View Full Version : Spell casting more than once

Ewhit
2016-03-10, 01:53 PM
Besides the following is there any other way to cast 2 spells in a round

1. Sorcerers with quicken or twine
2 wizard with 2 levels of fighter for action surge giving extra action

Gtdead
2016-03-10, 01:56 PM
If you cast any spell as a bonus action (even a cantrip), you can't cast another spell in the same round other than a cantrip (even with action surge), but you can use your action to sustain a concentration spell.
Twin spell doesn't have any special rules afaik. You should be able to quicken a spell and twin a cantrip without any problems. Or twin a spell and then twin another with action surge.

Ewhit
2016-03-10, 02:19 PM
Actually action surge lets you take another full action with a possible bonus action

Thus you can take your turn cast a spell then action surge to take another turn cast a spell then if possible bonus action which would be a cantrip

Boci
2016-03-10, 02:23 PM
Actually action surge lets you take another full action with a possible bonus action

Thus you can take your turn cast a spell then action surge to take another turn cast a spell then if possible bonus action which would be a cantrip

There's no such thing as a "full action" in 5th ed, there is an action, a reaction and a bonus action. Action surge gives you an action, not a turn.

Mhl7
2016-03-10, 02:25 PM
but you can use your action to sustain a concentration spell.

You don't need any action to keep concentration.

A related question: if you cast a spell as a bonus action, can you cast a spell in the same turn as a reaction?

For instance, you cast a spell as a bonus action and someone counterspells your spell, can you counterspell the counterspell?

RickAllison
2016-03-10, 02:26 PM

Not quite. First of all, Action surge only give you an action, not a turn. That is only pertinent for a few things, but it is an important distinction. Second, yes, you could cast two different spells using the AS, but you are wrong about the bonus action. If you use the bonus action to cast any spell, including a cantrip, you cannot cast any other spells besides cantrips on your turn. Thus, your options are two spells that can be of any level using Action Surge, or three spells where the Action Surge and regular action are spent casting cantrips.

To maximize the amount of "spells", it would seem that it would be Sorcerer/Fighter quickening a spell and spending Action Surge to twincast two cantrips. That gives effectively five spells and for only four sorcery points.

EDIT: Mhl7, that is an interesting question. I think in a Sage Advice they clarified it as being possible, but I don't know where and I might be mis-remembering.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-10, 02:27 PM
If you cast any spell as a bonus action (even a cantrip), you can't cast another spell in the same round other than a cantrip (even with action surge), but you can use your action to sustain a concentration spell.
Twin spell doesn't have any special rules afaik. You should be able to quicken a spell and twin a cantrip without any problems. Or twin a spell and then twin another with action surge.
Although this is correct, you NEVER have to use an action to keel concentration on a spell

Logically, this would work, but it doesn't. There is specific said you can never cast more than one spell a turn

RickAllison
2016-03-10, 02:30 PM
Although this is correct, you NEVER have to use an action to keel concentration on a spell

You do with Witch Bolt! But that's the proverbial exception that proves the rule. He might have been thinking of something like Call Lightning that can be used to achieve a spell effect, but I'm not sure.

Logically, this would work, but it doesn't. There is specific said you can never cast more than one spell a turn

Not true. Theoretically, you could cast an unlimited amount of spells with enough actions, so long as none of them use your bonus action. As soon as one of them uses your bonus action, the rest have to be cantrips.

Gtdead
2016-03-10, 02:36 PM
Sorry, sustain wasn't the right word. I meant to say that using an action to activate the effect of the concentration spell (if it exists, like call lightning and witch bolt) doesn't count as a spell cast. So you can quicken call lightning, call down a lightning, and then action surge another call down.

I just mentioned it because I made the same question 2 weeks ago.

Ewhit
2016-03-10, 02:51 PM
This is what you can do as a wizard/fighter with action surge

1. you can action fireball then action surge fireball

2. Or action firebolt then action surge firebolt then u can cast "bonus action" spell like misty step

3. Or action hit with sword then action surge firebolt then "bonus action" spell like misty step

4. Or action cast firebolt then action surge hit with sword then "bonus action" spell misty step

5. Action hit with sword action surge hit with sword then cast a "bonus action"spell like misty step

Firebolt is example for cantrip misty step as example bonus action spell

Nicodiemus
2016-03-10, 08:41 PM
Ok, so lets say you cast a non-cantrip spell, can you then cast a bonus action spell because you can't cast any more non-cantrip spells that round?

bid
2016-03-10, 08:55 PM
A wizard 5 / fighter 2 can cast 2 fireballs in a single turn. As long as you don't cast with your bonus action, you're golden.

RickAllison
2016-03-10, 08:56 PM
Ok, so lets say you cast a non-cantrip spell, can you then cast a bonus action spell because you can't cast any more non-cantrip spells that round?

Nope.

You can’t cast another spell during the same
turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time o f 1 action.

If you cast a non-cantrip spell before your bonus action, you just can't use a bonus action spell. You could probably cast a bonus action spell and then ready a non-cantrip spell to cast on another turn, however.

HoarsHalberd
2016-03-10, 08:59 PM

No. If you cast a bonus action spell within a turn you cannot cast a non-cantrip spell with your action, regardless of spacing. You also cannot cast a cantrip with your bonus action following a spell with your action as this is a bonus action spell.

If you want 2 level 1+ spells in a turn, the only way to do it is action surge. Action surge allows you to use your action twice. However you cannot use your bonus action to cast any spells at all, cantrip or otherwise. (Also I want to address something that was seemingly mentioned above. Normal round, 1 action, 1 bonus action, 1 reaction. Action Surge turn 2 actions, 1 bonus action, 1 reaction.

VegBru
2016-03-11, 04:08 AM
A related question: if you cast a spell as a bonus action, can you cast a spell in the same turn as a reaction?

For instance, you cast a spell as a bonus action and someone counterspells your spell, can you counterspell the counterspell?

No you can't, and this is why:

Action: You can cast a spell. This goes even if you have already cast a spell on your turn. Since Action Surge lets you take "one additional action on top of your regular action", you get to cast 2 spells on your turn.

Reaction: A spell with a reaction casting time can be cast with your reaction, even if you have cast one or more spells with your action(s). As always, you get one reaction per round.

Bonus action: A spell with a bonus action casting time lets you cast a spell as a bonus action. The same goes for the Scorceres Quicken, which lets you change casting time on a spell from one action to one bonus action. Now, if you use your bonus action to cast a spell, you cannot cast another spell (other than cantrips) on your turn. This rule is specific to bonus action casting, PHB 202.

So if you cast a spell with your bonus action you are screwed, and can only cast one or more cantrips on your turn, regardless of casting time.

Edited ninjastyle.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-11, 07:13 AM
A wizard 5 / fighter 2 can cast 2 fireballs in a single turn. As long as you don't cast with your bonus action, you're golden.

Oh yeah, right, I was talking about the sorcerer combination, sorry about the confusion

DanyBallon
2016-03-11, 08:21 AM
No you can't, and this is why:

Action: You can cast a spell. This goes even if you have already cast a spell on your turn. Since Action Surge lets you take "one additional action on top of your regular action", you get to cast 2 spells on your turn.

Reaction: A spell with a reaction casting time can be cast with your reaction, regardless of how many spells you have cast on your turn. As always, you get one reaction per round.

Bonus action: A spell with a bonus action casting time lets you cast a spell as a bonus action. The same goes for the Scorceres Quicken, which lets you change casting time on a spell from one action to one bonus action. Now, if you use your bonus action to cast a spell, you cannot cast another spell (other than cantrips) on your turn. This rule is specific to bonus action casting, PHB 202.

So if you cast a spell with your bonus action you are screwed, and can only cast one or more cantrips on your turn, regardless of casting time.

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion, not an official ruling or nothing like that.

I think that the intention with casting a spell with a bonus action preventing you from casting anything more than a cantrip with your action, should apply as well if you already have cast a spell with your action, so using action surge, would let you cast a spell with your first action, and nothing more than a cantrip with your second action. See it as casting a spell drain energy from the caster and afterward, on only cantrips, which do not requires any efforts from the caster, may be cast.

Since cantrips takes an action to cast and MC is an optionnal rule, there was no need for a ruling saying that casting a spell with your action prevent you from casting another spell this turn, unless it's a cantrip.

tieren
2016-03-11, 09:27 AM
No you can't yes you can, and this is why:

Reaction: A spell with a reaction casting time can be cast with your reaction, regardless of how many spells you have cast on your turn. As always, you get one reaction per round.

fixed for you

VegBru
2016-03-11, 10:12 AM
fixed for you

Well, thanks, but no thanks. The number of spells you have cast on your turn does not matter. Unless one of those spells is cast with your bonus action. Then you can't use your reaction to cast a spell that is not a cantrip.

By ok, I wrote that poorly. Will edit.

lperkins2
2016-03-11, 02:55 PM
Well, thanks, but no thanks. The number of spells you have cast on your turn does not matter. Unless one of those spells is cast with your bonus action. Then you can't use your reaction to cast a spell that is not a cantrip.

By ok, I wrote that poorly. Will edit.

Actually, I think I see where the confusion comes from. Casting with a bonus action makes it so you can't cast non-cantrip spells on your turn, but 'reaction' doesn't happen on your turn. DanyBallon probably had it right about the motivation on limiting bonus-action spells, that it is to prevent casters cooking off multiple spells a round. The idea is you can swap casting as a standard action to casting as a bonus action. Normal would be one action spell and one reaction spell. Alternate is one bonus-action spell and one reaction spell.

The crucial part is that bonus action spells say you cannot cast other non-cantrip spells on your turn, but your turn ends before you take your reaction.

DanyBallon
2016-03-11, 03:19 PM
In special case a reaction may happen on your turn. The best example that come to mind, you are crossing a chasm on a rope, DM as for a skill check and you fall, you cast feather fall as a reaction. Your turn still isn't over yet you used your reaction. But it's the only scenario I can think of.

VegBru
2016-03-11, 03:42 PM
fixed for you

Actually, I think I see where the confusion comes from. Casting with a bonus action makes it so you can't cast non-cantrip spells on your turn, but 'reaction' doesn't happen on your turn. DanyBallon probably had it right about the motivation on limiting bonus-action spells, that it is to prevent casters cooking off multiple spells a round. The idea is you can swap casting as a standard action to casting as a bonus action. Normal would be one action spell and one reaction spell. Alternate is one bonus-action spell and one reaction spell.

The crucial part is that bonus action spells say you cannot cast other non-cantrip spells on your turn, but your turn ends before you take your reaction.

In special case a reaction may happen on your turn. The best example that come to mind, you are crossing a chasm on a rope, DM as for a skill check and you fall, you cast feather fall as a reaction. Your turn still isn't over yet you used your reaction. But it's the only scenario I can think of.

Right, and the question I tried to answer was this:

mer.c
2016-03-11, 03:46 PM

I assume it would also apply in cases where for example you're in combat, step in the wrong spot, trigger a flame trap, cast Absorb Elements to protect yourself from the damage.

No reactions on one's own turn would make sense, for example, in making it so a character can't counterspell a spell countering their own spell. If I start casting Fireball, and then my opponent starts casting Counterspell before my Fireball is completed, it doesn't make any sense that I put a hold on my Fireball, whip out a Counterspell before they complete their own Counterspell, then pick up where I left off on the original Fireball spell (all in the same turn).

So my guess is that it's less "no reactions on one's own turn" than it is "reactions on one's turn are the exception to the rule." Since AFAIK there's nothing that states this, but it's implied heavily, it would come down to DM fiat?

RulesJD
2016-03-11, 03:50 PM
Other methods of casting more than 1 spell on a turn:

1. Wild Magic Surge

2. Contingency spell that triggers

3. Glyph of Warding spell that triggers

Jrandom
2016-03-11, 04:00 PM
On a related note, can you twin Witch Bolt and then use your action on later rounds to activate the automatic damage on the original and the twin effect (let's say you are shooting the same target with both beams)?

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 04:12 PM
On a related note, can you twin Witch Bolt and then use your action on later rounds to activate the automatic damage on the original and the twin effect (let's say you are shooting the same target with both beams)?

I believe the action would activate the damage for both effects, but you could not target the same creature with both. That is a restriction from Twinned Spell. Target two and you have it, however.

Jrandom
2016-03-11, 04:21 PM
I believe the action would activate the damage for both effects, but you could not target the same creature with both. That is a restriction from Twinned Spell. Target two and you have it, however.

Good point, thank you.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 04:37 PM
Good point, thank you.

Absolutely. I've toyed with making a glabrezu sorcerer/rogue/tempest cleric whose shtick is grappling two PCs with his Multiattack and starting a Twinned Witch Bolt, then just throwing out Quickened Destructive Waves to lock them and any pursuers down.