View Full Version : Optimization Healed into a Corner

PeteNutButter
2016-03-08, 09:58 PM
I hopped into a game at lvl 2 this week. I was aiming to be the group's healer, so went bard 1/cleric 1 (life) with the obvious intent to go lore bard 6/cleric 1 heal with aura of vitality.

After the first game, two things became immediately relevant, changing my plans. First the game will probably end at lvl 5, since the group wants to move onto Castle Strahd. Second the party is inexperienced and squishy, meaning I may have to tank more than I thought.

Current stats: 10, 16, 12, 9, 13, 16 Halfling Lightfoot, using medium armor + shield and rapier at the moment

So my question for the group, where do I go from here? My idea of going lore bard to 6, is shot, so I might consider more multiclassing. Second level bard spells won't really help much with healing, and I already won't even be able to get 3rd lvl spells. 2 more lvls of cleric could give me prayer of healing for more out of combat healing, but it's better usually just to short rest if you can do prayer of healing.

I could MC into a 3rd class, (and blow my shot at ever getting an ASI/feat). Sorcerer for instance could give me shield spell, and an AC equal to breastplate, armor-free. 2 lvls of warlock would be the most offensive choice, using Eldritch blast to make up for my already multiclassed build. I suppose I could even go into druid for... reasons?

Those are just the spell casting options, in order to try and maximise my slots so I can heal still. Whatcha think?

CaptAl
2016-03-08, 10:06 PM
Druid for good berry cheese could work. 4 HP/berry is great out of combat. Especially at low levels.

A level of Fighter for defense style and 2nd wind could be a life saver. It's tough to throw heals if you're dead.

I'd beg the DM to allow me to dump the Bard level and replace it with one of the above, or just straight cleric. I wouldn't worry too much about damage unless the party is just wicked bad at killing things as well as being squishy.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-08, 10:12 PM
Goodberry cheese is strong, likely best out of combat option. I could go 2 into druid and go moon. It'd make me a decent hp soak tank.

Kane0
2016-03-09, 12:54 AM
Or keep going cleric for spiritual weapon while you tank.

CaptAl
2016-03-09, 12:57 AM
Sink the remaining 3 levels into Druid, go Moon, and you'll be a decent HP sponge, and have full caster slots, and have a slot to burn on barkskin since your AC will be awful. Your concentration checks will be pretty bad, though. May not be worth dropping the spell slot on barkskin. The biggest down side is you'll not really be able to emergency heal in combat while shifted. Hope someone in the group can reliably make a medicine check, or carries a healing kit.

Mors
2016-03-09, 10:43 AM
Moon druid is viable for tanking, but it is not until the second lvl that you can tank with wild shape and you already have a massive delay.

I would actually prefer going straight paladin from now on, if being in the thick of battle is what you are looking for.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-09, 10:56 AM
Moon druid is viable for tanking, but it is not until the second lvl that you can tank with wild shape and you already have a massive delay.

I would actually prefer going straight paladin from now on, if being in the thick of battle is what you are looking for.

I don't see the strength of paladin. As the only healer I can't afford to burn slots to smite. Lay on hands is ok, but one casting of good berry is 40 hps. Since I'm already a life cleric goodberry spikes in power making Druid one pretty amazing. Moon Druid for damage sponge is nice, but I could even go a different route. Odd thing is once you have such a low lvl cap, you really can't gimp your character too hard after the first MC.

Oramac
2016-03-09, 11:01 AM
First the game will probably end at lvl 5

Honestly, if it's ending at 5 and you're going to tank a lot, I'd just go straight Cleric and take any Domain that gives Heavy Armor. Personally, I'm partial to Tempest, but anything with heavy armor works.

Mors
2016-03-09, 12:20 PM
So you want druid for faster access to goodberry? Well it is a fine thought then. One lvl on druid and the rest on bard seems stronger to me overall since you already have a lvl in bard, but if you need to be the first in line I guess the access to wild shape is valuable. Land druid is probably stronger overall for a back-line healer / support though. Given that you will never go past CR2 forms with druid, a two lvl dip in moon druid and the rest in bard could work. Cutting words is the unique feature of lore bard though, you will lose it if you do not go straight bard and it is pretty strong (edit: if it ends lvl 5 and not 6, you will not take anyway so the last point is a moot one)(edit2: thought cutting words are a lvl 5 bard feature, since it is lvl 3 though, consider carefully of you want to lose it).