PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Twinned Spell and GFB/BB

Spectre9000
2016-03-08, 08:32 PM
Saw a post that got me to thinking, and I was curious how everyone reads the interaction between Sorcerer's Twinned Spell Metamagic and Green-Flame Blade/Booming Blade.

Can you twin them, and do they then essentially grant you a second attack, or do you need a second weapon, or how exactly do you see it twinning them?

CaptAl
2016-03-08, 08:41 PM
Twinned doesn't feel right to me. Quickened sure. Hell, twin a lightning lure then quicken a GFB works for me. I can't see any reason to disallow twinning them, but it feels munchkinny to me.

Spectre9000
2016-03-08, 08:43 PM
Twinned doesn't feel right to me. Quickened sure. Hell, twin a lightning lure then quicken a GFB works for me. I can't see any reason to disallow twinning them, but it feels munchkinny to me.

Maybe if you didn't have such a limited number of Sorc Points. You spend 3 a turn for a twinned GFB/BB and then a quickened GFB/BB.

Gtdead
2016-03-08, 08:46 PM
RAW you can't twin GFB, cause it is capable of hitting a different target. It was introduced as a "fix" to people twinning eldrich blasts and scorching rays.

Spectre9000
2016-03-08, 08:51 PM
RAW you can't twin GFB, cause it is capable of hitting a different target. It was introduced as a "fix" to people twinning eldrich blasts and scorching rays.

Actually, that's RAI, not RAW. It has one main target, with a rider effect. If you can't twin it, you can't twin Fireballs or anything with an AoE or any other way of affecting another target. That's another example of me not agreeing with Crawford.

Either way, let's just assume we're talking about BB.

Gtdead
2016-03-08, 09:05 PM
Actually, that's RAI, not RAW. It has one main target, with a rider effect. If you can't twin it, you can't twin Fireballs or anything with an AoE or any other way of affecting another target. That's another example of me not agreeing with Crawford.

I actually was wrong on the wording.
"To be eligible for Twinned Spell, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level."

Basically twin spell's original wording is so problematic that makes someone wonder if it applies to the fireball anyway.

"When you cast a spell that targets only one creature and
doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of
sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second
creature in range with the same spell"

Fireball doesn't even target a creature. It targets a "point".

This "fix" is crap anyway. There are more powerful things in a game than twinning an eldrich blast.

As for how I'm picture these spells to work twinned, there are a few options. One is a spectral hand that mimics your moves (which can work in ranged spells as well), another is to treat the attack as a spell touch attack that requires you to touch the enemy with the weapon, not to actually perform a traditional attack.

TheRedTemplar
2016-03-08, 09:43 PM
I agree with Crawford's ruling that you can't twin GFB (and so does my DM, and everyone else I know tbh) but you can twin Booming Blade since it only targets one creature. I actually Twin BB a lot. How my DM rules it is that I make one attack roll, and then roll damage for each one individually, with the move being portrayed as a wide-arching slash not unlike many action movies. Of course, they have to be close to each other, but I generally use it when I would make attacks at different enemies. It's a very useful move to have.