-08, 08:39 PM
Aarakocra are the fastest with a flying speed of 50ft.

Rhaegar
2016-03-08, 09:03 PM
4590ft/6sec round = 521 miles/hour (839km/hr) Now that's fast. This is on the order of the average cruising speed of commercial jet.

Laserlight
2016-03-08, 09:18 PM
4590ft/6sec round = 521 miles/hour (839km/hr) Now that's fast. This is on the order of the average cruising speed of commercial jet.

"Perfect speed is being there." Teleport, one action, no range limit. Teleporting to the other side of the world in one six second action works out to about 1300 miles per second.

Unfortunately, when I make that trip next week, I have to get there by commercial jet.

Madauchip
2016-03-08, 09:39 PM
-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash

True about Cunning Action and Expeditious Retreat, plus Expeditious Retreat says that it is a self spell and it costs a bonus action each turn to keep going. You are wrong, however, about Action Surge. A quote from the PHB (page 72):

"On your turn, you can take one additional action of top of your regular action and a possible bonus action.'

Only thing is, I don't known what it means by"possible".

P.S. My character's speed is now 3510'/6 seconds, 585'/s, 399 mph, and 52% the speed of sound.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 09:44 PM
True about Cunning Action and Expeditious Retreat, plus Expeditious Retreat says that it is a self spell and it costs a bonus action each turn to keep going. You are wrong, however, about Action Surge. A quote from the PHB (page 72):

"On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action.'

P.S. My character's speed is now 3510'/6 seconds, 585'/s, 399 mph, and 52% the speed of sound.

I think you're parsing it wrong. You're reading:

On your turn, you can take one additional action (on top of your regular action) and a possible bonus action

Whereas I think it is meant to read:

On your turn, you can take one additional action (on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action)

CantigThimble
2016-03-08, 09:45 PM

"On your turn, you can take one additional action of top of your regular action and a possible bonus action.'

That is a section with confusing wording but the consensus on its meaning is that it does not say that you get an extra bonus action, only that the one you normally have on a turn is still possible when you action surge.

Madauchip
2016-03-08, 09:49 PM
Or your companion (now a 11 Wiz/3 Fight) casts Wind Walk on you, making your base fly speed 300. 300x2 (Haste says it doubles your SPEED) is 600. 600x6 is 3600. That is faster than the speed you knocked me down to (2970).

3600 ft/round=600 ft/s=409 mph=53% the speed of sound.

PS I have a question: What is the difference between taking an Action Surge move action versus taking an Action Surge Dash action?

Spectre9000
2016-03-08, 09:55 PM
Or your companion (now a 11 Wiz/3 Fight) casts Wind Walk on you, making your base fly speed 300. 300x2 (Haste says it doubles your SPEED) is 600. 600x6 is 3600. That is faster than the speed you knocked me down to (2970).

3600 ft/round=600 ft/s=409 mph=53% the speed of sound.

PS I have a question: What is the difference between taking an Action Surge move action versus taking an Action Surge Dash action?

The difference is you don't get a move from action surge. You only get one additional Action, which you may use for dash.

Ruslan
2016-03-08, 09:57 PM
Even so, this is still a pretty quick character. To the point that we should really start talking about the physics involvedWhy would you worry about physics? Most of his speed boosts are magical in nature, including an artifact. Physics is not on the table.

CantigThimble
2016-03-08, 09:58 PM

There is no such thing as a 'move action' in 5e. You have your movement and you have your action. If you take the dash action you get more movement.

Madauchip
2016-03-08, 10:01 PM
There is no such thing as a 'move action' in 5e. You have your movement and you have your action. If you take the dash action you get more movement.

Thanks for clearing that up! =D

PallentisLunam
2016-03-08, 10:21 PM
Why would you worry about physics? Most of his speed boosts are magical in nature, including an artifact. Physics is not on the table.

I think you missed the blue text :smalltongue:

JoeJ
2016-03-08, 10:32 PM
"Perfect speed is being there." Teleport, one action, no range limit. Teleporting to the other side of the world in one six second action works out to about 1300 miles per second.

Unfortunately, when I make that trip next week, I have to get there by commercial jet.

The other side of the world is nothing. Teleport to the other side of the crystal sphere. (In AD&D you couldn't teleport into or out of a crystal sphere. I'm assuming that same limit applies in 5e.) In Realmspace, that's 6,400,000,000 miles. Crossing it in 1 round comes to approximately 1,066,666,667 miles per second, or over 5,700 times the speed of light. (Or at least the speed of light in our universe. What it is in D&D has never been established AFAIK.)

Douche
2016-03-09, 12:39 PM
Dammit, you teleporters. You're not contributing in any meaningful way.

Besides, you're just disassembling yourself atom by atom and then reassembling yourself at your destination. The real you is dead the instant you teleport. The one that arrived is just a copy of you.

Talamare
2016-03-09, 01:25 PM
-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash
4590' per round!!!

This is my first post and thanks for reading the whole thing! Please feel free to point out any mistakes I made!

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-august-2015

-Action=Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash

Sadly, I believe that means we are down to only 4 Dashes.

Final Hyena
2016-03-09, 01:30 PM
-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash

Read action surge very carefully I think it only gives you an extra action.

Laserlight
2016-03-09, 01:51 PM
Besides, you're just disassembling yourself atom by atom and then reassembling yourself at your destination. The real you is dead the instant you teleport. The one that arrived is just a copy of you.

When my co-workers call me "soul-less", they have some justification.

"Action Surge" is not ideally worded but definitely just gives you an action to add to your usual Action-and-Bonus. I think what they were trying to get across was that Action Surge does not cost your Bonus Action. As far as I know, there are no circumstances under which you get two Bonus actions.

CantigThimble
2016-03-09, 01:56 PM
When my co-workers call me "soul-less", they have some justification.

"Action Surge" is not ideally worded but definitely just gives you an action to add to your usual Action-and-Bonus. I think what they were trying to get across was that Action Surge does not cost your Bonus Action. As far as I know, there are no circumstances under which you get two Bonus actions.

The only thing that gives you two bonus actions in a round is Thief's Reflexes. And that's just because it gives you an entire extra turn at a different initiative.

Nicodiemus
2016-03-09, 02:16 PM
If you can get bladesong in there you'll get an extra 10' of movement to your base

Talamare
2016-03-09, 02:45 PM
You really don't even need most of the MCs to accomplish this

18 monk has Bonus Action Dash and 30 Additional Speed
Then just grab 2 Fighter for the Action Surge

That's honestly it... Literally everything else isn't the character

joaber
2016-03-09, 03:05 PM
if you could shapechange in a solar, he has a flying speed of 150ft.

But is possible to shapechange in planar that fly 120ft.

a moon druid can wild shape in giant eagle with fly of 80ft at lvl 8, or air elemental with 90ft at lvl 10.

joaber
2016-03-10, 08:35 PM
I was thinking in how make this usefull = grab and drag in spike growth

what I got:

druid 6
barbarian 5
fighter 2
bladesinger 2
monk 2
mystic 1

giant elk 60ft
mobile 10ft
bladesong 10ft
monk 10ft
barbarian 10ft
psionic focus celerity 5ft

artifact +10ft major property
boon of speed 30ft
transmuter's stone 10ft
longstrider 10ft

ajusted boots of speed - double speed

dash 330
action surge dash 330
move 330
haste 330 (party member)

total = 1320

Maneuvering Attack = 155ft

As a giant elk (huge), you can drag a medium creature without penalties, or a large, if someone cast enlarge in you.

that would do 590d4 of DPR dragging the enemy side a side of spike growth.

the cheesy part of a grappler elk wearing boots isn't my problem.

Belac93
2016-03-10, 11:45 PM
I was thinking in how make this usefull = grab and drag in spike growth

what I got:

druid 6
barbarian 5
fighter 2
bladesinger 2
monk 2
mystic 1

giant elk 60ft
mobile 10ft
bladesong 10ft
monk 10ft
barbarian 10ft
psionic focus celerity 5ft

artifact +10ft major property
boon of speed 30ft
transmuter's stone 10ft
longstrider 10ft

ajusted boots of speed - double speed

dash 330
action surge dash 330
move 330
haste 330 (party member)

total = 1320

Maneuvering Attack = 155ft

As a giant elk (huge), you can drag a medium creature without penalties, or a large, if someone cast enlarge in you.

that would do 590d4 of DPR dragging the enemy side a side of spike growth.

the cheesy part of a grappler elk wearing boots isn't my problem.

Add bonus action step of the wind dash to that, and your golden.

so 1650 in one turn.

Kane0
2016-03-11, 12:16 AM
I wish I had enough space at my table for 1000'+ movement

Biggstick
2016-03-11, 01:54 AM
Running as fast as you can is all well and good. Figuring out a way to get every possible benefit from every other possible class is great, but if I were to try and figure out the fastest I could move, I would want to be able to do it by myself without depending on someone else, as well as have a functional build. What I've come up with is a bit lower then these massive speeds above, but it is doable every single turn without burning any resources.

Wood Elf: +35'
Monk level 18: +30'
Mobile feat: +10'
Rogue level 2: Cunning action Dash

This nets you 75' of movement, with the ability to consistently get up to 225' of movement (or 150' without opportunity attacks if you decide to use your action to attack a couple targets). This is able to be done without any help from anyone else and expending 0 resources. You can run 225' every 6 seconds for as long as your DM will allow you to not get exhausted.

If you want to add something that'd be available to a level 20 character and still not burn any resources, here's where you'd be.

Boon of Speed: +30'
Major Property of an Artifact: +10'

This would place you at 115' of movement with the ability to consistently get up to 345' of movement (or 230' without opportunity attacks if you decide to use your action to attack a couple targets).

Again, this argument is based on the idea that I want to be able to sustain my speed without help from others, without using spell slots that I'd eventually run out of, or magic items that only increase my speed for a certain amount of time in a day.

joaber
2016-03-11, 12:30 PM
Add bonus action step of the wind dash to that, and your golden.

so 1650 in one turn.

unfortunately, you need to use bonus action to double speed with boots of speed.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-11, 06:05 PM
Excepting Teleportation (which I agree shouldn't count), I'm pretty sure a sufficiently high level Find Vehicle spell wins (assuming UA is allowed). Even ignoring shenanigans like calling in a Spelljammer or the Millenium Falcon or something, even a fifth level slot could summon, say, a Fairey Delta 2, which can hit over 1000mph.

Talamare
2016-03-11, 06:49 PM
unfortunately, you need to use bonus action to double speed with boots of speed.

Yea, but they last 10mins

joaber
2016-03-14, 11:35 AM
Yea, but they last 10mins

good catch. So, 722 d4 dragging in spike growth, lol.

johnlent
2017-04-20, 11:39 AM
Just an update so I don't lose it and have to rebuild it from scratch.

The Woosh (and his super friends)
Race: Tabaxi
Classes/Levels: 5 paladin, rogue 2, wizard 2, barbarian 5, fighter 4, monk 2
Feats: Athlete, Mobile, Magic Initiate (Druid)
Magic Items: Potion of Speed (x2), Boots of Speed, Eagle's Whistle (Yawning Portal)
Spells: Find Steed, Longstrider
Allies: Rob, the Level 3 Battlemaster Fighter with Maneuvering Strike. Booster, the Level 17 wizard (transmuter) with Transmuter's Stone, Shape Change and Magic Jar.

Alternate Features if Your DM Lets Them In: Hand and Eye of Vecna, Boon of Speed, Swift Step Draught (UA Artificer 1), Balm of the Summer Court (UA Druid of the Summer Court, Level 20 ally), Psionic Focus (UA Mystic). These are not counted here, but would dramatically impact your overall speed.

Setup:
The Woosh casts Find Steed.
Booster casts Magic Jar to possess your body, and then uses Shapechange (shared via Find Steed) steed converting your base to 120 Quickling and your mount to a base 120 flying ki rin.
Booster gives Woosh back his body, and hands Woosh his transmuter's stone
The Woosh casts Longstrider (from Magic Adept), sharing it with the steed.
Both the Woosh and the Steed drink potions of speed, and the Woosh activates his boots.
The Woosh rages.

The Woosh's speed is now:
Base 120
Elk Rage +15,
Fast Movement +10,
Unarmored Movement +10
Longstrider +10
Bladesinging+10
Mobile +10,
Boots of Speed (double)
Potion of Speed (double)
Tabaxi (double)
Eagle Whistle (double)
Total: 2960

Your steed has a speed of 260.

Last round, your mount readied his movement, so that at the start of this round, he moves 260.

When the mounts' turn comes, it moves another 260, dashes using Potion action (260), takes dash action (another 260). Then he falls prone for free. You immediately fall prone (becoming dismounted),

Your fighter ally then takes his turn and readies his action - the trigger is, "as soon as the Woosh starts to move".

Your turn finally arrives, so you use Feline agility and start to move. "You can do it!" Rob cries again as he uses his battlemaster maneuver to grant you another reaction to move half your speed [1475] (accounting for -5 standing up). Then you use your action to dash [2960] , you move [2960], cunning action dash 2960, free dash from potion [2960], action surge to dash again. [2960]

So you have moved a total distance in 6 seconds of: 260*4+1475+2960*5 =17,315

That is roughly 1967mph. Or Mach 2.6.

Going from 0 to 1967 generates roughly 30g's. So you have no problems with horizontal movement (we can go horizontally to about 46 on a rocket sled without doing permanent harm). Technically, you are flying, so dont go up or down, or that could produce serious g-force problems.

With UA and Epic-Artifact Features: Your starting speed goes to 295, and your mounts goes to 180, which after doubling results in 4920 and 360 respectively.

Ruslan
2017-04-20, 11:48 AM
Going from 0 to 1084 generates 8.2g's. So you have no problems with horizontal movement.Actually double that. Remember, 1084 mph is your average speed during those six seconds. Which means that, if starting from zero, your final speed must be 1084x2 = 2168 mph for the average to be 1084 mph.

So you'll be experiencing 16.4g for six seconds. This actually could kill, or at least cripple a person. But hey, it's D&D, and if we're willing to suspend disbelief for dragons, fireballs, elves, and Barbarians walking away after a 200' fall, what's 16.4g for a few seconds?

johnlent
2017-04-20, 11:57 AM
Actually double that. Remember, 1084 mph is your average speed during those six seconds. Which means that, if starting from zero, your final speed must be 1084x2 = 2168 mph for the average to be 1084 mph.

So you'll be experiencing 16.4g for six seconds. This actually could kill, or at least cripple a person. But hey, it's D&D, and if we're willing to suspend disbelief for dragons, fireballs, elves, and Barbarians walking away after a 200' fall, what's 16.4g for a few seconds?

Good catch, but remember horizontal acceleration vs. vertical are VERY different. Humans on a rocket sled can withstand up to 46.2 g's of force. No worries with this build.

Pichu
2017-04-20, 03:51 PM
Ah, I remember when I posted this thread. I was a noob back then and didn't fully understand the rules. But I returned, and (with some help) made a character that goes ~Mach 6.3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518582-And-The-Gold-Medal-Goes-To-(Movement-speed-optimization-question)). Have fun! (Link also in sig)

FilthyLucre
2017-04-20, 04:30 PM
Me and my friend were playing around with the PHB and DMG and we tried to make the fastest character possible. Here it is:

Race:
-Elf

Class:
-11 Monk
-5 Barbarian
-2 Rogue
-2 Fighter

Equipment-ish Things:
-Mobile Feat
-An artifact with the +10' major property
-Boon of Speed
-Boots of Speed
-Step of the wind
-Action Surge

Buffs from a 3 Fighter/6 Wizard (Battle Master/Transmutation):
-Longstrider
-Haste
-Maneuvering Strike
-Transmuter's Stone
-Expeditious Retreat

Math:
35 (Elf)
30 (Boon)
20 (Monk)
10 (Barbarian)
10 (Mobile)
10 (Transmuter's Stone)
10 (Artifact)
10 (Longstrider)
135' per round
x2 (Haste)
x2 (Boots of Speed)
540' per round

-Action
-Dash
-Bonus Action=Dash
-Action Surge=Dash
-Haste=Dash
-Cunning Action=Dash
4590' per round!!!

Action Surge does not give you an additional bonus action.

Pichu
2017-04-20, 04:52 PM
Action Surge does not give you an additional bonus action.

This is a thread from over a year ago, from when I was a noob, and it just got necroed. I understand this now, as billions of other have told me that exact same thing on the first page.

johnlent
2017-04-21, 12:38 PM
This is a thread from over a year ago, from when I was a noob, and it just got necroed. I understand this now, as billions of other have told me that exact same thing on the first page.

C'mon Urchin doesnt count. Its explicitly for not in combat overland movement, therefore one round buffs etc. do not apply. But... urchin+windwalk....

johnlent
2017-04-21, 12:45 PM
Also mighty leap and wind step adds nothing (its PART of your movement, not in addition to). Just like normal jumping. And your "no published artifacts or magic items actually do this, but theoretically they could" movement bonuses seem like b.s.