PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Newspaper Comic

Genome
2006-06-07, 03:35 PM
What's your favorite newspaper comic strip?
My vote goes to Pearls Before Swine. I laugh out loud at almost every single one of them. The Sunday ones, that is. I have never seen the weekday comics because I just get the Sunday paper.
A close second is Dilbert, followed by Calvin and Hobbes. I appreciate Bill Watterson's work with Calvin and Hobbes the most though, because there were times when the strip was thought-provoking as well as times that he did it for the sake of art. Also, I have a high respect for Mr. Watterson in refusing to allow Calvin and Hobbes merchandise to be made, and his wisdom in knowing when to end the comic, of which the opposite is true for Garfield.

WampaX
2006-06-07, 03:47 PM
Far Side . . . Calvin & Hobbes
I can't decide.

Kahlan
2006-06-07, 03:50 PM
Get Fuzzy. Foxtrot comes a close second.

theKOT
2006-06-07, 03:53 PM
Calvin & Hobbes
Foxtrot
Dilbert.
In that order.

Midnight Son
2006-06-07, 03:54 PM
Get Fuzzy is hilarious.

Calvinball (and Hobbes)
Overboard
Over the Hedge

Dr._Weird
2006-06-07, 04:45 PM
Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side are clashing for first for me too, WampaX.

After that? Get Fuzzy again.

Then Dilbert.

Then Foxtrot.

Spit_Dog
2006-06-07, 04:47 PM
Ummmm, Marmaduke?

No....it has to be Sherman's Lagoon.

PS: In Gary Larson's "The Prehistory Of The Far Side" check out what happens when someone at a paper "accidentally" switches the captions of "The Far Side" with "Dennis the Menace".

Eriol
2006-06-07, 04:47 PM
Calvin & Hobbes
Tie between "Fox Trot" and "Pearls before Swine"
Brevity (a one-paneler that's just hilarious)

Dilbert used to be at (or near) the top, but the quality of them has declined SHARPLY imo in the last couple of years, so much so that it's not even CLOSE to as good as it used to be.

Edit: forgot Brevity

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-07, 04:56 PM
Calvin & Hobbes, then Foxtrot.

warmachine
2006-06-07, 05:16 PM
Judge Dredd! Why? 'Cos it's a vision of the future that could happen but must never be allowed to happen.

tee_kay_one
2006-06-07, 05:23 PM
there's a NEWSPAPER that prints Judge Dredd comics? link me please.

indianajoe
2006-06-07, 06:37 PM
Peanuts - They don't always make me laugh out loud but I do love them.

InaVegt
2006-06-07, 06:38 PM
I don't remember the name and I doubt anyone of you knows it, but it's about a psychiatrist,

Genome
2006-06-07, 06:41 PM
I think the wife/mother in Edge City is a psychiatrist.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-06-07, 06:42 PM
heheheh ^^, Sigmund is only in Dutch I believe.
Fokke en Sukke have been translated to english though, and pretty good too!

InaVegt
2006-06-07, 06:43 PM
heheheh ^^, Sigmund is only in Dutch I believe.
That's why I doubted they'd know that, didn't know you were going to reply here.

warmachine
2006-06-07, 07:33 PM
That the London Metro runs Judge Dredd is mentioned in http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=news&page=newsimage&choice=metrodr edd but their website doesn't display the strips. Boo!

rwald
2006-06-07, 08:17 PM
Foxtrot FTW. Being firmly in the science/math nerd demographic, I appreciate Jason Fox and when Bill Amend uses actual and correct science in his comics. Plus Star Wars quotes.

TinSoldier
2006-06-07, 08:22 PM
I'd probably have to list the whole comics section in my paper -- the Portland Oregonian.

But I'll do my best to list my favorites:
Rose is Rose
Pickles
Doonesbury
Dilbert
Zits
Better or Worse
Grand Avenue
Sally Forth
Foxtrot (of course!)
Luann
Baby Blues
Safe Havens
Elderberries

I don't know if I like Get Fuzzy or Pearls Before Swine better, sometimes they have a stinker sometimes they're pretty funny.

The Oregonian only shows Over the Hedge and Opus on the Sundays. I like them, too.

Samiam303
2006-06-08, 12:01 AM
Calvin & Hobbes > Get Fuzzy > Foxtrot

Ing
2006-06-08, 12:05 AM
Pearls before swine
Get Fuzzy
Dilbert
Farside
Calvin and Hobbs

TinSoldier
2006-06-08, 12:16 AM
I do have to agree, though, that Calvin and Hobbes was the greatest. Since Waterston doesn't do them anymore and they're not in my newspaper... :-[

Oh, and Mother Goose and Grimm.

Chrono_Crow
2006-06-08, 12:57 AM
21 posts and only one mention of Zits? Tsk tsk tsk. That's easily my favorite, followed by Foxtrot. I never could get into Get Fuzzy like everyone else. I like Baby Blues, sometimes. They're hit or miss. I like Family Circus best of all, because the possible jokes that can be made about it are better than actual jokes in most comics.:)

Holy_Knight
2006-06-08, 01:03 AM
Calvin and Hobbes first, No contest.

Second is almost certainly Foxtrot.

Other honorable mentions, not necessarily in any order:

For Better or For Worse
Dilbert
Zits
Get Fuzzy
Over The Hedge
The Far Side
Pearls Before Swine
Peanuts for most of its run
Rose is Rose
Close to Home

FuziSlipers
2006-06-08, 02:00 AM
Oh! Zits is hilarious! As are Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, and Get Fuzzy.

Trying to think of ones that haven't been mentioned... (and I will ALWAYS love Garfield!)

Cathy? Has anyone mentioned it yet?

sun_tzu
2006-06-08, 02:21 AM
Calvin&Hobbes. No contest.

Beleriphon
2006-06-08, 08:51 AM
I'll always like Calvin & Hobbes, but Fox Trot and Sherman's Lagoon are up there as well.

Other fun comics include: Bizarro and Far Side, both appear to my twisted sense of humour.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 10:39 PM
Calvin and Hobbes. It's the only comic I've actually bought in book form. I really miss it. I should go read the books again.

"Firing the freem propulsion units, Spaceman Spiff blasts into space!"

"El Tigre Numero Uno."

As a second, I used to love some of Bloom County, in particular the ones where the guy in the wheel chair would pretend to be Captain Kirk, and the penguin would pretend to be Mr. Spock. Those were hysterical! :D

TinSoldier
2006-06-09, 10:51 PM
With Doonesbury, I've really liked the BD strips from the last few years. No matter what Trudeau's politics, I think he has captured that character (and sympathy for veterans) very well.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 11:47 PM
With Doonesbury, I've really liked the BD strips from the last few years. No matter what Trudeau's politics, I think he has captured that character (and sympathy for veterans) very well.
Oops. While I was driving to the supermarket I remembered that it was Bloom County rather than Doonesbury that had the guy in the wheel chair and the penguin. Doonesbury was running George Bush and his evil twin Skippy when I last read it. That referred to the current Bush's father. When Doonesbury first appeared I believe I was an undergrad, and it seemed funny, but it became grossly one-sided and that made it seem pretty pompous and self-serious.

Overelemental
2006-06-10, 07:58 AM
All-time favourite must be Calvin & Hobbes.

Of the current ones, I guess Nemi is my favourite. Dilbert is a good second.

Gamefreakguy
2006-06-10, 09:40 AM
Calvin & Hobbes are way past the point of unmatched. :) My favorite by a long way. :D I have all the books but never read it in the comics, because I don't have it in mine.

In the current comics I like Zits, Baby Blues, Sherman's Lagoon, Foxtrot, Non Seqiter (hey, it's good too...), umm... Brewster Rockit is usually funny. :) Blondie, Hagar, and Broom Hilda.

Out of those I think Foxtrot is my favorite and then Zits & Baby Blues. :D I actually got the Sunday paper out to look at what there was. :P

But my least favorite right now is Peanuts. They are so stupid in a not funny but trying to be way that they are really annoying... and pointless... but in a really bad way.

Genome
2006-06-10, 09:54 AM
For least favorite I would have to say Fred Basset. I don't think that comic has had a punchline in years, nor anything else really.

lordbyronix
2006-06-10, 05:09 PM
Hmm, noones mentioned the Boondocks, which was also adapted into an excellent show on Cartoon Network.

ElfLad
2006-07-28, 12:30 AM
Foxtrot
Pearls before swine
Get Fuzzy
Dilbert
Far Side
Calvin and Hobbes

My paper doesn't run Pearls Before Swine, but I get it in my e-mail.

theswarm
2006-07-30, 12:55 AM
Calvin and Hobbes is classic, I love it, but Get Fuzzy is also very good. I also like the Far Side

larnman2
2006-07-30, 10:41 AM
My favorites are the exact same as every one elses. Boondocks,C&H, far side, sherman's lagoon. I get none of these comics in my paper.

If you''ll notice, comic strips get a sort of tenure. Long after comics stop being funny; dennis the menace, crankshaft, garfield; they are allowed to stay on because editors can't take them off.

ElfLad
2006-07-30, 10:12 PM
Actually, Garfield has been impressing me lately. I always liked it when I was little, but then it got repetitive. Now, however, I see Davis using more pantomime strips, which are, IMO, better than the ones where Garfield sarcastically comments on everything, and the recent storyline with Jon and the vet shows a bit more depth than the running gags over and over that I've become used to. If Davis actually goes somewhere with that instead of having everything back to square one after the story arc, I'd be very impressed.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-08-12, 12:06 AM
there's a NEWSPAPER that prints Judge Dredd comics? link me please.

Judge Dredd is a comic!? I thought it was just an obscure video game!

General Leitmann
2006-08-12, 03:57 AM
Judge Dredd is a comic!? I thought it was just an obscure video game!

And an equally obscure movie! Hahahahaha.

My favourite is definately Calvin and Hobbes. I honestly have no second. Just Calvin and Hobbes.

Starla
2006-08-12, 09:58 AM
The comics section is the only interest I have in the newspaper so I don't have a subscription. My favorite will always be Calvin and Hobbes.