PDA

View Full Version : A New Rage Mage Balancing

PeteNutButter
2016-03-10, 11:08 AM
I'm moving this to just the Homebrew section so I don't have to keep editing both.

To see the updated version follow this link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481113-A-New-Rage-Mage&p=20530623#post20530623

Douche
2016-03-10, 11:20 AM
I've never met a barbarian who was interested in casting spells. That's the work of economic girly men

LordFluffy
2016-03-10, 11:29 AM
I've never met a barbarian who was interested in casting spells. That's the work of economic girly men
In 3.5, I'm playing a Rage Mage, though he's a Sorceror, not a Wizard. Was a promising magical student, but then captured by orcs and kept as a slave for 8 years. Escaped and after his latent abilities manifested.

Besides, what's scarier? A vein bulging, axe weilding, tornado of bloodshed, or the same tough customer on fire and killing your minions with lightning from his fingertips, inbetween hacking them up?

Douche
2016-03-10, 11:33 AM
In 3.5, I'm playing a Rage Mage, though he's a Sorceror, not a Wizard. Was a promising magical student, but then captured by orcs and kept as a slave for 8 years. Escaped and after his latent abilities manifested.

Besides, what's scarier? A vein bulging, axe weilding, tornado of bloodshed, or the same tough customer on fire and killing your minions with lightning from his fingertips, inbetween hacking them up?

The first one. He doesn't need magic to kick your butt. The second one is just a tryhard.

eastmabl
2016-03-10, 12:17 PM
Before all the critiques, I will say that it looks a lot better than some other tries at rage mage that I have seen.

That being said:

I will say that this makes the barbarian the most MAD character in the game (Str for rage attacks, Dex for AC, Con to frontline, and Cha to cast). It's tough to dump Cha in this build, because the spell attacks and DCs are what evocation does.

1. RM is casting spells through sheer force of will, which makes her a sorcerer-lite. Use the sorcerer spell list, not wizard.

2. Rage Casting. You can't cast spells or concentrate on them while raging. Are you purposefully keeping the prohibition on concentration here?

3. Altered rage seems wonky in terms of the action economy. When you enter rage (generally a bonus action), you can now cast a transmutation spell as part of the bonus action?

4. Spell Cleave. I understand the "death by melee attack" restriction to an extent, but it feels weird that the ability called "Spell Cleave" can't be used after a spell. Maybe melee attack or spell attacks with range of touch? Or maybe a different name.

5. Fearless Evoker. Needs some limitations on usage. Getting a baby version of Fear spell tacked onto every evocation spell that you cast is HUGE.

6. Rage Focused. Not a fan of it. You don't lose concentration on STs but have to end rage to end concentration? Auto-success isn't a 5e mechanic (aside from legendary resistance and magic missiles), and you suddenly go from not being able to concentrate on spells while raging to being amazing.

I'd prefer the following: while raging, the RM doubles her proficiency bonus for Concentration checks. If the spell was cast in the last round, you make this check with advantage... or something of the sort.

7. Rage Fueled Magic. I would try to key this ability off of arcane recovery, since it feels more like arcane recovery. Let the RM recover spell slots equal to 1/4 barbarian level, or something like that. That way, if you want to get one really big spell, you can get one really big spell. You can also get a bunch of smaller spells.

8. 14th level abilities. Not a fan of the prerequisites, since 5e doesn't have a lot of them. Also, if you're trying to make the class feel like barbarian totems (which don't have prereqs), you're missing the mark here.

I'd suggest that you allow the RM to choose an option from the 7th level abilities, or the enhanced version if they already have the prereq. That still feels off, but less so than presented.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-10, 01:30 PM
Before all the critiques, I will say that it looks a lot better than some other tries at rage mage that I have seen.

That being said:
I will say that this makes the barbarian the most MAD character in the game (Str for rage attacks, Dex for AC, Con to frontline, and Cha to cast). It's tough to dump Cha in this build, because the spell attacks and DCs are what evocation does.

1. RM is casting spells through sheer force of will, which makes her a sorcerer-lite. Use the sorcerer spell list, not wizard.

2. Rage Casting. You can't cast spells or concentrate on them while raging. Are you purposefully keeping the prohibition on concentration here?

3. Altered rage seems wonky in terms of the action economy. When you enter rage (generally a bonus action), you can now cast a transmutation spell as part of the bonus action?

4. Spell Cleave. I understand the "death by melee attack" restriction to an extent, but it feels weird that the ability called "Spell Cleave" can't be used after a spell. Maybe melee attack or spell attacks with range of touch? Or maybe a different name.

5. Fearless Evoker. Needs some limitations on usage. Getting a baby version of Fear spell tacked onto every evocation spell that you cast is HUGE.

6. Rage Focused. Not a fan of it. You don't lose concentration on STs but have to end rage to end concentration? Auto-success isn't a 5e mechanic (aside from legendary resistance and magic missiles), and you suddenly go from not being able to concentrate on spells while raging to being amazing.

I'd prefer the following: while raging, the RM doubles her proficiency bonus for Concentration checks. If the spell was cast in the last round, you make this check with advantage... or something of the sort.

7. Rage Fueled Magic. I would try to key this ability off of arcane recovery, since it feels more like arcane recovery. Let the RM recover spell slots equal to 1/4 barbarian level, or something like that. That way, if you want to get one really big spell, you can get one really big spell. You can also get a bunch of smaller spells.

8. 14th level abilities. Not a fan of the prerequisites, since 5e doesn't have a lot of them. Also, if you're trying to make the class feel like barbarian totems (which don't have prereqs), you're missing the mark here.

I'd suggest that you allow the RM to choose an option from the 7th level abilities, or the enhanced version if they already have the prereq. That still feels off, but less so than presented.

1. The sorcerer spell list lacks some nice transmutation spells like longstrider for no apparent reason.

2. You may still concentrate, I'll fix it.

3. The idea is that as you rage you cast a spell like enlarge or altar self or longstrider, in essence making you hulk out a bit more impressively. If you don't have this option you are wasting your first round of combat casting a mediocre buff (since you are so far behind on spell levels) that would usually be better spent attacking things.

4. New name suggestions?

5. It's not every evocation spell, just AoE ones that include you in the area. You'll usually be taking damage to yourself to trigger this.

6. There are plenty abilities in the game that grant immunity to various status effects. Paladins for one can be immune to disease fear and charm. Being immune to concentration breaks is not game breaking, besides anything that ends the rage gets around this "immunity."

7. I was trying to avoid the fractional math, as it get sloppy with rounding and what not. Although that would be a better option if you want to trudge through the math.

8. I know, I was trying to avoid prereqs, but as a whole it felt right. Making an ability that you already have better. It makes the character really consider their decision at level 7.