PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Combat style

TheCrowing1432
2016-03-09, 03:21 PM
The ranger combat style says you cannot use them if you are wearing anything heavier then light armor, is there a way around this?

IcarusWulfe
2016-03-09, 03:59 PM
You will be able to wear medium armors if you make them out of mithral.

DrMotives
2016-03-09, 06:28 PM
You will be able to wear medium armors if you make them out of mithral.

Well, sure that's because mithril medium armor is light. Just like medium dragoncrafted dragonhide armor is also light. But other than special materials, you might be left with just homebrew workarounds.

Deadline
2016-03-09, 06:35 PM
Well, sure that's because mithril medium armor is light. Just like medium dragoncrafted dragonhide armor is also light. But other than special materials, you might be left with just homebrew workarounds.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Dwarf substitution level for Ranger that let you wear heavy armor and still benefit. Don't have my copy of races of stone though.

Aleolus
2016-03-09, 11:20 PM
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Dwarf substitution level for Ranger that let you wear heavy armor and still benefit. Don't have my copy of races of stone though.

Not as far as I remember. At least, not in that book. RoS has racial sub levels for Dwarf Cleric, Dwarf Fighter and Dwarf Sorc, all the others are for Gnomes and Goliaths

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-09, 11:44 PM
I can't imagine you're likely to find anything. Heavier armor goes against the ranger archetype. Mobility is key for someone who lives by tracking game or people and who focuses oon skirmisher style combat; archery wants you to keep away from your enemies and twf is all about taking down an enemy quickly, neither of which can be done easiy if you're weighed down in medium or heavy armor.

My advice; get a mithral breastplate as soon as you can reasonably afford it and start layering defensive magic into that. Otherwise you're probably going to have to just eat those dex requirements either natively or by acquiring some gloves of dexterity. Do note that the gloves of the balanced hand are a thing.

Thurbane
2016-03-10, 12:00 AM

You'd think so, wouldn't you. None that I am aware of.

I've often considered homebrewing this into my own games.

With Mithril construction and the Lightweight/Halfweight (can never remember the name, it's in an FR book) enhancement, you can tromp around in Mechanus Gear and still use your fighting styles. :smallwink: