PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A javelin throwing???

kagetorashizuma
2016-03-10, 09:01 AM
hello everyone,

i,m makeing a fighter with javelins but now i trying to find on what i can throw strenght or dex.
i,m kinda in disscussion with my dm about it.
so who can help us with this

bjoern
2016-03-10, 09:05 AM
Thrown weapons use you Dex bonus for the attack roll and your strength bonus for the damage roll.

kagetorashizuma
2016-03-10, 09:06 AM
Thrown weapons use you Dex bonus for the attack roll and your strength bonus for the damage roll.

is there a way to throw on strenght?

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-10, 09:08 AM
Your attack bonus uses Dexterity, but you get Strength added to damage.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#attackBonus

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#strengthBonus

Note that there is a Feat called Brutal Throw (edit: it's in Complete Adventurer) which allows Strength to be used in place of Dexterity for the attack roll. Also check out the prestige class Master Thrower.

Happy gaming!

MisterKaws
2016-03-10, 09:29 AM
Stormlord is a good class for Javelin throwers too, assuming you don't want to have to buy a crapton of magic javelins. Just add that to the Gloves of Endless Javelins and you have a nice build.

Eloel
2016-03-10, 12:43 PM
And if you really want to throw stuff, check out Bloodstorm Blade in Tome of Battle.

Jowgen
2016-03-10, 12:59 PM
Dragon 304 p. 83 has some of the best throwing feats in game. I recommend checking them out.

Segev
2016-03-10, 01:21 PM
As a note, you can use both rapid shot and two-weapon fighting with javelins, as they're one-handed weapons and they're ranged weapons. This does make your off-hand weapon not-light, though, which comes with additional penalties to hit. (However, darts are light weapons...) It also does stack the to-hit penalties of rapid shot and TWF, so you're at something like -4 with your on-hand and -6 with your off-hand. But it is viable, especially if you have a high to-hit already.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-10, 01:28 PM
is there a way to throw on strenght?

Brutal throw in complete warrior.

Sian
2016-03-10, 02:56 PM
Also, if dead set on Javelins, It might be worth it to consider Tormtor School From Drow of the Underdark ... Whenever you hit someone with a Javalin in Melee, you can throw it as a ranged weapon as a swift action, giving you an extra attack. Pairs well with Bloodstorm Blade

Dread_Head
2016-03-10, 06:48 PM
Also, if dead set on Javelins, It might be worth it to consider Tormtor School From Drow of the Underdark ... Whenever you hit someone with a Javalin in Melee, you can throw it as a ranged weapon as a swift action, giving you an extra attack. Pairs well with Bloodstorm Blade

Combine with Hurling Charge to charge, throwing a javelin as you do so, stab someone with a javelin and then throw it at someone else. Pretty fun imagery and gets you a reasonable amount of attacks for the level. All those prereqs hurts though.

WeaselGuy
2016-03-11, 11:57 AM
How does Human Ranger 3/Fighter 1/Warblade 1/Master Thrower 5/Bloodstorm Blade 10 look?
Needs Dex 15 for Manyshot by level 18, but otherwise pump Strength for attack and damage.

Feats are:
1 - Point Blank Shot, Brutal Throw (Human)
2 - Two Weapon Fighting (Ranger)
3 - Precise Shot, Endurance (Ranger)
4 - Weapon Focus (Javelin) (Fighter)
6 - Tormtor School
9 - Hurling Charge
12 - Power Attack
13 - Improved Bull Rush (Bloodstorm Blade Fighter Feat)
15 - Shock Trooper
16 - Rapid Shot (Bloodstorm Blade Fighter Feat)
18 - Manyshot
19 - Improved Rapid Shot (Bloodstorm Blade Fighter Feat)

Warblade's Weapon Aptitude lets you change the Javelins out for other weapon's too, like the aforementioned Darts. You do still have to worry about enchanting a bunch of items, which is where the draw of Cleric/Stormlord becomes a little more ideal.

nedz
2016-03-11, 08:07 PM
As a note, you can use both rapid shot and two-weapon fighting with javelins, as they're one-handed weapons and they're ranged weapons. This does make your off-hand weapon not-light, though, which comes with additional penalties to hit. (However, darts are light weapons...) It also does stack the to-hit penalties of rapid shot and TWF, so you're at something like -4 with your on-hand and -6 with your off-hand. But it is viable, especially if you have a high to-hit already.

Javelins are of an undefined type as melee weapons - other than the -4 to hit.

Now logically they are one-handed weapons, but not by RAW.

They are neither light nor not light also.

Segev
2016-03-11, 09:10 PM
Javelins are of an undefined type as melee weapons - other than the -4 to hit.

Now logically they are one-handed weapons, but not by RAW.

They are neither light nor not light also.

I suppose, technically, then, since there is no category of penalty provided for using them with TWF, there is no to-hit penalty for doing so! >_> <_<

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-11, 09:21 PM
I suppose, technically, then, since there is no category of penalty provided for using them with TWF, there is no to-hit penalty for doing so! >_> <_<

IIRC, the phrasing of two weapon fighting rules says that the penalty inherent in fighting with two weapons is the given -6/-10 and that using light weapons and/or taking TWF reduces that penalty rather than the penalty being different given values dependent on whether or not you meet the given conditions.

As such, you'd be looking at the -4/-4 for twf but no light weapon.

zergling.exe
2016-03-11, 09:26 PM
IIRC, the phrasing of two weapon fighting rules says that the penalty inherent in fighting with two weapons is the given -6/-10 and that using light weapons and/or taking TWF reduces that penalty rather than the penalty being different given values dependent on whether or not you meet the given conditions.

As such, you'd be looking at the -4/-4 for twf but no light weapon.

There's also this paragraph:

Thrown Weapons:The same rules apply when you throw a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon.

Segev
2016-03-11, 09:33 PM
Well, that is definitive, I think!

Optimal use is probably javelin with dart in off-hand, unless you have feats that specialize in javelins sufficiently to make up for the extra penalties to hit.