PDA

View Full Version : Craziest ideas?

Hiro
2016-03-09, 01:37 PM
Hey all y'all in teh playground.

I have a question: what do you think could be a reasonable build (race/class/etc) for a reincarnated character?

Namely one that died on earth but because the outer realms encompass all worlds to some degree; ends up Golarian (pathfinder setting).

I'd lke some help in deciding what could be fun to play up

I've got most of the official books for PF though I was considering a kineticist from occult adventures.

It's for something I"m writing currently but I may use an actual roleplay char at some point.

I ask because I can't decide at all XD

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-03-09, 02:25 PM
What would be a good class and race and build and stuff for a character who went from one setting to another by reincarnating...

Error, insufficient data?

I mean, usually when people reincarnate they become a completely different person, or an animals, or some sort of angel in a semi-paradise where they can spend their good karma for 30.000 years or so. Even with the information that he used to be some sort of reasonably realistic person from this world, which is kind of a broad category to begin with, that leaves approximately every build ever open for you. (Excluding the immortal ones who have existed since the dawn of time.)

So...

A bloodrager minotaur whose blood is infused with the essence of time? Who also likes to bake cupcakes?

Red Fel
2016-03-09, 02:41 PM
What would be a good class and race and build and stuff for a character who went from one setting to another by reincarnating...

Error, insufficient data?

This. Open-ended question is open-ended.

Still, I'll spit out some random ideas, taken from this link (http://tinyurl.com/pqgoukp) (which I got from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?480735-Here-s-some-****in-D-amp-D-Minimalist-Roleplaying-and-****)):
A loud Dragonborn Monk from the lizard-infested marshlands who hates being made to wait.
A cheerful Elf Druid from an underwater city once kept dry by a magical force field who hates the written word.
A morose Halfling Fighter from a run-down tavern who is a compulsive liar.
A headstrong Dragonborn Sorcerer from a line of fallen royalty who never got the proper training.
A bigoted Gnome Druid from the treeless forest who had their lost legs replaced with enchanted wood.
Now, if you want me to come up with my own ideas, instead of just copy-pasting them from a random generator site with rough language, I'm going to need an idea of what you're actually asking.

Hiro
2016-03-09, 02:45 PM
Ok probably not the best idea is it.

Oh well.

Red Fel
2016-03-09, 03:02 PM
Ok probably not the best idea is it.

Oh well.

It's not a bad idea. It's an incomplete idea. It's like if I said, "I need help to stat this character. He's from Mars." That's an absolutely meaningless statement. It is devoid of anything helpful.

That's not to say one couldn't make a character from Mars. But we'd need more. Is he inspired by his Roman war god-named planet towards martial pursuits? Does he cast red-themed spells? Has operating in different gravity resulted in physical differences? These are seeds that can help expand the concept.

So far, you've told us the character is reincarnated, and is in Golarion. That's not enough. It could be a start, if you gave us more.

Or give up. Your call.

Hiro
2016-03-09, 03:51 PM
First off: Wow i"m honored you responded to this thread Red Fel, I thought we had to say your name three times to summon you.

Well I'm having trouble describing it a little

But the char starts off as normal person on this version of earth; industrialized, mundane, etc and so on.

Someone that always had the feeling of being 'born out of time' and such with interest in combat styles or the like fromthe past.

The character had no strong attachment to the world and instead of moving on to an afterlife, the soul stepped ino the Lake of Reflections in purgatory and was subsumed by it, eliminating it's past memories, karma etc and sent back into the world; But due to the pool shifting; instead of earth; the soul descends to Golarion instead.

basically a normal human on earth dies and with a soul screaming out for something different; gets sent elsewhere instead.

Red Fel
2016-03-09, 04:15 PM
First off: Wow i"m honored you responded to this thread Red Fel, I thought we had to say your name three times to summon you.

Well I'm having trouble describing it a little

But the char starts off as normal person on this version of earth; industrialized, mundane, etc and so on.

Someone that always had the feeling of being 'born out of time' and such with interest in combat styles or the like fromthe past.

The character had no strong attachment to the world and instead of moving on to an afterlife, the soul stepped ino the Lake of Reflections in purgatory and was subsumed by it, eliminating it's past memories, karma etc and sent back into the world; But due to the pool shifting; instead of earth; the soul descends to Golarion instead.

basically a normal human on earth dies and with a soul screaming out for something different; gets sent elsewhere instead.

See, you haven't actually told us anything about the person, is the point. So unless he comes into Golarion as a fully-formed adult with pre-existing memories and training, I'm guessing he will have to learn things like classes and such, and knowing something about him as a person would probably help determine where he's likely to lean.

For example, an engineer in this world would probably make a pretty good Wizard in Golarion - it's an Int-based skillset where you break down the rules and mechanics and dissect how a thing works, except the "thing" in this case is less "a device" and more "the universe." Also good for a physicist or mathematician.

An SCA person, or Ren Faire enthusiast, or even LARPer, might be more interested in the opportunity to live the life of a medieval-style soldier or knight, so Fighter becomes an option.

A guy who spent time standing around behind buildings, generally being angry at the world for not being able to do whatever he wanted right now, might go Barbarian, or Sorcerer, or something like that. And so forth.

Again, the idea is interesting, but it would really help to know more about the person.

Hiro
2016-03-09, 05:29 PM
Sorry.

No, I'm going by what the Occult Adventure's book says about the afterlife is that being subsumed in the Lake of Reflections has like 99% of their past life and experiences erased, except for the things that mattered the most due to the soul having an extremely strong hold on them.

But the person in question is someone that is indeed a Ren-Faire enthusiast but also has a bit of a wild imagination and has good bursts of creativity (like oh say someone that did alot of writing.). But had a view on religion that oft got them in trouble by honestly having Druidic type beliefs. (which is probably what lead to the urge to reincarnate that the soul experienced that drew it into the lake for it to happen)

But also someone that wanted to "not be human' anymore, seeing themselves as mundane, boring, and had a bit of a crappy self-image. to give a comparison: probably with relatively good Int and Wis but dumped Cha almost and hated themselves for it.

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-09, 06:28 PM
Hm. There are definitely some interesting things that could be done with that character. Here's a couple ideas:

Druid is an obvious choice; it matches their past life's spiritual beliefs, they'd likely have the Wisdom for it, and given their poor self-image they'd love to spend time in animal forms. Sure, there are plenty of non-human player races in Golarion, but it's unlikely that pointy ears and low-light vision would fix the underlying psychological factors of their self-esteem issues. They could easily still see themselves as boring and mundane despite their spellcasting, too - maybe they feel as if they're only channeling a small portion of nature's inherent magic rather than enacting anything themselves, and follow the Druidic traditions to bring their spirit closer to the world. That particular angle fits quite well in Golarion, because the planet was assembled as a prison for Rovagug and the echoes of the magic that did that could easily be part of the power source for druid spellcasting.

Bard could also be interesting. They're creative, capable with swords, non-religious, and most of the ren-faire enthusiasts I know would probably kill for some Bard levels. Whether this angle would work depends on whether you want to keep the middling-low Charisma.

Alternately, consider Cleric. In their previous life they may not have adhered to a theist faith, but Golarion has a large number of very active deities. It's definitely possible for someone who would've rejected Abrahamic faiths to nonetheless find themselves drawn to religions led by undeniably powerful entities, and end up following the tenets of a deity who seems to have mortals' best interests at heart.

Hiro
2016-03-09, 06:42 PM
Those are all really good ideas Anchovies.

Though I'd see a bit of the "barbarian" heritage showing up, like being born to Golarion may set loose that inner need Like after the first time they have to kill someone for whatever reason (self defense likely). They find that they like it. far more than they thought. In their previous life perhaps they wanted to do just that but knew that laws were much more strict and jailtime would really suck. (given not as bad a stay in a dungeon.)

Though it's stated in the little bit I wrote for this story is that the reason they're getting allowed to do this is that they got an unfair deal in the last life. With a sympathetic angel (OOTS style! for a bit of a laugh) points out that they never had a chance at finding love witha real soul mate since that person was not born on Earth.

At the start the motivatin force to adventure IS to find that person, driven by need of one's soul itself.

Âmesang
2016-03-09, 08:39 PM
A cheerful Elf Druid from an underwater city once kept dry by a magical force field who hates the written word.

Now I can't help but wonder why the druid's magical force field hates the written word. Was this force field struck by a thrown book? :smallfrown:

Hiro
2016-03-10, 03:15 PM
Or was raised by goblins. XD

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-10, 04:07 PM
There's the Reanimated Medium, where you're essentially a ghost possessing your own body and channeling your own potential futures. Seems easy enough to adjust-- you'd essentially be possessing a random soulless body instead of your own, I suppose.

Hiro
2016-03-10, 04:43 PM
LIke an android body and pulling yourself out the electric womb in Numeria? XD