PDA

View Full Version : How did you first discover the OOTS?

Finn Solomon
2007-06-19, 09:01 AM
I thought it would be interesting to see the different ways people made their way towards the comic. Mine was fairly unusual, I was bored one day and decided to look up Thor, God of Thunder on Wikipedia. Scrolling down to "Depictions of Thor in popular culture", I came across an entry which described a certain webcomic portraying Thor as a beer-lovin', irreverent frat-boy patron God of one very straight-laced Dwarven cleric. One thing led to another, and I ended up reading the entire archive of the OOTS in a single night.

How did you discover OOTS? A friend told you? You googled the word stick? A struggling young webcomic designer personally told you to check out his website back in the day? Come on, share your story.

Mystyco
2007-06-19, 09:07 AM
got a result searching for "flash drawing" belive it or not :P

also, got it at strip # 160-180, can't remember really

sun_tzu
2007-06-19, 09:08 AM
Through Websnark (http://www.websnark.com/).

SteveMB
2007-06-19, 09:09 AM
I saw Rich's table at Balticon, and had enough left in my dealers' room budget to pick up a copy of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools.

Carteeg_Struve
2007-06-19, 09:21 AM
I first came across it in Dragon magazine. Then someone on the Dragonlance boards posted a link to OotS #50, so I took a peak and discovered the main storyline. Many hours later I was caught up from #1 to #320 (roughly). Since then I've been keeping up to date.

Reed
2007-06-19, 09:35 AM
I stumbled over a RPG site that had a picture of a self-made banjo puppet. A German site no less, if I remember correctly. To find out what this weirdness was about, I natually had to follow their link to the OOTS strip where Banjo makes his first appearance.
That was in late 2005/early 2006 and I started to read OOTS from the beginning almost immediately. It took me about a week or two to catch up and I've been following the story ever since. :smallsmile:
... can't seem to find that website again though. Pity.

MaxKaladin
2007-06-19, 09:36 AM
People in one of my gaming groups kept laughing over the line "Stop oppressing my culture you ethnocentric bitch!" and I decided to find out what the big deal was about. They'd told me about the comic before but I'd pretty much dismissed it when they told me it was stick figure art.

Kreistor
2007-06-19, 02:08 PM
Caught a link on the DnD forums about two years ago.

RTGoodman
2007-06-19, 02:09 PM
Somebody on the WotC message boards posted a link to one of the comics (can't remember which one), and from there, I spent the rest of that Saturday reading the entire comic from the beginning. Of course, I got to around number 400 (which was the most recent) and then had to wait from Saturday evening until Monday night late to get some new OotS action...

(Edit: And I'm finally not a Pixie anymore! Hurray!)

Fighteer
2007-06-19, 02:09 PM
I caught a link from one of the forums I read, but I cannot now remember exactly which one. I know I came on somewhere in the 300s and once I got over laughing like a maniac, I went back and read the whole thing from the start.

Pharazon
2007-06-19, 02:14 PM
I read 8-bit theatre, read Rich's guest comic (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040518) and went on from there to OotS around episode 70, with the stone Celia. Been a fan ever since though I don't tend to post in the forum very often.

Studoku
2007-06-19, 02:16 PM
There was a link on the Fable 2 dev sites. (http://www.lionhead.com/fable2/links.html) I clicked it.

divine
2007-06-19, 02:17 PM
I played an mmorpg called everquest for about six years ('99 - '05) and a friend of mine in game was a fan, he told me to check it out and I started reading before the hundredth comic was even written..
so yeah, I may not have the huge post count but I have the long-time fan-ship ;)

Wojiz
2007-06-19, 02:19 PM
I saw a poll one time, I can't remember where, and OOTS was at the top of the list. Having never heard of it before, I clicked the link, went to the first page and took an entire day reading entries 1-396.

TigerHunter
2007-06-19, 02:22 PM
Friend of mine gave me a link to #337 (the latest comic at the time) to make me quit whining about being bored.
Solved the boredom problem quite nicely. I read the whole story in one go, kept me up until 7 AM.

Froody
2007-06-19, 02:35 PM
@Wojiz: Could that be a poll on Bioware.com? Because that was how I found out about OOTS ^^

Sir_Norbert
2007-06-19, 02:37 PM
A good IRC friend of mine (Kimana on this forum) would occasionally link to strips that shed a humorous light on situations that arose in our D&D games. Then she linked to #282 (closing speeches at the trial), which was the newest one at the time, and I was hooked.

I joined the forums to discuss.... is it #327? The logic puzzle one on the way to the Oracle, anyway. I've been mad about logic puzzles ever since I was tiny :elan:

Morty
2007-06-19, 02:40 PM
I cliked a link in someone's signature on other forum.
It was preety important click, seeing that OOTS was what drove me into D&D.

Green Bean
2007-06-19, 02:44 PM
I first heard of it from Websnark, but I actually read through the whole thing when it was linked from the PvPOnline (www.pvponline.com) forums

Manga Shoggoth
2007-06-19, 02:51 PM
For some reason* I was researching D&D Alignments in Wikipedia, and under the section criticising the arbiratry nature of alignments came across a link to "Now If Only We Could Organize the Fiends Somehow". (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0207.html if I could get the link to work...)

What sold me on the strip itslf was Elan's closing comment: "Dragons: Color-coded for YOUR convenience".

After that I started at strip number one, and - slowly and painfully** - worked my way through the entire comic.

After that it was a case of getting the books (making a pest of myself in our local bookshop). All I need now is "Start of Darkness"...

* AKA "Bored at Work"

** I mean it - it's not good for you to laugh that much.

Cade Shadow
2007-06-19, 02:53 PM
I found it on this place, TV tropes, which talked about (you guessed it) TV tropes. and It talked about Miko on one of the pages (about her fall, actually) and me, being the intelligent, curious, always-looking-for-the-full-story person I am, looking for more information about the Order of the stick. So now, here I am. I'm also very modest.

comicadv
2007-06-19, 02:59 PM
My friend just told me about it, but I wouldn't have checked except he didn't have the internet so he came to my house and we had to look at it.

I was hooked from #1

I started around #305

PhallicWarrior
2007-06-19, 03:04 PM
I started reading Dragon magazine a while back, after having read about D&D from an ad in Game Informer (I read a lot of magazines.) and when Dragon started hosting OotS and my sisters started wondering about my sanity, what with all the laughing, I came here and read the whole continuity, 0-330 or so. After another hundred strips and a fair bit of the Battle of Azure City, I signed up and stopped lurking.

RobbyPants
2007-06-19, 03:04 PM
How did you discover OOTS? A friend told you? You googled the word stick? A struggling young webcomic designer personally told you to check out his website back in the day? Come on, share your story.
From a post in the D&D boards.

People were talking about how paladins called their mounts, and linked the comic where Miko summons WindStriker from the Poke-ball (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0373.html). I read a few, laughed a lot, and then started from comic #1.

BanjoTheClown
2007-06-19, 03:10 PM
I Cant really remember how i discovered Oots but, i remember that i discovered it about 5 months ago.:smallsmile:

dehro
2007-06-19, 03:40 PM
the second in command of my guild in an online-RPG game I play linked it to me when I commented on a gag she quoted from the comic (on messenger)..back when it was around comic... 30something, if I remember correctly.. hooked ever since.

Megalomaniac2
2007-06-19, 03:45 PM
On the forum for "Goblins". They were having a poll for where Tempts Fate should go next, and one of the options was "The Land of the Order of the Stick People".

basilisk 89
2007-06-19, 03:51 PM
I was on Wizards of the Coast, and in the Rec-Room (Non Gaming discussion) WaterToFire started a thread asking who read Order of the Stick, with a link to the front page of this site. That was back when we were on Episode +412, I think it was, when they open the case of miniatures and keep getting Lizardfolk. I read it over the weekend, and since then I have been totally obsessed.

Additionally, everything I know about Dungeons and Dragons I learned from the Order of the Stick.

Big_Robot
2007-06-19, 03:52 PM
I was surfing the WotC Forums and followed a sig link to the OOTS. The rest is history...

ALOR
2007-06-19, 03:52 PM
i reading a usnet newsgroup for D&D, someone had a post asking people if they had heard of OotS, posted a link, and the rest is history
that was a long time ago although i can't remember exactly i know the incentive comic promotion had just started when i started reading. if any body remembers when that was please let me know, i'm thinking around issue 120-150

Gorm_the_DBA
2007-06-19, 03:54 PM
Ahh, the good old days...

I came in as a result of the "Hey, let's make OOTS the #1 link on the webcomic link list" thing from...geez...around about ep 80 or so...

Before Rich was professional, before the first book even, as I recall.

mastroyo
2007-06-19, 03:55 PM
About 3 years ago, in comic n.80-100, on the Wizards of the Coast Forum, someone posted a link in the avatar.

Been logging regularly since then...

My friends, however, don't get the comic. Maybe because they don't quite get the language, but still, they should at least try...!

Charos
2007-06-19, 03:55 PM
Actually it was through another webcomic...I've always been a big fan of Neverwinter Nights and I was a really dedicated reader of Generika:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Generika.Home

And when it went belly up someone on the comment board suggested OOTS to check out as another entertaining RPG webcomic...the rest is history, though I must say I'd love to see an ending to Generika *tears up* you think it's hard waiting a week for a late comic here try being stuck in the middle of a major story arc for upwards of two years... :P

Emperor Ing
2007-06-19, 04:08 PM
Ah, LordVader refered it to me, and after a little bit of him showing me a few stuff, I got hooked! The rest is history.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-19, 05:35 PM
I was poking around on EN World.com, where someone posted a link to the one where Elan gave his speech:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0421.html

After that, I followed the strip for several days, then went back and started reading from #1.

Since then, I bought both On the Origins of PC and Start of Darkness, and have saved every strip on my hard-drive, so I can read it when I can't get on the internet.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-19, 05:53 PM
IIRC, from the forums of 8-bit. I've been here for awhile, since about strip 90 I believe.

TheNovak
2007-06-19, 06:14 PM
I was in a Play-by-Post Mutants & Masterminds game, and someone had a link in their sig. Best banner I ever clicked.

maitreyi
2007-06-19, 06:24 PM
:confused: I honestly don't remember when I found oots, or even at what point of the story I read first.

Celébrith
2007-06-19, 06:35 PM
Somebody linked to one on the BioWare forums (Neverwinter Nights) and I got hooked on :vaarsuvius: & :elan:

:smalltongue:

_Arioch_
2007-06-19, 06:47 PM
One of the players in my campaign told me about a web cartoon that had a character (Xykon) who reminded them of the uber-lich in my game. I had to check it out. He was right. I've been hooked ever since.

Reepicheep
2007-06-19, 06:53 PM
I think I remember my link being from squidi.net. I joined in on Comic #114 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html) and I remember thinking that was the end and was thoroughly dissapointed.

Then I checked again a few weeks later and fell in love again. I have not been married since.

Kilbia
2007-06-19, 06:54 PM
I'm on the local RPGA mailing lists (Bandit Kingdoms, Woooooooo!), and people will reference particularly humorous or appropriate episodes.

Moik
2007-06-19, 06:54 PM
Encountered it first in Dragon magazine.

Jawajoey
2007-06-19, 07:53 PM
On the WoW forums. In the Warlock forum, someone posted a thread jokingly suggesting giving Warlocks the spell from Arcanolypse Now (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) :smallbiggrin:

I got curious about the comic, and read them all, which at the time was up until 150 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html), which was right before the bandit camp storyline started.

AngryRussian16
2007-06-19, 07:59 PM
I was reading a thread on a dungeons and dragons website, and someone said something about this being the best webcomic and I googled it to see if it was true

Luckily I agree with that comment,

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0156.html

This was the latest comic when I first started reading

The Hired Sloth
2007-06-19, 08:03 PM
Used to post on the 8-bit Theater forums. There was a post that referenced Elan threatening to cry if some goblin didn't reveal where Haley had been taken to or something.

Followed the link to said strip, started from the first comic. Five minutes later, I was addicted.

Now that school's out, sometimes I think the only reason I even get up every Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday is because there's usually a new strip.

... that and because if I try to keep sleeping, I actually feel more tired than I would if I was being active.

Sutremaine
2007-06-19, 08:12 PM
Somebody linked it on the Straight Dope Message boards, and I read from 1 to ~395 in a couple of days. Reading the gaming articles sent me to the d20srd.org, and from there it was a small step to reading the thing for the heck of it. Didn't come to the forums until the strip where Mike sliced Shojo in half, which is good because otherwise it would have taken me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what had just happened.

I already have far too many books. :smallannoyed:

Lira
2007-06-19, 08:18 PM
I learned about OOTS fairly recently. A couple of weeks ago in school, I saw my friend reading the comics. At first I thought they seemed a bit weird, but after I saw her looking at the "Bardic Nudity" comic, I was interested. :P So I looked it up when I got home, and read through over 400 comics in less than a day and now I'm completely hooked.

I really want to buy the books, especially Origins, but I can't order online and the bookstores in my city, the cities beside mine, and pretty much everywhere else nearby are always sold out. :smallfrown:

Since then, I bought both On the Origins of PC and Start of Darkness, and have saved every strip on my hard-drive, so I can read it when I can't get on the internet.That's a good idea. I think I'll do that too, except put them on my laptop instead. At 2:00 AM when I can't sleep, I'd like to read OOTS comics. :smalltongue:

Gerli
2007-06-19, 08:18 PM
I see a forum user (3DGames) with an avatar of Nale and a link in his signature... so... I follow the link :D

Parasocrates
2007-06-19, 08:39 PM
I followed a link from "Turn Signals on a Land Raider."

EDIT: That was about the end of summer last year.

Adrius
2007-06-19, 09:28 PM
Someone linked to #20. Cracked me up and I was addicted. I don't remember exactly but it was after the OotS defeated the Linear Guild for the first time, but before they faced Xykon. It's been a while :p

Edna
2007-06-19, 11:28 PM
Another member of a parenting e-mail list that I'm on posted a link. (Yes, moms do play D&D...)

Edna

tainted spud
2007-06-20, 12:28 AM
A friend of mine told me to read it or die trying, so I did.

BlueBellBerry
2007-06-20, 12:50 AM
My mom. Stop snickering.

One of her RP buddies (I come from a fairly long line of d20-esque gamers) sent her a link to the comic where Belkar is threatening to turn Windstriker into glue--the kind the weird kid eats. She forwarded it to me, and, well, I've been reading nonstop ever since. :smallsmile:

Asarth
2007-06-20, 01:01 AM
Kingdom of Loathing. I was off wandering KoL's wiki, stumbled upon the 'Click, click, click, click the confirmation box!' thing, and the references said it was referring to Elan's bard songs, and I was curious for a day or two and finally decided to check it out. At that time when I finished reading it (Started at the first appearance of the Test of Body's Hydra, ended the comic after that.) it was the first webcomic I ever read. And by that, I learned about 8-Bit Theater, and many other webcomics, too many to check each day for updates.

rosebud
2007-06-20, 02:01 AM
A very cruel friend (sarcasm intended =) sent me a link in July, 2005 to the strip with the title "stick figure DnD".

In the afternoon, I saw it and eventually took a break and commented, "Run my pretty little chunks of XP, run!!"

Later than evening, I followed up, "Okay, 199 strips and several hours later, I'm all caught up. (...) You bastard you." I've followed it regularly ever since. :smallbiggrin:

A few months later, I started reading the boards when I needed a larger fix. A few months after that I started posting.

And to think what I could have done with all that extra time...

BlueWizard
2007-06-20, 02:05 AM
A current poster, and former player on the boards and in real-life sent me an e-mail. I've been hooked ever since.

Majorman
2007-06-20, 02:44 AM
A RPG forum. It is in Slavonic, so if I give you a link, it won't do you any good. I caught the story at strip #64.

Alex Kidd
2007-06-20, 02:59 AM
Yet another from the forums of 8Bit. It looks like Brian should be getting some money from Rich.

Hypothetical
2007-06-20, 03:01 AM
For me...

My new roommate moved in....a couple of days later we started talking about D&D...one thing lead to another, and now I'm an OOTS addict....

doliemaster
2007-06-20, 03:01 AM
Two years ago, from the Hyberboy link section which I surfed out of bordem. I now have a thing to give me happiness.

demona
2007-06-20, 03:58 AM
(Yes, moms do play D&D...)

preach it, sister :smallwink: :smallsmile:

friends in local gaming club talked about the comic for some time, but since my net connection at home was a veeeery poor dial-up i couldn't read it :smallfrown:
and then i got back to work after my maternity leave last summer, and cought up with OOTS pretty quickly :smallbiggrin:

Voidhawk
2007-06-20, 04:37 AM
I found a link from Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic (http://yafgc.shipsinker.com). After a day of not be able to breathe properly from laughing to hard, i knew it was something special. Now my friends all refer to good things as evilgasms and try to solve all problems by sacificing minions.

Yeril
2007-06-20, 04:42 AM
A friend sent me the link and I read the first couple of comics up to trigak, then I got bored, went to a different website and never returned,

later on I followed a link from a different website and remembered "hey, this is the comic nathan sent me."

good times.

charack
2007-07-18, 10:21 PM
For me, I was searching for information on a skill / feat. I've not played D&D for many moons, last time was under 2nd edition rules I think, anyhow a web search engine brought me to a thread in the forum. Saw the comics read the first and I knew I was hopelessly addicted to this comic strip, as well as rediscovering the world of role playing and D&D :smallbiggrin:

Em Blackleaf
2007-07-18, 10:35 PM
My older brother introduced me to the website.

In case you didn't know, he's Krimm Blackleaf.

I read the first strip and thought it was funny so I signed up for the forums and continued reading.

Inigo Montoya
2007-07-18, 10:50 PM
I was reading the D&D forums one day when I clicked on a link that took me to the first of the secret lore of the Sapphire Guard. I was hooked ever since.

Nogard
2007-07-18, 10:53 PM
Someone posted a link in the comments section of a DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612) comic. I read the one I was linked to, then immediately started at #1 and pressed through a few hundred comics in the next 2 days. I was seriously depressed when i caught up to current and would have to read them one at a time "like the rest of you schlubs". I then proceded to get hooked on erfworld as well, but that lasted me all of a day. So i moved to the forums archive to get the feel of the place, and found i liked it.. so now i waste my time in these forums while waiting for my OotS fix.

Dire Cohort
2007-07-18, 11:00 PM
I followed a link from the website of none other than the Giant's archvillian, Keith Baker. Believe it or not.

Krytha
2007-07-18, 11:08 PM
Ive seen links from it here and there (MT linked it once, PA linked it) and just following links from place to place. Eventually I just bookmarked it.

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-19, 01:17 AM
Someone brought the game to my local game store, tried it out, liked it, found out there was a webcomic of it, loved it, now I'm here.

Aethir
2007-07-19, 01:32 AM
People kept on referencing it on the gamefaqs P&P RPG board so I figured I should check it out. Started reading and was caught up in two days, it was to somewhere around 432 iirc.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-07-19, 11:39 AM
I came over here from Nanowrimo.org last October. Someone posted a link to the worldbuilding articles. After reading them, I checked out the rest of the site, found OOTS, and I've never looked back.

This is not only my favorite webcomic, but the only one I read regularly. Thank you, Rich and get well soon! :)

BlackMageJ
2007-07-19, 11:43 AM
Actually it was through another webcomic...I've always been a big fan of Neverwinter Nights and I was a really dedicated reader of Generika:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Generika.Home

And when it went belly up someone on the comment board suggested OOTS to check out as another entertaining RPG webcomic...the rest is history, though I must say I'd love to see an ending to Generika *tears up* you think it's hard waiting a week for a late comic here try being stuck in the middle of a major story arc for upwards of two years... :P

Pretty much exactly the same for me, except it was when Generika was still quite new. Someone said it reminded them of OotS, so I checked it out. The current strip when I started reading was #87, and I've been hooked ever since.

I do still miss Generika though... I think I was pretty much the biggest fan that comic had (I even did guest strips for one of the many long hiatuses).

Mesfens
2007-07-19, 01:35 PM
My friend told me all about it. I was completely nonplussed at the idea of a stick-figure comic, but this one sure set me right!

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-19, 01:47 PM
someone posted a link on the Wizards forum, and I decided begin reading it from #1.

I got hooked at Evard's Spiked Tentacle of Forceful Intrustion. BCE (Best Comic Ever). Nothing can ever beat that.

Since I was a security agent at the time (still is), night-shifts with a networked-computer, I spent a *cough* little time reading the 385 of them, which was about last year

Deepblue706
2007-07-19, 01:51 PM
I was looking for a D&D "what character are you" test, because a friend mentioned it to me, and I stumbled across the forums here. I found a thread where people started talking about real life stats and how they honestly thought of themselves as heroic-level. I made a username so I could insult them, then I looked around the site some more.

Eventually, I went, "Hey, a comic." and I started reading it.

gerrymander
2007-07-19, 02:02 PM
I ran into an old college friend last April for the first time in over a decade, and he was wearing a Vaarsuvius t-shirt. Within a week I'd read the entire run and ordered all the books.

sparkey477
2007-07-19, 04:02 PM
I clicked the link on the Turn Signals on a Land Raider site, and instantly knew I had to read it.

Strengfellow
2007-07-19, 04:18 PM
A link was posted by a person who plays a game I play on said games forum.

Recently I had a little OotS moment when someone said (after they killed someone) that they were "A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR"

I don't know if they are one and the same person.

Iclyious
2007-07-19, 04:43 PM
I was playing a CN Ghostwise Ranger/Rogue in a RP persistent world for neverwinter nights. My PC used duel daggers and tended to fight relentlessly, someone said they were similar to Belkar. I asked for a link, and I've been a loyal follower ever since(though a lurker). :) Think that was around issue 60-70.

Ariko
2007-07-19, 09:27 PM
someone used to have a scene from the OoTS in his forum sig, on Human Age. specifically the scene with Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion :smallbiggrin:

Fishies
2007-07-19, 09:47 PM
The forums at Travian. (http://www.travian.com/) I started reading during the "Dirt Farmers" sidequest, during the guest comic week.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-20, 12:25 AM
I think someone told me on a MMORPG or something un-glorious, nothing like googling Thor, God of Thunder or anything cool like that. :smalltongue:

Malic
2007-07-20, 12:44 AM
I was bored so I searched up Dungeons And Dragons Comics. I think it was the secod pop-up. First my freind shows me about DnD then I show him about Oots.

Superglucose
2007-07-20, 01:08 AM
The most annoying and humorless member of our group sent out a stupid email with mostly bad webcomics. I was getting sick of the comick-book style art, and I switched over to the (at the time I thought) poorley drawn OotS. "Weapon Shrinkage" was the clincher, and ever since I've loved the simplistic art style, and wished and dreamed I'd have that kind of talent some day.

Agalyon
2007-07-20, 02:06 AM
My freind kept urging me to read it, then one day I was bored and had nothing to do so started reading. I read all the strips (#337 at that time) in one day :smalltongue:

North
2007-07-20, 02:12 AM
Link from Misfile I think. Or another webcomic

Mr Wizard
2007-07-20, 02:47 AM
A buddy on the www.gamingsteve.com forums pointed it out to me. I started reading at around "Elan Getting it on with the Bandit Sorceress" comic. I joined these forums at around the "Order of the Scribble" comics, though it may have been earlier. I dont remember exactly.

Liliedhe
2007-07-20, 02:59 AM
The Admin of my Shadowrun Forum posted a list of good webcomics. OotS was third or fourth in the list... The others didn't interest me, but here I had a whole lot of Deja vus all at once because so many of those things happened in one or two of my gaming groups as well. I didn't read it in one go but over the course of maybe a week, then looked in sporadically, until the "Inn" Storyline when I just HAD to know how Roy and Elan would escape from the closet. And later on I got the books, too. :smallbiggrin:

jolus
2007-07-20, 05:40 AM
I found it just two or three weeks ago, by sheer occasion. The Lich was
calling :-)

I searched Youtube for the song "Danny Boy", and I
found (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aVhn_-5GkWs) it. While
listening, I read the comments, like "OotS all the way" or "Glad to see
i'm not the only one here because of OoTS" (This comment was posted
after this nice little comment conversation:
"What a great song. I think there's something in my eye.
(Reply)
SPLORTCH! Got it out for you. " )

So I went out seeking for OotS. I found it, but it did not really catch
my eye. I just wanted to find that stupid Danny Boy Version, so I read
some comics from the start, some from the end, and when I found that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0445.html)
marvelous comic strip, I wanted to know more about the story, and now I
am here having read all the comics.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-20, 06:09 AM
We were all over at our D.M.'s house after school, and hes like, one sec im gunna check my fav webcomic (oots). And i read the comic over his shoulder, and was hooked. I got home and started reading all the way from the beginning.

RocketBard
2007-07-20, 08:37 AM
I was over at another set of forums, and I saw it in someone else's sig. So I clicked on it and it took me here.

stickygoo
2007-07-20, 09:16 AM
I dropped in on my friend Tony and he was giggling histarically to what was then the latest strip. I went home, checked it out and ws hooked.

Jops
2007-07-20, 09:20 AM
I was checking OnlineComics.net (http://www.onlinecomics.net/) and saw thumbnail of OotS in the front page. Even if they were just sticky figures, i thought that the artwork was of excelelnt quality, so i decided to click on the link and check it out.
I think the most recent page at the time was #12 or soemthing, so it didn't take long for me to read the archives, love the comic and add it to my favs.

Longshanks
2007-07-20, 09:22 AM
A friend I game with told me about OotS. I'm glad he did because it's really funny!

Dusk_Rider
2007-07-20, 09:29 AM
I was reading it in Dragon magazine, and went to the website written below comic. Glad I did. :smallbiggrin:

Arian
2007-07-20, 11:33 AM
There was a reference to it on rec.games.frp.dnd.

I don't remember the current episode when I started reading, but my first comment in the forums was made when #55 was new. So some time before that. :smalltongue:

Maddgief
2007-07-20, 11:33 AM
Someone linked me to the site on a video games forum. I was immediately captivated- so much so that I forced myself to stay away from the strips from months so that I could read a bunch in succession.

My fascination has now hit its peak as the current story run is the best work Rich has done- and I recently purchased and received all of the OOTS books.

I'm so grateful for Rich's little corner on the net. He deserves any and all fortunes that come his way as a result of OOTS.

fangthane
2007-07-20, 12:10 PM
First, how I didn't discover the OotS... A couple of friends had made reference to the comic a time or two during gaming sessions, but they never really stressed how good it was and I wasn't particularly interested in seeking out Yet Another Web Comic, at the time. For the most part, and I still maintain this is true, webcomics tend to suck. There'll be the occasional run of all-goodness, but because it's not as expensive (in terms of total front-to-back costs) to 'publish' a webcomic, the average level of expertise in production and publishing generally is much lower, and the product tends to suffer. So I wasn't really that interested, in general terms.

Some time later, I was doing some googling for a very specific stick death animation - to be honest, I don't think I ever did find it - and saw a link to something called The Order of the Stick, with no information about what it might be. So figuring "Hmm, this site might host that file I've been looking for" I gave it a go. Checked into the comics, and was hooked by the sound effects on the weapon shrinkage. Not the shrinkage itself, or anything else, but the sound effect. A little over a hundred comics later, I was anxiously awaiting updates, though it wasn't until far later still that I actually registered. At this point, evilgasms, WWBD (What Would Belkar Do?) and other concepts are staples of our gaming sessions. My druid, for example, often declaims (even to male opponents) "Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class!" Wouldn't have it any other way.

Vulion
2007-07-20, 12:47 PM
I was just browsing through Gamer's Paradise one day, and lo and behold, in the RPG books section, there stood the Dungeon Crawlin' Fools. Curious, I took a gander. Much intrigued, but far too cheap to by a book about a webcomic I had not yet seen online, I spirited away to the nearest computer. My journey was a long and complicated one, for while the comic did intirgue me, I forgot to check the authors name.

Despair took me then and lo, I believed my quest a failure, yet I remebered something very important. I had seen the art style once before, in a guest comic on 8-bit theater.

Quickly I raced through the bandwith, a difficult task considering mine computer doth suck, and discovered the name of he who drew the comic that intrigued me so. Rich Burlew.

Like a dork he did sound, but I misjudged him, for he was a comic GOD!!!

With the vital information in hand, a scurried off to Wikipedia, where the name I did type in and such, I found an article about the fabled Order of the Stick. Steeling my nerves for the coming trail, I did double click.

The rest as they say, is history...:smalltongue:

Persephone_Kore
2007-07-20, 01:04 PM
Howard Tayler's list of favorite comics on the Schlock Mercenary page. It was a while ago, but I resisted joining the forums for a long time and... now I can't remember what I actually signed up to respond to. This may be because I ended up not responding to it after all.

Forealms
2007-07-20, 01:59 PM
I first found out about OotS After the 125th comic came out. A friend had brought me a printed out version of the first 125, and I loved them so much I looked "Order of the Stick" up on Google and was referred to here.

dragolite
2007-07-20, 03:42 PM
I was trying to find a list of unfair DM sayings and things that are said around an role playing table and I stumbled across the comic. I saw how long it was, and three days later I had read the whole thing. It was great! I love this comic. Can't wait for more.:smallsmile:

Seeker
2007-07-21, 10:38 PM
I stumbled on the site through Wikipedia, looking for webcomics. I came around maybe 250?

Bocc Kob
2007-07-21, 10:54 PM
People on forums always listed OOTS as among their favorite webcomics, but I hadn't checked it out until a few weeks ago. Or maybe it was a month now, I dunno.

I forget what the topic was about, but on another forum, someone put up the link to the comic when Redcloak was tossing titanium elementals at Azure City. I liked the line, "he besieged me with science!"

The latest strip up was #468.

Arnen
2007-07-21, 11:22 PM
Well, I either heard of OotS through one of my online buddies, or during one of my last D&D sessions before my previous group split. Can't remember which it was. :smallconfused: I just know it was around 300 or so, though I didn't register for the forums until later.

Unfortunately, after I had discovered it, my sister (who was playing a multiclass rogue/bard) decided it'd be hillarious if she sung Elan-esque bits whenever anyone had to roll for anything. She eventually stopped after we threatened to smash her mandolin, fortunately.

Maddgief
2007-07-24, 03:34 PM
Oh and I want to say that I first found OOTS when the strip was in the 90s...but I'm not sure.

Verick Severith
2007-07-24, 07:25 PM
i reading a usnet newsgroup for D&D, someone had a post asking people if they had heard of OotS, posted a link, and the rest is history
that was a long time ago although i can't remember exactly i know the incentive comic promotion had just started when i started reading. if any body remembers when that was please let me know, i'm thinking around issue 120-150

A friend of mine introduced it to me, I started around comic #333 and while I still rarely post have been visiting the site all the time since.

Shorty_the_Kobold
2007-07-24, 07:52 PM
Zherog's avvie on the WotC boards.
'nuff said.

Pyro
2007-07-24, 08:17 PM
I swear I've I thinkI've responded to this before, but I couldn't find my post soooo anyway I think Concerned linked here. Hooray!

Murrough
2007-07-25, 05:49 AM
someone posted a link to the OOTS to a newsgroup in an online game i play. (www.bat.org)

and damn i am grateful to that person! :smallsmile:

Moebius2000
2007-07-25, 06:23 AM
Currently I'm an intern in a software company and in my first weeks one of my colleagues which knows that I like Pen&Paper RPG's send me the link.
This was exactly on 11 of April this year Comic 435 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html).
Since this date I'm additcted to OotS and I'm responsible that three of my friends are addicted too :)

I hope my english is not too bad.