PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with Contact Other Plane, Warlock Patron general

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-09, 06:47 AM
I'm playing my first Warlock in a 5th ed game, and am very excited to explore the Warlock/Patron relationship for roleplaying opportunities. I'm looking through the list of spells that Warlocks get access to, and I'm finding disappointingly little in way of Divination spells that follow through on the fluff's promise of gaining knowledge from one's Patron. That is, until 5th level spell slots become accessible and I gain Scrying and Contact Other Plane both on the same tier.

I'm very excited for Contact Other Plane in particular, but looking at its description more thoroughly, the DC 15 Intelligence save is clearly going to be a large deterrent. Obviously, making direct contact with a Patron is a pretty big deal so I wouldn't complain about a little risk, but with my int mod of +2 and warlocks not having Intelligence as a proficient save, I'm looking at about a projected 35% chance of getting the answers I want and a 65% chance of the sudden and violent onset of severe I-can't-even. This appears to be an oversight in my opinion, as it makes warlocks inherently really awful at what could be seen as their most strongly thematic spell.

Is there anything relatively accessible that gives me a bonus on intelligence saves, or even better, advantage on them that I can use to benefit from this spell more reliably? I'm considering asking my DM if he'll grant me some sort of bonus on the save if the entity I'm contacting is my patron, as that isn't a requirement of the spell's current version.

Outside of that, does anyone have stories or advice on how the Warlock/Patron relationship has played out in their game?

Felvion
2016-03-09, 07:17 AM
Is there anything relatively accessible that gives me a bonus on intelligence saves, or even better, advantage on them that I can use to benefit from this spell more reliably?

What's your pact/patron? Fiendlocks for example get a free 1/per short rest +d10 to any save they make.
The warlock himself doesn't have lots of tricks to help his saves but other classes do. Even if you don't happen to have a druid or cleric in your party you can pick pact of the tome. The 3 extra cantrips can include resistance which is debatably spammable till you get a +4.
Other than that, your party can help a lot. Except from the resistance cantrip there are many ways one can influence your saving throws like bardic inspiration and paladin's aura of protection. I'm pretty sure there are spells that can help too, especially in the bard's or the deviners' lists.

Inevitability
2016-03-09, 07:23 AM
It fits IMO. Wizards are probably knowledgeable about whatever they are trying to contact and should have a decent chance of making it, but a warlock's magic is much more instinctive. Not to mention that not all warlocks even know what exactly they are contacting.

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-09, 07:57 AM
What's your pact/patron? Fiendlocks for example get a free 1/per short rest +d10 to any save they make.
I am a Fiend Warlock and a little embarrassed that I completely overlooked that ability when considering this spell, good catch.

The 3 extra cantrips can include resistance which is debatably spammable till you get a +4.
I am also a Pact of the Tome warlock but am concerned that RAW this might not work. The duration is up to 1 minute, and the ritual takes longer than that. Still, there is a cleric in the party and I can probably get him to cast it on me.

With these changes, my bonus is now +2+1d10+1d4, an average of +10. This is still a little inconsistent, but honestly its better that way. I don't even really see the point of trying to phone up an archfiend if there isn't at least a *little* chance it'll make my mind explode.

mer.c
2016-03-09, 09:41 AM
What about the Lucky feat? It's basically as good advantage 3x per day (!) when you know ahead of time whether or not you made your save with the initial dice. And it's pretty thematically sound, and stacks wonderfully with Dark One's Own Luck, Guidance, and actual advantage

Maybe in terms of fluffing failed attempts, you could just say that the patron is a busy planar being that can't always be paying attention to any given Warlock's whims. It can contact you whenever it wants, but for you to direct-dial [i]it[i/], you run the risk of getting your mind lost/shattered for a while.