PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How to deal with Tarrasque with "Tarrasque takes no damage"

Pinjata
2016-03-09, 10:06 AM
Tarrasque statblock, but has "Tarrasque takes no damage" added to it.

How could a lvl 20 party handle this in 5e? If at all?

I'm aiming for a monster that must be somehow bound but can not be killed and is meant for high-level encounter (party lvl 18+)

Oramac
2016-03-09, 10:16 AM
My first thought was the Banishment spell, but the Tarrasque has a pretty good Cha save.

Also, having a Divination Wizard to force the Tarrasque to fail the save would be good.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-09, 10:17 AM
The Grandma solution is my favorite approach to neutralizing big T.

Get cleric(s). Cast Heroes Feast. Lots and lots of times. Let the Tarrasque feast, over and over and over.

Eventually even his appetite is sated, and he digs a lair and takes a nap. For a few centuries.

Put up a "do not disturb" sign in every language you can manage.

mgshamster
2016-03-09, 10:41 AM
Find some way to defeat it that doesn't involve "I hit with a stick." Think beyond damage, think outside of the character sheet.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-09, 10:46 AM
I think the Tarrasque fits in a demiplane, so just get it in there and never allow it to get out.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-09, 10:47 AM
If you could make it 'willing', possibly via domination, it would be easy enough to Sequester it. Or True Polymorph it into a chicken.

You could probably contain it with a Wall of Force or two, but all that really does is buy you time. I suspect most long-term solutions will require it to fail a Wisdom or Charisma save, so bombarding it with those is probably the way to go.

Lines
2016-03-09, 10:58 AM
Find some way to defeat it that doesn't involve "I hit with a stick." Think beyond damage, think outside of the character sheet.

Thinking beyond damage and thinking inside the character sheet works too. I'd burn through its legendary saves and polymorph it into a worm either directly or via repeatedly casting conjure woodland beings - at 8th level, that's 24 pixies. The tarrasque will fail his save against at least one polymorph, at which point you dig several hundred metres down (pixies can also polymorph into giant badgers, 10ft burrow means you're getting 100 feet per minute), leave the tarrasque in a small box, then dump the earth back onto him. Tarrasque suffocates, problem is solved.

Oramac
2016-03-09, 11:18 AM
I suspect most long-term solutions will require it to fail a Wisdom or Charisma save, so bombarding it with those is probably the way to go.

This is why I suggested the Divination Wizard. A couple forced failed saves would go a long way to making that happen.

GanonBoar
2016-03-09, 11:35 AM
Geas with a 9th level slot. If it fails, try again tomorrow. If it succeeds, it is now your slave for life.

mgshamster
2016-03-09, 11:49 AM
Thinking beyond damage and thinking inside the character sheet works too. I'd burn through its legendary saves and polymorph it into a worm either directly or via repeatedly casting conjure woodland beings - at 8th level, that's 24 pixies. The tarrasque will fail his save against at least one polymorph, at which point you dig several hundred metres down (pixies can also polymorph into giant badgers, 10ft burrow means you're getting 100 feet per minute), leave the tarrasque in a small box, then dump the earth back onto him. Tarrasque suffocates, problem is solved.

I would argue that you did exactly what I proposed. I have never seen a character sheet list "bury opponent X ft down in a box" as an option. You're thinking outside of your listed abilities and using them in creative ways. That's exactly what needs to be done to face extremely powerful opponents.

Awesome example, btw.

MaxWilson
2016-03-09, 11:54 AM
Geas with a 9th level slot. If it fails, try again tomorrow. If it succeeds, it is now your slave for life.

Geas doesn't do that.

However.

The Tarrasque does not have Immutable Form, so True Polymorph: Human + Magic Jar result in you possessing its body. Then just drop concentration on your True Polymorph and you now own its invulnerable-to-damage body. Hopefully you have Subtle Spell or something so you can actually cast spells.

And now you have a spellcasting Tarrasque who takes no damage, ever, as your BBEG.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-09, 11:56 AM
The Grandma solution is my favorite approach to neutralizing big T.

Get cleric(s). Cast Heroes Feast. Lots and lots of times. Let the Tarrasque feast, over and over and over.

Eventually even his appetite is sated, and he digs a lair and takes a nap. For a few centuries.

Put up a "do not disturb" sign in every language you can manage.

I need to write this down for future use. It's a genius idea that deserves to get brought up every now and then.

Inevitability
2016-03-09, 12:04 PM
Plane Shift it to a plane of your choice. I recommend Pandemonium, because the mental image of a raving mad Tarrasque rampaging through 10 ft-wide caves is hilarious. Hey, it's not the first time people use that plane to get rid off ancient abominations.

pwykersotz
2016-03-09, 12:18 PM
So what I'm seeing from all these responses is pretty much "Yes, the Big T will be more or less impervious and needs to be bound in a Demiplane, alternate Plane, another form, etc."

A few exceptions have applied, such as suffocation, but you can rule that out too if you like.

Lines
2016-03-09, 12:23 PM
So what I'm seeing from all these responses is pretty much "Yes, the Big T will be more or less impervious and needs to be bound in a Demiplane, alternate Plane, another form, etc."

A few exceptions have applied, such as suffocation, but you can rule that out too if you like.

So what you're saying is that the creature the OP made impervious will be impervious, except for my solution which kills it so you can rule my solution doesn't kill it too if you want.

eastmabl
2016-03-09, 12:26 PM
This is why I suggested the Divination Wizard. A couple forced failed saves would go a long way to making that happen.

This presupposes two things:

1. The wizard rolls low on his Portent rolls. You need to assume that you have some good rolls and some bad rolls.

2. The Tarrasque isn't using his legendary resistance ability. Legendary Resistance tells Portent to sit down and shut up.

I need to write this down for future use. It's a genius idea that deserves to get brought up every now and then.

It works great until a thousand years pass and everyone adopts a language that isn't included in the warnings - which I believe would be a great adventure hook.

Lines
2016-03-09, 12:34 PM
This presupposes two things:

1. The wizard rolls low on his Portent rolls. You need to assume that you have some good rolls and some bad rolls.

2. The Tarrasque isn't using his legendary resistance ability. Legendary Resistance tells Portent to sit down and shut up.

It works great until a thousand years pass and everyone adopts a language that isn't included in the warnings - which I believe would be a great adventure hook.

The Tarrasque isn't intelligent enough to discriminate on legendary resistance, it's int 3, dog level smarts. A dragon's going to identify your spell and decide it doesn't need blow a use to make its save against lightning bolt because you'll be holding back spells like hold monster for when it's out of legendary saves, a tarrasque is not going to be strategic about what it uses its saves on. Just throw low level spells at it until it uses up its 3 legendary saves and then start with the good stuff.

pwykersotz
2016-03-09, 01:06 PM
So what you're saying is that the creature the OP made impervious will be impervious, except for my solution which kills it so you can rule my solution doesn't kill it too if you want.

Exactly! :smallwink:

GanonBoar
2016-03-09, 01:46 PM
Geas doesn't do that.
Pretty sure it does. What does it do then?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-09, 02:06 PM

Strongly encourages someone to fulfill a task or quest - or to refrain from doing something. It does not "make someone your slave" unless you're exceptionally loose with your definition of 'slave'.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-09, 02:07 PM
Do we need to permanently defeat it, stop it, or just get past it/away from it?

If the latter, just Maze that sucker (the Tarrasque doesn't have the intelligence to have a chance of escaping, so it's stuck there for the duration)

For a permakill: Do 'reduce to 0 hit points' effects still work? If so, then have a Mobile Aaracockra Open Hand Monk hit and run it with Quivering Palm until it goes down, at which point you True Polymorph it into a ferret, or Imprison it, or use one of the various other save or loses.

Since it doesn't have a burrow speed, an Illusionist could use Mirage Arcana to make an illusory mile deep pit under it, make it real with Illusory Reality, then dismiss the spell, entombing it a mile down. Since it doesn't have a burrow speed, it's got no way out. This then raises the question of whether Tarrasques need to eat, drink, or breathe...

Sigreid
2016-03-09, 02:39 PM
I kind of miss the days when the Tarrasque was just a fun way to end the campaign by the whole world gods and all being eaten by a giant monster

MaxWilson
2016-03-09, 02:49 PM

Prevents them from attacking you, gives you advantage on social checks against them (e.g. Persuasion, Deception), and additionally inflicts a 5d10 psychic damage to them every day they violate your instructions. The hypothetical invulnerable Tarrasque takes no damage, so the psychic damage doesn't matter, leaving only the advantage and preventing attack.

Incidentally, Geas's daily 5d10 damage may sound pretty weak until you realize a vengeful ex-employer can combo it with Dream to prevent your target from healing overnight (and add another 3d6 psychic damage daily). The two spells combined add up to pretty good "plot spell" potential: a spell combo that will kill you in less than a week if you betray your employer.

Desamir
2016-03-09, 04:10 PM
Portent + Quivering Palm. You'll have to burn his legendary saves first with low level spells or stunning strike.

Lines
2016-03-09, 04:17 PM
I kind of miss the days when the Tarrasque was just a fun way to end the campaign by the whole world gods and all being eaten by a giant monster

Why? Don't get me wrong, I don't like the incredibly easy to beat for a CR 30 5e Tarrasque either, but surely you want a monster that you can at least interact with. Maybe I'm getting it wrong - when was it a campaign ender, and how did it work?

Sigreid
2016-03-09, 07:43 PM
Why? Don't get me wrong, I don't like the incredibly easy to beat for a CR 30 5e Tarrasque either, but surely you want a monster that you can at least interact with. Maybe I'm getting it wrong - when was it a campaign ender, and how did it work?

Been a while, but what I'm thinking of as the Tarrasque was the Devour er in 1st printing Dieties and Demigods. Only times I ever saw it rolled out was when everyone agreed that it was time for the campaign to end and the slate to be wiped clean. The whole point was a glorious crash and burn.

Lines
2016-03-09, 07:44 PM
Been a while, but what I'm thinking of as the Tarrasque was the Devour er in 1st printing Dieties and Demigods. Only times I ever saw it rolled out was when everyone agreed that it was time for the campaign to end and the slate to be wiped clean. The whole point was a glorious crash and burn.

Yes, but why was it a glorious crash and burn. What abilities did it have?

Sigreid
2016-03-09, 07:47 PM
Yes, but why was it a glorious crash and burn. What abilities did it have?

I'm sorry, I don't remember. It's been a long time. What I do remember is the description called it out specifically as even killing and eating gods. Wish I could give you more information but it's been 20+ years.

Lines
2016-03-09, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry, I don't remember. It's been a long time. What I do remember is the description called it out specifically as even killing and eating gods. Wish I could give you more information but it's been 20+ years.

Ah, ok. There are old players here, I'm sure someone will chime in at some point. Mostly just asking because in 3.5 and 5e the tarrasque has been a chump monster, built up in fluff as an unstoppable engine of death and in practise is easily defeated by even low level characters. 4e did it well though, anti flight aura and a suite of scary abilities.

Desamir
2016-03-10, 07:09 PM
4e did it well though, anti flight aura and a suite of scary abilities.

Are we thinking of the same 4e Tarrasque? Its at-will attack deals ~20 damage plus 15 ongoing, and its recharge attack deals ~30ish. It was so pathetic that competent melee characters could solo it with little trouble. Possibly the weakest Tarrasque ever printed.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-10, 08:12 PM
I think the fix for the 5e tarrasque to make it acceptably scary is easy.

The fluff says it sleeps underground (or underwater) for centuries, then emerges to wreak havoc. So:
1) It doesn't breathe
2) It has a burrow speed.
2a) It, by instinct, burrows a corkscrew shape and collapses the tunnel behind it, so you can't follow it easily.
2b) If you do more than 2/3 damage to it, it starts burrowing

And of course, if it sleeps overnight undisturbed, it regains all its lost HP.

Good luck fighting the Tarrasque hundreds of feet underground in a lair just barely big enough to contain it as the walls and ceiling collapse around you. I don't think a level 5 wizard is going to kite this fellow.

Also, since the 5e tarrasque lacks regeneration, the good news is it is easier to kill, but the bad news is by definition it has never ever been defeated completely on this world before - so legends and divination and so on should not reveal very much about it. What you ought to know, in fact, is that it is immune to weapons and spells bounce off of it.

supergoji18
2016-03-10, 11:45 PM
You will need: at least 3 spellcasters, a few meat shields to distract the beast, and the blessings of Gygax.

step one: Use Wish to wish away the Tarrasque's Magic Resistance. While you could probably use Wish to insta-kill it, this use of the spell is less likely to fail or have the DM screw with your wish.

step two: Get yourself a Androsphinx to help you. They're immune to non-magical damage, and the Tarrasque doesn't deal magical damage with its attacks. If no Androsphinxes are available, True Polymorph into one.

step three: Force the Tarrasque to use up all of its Legendary Resistances by using the Roar ability and casting as many of the Androsphinx's spells as you can that require saves.

step four: Have a spellcaster with a very high spell save DC (preferably above 20) cast True Polymorph and turn it into a slug. Maintain concentration for 1 hour to make the spell permanent. The Tarrasque is now a slug.

step five: Step on the slug.

you have now killed the invulnerable Tarrasque

Wartex1
2016-03-11, 12:08 AM
You will need: at least 3 spellcasters, a few meat shields to distract the beast, and the blessings of Gygax.

step one: Use Wish to wish away the Tarrasque's Magic Resistance. While you could probably use Wish to insta-kill it, this use of the spell is less likely to fail or have the DM screw with your wish.

step two: Get yourself a Androsphinx to help you. They're immune to non-magical damage, and the Tarrasque doesn't deal magical damage with its attacks. If no Androsphinxes are available, True Polymorph into one.

step three: Force the Tarrasque to use up all of its Legendary Resistances by using the Roar ability and casting as many of the Androsphinx's spells as you can that require saves.

step four: Have a spellcaster with a very high spell save DC (preferably above 20) cast True Polymorph and turn it into a slug. Maintain concentration for 1 hour to make the spell permanent. The Tarrasque is now a slug.

Or...

Instead of a slug, turn it into a mini-tarrasque the size of a poodle and take it on walks in the park.

JoeJ
2016-03-11, 12:18 AM

step six: Run away from the tarrasque that returns to its original form when the polymorphed shape drops to 0 hit points or dies.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 12:29 AM
step six: Run away from the tarrasque that returns to its original form when the polymorphed shape drops to 0 hit points or dies.

That doesn't matter once the form becomes permanent. Now, a Dispel Magic on it would be terrifying all over again :smallbiggrin:

Lines
2016-03-11, 01:13 AM
That doesn't matter once the form becomes permanent. Now, a Dispel Magic on it would be terrifying all over again :smallbiggrin:

The wording is unclear on if it becoming permanent disables the 'or until the target drops to 0 hit points' aspect of things. And that solution seems a lot more complicated than just polymorphing the Tarrasque into a worm, digging a deep hole, putting it at the bottom and filling it in. A giant badger can burrow 10 feet a round and the Tarrasque is nowhere near strong enough to move hundreds of metres of earth off itself, suffocating the tarrasque merely requires a level 4 spell.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 01:19 AM
The wording is unclear on if it becoming permanent disables the 'or until the target drops to 0 hit points' aspect of things. And that solution seems a lot more complicated than just polymorphing the Tarrasque into a worm, digging a deep hole, putting it at the bottom and filling it in. A giant badger can burrow 10 feet a round and the Tarrasque is nowhere near strong enough to move hundreds of metres of earth off itself, suffocating the tarrasque merely requires a level 4 spell.

It was clarified in Sage Advice that it doesn't cause them to revert. Of course, many giants here take that with a grain of salt, so the point may be moot.

Lines
2016-03-11, 02:28 AM
It was clarified in Sage Advice that it doesn't cause them to revert. Of course, many giants here take that with a grain of salt, so the point may be moot.

Nothing but salt, in my case. I'd maybe consider checking online for official answers to things that should have been in the book in the first place if they were well thought out, always consistent and all in the one document but since none of that's true I ignore it completely.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 03:01 AM
Nothing but salt, in my case. I'd maybe consider checking online for official answers to things that should have been in the book in the first place if they were well thought out, always consistent and all in the one document but since none of that's true I ignore it completely.

And it's your prerogative to do so, but it is the only semi-official source that gives any clarification. Otherwise, it's an interpretation based on an ambiguous statement in the book.

Lines
2016-03-11, 03:17 AM
And it's your prerogative to do so, but it is the only semi-official source that gives any clarification. Otherwise, it's an interpretation based on an ambiguous statement in the book.

I do so because it infuriates me. We get a set of well thought out errata with everything there based on what makes sense and will enhance fun rather than how they're feeling at the moment and I'll memorise the lot.

SharkForce
2016-03-11, 11:14 AM
can't speak for earlier, but second edition tarrasque was fairly scary.

it had an attack pattern of d12/d12/2d12/5d10/d10/d10 which is quite a lot of damage, plus the 5d10 was also a sword of sharpness in ability. also, every 10 rounds it could charge/trample, doubling those last two d10 attacks and dealing 4d10 in an area. 300 HP, AC -3 (the AC was relatively a minor issue by the time you'd expect to fight a tarrasque). it was immune to basically all damaging spells, and could reflect them at the caster 1 in 6 times. immune to heat, fire psionics, and weapons that are not at least +1.

also, you needed to get it down to -30 HP (and keep it there) and use a wish to kill it. probably (as in, according to rumours, that will kill it). otherwise it had unstoppable regeneration.

quite nasty, i suppose, but it still has all the weaknesses of later editions. some guy with a magic ranged weapon, flight or a horse, and access to a wish can pretty much kill it without really being at risk of anything happening to them.

edit: oh, and normal (ie low level/HD) creatures literally could not run away. they would be paralyzed in fear with no save just by being nearby. which generally means they get eaten, because that's kinda what the tarrasque does.