PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good spells to prepare for a wizard

VegBru
2016-03-09, 05:21 AM
So, I would like to present my thougts on learning and choosing spells. I hope that I can get some feedback from all y’all so that I can learn from it. This is not a guide, and I am not presuming that I am a great wizard.

I am a 6th level deep gnome divination wizard. I have INT20 (16, +2 racial, +2 ASI), and AC13 with a DEX16. I play this character in a party of 6 (Vengeance Pally, Shadow Monk, Valour Bard, EK, Hunter Ranger). We are playing Elemental Evil.

I try to play a “God Wizard” as per Treantmonks definition. That is to say I try to use my spells in order to give my party members an edge against the enemies, making it easier for them to lay down the hurt – or harder for our enemies to do the same. That is also pretty much the role of our Bard. I don’t expect everything I do to win the fight. Often, I am fairly happy to make someone waist an action on figuring out my Minor Illusion.

When learning and preparing spells I find it important to consider what spell I would like to concentrate on, as well as what to use my bonus action, reaction and action for.

Here is a normal “prepared list” for me. For me, getting around the concentration-issue is a problem. Good non-concentration options are appreciated. Naturally I adjust the list to on any given day if I know what problems we might face.

Cantrips
Mage hand – opening and moving stuff I would like to stay away from.
Message – communicating with party members, mostly.
Minor Illusion – my go-to spell for giving friends that little edge without using spell slots.
Firebolt – for dealing damage, obviously.

1st level
Mage Armour – stay stay stay stay staying alive!
Shield – se above. Both this and Mage armour are good for not getting hit – my favourite tactic for maintaining concentration. Reaction.
Grease – a nice little spell for messing up someone’s day. Not concentration, and that is the real selling point.

2nd level
Misty Step – teleport for getting from a bad spot to a good spot. Bonus action.
Hold Person – paralyzed is a terrible condition to be in. This is a good spell to use Portent with. A round of critting for the damage dealers makes for a bad day for Mr. (or mrs.) BBEG. Concentration.
Pyrotechnics – blindness and fog of cloud, all in one spell! I like. I find the smoke to be particularly nice if you want to mess up enemy casters and archers. The smoke persist for a minute without concentration. Make them come to us – or rather, to the angry fella in heavy armour wielding a big, bad glaive.
Flaming Sphere – not much damage, but a good way encourage the enemy to move from a place you don’t want him to be. A good combo with Pyrotechnics. Concentration, bonus action to move.
Invisibility – scouting, advantaging (is that a word?), hiding… Concentration.
Web – targets dex. Restrained is a pretty good condition, and on a failed save it takes an action to get out. Concentration.

3rd level
Hypnotic pattern – this is my favourite spell for this level. Having people doing nothing for a minute is great. To end the condition, someone has to use an action – witch is also great.
Fireball – because making stuff dead is, after all, the best debuff.

TL:DR: What spells would you pick for a level 6 divination wizard?

Felvion
2016-03-09, 06:06 AM
Well, Treatmonk has made a 5th edition guide so you can always go there and check.
I think you are missing some good 1st level spells. First are the rituals. In 5th you don't get as much slots as in 3.5, especially early on so having some rituals on your book combined with ritual casting feature gives you a lot of utility. Detect magic, Find familiar, Comprehend languages and perhaps Identify, depending on how your dm deals with magic stuff.
Sleep has no save and you may even cast it at higher slot if needed. Fog cloud is excellent battlefield control. Absord elements (from elemental evil companion) is also useful for the staying alive song.
I'm afraid picking higher level slots comes down to your personal needs and likes. You get only 4 of each spell level above 1st so there you have to make hard choices.
Some of my favorites are:
Lvl2: Detect thoughts,Blindness/deafness, (the rest are already on your list)
Lvl3: Counterspell, Haste, Fear. Clairvoyance could be more useful in diviners compared to other traditions.
In general, if you don't start at level 1-2 (meaning you depend less on the "good" lvl 1 spells), I suggest you pick a lot of rituals. Apart from the already mentioned ones, i personally like Unseen servant as well.

djreynolds
2016-03-09, 06:08 AM
So, I would like to present my thougts on learning and choosing spells. I hope that I can get some feedback from all y’all so that I can learn from it. This is not a guide, and I am not presuming that I am a great wizard.

I am a 6th level deep gnome divination wizard. I have INT20 (16, +2 racial, +2 ASI), and AC13 with a DEX16. I play this character in a party of 6 (Vengeance Pally, Shadow Monk, Valour Bard, EK, Hunter Ranger). We are playing Elemental Evil.

I try to play a “God Wizard” as per Treantmonks definition. That is to say I try to use my spells in order to give my party members an edge against the enemies, making it easier for them to lay down the hurt – or harder for our enemies to do the same. That is also pretty much the role of our Bard. I don’t expect everything I do to win the fight. Often, I am fairly happy to make someone waist an action on figuring out my Minor Illusion.

When learning and preparing spells I find it important to consider what spell I would like to concentrate on, as well as what to use my bonus action, reaction and action for.

Here is a normal “prepared list” for me. For me, getting around the concentration-issue is a problem. Good non-concentration options are appreciated. Naturally I adjust the list to on any given day if I know what problems we might face.

Cantrips
Mage hand – opening and moving stuff I would like to stay away from.
Message – communicating with party members, mostly.
Minor Illusion – my go-to spell for giving friends that little edge without using spell slots.
Firebolt – for dealing damage, obviously.

1st level
Mage Armour – stay stay stay stay staying alive!
Shield – se above. Both this and Mage armour are good for not getting hit – my favourite tactic for maintaining concentration. Reaction.
Grease – a nice little spell for messing up someone’s day. Not concentration, and that is the real selling point.

2nd level
Misty Step – teleport for getting from a bad spot to a good spot. Bonus action.
Hold Person – paralyzed is a terrible condition to be in. This is a good spell to use Portent with. A round of critting for the damage dealers makes for a bad day for Mr. (or mrs.) BBEG. Concentration.
Pyrotechnics – blindness and fog of cloud, all in one spell! I like. I find the smoke to be particularly nice if you want to mess up enemy casters and archers. The smoke persist for a minute without concentration. Make them come to us – or rather, to the angry fella in heavy armour wielding a big, bad glaive.
Flaming Sphere – not much damage, but a good way encourage the enemy to move from a place you don’t want him to be. A good combo with Pyrotechnics. Concentration, bonus action to move.
Invisibility – scouting, advantaging (is that a word?), hiding… Concentration.
Web – targets dex. Restrained is a pretty good condition, and on a failed save it takes an action to get out. Concentration.

3rd level
Hypnotic pattern – this is my favourite spell for this level. Having people doing nothing for a minute is great. To end the condition, someone has to use an action – witch is also great.
Fireball – because making stuff dead is, after all, the best debuff.

TL:DR: What spells would you pick for a level 6 divination wizard?

Shocking Grasp- good for melee, loses reaction
Protection from Evil- undead and demons, disadvantage to hit or your buddy, freedom from charm
Feather Fall- you suck at climbing
Mirror Image- harder to hit, no concentration
Blur- could take the dodge action, but you'd rather cast a spell
Gaseous form- get out of dodge
Fly- a lot
Haste- for your tank or rogue
Fire Shield- no concentration
Blight-8d8 necrotic damage

VegBru
2016-03-09, 06:28 AM
Well, Treatmonk has made a 5th edition guide so you can always go there and check.
I think you are missing some good 1st level spells. First are the rituals. In 5th you don't get as much slots as in 3.5, especially early on so having some rituals on your book combined with ritual casting feature gives you a lot of utility. Detect magic, Find familiar, Comprehend languages and perhaps Identify, depending on how your dm deals with magic stuff.

Agreed on the rituals. However, this was meant to be my prepared list. Do you recommend preparing the ritual spells? I mostly try to avoid that.

Sleep has no save and you may even cast it at higher slot if needed. Fog cloud is excellent battlefield control. Absord elements (from elemental evil companion) is also useful for the staying alive song.

I found sleep to be great on lower levels, but it's less effective at 6th. Fog cloud is a great spell, but I mostly get by with Pyrotechnics. And I agree on Absorb Elements.

I'm afraid picking higher level slots comes down to your personal needs and likes. You get only 4 of each spell level above 1st so there you have to make hard choices.
Some of my favorites are:
Lvl2: Detect thoughts,Blindness/deafness, (the rest are already on your list)
Lvl3: Counterspell, Haste, Fear. Clairvoyance could be more useful in diviners compared to other traditions.
In general, if you don't start at level 1-2 (meaning you depend less on the "good" lvl 1 spells), I suggest you pick a lot of rituals. Apart from the already mentioned ones, i personally like Unseen servant as well.

Thanks for your input. All of your suggestions are good, but I think Pyrotechnics does the job of both Blindness/Deafness and Fog Cloud.

Now, if you were to make a prepared list for 6th level (11 spells + cantrips), what would it look like?

VegBru
2016-03-09, 06:42 AM
Shocking Grasp- good for melee, loses reaction
Yes, but is the damage good enough to risk a save, or is Disengage a better option? I am really, really not into melee!

Protection from Evil- undead and demons, disadvantage to hit or your buddy, freedom from charm
Feather Fall- you suck at climbing
Mirror Image- harder to hit, no concentration
Blur- could take the dodge action, but you'd rather cast a spell
Gaseous form- get out of dodge
Fly- a lot
Haste- for your tank or rogue
I like some of these spells - Mirror Image, Haste and Fly in particular. The thing I am struggling with is not really to pick good spells: it is to pick the spells that gives good synergy and good action economy. As an example, what should I rather concentrate on? And that is probably not Blur, even if it is a good spell.

Fire Shield- no concentration
Blight-8d8 necrotic damage
Yes, but not at lvl 6 :smallsmile:

So, same question to you: What would your list of prepared spells (11+cantrips) at lvl 6 look like?

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-09, 07:15 AM
Yes, but is the damage good enough to risk a save, or is Disengage a better option? I am really, really not into melee!

There is no clean cut answer to this. The best thing to do is have the spell prepared and disengage or use Shocking Grasp based on how confident you are that you can hit. It should be noted that depriving them of reaction is slightly better than disengaging is, because in some circumstances it means you can help a low-hp friend bail out of melee range without them having to disengage either.

djreynolds
2016-03-09, 07:19 AM

I like some of these spells - Mirror Image, Haste and Fly in particular. The thing I am struggling with is not really to pick good spells: it is to pick the spells that gives good synergy and good action economy. As an example, what should I rather concentrate on? And that is probably not Blur, even if it is a good spell.

Yes, but not at lvl 6 :smallsmile:

So, same question to you: What would your list of prepared spells (11+cantrips) at lvl 6 look like?

At lower levels when we did the Underdark, with no radiant damage source I got forced to share elbow room with barbarian. Mirror image and blur were a nice combo, but mirror image and protection from evil was great vs demons and undead, granted I was dwarf abjurer with 15 AC. But I could hang and take heat of the tank. And the cleric and ranger were doing the killing.

Haste is nice if you are in the back and can throw on your tank or your archer. Mirror image is pulled out to tank with, ok not tank, provide the bad guys with an additional target. Sounds better target practice. So haste up that ranger, his bow should be rocking right now in terms of damage output

Hypnotic pattern is great vs the demon/devil/undead ilk.
Protection from evil, I use on the tanks as well, as I figure I will make my wisdom saves, but its good if you have to melee.

I group my spells into attack, utility, back row defense, melee defense.

I cannot stress feather fall enough, too good not to have prepared, I fail climbing checks all the time.
Gaseous form is awesome, break the glass, sorry guys and couples with send message
Fly is great for combat and exploration
Sleep is good
Counterspell is worth having.

Shocking grasp is just to have as a back up. They lose their reaction for that turn, so you can freely walk away as can your buddies. Not for damage really.

So in the back, have haste as your concentration for your archer or tank. Or protection from evil on the tank, do not need the EK under charm, don't want to be on the receiving end of action surge. Fire bolt will carry you through.

Up front, mirror image coupled with blur or protection from evil. And spam shocking grasp so the monk doesn't have to waste KI points disengaging, as you took away the bad guy's reaction.

Next level at 6th, grab counterspell for 3rd level, see if you can buy mirror image, blur, protection from evil, and get fly. Gaseous form is nice, but fly can really expand stuff.

VegBru
2016-03-09, 07:46 AM
There is no clean cut answer to this. The best thing to do is have the spell prepared and disengage or use Shocking Grasp based on how confident you are that you can hit. It should be noted that depriving them of reaction is slightly better than disengaging is, because in some circumstances it means you can help a low-hp friend bail out of melee range without them having to disengage either.

Yea, I have not really considered the benefits for others with removing reactions. I guess that it's a good thing if the situation comes up. Also, I can always Misty Step out of Dodge if he makes the save. Thanks for your input.

VegBru
2016-03-09, 08:04 AM
At lower levels when we did the Underdark, (snipped some)
Hypnotic pattern is great vs the demon/devil/undead ilk.
Protection from evil, I use on the tanks as well, as I figure I will make my wisdom saves, but its good if you have to melee.

I guess our campaign is a bit different with regards to what monsters you are most likely to face. We have seen a few elements, and a few undead, but not enough that PFE is a spell I have learned.

I cannot stress feather fall enough, too good not to have prepared, I fail climbing checks all the time.

Well there you go, I don't think I have climbed at all :smallsmile:

Gaseous form is awesome, break the glass, sorry guys and couples with send message
Fly is great for combat and exploration
Sleep is good
Counterspell is worth having.

How do you find that Sleep works at mid levels? I think it scales poorly, and I don't use it at all anymore. Brilliant at lvl 1, though!

So in the back, have haste as your concentration for your archer or tank. Or protection from evil on the tank, do not need the EK under charm, don't want to be on the receiving end of action surge. Fire bolt will carry you through.

Up front, mirror image coupled with blur or protection from evil. And spam shocking grasp so the monk doesn't have to waste KI points disengaging, as you took away the bad guy's reaction.

Next level at 6th, grab counterspell for 3rd level, see if you can buy mirror image, blur, protection from evil, and get fly. Gaseous form is nice, but fly can really expand stuff.

Good stuff, this is what I'm looking for. Haste looks like a good option, as long as I can keep up concentration. I am not really sure if it is better than Hypnotic Pattern... The Monk got himself Mobile for 4th level feat, so he is good on the disengage. I have Mirror Image and Gaseous Form. I think I will look into Fly, Counterspell or Haste for my next pick.

INDYSTAR188
2016-03-09, 08:46 AM
Agreed on the rituals. However, this was meant to be my prepared list. Do you recommend preparing the ritual spells? I mostly try to avoid that.

I found sleep to be great on lower levels, but it's less effective at 6th. Fog cloud is a great spell, but I mostly get by with Pyrotechnics. And I agree on Absorb Elements.

Thanks for your input. All of your suggestions are good, but I think Pyrotechnics does the job of both Blindness/Deafness and Fog Cloud.

Now, if you were to make a prepared list for 6th level (11 spells + cantrips), what would it look like?

I believe pyrotechnics requires you to "choose an area of flame you can see", which seems rather limiting and situational while fog cloud and Blindness/Deafness do not require any additional environmental interaction.

cZak
2016-03-09, 09:02 AM
Re Sleep falling off on effectiveness at higher levels.

Might just be my group of players, but there always seems a warlock throwing Arms of Hadar(?) out...
Anything that does AoE damage, or even your beat sticks distributing their damage vice concentrating on a single threat, improves the effect of Sleep.
Of course this works best vs 3+ enemies & not so much vs a single BBEG

VegBru
2016-03-09, 09:57 AM
I believe pyrotechnics requires you to "choose an area of flame you can see", which seems rather limiting and situational while fog cloud and Blindness/Deafness do not require any additional environmental interaction.

Right you are. So I just carry a torch... For short, simple throws my DM lets me do that without an action. If not, I use Flaming Sphere. The next round I use Pyrotechnics. As a bonus action I can move the Flaming Sphere, either to get it to the point i would like to use Pyro, or to wherever it would be useful to have it.

djreynolds
2016-03-10, 03:07 AM
Right you are. So I just carry a torch... For short, simple throws my DM lets me do that without an action. If not, I use Flaming Sphere. The next round I use Pyrotechnics. As a bonus action I can move the Flaming Sphere, either to get it to the point i would like to use Pyro, or to wherever it would be useful to have it.

My friend you have a spell book, fill it up. We have a good group, we spring for plate armor and spell scrolls. Learn as many spells as possible. No reason not to have sleep. Just buy it. Every merchant should be shook down for spells, you are a wizard and filling that spell book is the key.

Every spell you listed is perfect, but search for more. Some spells lose value, yes. So don't prepare them, but have them. Feather fall is great, its a reaction. Later on, levitate. Now fly. Now teleport. Go to every store, merchant, house, bar, inn and look for spells to buy. That is your power, the spell book.

We have a pool of money and we understand that if we want to survive, that paladin needs plate armor and that wizard needs scrolls.

Later on, you may only have shield and PFEG prepared for 1st level spells. You may find that as awesome as fireball is, firebolt can get you buy, but gaseous form can get you places the rogue cannot. Fabricate is nice to have. Find every ritual spell.

Wizards become obsessed, enjoy!!!!

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-03-10, 03:58 AM

The advantage of Blind vs Fog Cloud or Pyrotechnics is that it's not AoE. This may sound like an odd thing to be an advantage, but it means you don't hide the monsters from your friends. The disadvantage is the Con save. If you're happy with Pyrotechnics, then you probably don't need it, but for some people it fits better.

And remember, Blindness doesn't use Concentration, which can be handy, though apparently neither does Pyrotechnics.

moveable feats
2016-03-10, 04:13 AM
I've found SLOW to be indispensable. It works on MOBS and it works even better on the BBEG. I always wish I had more 3rd level spell slots just so I could cast SLOW again. It ruins the bad guys' day. Never cast FIREBALL or HASTE when you could cast SLOW.

VegBru
2016-03-10, 07:29 AM
The advantage of Blind vs Fog Cloud or Pyrotechnics is that it's not AoE. This may sound like an odd thing to be an advantage, but it means you don't hide the monsters from your friends. The disadvantage is the Con save. If you're happy with Pyrotechnics, then you probably don't need it, but for some people it fits better.

And remember, Blindness doesn't use Concentration, which can be handy, though apparently neither does Pyrotechnics.

I've found SLOW to be indispensable. It works on MOBS and it works even better on the BBEG. I always wish I had more 3rd level spell slots just so I could cast SLOW again. It ruins the bad guys' day. Never cast FIREBALL or HASTE when you could cast SLOW.

The reason I believe Haste > Slow and Fog/ Pyro > Bind, is no save. Now, those spells will not always be better in any given situation, but that is at least something I take into consideration when I prepare my spells.

But guys, what would a typical prepared spell list look like to you at lvl 6? For instance, I would choose either Slow or Hypnotic Pattern, but not both. I think that is the most difficult choice for wizards - even is spell A may be better than spell B in itself, spell B may be a better choice because reasons.

HoodedHero007
2016-03-10, 08:15 AM
Fly, conditionally, of course

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-10, 09:14 PM

I'd recommend that you have a Divination spell for 3rd and 2nd level so that you can benefit from your 6th level class feature.

3rd level options: Clairvoyance, Tongues
2nd level options: Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, See Invisibility

Clairvoyance is great for scouting;
Tongues and Detect Thoughts are good for spying;
Locate Object is useful not just for objects, but indirectly for finding the owners of specific objects (as they are likely to be in the same location);
and of course See invisibility is a good counter for some powerful spells and dangerous enemies.

It's a waste being a diviner and not using the class features.

208 creatures to be precise. Assuming a simple flat surface affected and not a full sphere.

Most people are size medium, which would be something less than 64 in a 20 ft radius circle where each medium creature takes up a 5 foot space (as more than 50% of the square must be covered to be hit).

This of course is in an idealized setting where the opponents are for some reason packed in like sardines.

Despite this, it's exceedingly unlikely for there to be more than 15 opponents of any worth in any given fight given the DMG guidelines; Given that, it's far more likely that if there were that many opponents, any fighter or fighter-esque character could simply wade in.

VegBru
2016-03-11, 03:30 AM
I'd recommend that you have a Divination spell for 3rd and 2nd level so that you can benefit from your 6th level class feature.

3rd level options: Clairvoyance, Tongues
2nd level options: Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, See Invisibility

Clairvoyance is great for scouting;
Tongues and Detect Thoughts are good for spying;
Locate Object is useful not just for objects, but indirectly for finding the owners of specific objects (as they are likely to be in the same location);
and of course See invisibility is a good counter for some powerful spells and dangerous enemies.

It's a waste being a diviner and not using the class features.

That's a good point. I will look into that some more. Some of the spells are too situational to get on my "normally prepared"-list, but the cost of casting them are low... Looking forward to getting Arcane Eye!

Most people are size medium, which would be something less than 64 in a 20 ft radius circle where each medium creature takes up a 5 foot space (as more than 50% of the square must be covered to be hit).

This of course is in an idealized setting where the opponents are for some reason packed in like sardines.

Despite this, it's exceedingly unlikely for there to be more than 15 opponents of any worth in any given fight given the DMG guidelines; Given that, it's far more likely that if there were that many opponents, any fighter or fighter-esque character could simply wade in.

Wat?

djreynolds
2016-03-11, 04:05 AM
Have you bought any spells? The DM should roll or merchants have some for sale. Its the only way for you to experiment with spells. My spell book is really full. Share with other wizards a spell or two. Sometimes a warlock of the book will have ritual spells and you have some and you share. You have the gold to spend.

And good one on the divination spells, you need them. In time I find the only first level spell prepared is shield, maybe mage armor, that's it.

Otherwise, play a sorcerer. If you know the spells you like and can live with a smaller list, you'll like sorcerer. But the strength of the wizard is the spell book. I do not mean to be annoying, and I know you are looking, but every spell in available to you. Ask the DM about downtime, apprenticeships, and side missions.

You and the druid can travel, so he can see more animals for wildshape and you can discover spells. Extra xp, fun for the DM and your party.

VegBru
2016-03-11, 04:33 AM
Have you bought any spells? The DM should roll or merchants have some for sale. Its the only way for you to experiment with spells. My spell book is really full. Share with other wizards a spell or two. Sometimes a warlock of the book will have ritual spells and you have some and you share. You have the gold to spend.

And good one on the divination spells, you need them. In time I find the only first level spell prepared is shield, maybe mage armor, that's it.

Otherwise, play a sorcerer. If you know the spells you like and can live with a smaller list, you'll like sorcerer. But the strength of the wizard is the spell book. I do not mean to be annoying, and I know you are looking, but every spell in available to you. Ask the DM about downtime, apprenticeships, and side missions.

You and the druid can travel, so he can see more animals for wildshape and you can discover spells. Extra xp, fun for the DM and your party.

I guess I could have been more specific when I asked, but of course I learn any spells I can get my hands on. My DM is pretty lenient, so I know a lot of spells. But normally, the spells I get from other sources are somewhat behind my level, and they tend to be very random. I don't get to choose much - except the ones I learn as I level up.

The thing I would like most input on is making a good all-round prepared list.

moveable feats
2016-03-11, 04:57 AM
Add Tasha's Hideous Laughter (and Slow of course) to your original list and you're good to go. THL has flat out won some battles against creatures with poor wisdom saves but more often it has saved the party from death by giving us a few rounds to regroup. Plus the RP element is always fun. My divination wizard has become something of a stand-up comic given how many laughs he gets.

VegBru
2016-03-11, 05:13 AM
Add Tasha's Hideous Laughter (and Slow of course) to your original list and you're good to go. THL has flat out won some battles against creatures with poor wisdom saves but more often it has saved the party from death by giving us a few rounds to regroup. Plus the RP element is always fun. My divination wizard has become something of a stand-up comic given how many laughs he gets.

I usually prepare either THL or Hold Person. I do like the paralyzed from HP, but it's 2nd level and humanoid restriction so THL is probably the better spell.

Other people have recommended Slow as well, but I think that Hypnotic Pattern is a better spell. The targets gets only one save, is incapacitated and can't move. If someone is to wake them up, it's an action wasted. That has to be superior to Slow. What am I missing?

moveable feats
2016-03-11, 05:44 AM
Hypnotic Pattern is a great spell but some reasons I prefer Slow:
You decide who is affected rather than all creatures who see the pattern
Creatures can't be shaken/damaged out of slow (as you mentioned)
Many creatures can't be charmed, none (that I know of) are immune to slow

Something based on people rather than rules is that I've found DM's won't let their BBEG be hypnotized but they will allow it to be slowed.

HoodedHero007
2016-03-11, 08:34 AM
You could also persuade the DM to allow you to create as much energy as there is created in acid splash or poison spray, for example, if the amount of mass in one of those is about a kilogram, then you can create a pretty big explosion

Captbrannigan
2016-03-11, 09:19 AM
You could also persuade the DM to allow you to create as much energy as there is created in acid splash or poison spray, for example, if the amount of mass in one of those is about a kilogram, then you can create a pretty big explosion
+1. Necessary spell for all Wizards.

Wtf was he talking about?

To the OP, it's hard to come up with a full prepared list. It varies too much based on where you are and what you expect to do that day. That's the biggest strength of prepared casters, if they know what to expect they can tailor their spell list to crush the opposition.

If you want a steady list of spells that are generally useful, a Sorcerer's metamagic tricks can really pull some weight. I would recommend houseruling a sorcery point recovery mechanic for short breaks, as I find it insulting that a Wizard gets more spells per day assuming 2 short rests.

VegBru
2016-03-11, 10:23 AM
To the OP, it's hard to come up with a full prepared list. It varies too much based on where you are and what you expect to do that day. That's the biggest strength of prepared casters, if they know what to expect they can tailor their spell list to crush the opposition.

If you want a steady list of spells that are generally useful, a Sorcerer's metamagic tricks can really pull some weight. I would recommend houseruling a sorcery point recovery mechanic for short breaks, as I find it insulting that a Wizard gets more spells per day assuming 2 short rests.

When you put it that way, my initial question was pretty daft. I have played a Sorcerer, but found I would rather have the flexibility of prepared casting. I guess what I was looking for was for someone to put their prepared spell list out there as a basis for discussing pros and cons, not as a blueprint.

djreynolds
2016-03-16, 03:05 AM
IMO, as you gain in power, I only prepare as a wizard shield, PFGE at first, and mage armor if you need it.
2nd level just mirror image, and feather fall
3rd fireball, haste, counterspell, dispel magic, hypnotic pattern, fly

The rest is utility stuff I think I may need. I really cannot stress how big PFGE is. Our rogue and fighter fail all the time, I'm talking 1's and 3's. Seriously, all the time. After that its tough because of concentration, haste is so good to use on melee martials and archers. Counterspell will save your bacon, its a reaction.

It is party dependent, for me a good rogue can save you a lot of worrying. He can cover lots of stuff if he/she is well made.

The rest is guess work, fireball is nice as its an AoE. Misty is good, but I rarely needed it.

What can your party do that is skill based?

Extra

For me, what spell will allow me to rain death un-harassed. Mirror image, haste the tank or PFGE on him to keep him on your side, counterspell.

Have fun. Web has been very useful to me in the past, but it is concentration. Can pacify townfolk, or set on fire!
Chromatic orb is good but expensive. So have a good selection of cantrips available, firebolt, ray of frost, shocking grasp.

When in doubt, haste that archer. Web has also been useful for pacifying town folk.