PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A New Rage Mage

PeteNutButter
2016-03-10, 10:42 AM
I've seen a couple Rage Mage creations and honestly I've felt like they didn't capture the image enough in my opinion. One might ask why do we need this in 5e. Well as it stands if you count the ele monk, barbarian is the only class that doesn't have a spell casting option. And really its not just a checking the block feature, its an archetype that cannot exist in 5e without home-brewing past the "can't cast spells while raging" feature. The class is modeled around the EK, and is intended to be balanced both for MC caster dips or full 1-20 barbarian progression. I chose evocation and transmutation as the schools of choice, but in theory you could add abilities to compliment other schools. I mirrored the types of rages off of the berserker subclass but gave more options than just on or off. So without further ado I'll show you my version of the Rage Mage as a 5e barbarian subclass:

3rd Level
At third level you learn to cast spells as part of your sheer force of emotion. Follow the rules for EK caster, changing the schools of choice for the Rage Mage to Evocation and Transmutation, as Rage Mages are not concerned with abjuration. Charisma is your casting stat for your Rage Mage spells since your spells are based on your sheer power of will. You may use a melee weapon as an arcane focus for your spells. Use the wizard spell list when choosing spells.
Rage Casting
When you enter a rage you may choose to enter either an Altered Rage or Devastation Rage. During an Altered Rage you may cast and concentrate on transmutation spells and have advantage to maintain concentration on transmutation spells. During a Devastation Rage you may cast and concentrate on evocation spells and you can add your rage damage bonus to one damage roll of any spell you cast. During either of these rages you may attempt to cast a spell of a different school, but to do so you must succeed on a DC 10 Con Save concentration check. If you fail the check the action is lost, but the spell slot is not.
Reckless Casting
You may use your reckless attack feature with melee spell attacks.

6th Level
Spell Cleave
While raging whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points with a melee attack you may cast a spell with a casting time of one action as a bonus action.
Raging Transformation
Whenever you enter an Altered Rage you may cast a transmutation spell you know that targets only you, and has casting time of one action or a bonus action. Using this feature is part of the bonus action to enter the rage.
Raging Spell Blade
Whenever you enter a Devastation Rage you may cast an evocation spell you know as part of the bonus action to rage. The spell does not go off as normal, but is instead stored in a melee weapon you are holding. The next time you hit an enemy with that weapon before your rage ends the spell goes off as if it had targeted that enemy or that location. If the spell is incapable of targeting either the enemy or the location it has no effect and the spell is lost. If the spell requires a dexterity save the target struck has disadvantage on that saving throw.

10th Level
Rage Fueled Magic
Whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points while raging you may recover one expended Rage Mage spell slot of a spell level no higher than one less than the highest Rage Mage spell you know. You must take a long rest to use this feature again after using it a number of times equal to your charisma modifier (minimum one).
Rage Focused
While in an Altered Rage you may not lose concentration either from damage or willingly. You may still choose to end your rage early to break the concentration.
Fearless Evoker
While in a Devastation Rage you have resistance to damage from your own spells. Whenever you are subject to a saving throw from your own spell, enemies that can perceive you have disadvantage on their saving throw for that spell. In addition any enemies within 60 ft of the spells origin that had the ability to perceive the action are frightened until the start of their next turn unless they make a wisdom saving throw against DC 8+Charisma(Intimidation).

14th Level
Unending Assault
While raging whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points with a spell, you may take the attack action as a bonus action.
Enhanced Raging Transformation
The transmutation spell you cast when entering your rage, no longer requires concentration, and will last either until your rage ends or the spell duration elapses.
Enhanced Raging Spell Blade
You may now use the raging spell blade any time during your Devastation Rage as a bonus action. This is in addition to the turn you entered your rage.

So that's it. I'd like to hear your feedback. I could create other schooled options (Necromancy?) if someone wants. Is this too strong or too weak? Remember a lot of the abilities are tied to raging, and restricted to one or the other. Also a lot of the abilities are designed around the action economy to make a real gish feeling class, otherwise casting a 3rd level spell at 13th level is rather weak. The higher level abilities should be attractive to a multi-classed caster, but are far enough away that a it shouldn't be game breaking. I added the restriction on the schools of magic to create a balanced approach that has both limitations and meaningful choices. This should make shield spell spammers really consider the payoffs of multiclassing into this.

JBPuffin
2016-03-11, 12:46 AM
Spell Cleave+Unending Assault.

That is all.

Final Hyena
2016-03-11, 01:22 AM

That is all.

Are you trying to say it is the best option or broken?

Edit;
Anyway I would like to know why you went with charisma yet the wizard spell list, why not int and wizard, or charisma and sorcerer?

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 01:36 AM

That is all.
True, a bit strange

Are you trying to say it is the best option or broken?

Edit;
Anyway I would like to know why you went with charisma yet the wizard spell list, why not int and wizard, or charisma and sorcerer?

true, I'd prefer int but sorcerer list would work

I think this class is pretty balanced but some options are strange. Why choosing. Just give one of them each level. It would help balance since 3 levels of this gives a nice multiclass options. Barb/sorc instead of pala/sorc :smallsmile:

PeteNutButter
2016-03-11, 11:57 PM
As for Spell Cleave+Unending Assault remember you are limited to one bonus action.

I went with cha over int for better flavor, but the sorcerer list lacks some transmutation spells (for no apparent reason). Cha for flavor. Wizard spells for mechanics. There is really NO reason a sorcerer shouldn't be able to cast spells like longstrider. Consider it a shortcut to homebrew fixing the sorcerer list.

As for giving more abilities... as I said in the post I didn't want to make it bloated. As is it's better than the EK, and I can't justify giving the path features at more levels than all the other barbarian subclasses. It is a subclass after all. If you or your DM are ok with it, the spell cleave, rage fueled magic, and unending assault can be given in addition to the choice of the other two.

It's basically two paths that paint two pictures of a possible Rage Mage: A transmuter who really hulks out being able to cast things like ENLARGE (or HASTE eventually) when entering rage. And an evoker who is so intent on murdering things by magic or steel that he isn't afraid to get himself caught in the blast. I was also considering a Raging Necromancer that can instantly animate dead targets he kills in melee with his 14th level ability. I could flesh that out if desired.

EDIT: I've made the changes in the OP to reflect the specialized paths that I was aiming to create. It now closer resembles wizard subclasses. So yeah it's basically a subclass within a subclass, but I think you guys can handle that.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-12, 03:23 PM
As for Spell Cleave+Unending Assault remember you are limited to one bonus action.

I went with cha over int for better flavor, but the sorcerer list lacks some transmutation spells (for no apparent reason). Cha for flavor. Wizard spells for mechanics. There is really NO reason a sorcerer shouldn't be able to cast spells like longstrider. Consider it a shortcut to homebrew fixing the sorcerer list.

As for giving more abilities... as I said in the post I didn't want to make it bloated. As is it's better than the EK, and I can't justify giving the path features at more levels than all the other barbarian subclasses. It is a subclass after all. If you or your DM are ok with it, the spell cleave, rage fueled magic, and unending assault can be given in addition to the choice of the other two.

It's basically two paths that paint two pictures of a possible Rage Mage: A transmuter who really hulks out being able to cast things like ENLARGE (or HASTE eventually) when entering rage. And an evoker who is so intent on murdering things by magic or steel that he isn't afraid to get himself caught in the blast. I was also considering a Raging Necromancer that can instantly animate dead targets he kills in melee with his 14th level ability. I could flesh that out if desired.

EDIT: I've made the changes in the OP to reflect the specialized paths that I was aiming to create. It now closer resembles wizard subclasses. So yeah it's basically a subclass within a subclass, but I think you guys can handle that.

For first. I know, that's what I say. But it doesn't add to the ragemage, like, at all.

Just go for int as casting ability. Why shouldn't a barb be smart. This one is not normal.

Those choices are for me just not working. Then make two subclasses. Now it is several ideas in one subclass

PeteNutButter
2016-03-13, 11:12 AM
For first. I know, that's what I say. But it doesn't add to the ragemage, like, at all.

Just go for int as casting ability. Why shouldn't a barb be smart. This one is not normal.

Those choices are for me just not working. Then make two subclasses. Now it is several ideas in one subclass

I am sticking with charisma because the power comes from raw emotion.

I made final changes to the class which I am quite pleased with. Instead of having to choose to abilities when leveling up, you choose a type of rage similar to a berserker. This new rage mechanic allows you to get all of the abilities but not use them all at once. This makes for meaningful combat choices. The addition also comes with a tax if you want to cast things outside your school.