PDA

View Full Version : Bigby tasha etc spells in FR

Ewhit
2016-03-09, 06:57 PM
I'm sure everyone knows that the named spells are from great heroes villains in Greyhawk does anyone change the names in FR or do you place those heroes in FR .

SharkForce
2016-03-09, 08:15 PM
iirc the 3.x FR manual had replacement names.

personally, i wouldn't care enough to change it though.

mer.c
2016-03-09, 08:21 PM
I always just imagined the ones setting the naming conventions for each realm (the mages themselves) are aware enough of other planes that they all subscribe to some sort of Academy of the Codex Arcana in Sigil or something.

Or Mystra/whoever's doing that thing now (wait, is she alive again now? Then Mystra again) is pulling some strings for the sake of us mere mortals trying to keep the names straight. :smallsmile:

JumboWheat01
2016-03-09, 09:16 PM
Who's to say there weren't great wizards in the Realms who had the same names and came up with the same spells? Heck, in my hometown, I know at least a few other people with the same exact name I have. Names aren't THAT unique of a thing.

EvilestWeevil
2016-03-10, 12:06 AM
When my wizard Baeralorn casts those spells, they are Baeralorns Hideous Laughter, and Baeralorns Crushing Hand. Think of it more as a tradition of wizards to put their name in the title.

Madbox
2016-03-10, 12:54 PM
Who's to say there weren't great wizards in the Realms who had the same names and came up with the same spells? Heck, in my hometown, I know at least a few other people with the same exact name I have. Names aren't THAT unique of a thing.

So, sort of like Chuck Goodrich in Doctor McNinja?

JackPhoenix
2016-03-11, 08:38 AM
IIRC from olderr edition fluff, Mordenkainen and Elminster knew each other. There was some travel and informatione exchange between the settings, both through speljammers and planewalking wizards (and other spellcasters)

JumboWheat01
2016-03-11, 08:48 AM
IIRC from olderr edition fluff, Mordenkainen and Elminster knew each other. There was some travel and informatione exchange between the settings, both through speljammers and planewalking wizards (and other spellcasters)

More and more as I delve into magical whats-its, I'm starting to get a very strong "when in doubt, blame Elminster" feeling.