PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [PF] Magus & Two Weapon Fighting Clarification?

codyleaderbrand
2016-03-10, 01:39 PM
Ok, so help me with some rules clarification guys...I have a Magus in my current group and I need to know if these actions make sense in combat. Furthermore, this has me questioning my understanding of two weapon combat for some reason. He is lvl 2.

Of the following, which are legal for him to do?
-No move actions used, character melee attacks and casts a spell
-Character uses 1 move action to move into range of the enemy and strikes with his sword and casts a touch attack spell
-Character charges two moves actions to attack with weapon and spell

I feel bad because I've paused combat each time because he attempts to do something which seems like a lot of actions but claims they are within his ability but reading the rules doesn't clarify anything for me. I typically allow things to move forward without stopping since it's usually not a huge problem. I appreciate any input!

Psyren
2016-03-10, 01:52 PM
-No move actions used, character melee attacks and casts a spell

The only way to do this without using his move action is to cast a quickened spell (swift + standard.) If he is trying to do this with Spell Combat, that won't work, because SC is a full-round action and will therefore use up his move action.

-Character uses 1 move action to move into range of the enemy and strikes with his sword and casts a touch attack spell

As noted above, spell combat is a full round action. He can't both use it and move unless he has an extra move action from somewhere, or is using a faster way of moving (5-foot-step, swift action etc.)

-Character charges two moves actions to attack with weapon and spell

By "character charges two move actions" do you mean he is using the full-round charge action, or do you mean he is readying two move actions? Either way, no, neither of these will allow him to move and then use spell combat. Spell combat is, again, a full-round action.

codyleaderbrand
2016-03-10, 02:08 PM
The only way to do this without using his move action is to cast a quickened spell (swift + standard.) If he is trying to do this with Spell Combat, that won't work, because SC is a full-round action and will therefore use up his move action.
Ok, so spell combat is a complete full round. Therefore moving and attempting to cast and attack is a no-go.

With this logic in mind, two weapon fighting is also a full round action yes? If so that would make sense.

As noted above, spell combat is a full round action. He can't both use it and move unless he has an extra move action from somewhere, or is using a faster way of moving (5-foot-step, swift action etc.)
It seems clarification of spell combat is what I needed, full round action basically makes everything he is looking to do illegal from a rules perspective.

By "character charges two move actions" do you mean he is using the full-round charge action, or do you mean he is readying two move actions? Either way, no, neither of these will allow him to move and then use spell combat. Spell combat is, again, a full-round action.
I suppose I did say that oddly...I meant if he charges(full round action) could he use spell combat. Which from the above info would be no since it's also a full round action.

Not sure why I felt so confused about these rules but he's usually pretty good about understanding the rules so I started to question myself and my understanding. I appreciate your help!

Dekion
2016-03-10, 02:40 PM
About the only clarification that may be required is for Spellstrike. The Magus can cast a touch spell (using a standard action,) then move (as a move action,) and then deliver that spell with a single free melee attack. The free melee attack takes the place of the free touch attack that you would normally get for free when casting touch spells for any touch ranged spell on the Magus list.

Psyren
2016-03-10, 02:44 PM
Ok, so spell combat is a complete full round. Therefore moving and attempting to cast and attack is a no-go.

With this logic in mind, two weapon fighting is also a full round action yes? If so that would make sense.

Almost - TWF needs a full-attack, rather than a full-round action necessarily. These are very often, but not always, the same thing. For example, the "pounce" ability lets you charge as a full-round action and then full-attack as part of that action; therefore, you can pounce and TWF, but you cannot pounce and spell combat, because that would require two full-round actions (one to charge, and one to spell-combat.)

It seems clarification of spell combat is what I needed, full round action basically makes everything he is looking to do illegal from a rules perspective.

If he's trying to do it with spell combat then yep, you're correct and he is wrong. However, there are other ways to move, attack and cast in one turn (such as quickened spells.)

I suppose I did say that oddly...I meant if he charges(full round action) could he use spell combat. Which from the above info would be no since it's also a full round action.

Not sure why I felt so confused about these rules but he's usually pretty good about understanding the rules so I started to question myself and my understanding. I appreciate your help!

No problem :smallsmile: