PDA

View Full Version : New to Epic Advice Request

Exthalion
2016-03-09, 05:09 PM
I have played enough 3.5 to be familiar with the mechanics while lacking mastery.

While it is probably foolishness to attempt epic with that degree of knowledge, there have been epic games with a premise I would have loved to explore but my lack of sufficient faculty meant I had to pass them up.

So, is there anything like an handbook for epic play or does anyone have any advice?

For high level play in general, what should by the target for saves, AC, etc.? Is it worth always buying the upgrade for your belt of strength as soon as you can afford it? Do wizards need to stock up on pearls of power?

Doctor Despair
2016-03-09, 05:22 PM
You should check out Deities and Demigods, maybe. There's a lot of epic stuff there. As for what to target... it depends, really, on what you want to do. If you're a fighter, it's probably going to be a game of rocket tag because at that level you will probably one-shot any enemy or enemies that are put in front of you -- or they will one-shot you, barring protective spells. If you are a wizard, things get a lot more complicated, but amount to you never actually being in any danger ever and essentially being able to select whatever tools you want for the situation at hand. As a warrior, you buff your to-hit and damage in all likelihood to target their AC and health. As a wizard, you buff everything to target anything. It's really hard to be more specific than that without more information. Yes, you want gear, but your WBL should give you more money than you know what to do with.

Urpriest
2016-03-09, 05:45 PM
Deities and Demigods seems pretty irrelevant.

The central question for Epic play is: Epic Spells or no Epic Spells? If Epic Spells are allowed, how are they being balanced?

Basically, if Epic Spells are allowed, unless they're nerfed into oblivion, then you essentially have to have access to Epic Spells to be able to compete. (Note that a party member having access is also reasonable, if often less fun, many of the best Epic spells are long-term buffs.)

Melee damage swings from less than useful to one of the most reliable ways to deal with threats. Epic monsters tend to have immunity to pretty much every sort of crowd control tactic, but very few are immune to straight-up damage.

Epic is one of those things that varies tremendously based on how much optimization is being used, and can go all the way from "normal but with bigger numbers" to "how Tippy plays, but with less restraint". Definitely get a handle on your group's preferences before you begin.

Maxrim
2016-03-09, 05:53 PM
At Epic, you want to keep everything up. You should maintain contingent revivify, at least one 50% miss chance, AC at least 3 times your level, you want saves and Spell Resistance of at least twice your level, though the spell resistance can be hard if you're not a deity, 17 + level is good enough (12+level+5 from Daazix's vest). Immunity to crits, death, mind affecting effects, and energy types are important. A reasonable quantity/quality of DR is nice, though a starmantle effect can sub for that.

You want to be able to target at least two defenses regardless of who you are, and if you can only target two, you want to be REALLY DAMN GOOD at at least one of them. If your goal is to hit your opponent, you want to ignore all miss chances (Seeking, Awesome Smite, Sorcerer's Gaze), have a to-hit at least 5 times your level (Shiba Protector, Battle Dance [the epic feat], charming the arrow, splitting and woodland archer, and/or Zen Archery help), and you want the weapons or ability to bypass DR (shadowstriking, force arrows, transmuting) to supplement your egregious damage.

Epic Spellcasting is horribly designed, not only is it broken, but it rewards unfun spells. +50 Spell Resistance is easier than a half assed fireball.
I'd advise using alternative systems, like this one:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?37410-Epic-Metamagic-replaces-Epic-Spellcasting
I also use a homebrewed system I call Paragon Spells, where you can learn 10th level and higher effects through expanded spell knowledge.

In order to curb some of the other common silliness, putting hard limits on immunity to celerity's daze and on time stopping in a time stop is helpful.

2016-03-09, 06:11 PM
I have played enough 3.5 to be familiar with the mechanics while lacking mastery.

While it is probably foolishness to attempt epic with that degree of knowledge, there have been epic games with a premise I would have loved to explore but my lack of sufficient faculty meant I had to pass them up.

So, is there anything like an handbook for epic play or does anyone have any advice?

Probably not. The fact of the matter is that epic play isn't all that different from normal play except in scale. Think of it this way: it doesn't make any sense to have a "non-epic handbook", because building is complicated, and epic has even more levels to work with than non-epic does (since epic is everything above 20). What you'll be looking for is "Handbook for Epic (Blank)", which blank being whatever you want to play, or you're looking for a "Handbook for (Blank)" that has an epic section.

For high level play in general, what should by the target for saves, AC, etc.?

What AC/Saves/Attack bonuses you need kinda depends on the optimization of the foes you face; generally speaking, you can find a good benchmark by looking through monsters of CR=Your Level. How often would a save of +X save against their save DCs? How often would you hit them? How often would they hit you? Figuring out these question helps you develop a good benchmark.

Of course, in high-op play, the answer to "how high should my save be" is "if you don't have immunity, don't bother", and the answer to "how high should my AC be" is "don't give them a chance to attack you", but that's irrelevant at most char-op levels.

Is it worth always buying the upgrade for your belt of strength as soon as you can afford it?

I am generally of the opinion that the stat-boosting items are severely overpriced for what they give you, especially for higher-op games. I'm almost positive there's cheaper ways to get +3 attack damage, whether through existing items or mimicking a spell. In really high op, this is particularly true, since you can spend a week in the Otyugh Hole (3000 gp) and buy a couple spells (~4000 each) to Dark Chaos Shuffle Iron Will into Great X, whatever stat X is for you. Doing that twice costs a lot less than upgrading a magic item to epic tier.

Do wizards need to stock up on pearls of power?

There's probably better ways to extend your spells per day, such as boosting your casting stat, Rings of Wizardry, or what have you. Stockpiling PoPs probably isn't necessary, no.

Cosi
2016-03-09, 06:17 PM
I am generally of the opinion that the stat-boosting items are severely overpriced for what they give you, especially for higher-op games. I'm almost positive there's cheaper ways to get +3 attack damage, whether through existing items or mimicking a spell. In really high op, this is particularly true, since you can spend a week in the Otyugh Hole (3000 gp) and buy a couple spells (~4000 each) to Dark Chaos Shuffle Iron Will into Great X, whatever stat X is for you. Doing that twice costs a lot less than upgrading a magic item to epic tier.

There are easier ways to do the Dark Chaos Shuffle. heroics, the Difference Engine (trade away your 12th level feat, lose level, gain new feat when you regain your level), swearing yourself to an Elder Evil (presumably limited in scope by the number of existing Elder Evils), I think true reincarnate and racial bonus feats, or just Weapons of Legacy.

Also, I don't know that high-OP epic campaigns spend much time worrying about money.

2016-03-09, 06:32 PM
There are easier ways to do the Dark Chaos Shuffle. heroics, the Difference Engine (trade away your 12th level feat, lose level, gain new feat when you regain your level), swearing yourself to an Elder Evil (presumably limited in scope by the number of existing Elder Evils), I think true reincarnate and racial bonus feats, or just Weapons of Legacy.

Also, I don't know that high-OP epic campaigns spend much time worrying about money.

I'm aware that there's lots of ways to pull off the Dark Chaos Shuffle. I used the example I used because it's all very clear-cut by the rules, the bonus feat granted isn't temporary (useful since I've seen plenty of people take issue with using Heroics, the Difference Engine, and similar methods), and it provides a direct comparison via gold pieces, which was the only point of bringing it up at all in that particular context.

And that kind of depends on your definition of "High-Op"; DCS at all is probably High-Op for the OP, but as it stands it's pretty mid-op, on the scale of everything 3.5 has to offer.

AmberVael
2016-03-09, 06:32 PM
... or does anyone have any advice?

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE.

With that out of the way... advice, in no particular order other than the first one which is most important:

For high level play in general, what should by the target for saves, AC, etc.? Is it worth always buying the upgrade for your belt of strength as soon as you can afford it? Do wizards need to stock up on pearls of power?
There is no target that anyone can reasonably give. By the time you hit epic, game balance has completely escaped the grasp of the system, and its up to players and DMs to decide where the balance point they want to strive for is. As such, it is exceptionally important that when playing an epic game you and all others involved understand the system - because without that, you'll be flailing around wildly with no common reference point.
In short, toss this entire expectation out the window. What numbers are good? Depends on the game. Is it worth buying something? Depends on the game. Now, obviously this dynamic has always existed in D&D to an extent, but all the little details and bits and pieces are hugely exaggerated and exacerbated in epic.
(Note, a lot of the time you'll see people absurdly optimizing in epic. Its not necessary for an epic game to be highly optimized, though don't try and join one of these high op games without an optimized character).

Don't use epic spellcasting. Just don't. Seriously. Its terrible, and you're seriously better off throwing it into the garbage and just making up your own ideas.

Don't use epic monsters either. They're really badly designed, and due to what I said about there being no targets, the CR system is even worse than normal. And by 'worse' I mean 'nonfunctional.' Add in that the ability of certain classes and abilities to completely obviate certain types of encounters is now more prevalent and readily available than ever before, and monsters should really just be custom designed for the party, otherwise they'll end up stomped or the party will end up crushed into jello. But generally the former, because the epic monsters are designed like crap.

Most epic magic items are absurdly overpriced. You're generally better off stacking on more unusual bonuses and the like from non-epic items and just filling up your lists of options and immunities than springing for that extra +2 to an ability or +1 to weapon or armor.

Exthalion
2016-03-10, 01:52 AM
Thank you very much to everyone who has posted a reply! It clears up at least part of the problem I was having grocing epic, there is no specific thing to grasp.

Some more specific questions then, if anyone is willing to offering their insights:
1. How do casters contribute? Most spells cap out at some point while the hp, saves, etc. keep inflating. Is there some cap breaking method that is the sine qua non of epic casters or do you change focus? I don't imagine buffing or terrain spells have any problem with enemy saves.

2. Also about casters, assuming no Epic Spells, does the general suit of 9th level spells remain relevant or do you need to start aiming for tricks like quickened maximized timestop (not sure if that is actually good)

3. Are Theurge type builds viable in the sense that they can finally get max level spells?

4. What is the first thing you should be doing in epic (with your early epic levels)? Is it better to go broad or deep? Like should casters try to max out Ur-Priest or instead just add another crazy PrC like whichever of IotSV or Incantatrix they didn't take? I know those classes are OP, Archmage or Geometer could also work as examples.

5. How relevant are low level things? Is an epic character wasting their time ruling a kingdom because all those level 1 commoners together couldn't meaningfully contribute at this scale? Should PCs be running off to kill Orcus because mere dragons aren't a threat anymore?

I know this all depends on the group, but I hope some consensus has sort of emerged about these kinds of things.

2016-03-10, 03:07 AM
1. How do casters contribute? Most spells cap out at some point while the hp, saves, etc. keep inflating. Is there some cap breaking method that is the sine qua non of epic casters or do you change focus? I don't imagine buffing or terrain spells have any problem with enemy saves.

...how do caster contribute? By being capable of doing things fighters can't replicate, and more importantly, by having access to a near-bottomless bag of tricks that let them temporarily specialize in a particular direction. There is virtually no monster, no group, no enemy you face, that does not have a weak point. When your options are limited to "I full attack again", you are predictable...and any enemy that can't be overcome by full attacks is one you can't beat. A greatsword, ultimately, has limited reach, attacks AC, and deals HP damage, while a spell could be any of thousands of possible solutions...and spells tend to be very versatile, even individually. Let's put it this way:
At 5th lvl, a Wizard gains the ability to fly, to toss around magic grenades, and to grant his allies supernatural speed. At 5th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.
At 7th lvl, a Wizard gain the ability to teleport short distances, to observe targets from long distances, and to turn into a wide variety of creatures. At 7th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.
At 9th lvl, a Wizard gains the ability to teleport vast distances, to crush an opponent's mind into submission, and to move heavy objects with his mind. At 9th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.
At 11th lvl, a Wizard gains the ability to see like Superman can, to toss bolts of lightning that arc between multiple enemies, and to straight up disintegrate things. At 11th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.
At 13th lvl, a Wizard gains the ability to cross dimensional barriers, to weaponize magic rainbows, to control the weather, and to reverse the flow of gravity in a small area. At 13th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.
At 15th lvl, a Wizard gains the ability summon and bind powerful beings, to create a clone of themselves in case of death, and to turn anything into anything else. At 15th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.
At 17th lvl, a Wizard gains the ability to rain down meteors from the sky, to grant his own wishes, and to press the pause button on reality. At 17th lvl, a Fighter gets more BAB.

Does the Fighter get bonus feats too? Sure...but there aren't any feats that grant wishes, there aren't any feats to control the weather, there aren't any feats that let you teleport. Actually, that's not true: Leadership does all those things and more...if your cohort is a caster, but that kind of ruins the point, don't it?

To answer the second part of your question, there's ways of bypassing caps on spells, including some epic metamagic, but a lot of the better spells don't have any caps, and there's some spells that are still pretty good even with caps.

2. Also about casters, assuming no Epic Spells, does the general suit of 9th level spells remain relevant or do you need to start aiming for tricks like quickened maximized timestop (not sure if that is actually good)

If you have the right spells, even some 1st lvl spells are still relevant (the usual suspect is Silent Image); however, having those kind of metamagic tricks are definitely useful, especially against other epic casters.

3. Are Theurge type builds viable in the sense that they can finally get max level spells?

Theurge builds are generally only "terrible" in the sense that they're worse than straight casters, and a lot of the downsides go away once you get to epic, especially if you've built you way around the downsides in other ways. So yes, they're viable in epic, and let you burn lots of spells to pull off wonderful effects.

4. What is the first thing you should be doing in epic (with your early epic levels)? Is it better to go broad or deep? Like should casters try to max out Ur-Priest or instead just add another crazy PrC like whichever of IotSV or Incantatrix they didn't take? I know those classes are OP, Archmage or Geometer could also work as examples.

Whatever best fits your build. If you haven't reached full Ur-Priest casting, go for that (whether from Ur-Priest levels or PrCs that advance casting). Already maxed that out? Add some new tricks with a new PrC, or a new base class, or more of the original base class. Building doesn't really change much between non-epic and epic, with one exception: BAB and Base saves upgrade by the epic track, which means classes that normally get bad saves don't have that downside, while classes that get good BAB don't get that upside anymore.

5. How relevant are low level things? Is an epic character wasting their time ruling a kingdom because all those level 1 commoners together couldn't meaningfully contribute at this scale? Should PCs be running off to kill Orcus because mere dragons aren't a threat anymore?

Kingdom building is good epic material if it's the right kind of game for it...and a well played dragon is quite threatening even into epic, as long as they're of an appropriate level. Most of the more powerful dragons have casting of their own, on top of being a giant, super-tough, super-fast flying, element-breathing mastermind badass.

Âmesang
2016-03-10, 06:52 AM
I think due to the nature of the epic progression they're effectively the same as "good saves"—character level ÷ 2. All you're missing is the "+2" that a new class might grant.

Then again you receive an epic attack bonus in the same manner, so every character 21st level and higher effectively progresses the same way as a wizard… with no increase to iterative attacks.

I'm a proponent of "epic spellcasting," but only under the assumption that the referee and player choose to utilize it in a… "sensible manner," for lack of a better phrase. I love the idea of being able to wield titanic spells culled from the hoary mists of legend, the "magic of the gods," powers not wielded since the days of the Netherese Empire and Suel Imperium… and I'm also fine with the idea that such powers have a cost, whether its strictly in the form of the gold, experience, and time needed to develop it, or mitigating factors such as backlash damage, experience costs, and time required for casting.

I'm not too keen on the idea of "mitigating down to zero," so if I were to run an epic game I think I'd have to modify the ritual casting option to be applied "on the fly," such as having every 6th-level spell slot spent affecting one additional target and increasing the range by 50%, keeping the initial Spellcraft DC the same.

Karsus' avatar took the guy ten years to develop. :smalltongue: Certainly it shouldn't be too unreasonable to have a modern-day spellcaster spend a couple of weeks to develop an epic spell; plus it might provide some semblance of "balance" (again, bad term), having the fighter-type spend the majority of his funds on items while the caster spends the majority on epic spells.

Cosi
2016-03-10, 08:04 AM

Most of the good spells (i.e. save or dies, battlefield control, buffs, minions) are uncapped. Also, metamagic stacking or epic spellcasting.

It's hard to say. There aren't really enough challenges to effectively say what an epic character "should" be able to beat. Obviously, you can continue to use shapechange or gate essentially indefinitely (as the power those give you is all but infinite), but you can also use metamagic to great effect. It depends on what you expect to face.

They can't really get max level spells, because they stopped having theurge levels to take a while ago, but the cost of being a theurge does finally start falling in epic. It's a mixed bag, but certainly workable.

It doesn't matter much. You're probably better off going wide, because most of what makes your core competencies better at this point is feats, and you get those regardless.

Not any more so than you were for the last five or ten levels. A kingdom is largely flavor text once you can kill an entire army and fight enemies that do the same, but that doesn't make it meaningless.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-10, 08:25 AM
Another good way to understand epic might be to read The Tales of Wyre (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?58227-Tales-of-Wyre).

It's a DM, Sepulchrave, writing out --fairly skillfully-- in story form the game he and four players (paladin, wizard/alienist, druid, fighter/rogue/bard) were playing over the course of a few years. The DM was doing a Ph.D. in religious studies at the time, so the tale involves a lot of moral dilemmas, demons, and a schism developing in the paladin's church.

The tale begins with the players at about 15 level and progresses into epic levels. (It's also written as the group was transitioning from 3.0 to 3.5, I believe.) It gives a good illustration of the kind of scale and level of play that is possible.

It's also a damn fun read.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-10, 09:53 AM
The DM was doing a Ph.D. in religious studies at the time, so the tale involves a lot of moral dilemmas, demons, and a schism developing in the paladin's church.Aaaaand that pretty much kills it.

Maxrim
2016-03-11, 06:40 PM
Hiro, I've been spending my spare time reading that since I saw you post it, and I need to both thank you and blame you for me not having prep ready for the session I'm running this weekend. That is fantastic.

Godskook
2016-03-11, 07:56 PM
They can't really get max level spells, because they stopped having theurge levels to take a while ago, but the cost of being a theurge does finally start falling in epic. It's a mixed bag, but certainly workable.

1.Epic progression is a thing that theurge classes have.

2.Theurge classes stack with similar classes. Arcane Heirophant+Mystic Theurge is stronger in epic than a pure wizard is, although the loss of epic bonus feats(from not having wizard 20 or a good epic feat progression prestige class), and prestige class features from other prestige classes might make it not worth it.

@OP, "theurge" builds(including gishs-types) do fairly well in epic, depending on how they're designed. Caster progression is no longer a handicap, but loss of epic feat progression -is-, and the Mystic Theurge epic progression sucks. Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Enhanced Spell(and other metamagics) all make being a caster *MUCH* better in epic progression, although frankly, the system would feel 99% better if A)base feat progression were sped up and/or B)epic class progressions didn't grant feats. I feel like B especially was a design mistake that prevents players from experiencing the diverse content of 3.5 to instead get another feat that says +1 spell level.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-11, 08:07 PM

2.Theurge classes stack with similar classes. Arcane Heirophant+Mystic Theurge is stronger in epic than a pure wizard is, although the loss of epic bonus feats(from not having wizard 20 or a good epic feat progression prestige class), and prestige class features from other prestige classes might make it not worth it.

@OP, "theurge" builds(including gishs-types) do fairly well in epic, depending on how they're designed. Caster progression is no longer a handicap, but loss of epic feat progression -is-, and the Mystic Theurge epic progression sucks. Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Enhanced Spell(and other metamagics) all make being a caster *MUCH* better in epic progression, although frankly, the system would feel 99% better if A)base feat progression were sped up and/or B)epic class progressions didn't grant feats. I feel like B especially was a design mistake that prevents players from experiencing the diverse content of 3.5 to instead get another feat that says +1 spell level.Avoid epic mystic theurge at all costs. Look at its casting progression. It's worse than alternating wizard with cleric, because at least then you get familiar progression with wizard and extra hp with cleric.

Cosi
2016-03-11, 08:11 PM

That helps, but you're still five levels behind theurge progression (because you couldn't take those levels pre-epic), which is already three levels behind regular progression. You're progressing again, but you're getting abilities from someone you wouldn't get XP for defeating.

Yes, you can stack theurges. For a very small number of combos. IIRC it's that, psionics + arcane, and divine + vestiges (if you get an Anima Mage divine variant approved). And you have to give up being an Incantatrix, Shadowcraft Mage, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, or literally any other PrC.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-11, 11:20 PM
Hiro, I've been spending my spare time reading that since I saw you post it, and I need to both thank you and blame you for me not having prep ready for the session I'm running this weekend. That is fantastic.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, when I found it (linked from a thread about philosophy in game settings, storylines, PC characters, etc.). It's a very alluring rabbit hole into which one can sink some time.

Magma Armor0
2016-03-12, 02:42 PM
Since people here seem to be mainly discussing classes, I'll talk equipment for a bit.

As a caster, I have found the Rod of Excellent Magic (ELH 138) to be invaluable--2000EXP contributed daily to spellcasting means a whole host of permanancied effects, or reduced costs for custom epic spells, or the more mundane, intended uses of making uberspells cheaper.
Rod of Epic Negation is huge too, but only if you are fighting equipped characters often, instead of "an even biggerer dragon"; functioning as a dispel (that only targets items, admittedly) with no save for the item in question.

The Everwhirling chain is good for tripper melee builds, but is really pricey.

There's a set of mirrors on page 262 of the DMG that feel like the book's authors never accounted for players possessing them. The Mirror of Life Trapping is cool, but at epic level it's basically 1/20 enemies end immediately (because they'll only fail the save on a 1), and you don't even have to put effort into looting the bodies; the mirror does it for you. The Mirror of Mental Prowess is better, functioning just like every mirror in a Disney film.
The real fun, though, comes from the mirror of opposition. For only 92,000 gold, a surface to put it on, and a command word, you duplicate 1 enemy 4 times per day, except that the clone immediately attacks the original. Suddenly, bossfights become the boss vs. the boss AND your party. Just don't look into it after you say the command word! ;)

Ioun Stones are great at Epic level because you'll probably have more items than space on your body to use them, so slotless boosts are appreciated.
On a similar note, Artificers are often greatly appreciated at Epic levels, because they can create all these fun items that the party wants to dominate with.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-12, 02:58 PM
Since people here seem to be mainly discussing classes, I'll talk equipment for a bit.

As a caster, I have found the Rod of Excellent Magic (ELH 138) to be invaluable--2000EXP contributed daily to spellcasting means a whole host of permanancied effects, or reduced costs for custom epic spells, or the more mundane, intended uses of making uberspells cheaper.
Rod of Epic Negation is huge too, but only if you are fighting equipped characters often, instead of "an even biggerer dragon"; functioning as a dispel (that only targets items, admittedly) with no save for the item in question.

The Everwhirling chain is good for tripper melee builds, but is really pricey.

There's a set of mirrors on page 262 of the DMG that feel like the book's authors never accounted for players possessing them. The Mirror of Life Trapping is cool, but at epic level it's basically 1/20 enemies end immediately (because they'll only fail the save on a 1), and you don't even have to put effort into looting the bodies; the mirror does it for you. The Mirror of Mental Prowess is better, functioning just like every mirror in a Disney film.
The real fun, though, comes from the mirror of opposition. For only 92,000 gold, a surface to put it on, and a command word, you duplicate 1 enemy 4 times per day, except that the clone immediately attacks the original. Suddenly, bossfights become the boss vs. the boss AND your party. Just don't look into it after you say the command word! ;)

Ioun Stones are great at Epic level because you'll probably have more items than space on your body to use them, so slotless boosts are appreciated.
On a similar note, Artificers are often greatly appreciated at Epic levels, because they can create all these fun items that the party wants to dominate with.I'd definitely stick with non-epic items, as most epic items are "meh" by comparison, and spending the absurd amounts of money that epic items cost is just wasteful. So unless there's an epic item without a non-epic equivalent that you absolutely MUST have, avoid epic stuff whenever possible.

That rod of excellent magic, for instance, is bettered by a colossal margin by a negative level and a single casting of greater restoration. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-212408.html) A few nested thought bottles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?217819-Nesting-Thought-Bottles-millions-of-wishes) can nab you millions of extra XP for an initial cost of a mere 500 XP (which should easily last you the rest of the campaign and then some).

A pair of mirrors of opposition can give you permanent doubles of all your equipment if you know what you're doing, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) which can turn your single thought bottle into two, then into four, then into eight, and so on.

And as for epic weapons, there are plenty of ways to get +6 enhancement bonuses without paying epic prices (like (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaphysicalWeapon.htm) these) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#bane), and it's not hard at all to stack weapon abilities to the point where you have +40 equivalent or better, pre-epic. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863)

So, yeah. Avoid all the absurdly priced and utterly underwhelming crap they try to foist off on you in epic levels. Sell your epic loot and buy or craft non-epic stuff, instead.

[edit] Protip: Use the item combination rules in the MIC to avoid having too many items and too few slots.

atemu1234
2016-03-13, 03:58 AM
Another good way to understand epic might be to read The Tales of Wyre (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?58227-Tales-of-Wyre).

It's a DM, Sepulchrave, writing out --fairly skillfully-- in story form the game he and four players (paladin, wizard/alienist, druid, fighter/rogue/bard) were playing over the course of a few years. The DM was doing a Ph.D. in religious studies at the time, so the tale involves a lot of moral dilemmas, demons, and a schism developing in the paladin's church.

The tale begins with the players at about 15 level and progresses into epic levels. (It's also written as the group was transitioning from 3.0 to 3.5, I believe.) It gives a good illustration of the kind of scale and level of play that is possible.

It's also a damn fun read.

An interesting thing, I'll have to give it a read.