PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Beastmaster Build - Is this legal?

Isk
2016-03-08, 10:00 PM
I was talking with my group about the different classes in D&D 5.0, and they mentioned that the beastmaster ranger class is unpopular. It got me thinking of a great build but I'm not sure it's legal, I want to make sure it is before trying it out.

I want to try a halfling beastmaster ranger, and use my giant wasp pet as a mount. I can use my pet as a mount correct because I'd be small and my pet medium? So by level 7 I could use a lance, move to 10' away and attack twice, then command my pet to dash and fly away and repeat this every turn?

Stabfist
2016-03-08, 10:16 PM
Beast Companions are restricted to CR 1/4 and lower. the Giant Wasp is CR 1/2. However the Pteranodon is a CR 1/4 medium flying beast, your DM may call shenanigans but its the way to get a flying mount.

RulesJD
2016-03-08, 10:43 PM
I was talking with my group about the different classes in D&D 5.0, and they mentioned that the beastmaster ranger class is unpopular. It got me thinking of a great build but I'm not sure it's legal, I want to make sure it is before trying it out.

I want to try a halfling beastmaster ranger, and use my giant wasp pet as a mount. I can use my pet as a mount correct because I'd be small and my pet medium? So by level 7 I could use a lance, move to 10' away and attack twice, then command my pet to dash and fly away and repeat this every turn?

The invisible Halfling Warlock Pact of the Chain trick works much better.

Beastmaster is one of the worst pet classes in the game, sadly.

Talamare
2016-03-09, 06:23 AM
Stirge Pets are good if you don't want to keep attacking with your pet

Once they attack once, they latch on and keep dealing auto damage

Final Hyena
2016-03-09, 07:24 AM
I re-looked at it recently and with the right beast (giant poisonous snake) and if your DM allows you to give your beast reaction attack of opportunities I think it can be reasonably competitive. Honestly I think I would prefer beast master, but I would have to examine it past the early levels to gain a more comprehensive understanding of it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-09, 09:43 AM
As I understand it, the trick is that mount rules (your mount can dash, dodge, or disengage) without using the rider's action- with the argument that this overrides the Beastmaster's rules because otherwise you're worse at riding your companion than a random horse. And then, when you can, use Awaken to turn it into an intelligent, independent mount that has its own initiative. (All this based on this thread- http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?376418-Breaking-BM)

But that mobility on an archer should be great right off the bat, especially with a flying mount.

Talamare
2016-03-09, 03:03 PM
As I understand it, the trick is that mount rules (your mount can dash, dodge, or disengage) without using the rider's action- with the argument that this overrides the Beastmaster's rules because otherwise you're worse at riding your companion than a random horse. And then, when you can, use Awaken to turn it into an intelligent, independent mount that has its own initiative. (All this based on this thread- http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?376418-Breaking-BM)

But that mobility on an archer should be great right off the bat, especially with a flying mount.

Plot Twist, You use Awaken and the Beast decides to become Buddhist, and refuses to go into battles.

Kevingway
2016-03-09, 03:15 PM

Since you're not "controlling" your mount but rather "commanding" it, I argue that you don't even have to awaken your beast for it to become independent as a mount. After all, the rules only state that intelligent mounts "always act independently," but it doesn't remove the option for other mounts to do so assuming the rider is ok with it doing whatever the hell it wants. The real plot twist is that since the pet always wants to follow your commands, you aren't really reining it in or spurring it or anything to get it to move or act. You just tell it to and it understands.

Talamare
2016-03-09, 03:24 PM
Since you're not "controlling" your mount but rather "commanding" it, I argue that you don't even have to awaken your beast for it to become independent as a mount. After all, the rules only state that intelligent mounts "always act independently," but it doesn't remove the option for other mounts to do so assuming the rider is ok with it doing whatever the hell it wants. The real plot twist is that since the pet always wants to follow your commands, you aren't really reining it in or spurring it or anything to get it to move or act. You just tell it to and it understands.

Find Steed gives you a mount in which
not only is it intelligent
not only does it telepathically speak with you
not only does it have perfect synergy with you while mounted
some how was ruled (sage adviced) that it wasn't independent

Sigreid
2016-03-09, 03:29 PM
I re-looked at it recently and with the right beast (giant poisonous snake) and if your DM allows you to give your beast reaction attack of opportunities I think it can be reasonably competitive. Honestly I think I would prefer beast master, but I would have to examine it past the early levels to gain a more comprehensive understanding of it.

IMO the weakness of BM really kicks in when you start facing opponents immune to non-magic damage.

RulesJD
2016-03-09, 04:33 PM
Find Steed gives you a mount in which
not only is it intelligent
not only does it telepathically speak with you
not only does it have perfect synergy with you while mounted
some how was ruled (sage adviced) that it wasn't independent

It's actually worse.

It's only not indepednent when you're mounted on it.

When you're not mounted, it is fully independent. And intelligent/telepathic, etc. Which means the mechanically best use of Find Steed is to be mounted before combat, cast your buff spell so it applies to you and the Steed, and then dismount it. It then gets to operate "independently" but obeys whatever you tell it to do, include full attacks, etc.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-09, 05:25 PM
It's actually worse.

It's only not indepednent when you're mounted on it.

When you're not mounted, it is fully independent. And intelligent/telepathic, etc. Which means the mechanically best use of Find Steed is to be mounted before combat, cast your buff spell so it applies to you and the Steed, and then dismount it. It then gets to operate "independently" but obeys whatever you tell it to do, include full attacks, etc.
I think 3.5 was the last edition where you could get a companion who was actually worth it. They really don't seem to like animal companions or mounts these days.

Final Hyena
2016-03-10, 04:37 AM
IMO the weakness of BM really kicks in when you start facing opponents immune to non-magic damage.

Wow, can't believe that never hit me before, that should be a bonus along with the other feature at level 7.

Wolfsraine
2016-03-11, 08:17 PM
The invisible Halfling Warlock Pact of the Chain trick works much better.

Beastmaster is one of the worst pet classes in the game, sadly.

What trick? Can someone elaborate.

pwykersotz
2016-03-11, 08:30 PM
I think 3.5 was the last edition where you could get a companion who was actually worth it. They really don't seem to like animal companions or mounts these days.

Yeah, but I can respect that it's super tough to balance. 3.5 had numerous complaints of the beast overshadowing melee.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 08:34 PM
What trick? Can someone elaborate.

I believe it's the one where Halflings and Gnomes are light enough that the Imp (with Strength 6) can lift him up. Turning invisible makes what one carries invisible as well, so the halfling becomes invisible and flying by virtue of the familiar.

Lines
2016-03-11, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but I can respect that it's super tough to balance. 3.5 had numerous complaints of the beast overshadowing melee.

It's not tough to balance at all. The beast overshadowed melee because melee characters were basically balls of boring, underwhelming stats.

Coyote81
2016-03-11, 09:19 PM
You might as well take you mounted halfing to the next level and duel wield lances. Basically become a flying dart. Mounted combatant feat is amazing with this.