PDA

View Full Version : Trickery Domain and Sentinel

Grixis
2016-03-10, 01:22 PM
Say I use the channel divinity feature of Cleric's Trickery Domain to make a perfect illusion. Say also I have the Sentinel feat. If an enemy within 5 ft of me makes an attack against my illusion (right next to me) do I get an opportunity attack?

This usage would make the action of creating the illusion not as big an action economy sacrifice ad you may still get to attack once in that round.

My RAW interpretation says yes since Sentinel uses the word "target" not "ally". I'm curious to see how you fine folks would rule on this.

* if this works for the channel divinity illusion, would it work for Mirror Image?

RickAllison
2016-03-10, 01:33 PM
Say I use the channel divinity feature of Cleric's Trickery Domain to make a perfect illusion. Say also I have the Sentinel feat. If an enemy within 5 ft of me makes an attack against my illusion (right next to me) do I get an opportunity attack?

This usage would make the action of creating the illusion not as big an action economy sacrifice ad you may still get to attack once in that round.

My RAW interpretation says yes since Sentinel uses the word "target" not "ally". I'm curious to see how you fine folks would rule on this.

* if this works for the channel divinity illusion, would it work for Mirror Image?

I have no idea whether that actually works, but I would definitely rule yes if for nothing more than it is living up to your domain to its fullest!

JumboWheat01
2016-03-10, 01:38 PM
I'd also say yes as well. As you say, Sentinel uses the word "Target," and as an illusion is a perfectly viable target (if a not-really existing one,) you can use Sentinel feature to get in an opportunity attack.

Plus, like Rick said, it's totally thematic and definitely worth it for the RP alone.

Gtdead
2016-03-10, 01:42 PM
It should work against the clone without a problem.

I'm not sure about mirror image though. It's kind of an involuntary action to attack the mirror image so it could be vetoed. But I don't think that it would be overpowered if it worked anyway.

Talamare
2016-03-10, 02:10 PM
Neither works

Sentinel states "and that target doesn't have this feat"

If its a clone of you, then the target has the feat. Even if it can't use it.

RickAllison
2016-03-10, 02:17 PM
Neither works

Sentinel states "and that target doesn't have this feat"

If its a clone of you, then the target has the feat. Even if it can't use it.

It's not a clone, however. It is an illusory duplicate that has no statistics. It can't take any actions, it doesn't have an initiative, it is not a creature in any way, shape, or form, and so cannot have feats.

Biggstick
2016-03-10, 04:20 PM

I'm curious why the enemy is attacking the clone in the first place. If the two of you are next to each other, why wouldn't they just attack the actual Caster? The book doesn't state that the enemy is confused as to who's who, only that it's a perfect copy of the Caster.

CantigThimble
2016-03-10, 04:30 PM
I'm curious why the enemy is attacking the clone in the first place. If the two of you are next to each other, why wouldn't they just attack the actual Caster? The book doesn't state that the enemy is confused as to who's who, only that it's a perfect copy of the Caster.

Well, you can also cast spells as if you were in the double's space. So which is he going to attack: The obvious fake who's just standing there or the jerk who just hit him with guiding bolt? In addition the cleric could have sent the double in first and then made himself seem to appear magically rather than the other way around.

Also, interesting interaction between booming blade and Invoke Duplicity. If you had a reach weapon you could use it on an enemy from which you were 10 feet away and the clone was 5 feet away.

Biggstick
2016-03-10, 05:01 PM
Well, you can also cast spells as if you were in the double's space. So which is he going to attack: The obvious fake who's just standing there or the jerk who just hit him with guiding bolt? In addition the cleric could have sent the double in first and then made himself seem to appear magically rather than the other way around.

Also, interesting interaction between booming blade and Invoke Duplicity. If you had a reach weapon you could use it on an enemy from which you were 10 feet away and the clone was 5 feet away.

If he has no knowledge of illusions (which for the sake of argument, we'll pretend that he has none) then sure, I can see this with a low int enemy. After 1-2 swings at this target though, and the attack going right through the illusion, I'm sure the enemy is going to move on to the obvious fake.

For an enemy that's slightly more intelligent and has experience with illusions, I don't see them making more then one attack against this perfect copy.

For an even more intelligent enemy, they're going to attack the illusion, realize it for what it is, and then yell to all of it's allies that the one he just attacked is an illusion and to attack the other.

I say all this to draw attention to the fact that the book only ever says that you've created a illusionary duplicate of yourself. It doesn't imply in the slightest that enemy doesn't know which is the real you. If the two of you are positioned correctly, it's distracted enough by the illusion in that you gain advantage on attacks, but that's it. Anything else granted would be a DM rewarding clever play and ruling it that way. (Most DM's I've played with would most likely end up just rolling a 1d2 to determine which one it attacked, regardless of how intelligent they were)

CantigThimble
2016-03-10, 05:03 PM
If he has no knowledge of illusions (which for the sake of argument, we'll pretend that he has none) then sure, I can see this with a low int enemy. After 1-2 swings at this target though, and the attack going right through the illusion, I'm sure the enemy is going to move on to the obvious fake.

For an enemy that's slightly more intelligent and has experience with illusions, I don't see them making more then one attack against this perfect copy.

For an even more intelligent enemy, they're going to attack the illusion, realize it for what it is, and then yell to all of it's allies that the one he just attacked is an illusion and to attack the other.

I say all this to draw attention to the fact that the book only ever says that you've created a illusionary duplicate of yourself. It doesn't imply in the slightest that enemy doesn't know which is the real you. If the two of you are positioned correctly, it's distracted enough by the illusion in that you gain advantage on attacks, but that's it. Anything else granted would be a DM rewarding clever play and ruling it that way. (Most DM's I've played with would most likely end up just rolling a 1d2 to determine which one it attacked, regardless of how intelligent they were)

I wasn't suggesting it would work every round but it could definitely work once or twice per combat if you played it right.

Grixis
2016-03-10, 08:32 PM

Correct. However, the way I would use it would be to move through the illusion's space or vice versa so that each round it would not be obvious which of us was which. Like a game of switching the ball with cups. If it's a perfect illusion, it may not be clear whether the image left the space we shared or if the caster did.

RickAllison
2016-03-10, 08:53 PM
Correct. However, the way I would use it would be to move through the illusion's space or vice versa so that each round it would not be obvious which of us was which. Like a game of switching the ball with cups. If it's a perfect illusion, it may not be clear whether the image left the space we shared or if the caster did.

Then you get two cards, one marked with which one is you and which is the duplicate and arranging themselves in the positions of the two. The DM doesn't even know which is which!

CantigThimble
2016-03-10, 08:57 PM

Great for melee, though you lose the massive range boost on your touch spells by doing this and it becomes limited to 30ft. (only a +30ft spell range boost in addition to advantage on melee attacks and possibly negating enemy attacks, bummer)

tieren
2016-03-11, 10:44 AM
Well the OP's question is relevant regardless of whether the caster is the one with sentinel. If he sends the illusion up to the front line to stand next to the party tank (who has sentinel feat) and the enemy takes a swing at the illusion does the tank get an attack? I think we agree he does.

I think the cool part is after the enemy dismisses the illusion as fake and ignores it and the next round the illusion walks up to him and lays a chill touch or shocking grasp on him. You don't have to hide its an illusion either, it can walk right up through the middle of the fray even passing through other combatants. Should be pretty terrifying.