PDA

View Full Version : warblade 3.5 race ideas

j!nx
2016-03-10, 04:17 PM
I have a upcoming adventure and I want to play a warblade that is a sailing merchant I want to eventually have my own guild on a massive ship sailing the seas ill also be traveling with raiders and a lost beastmaster any body have ideas for race with out LA id appreciate all the ideas and influence

Gabrosin
2016-03-10, 04:28 PM
Human is always a great idea for the free feat. If you want to transition into Eternal Blade later, you'll need to be an Elf; a Snow Elf (frostburn) gives its penalty to charisma rather than constitution, or you can go Fire Elf to get bumps to both dexterity and intelligence while taking penalties on cha and con. Going Dragonborn Elf is another way to avoid the con penalty. If you want to get a little cheesy, a Lesser Earth Genasi can boost both str and con while penalizing your two least important stats, wis and cha.

j!nx
2016-03-10, 04:45 PM
CHA is going to be important due to the fact of taking leadership and being a merchant in general

BowStreetRunner
2016-03-10, 04:52 PM
...Going Dragonborn Elf is another way to avoid the con penalty...
Dragonborn Elf Warblade with the Wings Aspect gets a +10 racial bonus to Jump checks that has nice synergy with a bunch of Tiger Claw maneuvers. They do qualify for Eternal Blade as well. With this sort of character you could easily go with the INT bonus from Gray Elf and focus on DEX and TWF in combat.

Krazzman
2016-03-10, 04:53 PM
I really liked my Human Warblade.

What about Lesser Aasimar (or do they still have LA?) or Changeling (the one from Eberron)?

Again, Human is always solid (giving the 1 skill point for Merchant stuff), maybe going Bardblade instead of Warblade for more skillpoints and some class skills needed as a merchant?

Eloel
2016-03-10, 04:54 PM
CHA is going to be important due to the fact of taking leadership and being a merchant in general

As a Warblade who wants Cha, you need Str, Con, Int and Cha (preferably do not dump Dex or Wis either, because saves)

Human, I guess. Are you set on Warblade? You could probably go for a more cha-fighter route, perhaps reducing the dependency on str and int?

J-H
2016-03-10, 04:55 PM
Why be ordinary? Check out the Darfellan from Stormwrack if you think you may fight underwater.

Darrin
2016-03-10, 05:04 PM
If you're going to be around water that much, I'd want a character that could breath air and water. I'd also want the human bonus feat. The best combination I can find for that would be vanilla Human + Amphibious template (Stormwrack). You wind up with a -2 Dex to start with, but that's not a bad trade-off to ignore drowning.

Savage progression tiefling (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) is good for TWF but bad for Cha. Snow elf or painted elf is good for Eternal Blade.

j!nx
2016-03-11, 09:20 AM
the background of the character is going to be "Viking" based and what I mean in that is the character is from a clan were agriculture and food is little to none so he sets out in travel with a few of the strongest warriors in the clan and sets out to raid other clans and places were food and treasure are in abundance so I can take what I need and sell the rest of the loot I wanted to take a level or 2 in barbarian in the beginning to bring out my savage ways of hard clan life and then become the heart of a shield wall after time through years and years of practice, I wanted to learn how to hone martial skill to become a renown melee combatant, after many years of war and battle I wanted to "lose" my self in the wild were I learn a different take on life and tactics, and might even become a beast master, after time of lonesome and studying primitive ways of life and animals I wanted to reunite with my old clan who I would of not seen for at least 100 full moons , I wanted to emerge a new man one that knows more then just blood and war but of life and victory,,
my DM said I can play any 3.5 race that doesn't have a LA,

Inevitability
2016-03-11, 09:24 AM
Perhaps dragonborn star elf if it's charisma you want to focus on? +2 charisma, -2 dexterity, access to Eternal Blade and the aforementioned Tiger Claw synergy.

j!nx
2016-03-11, 09:40 AM
the only reason I said cha is important is because of renown and the possibility of me taking leader ship to have my own floating school, I mean I don't have to have super cha im not a Paladian or bard just don't want to have such a low cha that leadership would be useless

Keld Denar
2016-03-11, 11:02 AM
A warblade who's a sailing merchant? Definitely a half-elf (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471336-Weekly-Optimization-Showcase-Storm-Knight-%28Tempest_Stormwind%29)!

j!nx
2016-03-11, 11:15 AM
if half elf is on the menu any half elf race in mind? im open to all 3.5 race ideas as long as there is no LA and NO HOMEBREW, ive been stuck for a week thinking of races just need some insight

j!nx
2016-03-11, 11:20 AM
im even open to class ideas the only reason I said warblade was after reading about it seemed fitting if there are other suggestions im open

Gabrosin
2016-03-11, 11:47 AM
If you're going to be around water that much, I'd want a character that could breath air and water. I'd also want the human bonus feat. The best combination I can find for that would be vanilla Human + Amphibious template (Stormwrack). You wind up with a -2 Dex to start with, but that's not a bad trade-off to ignore drowning.

Savage progression tiefling (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) is good for TWF but bad for Cha. Snow elf or painted elf is good for Eternal Blade.

While being able to breathe underwater is really useful in an aquatic campaign, there are a lot of ways to make it happen with inexpensive items. The greater crystal of aquatic action in the MIC is only 3000 gp, or you can step up to something like necklace of adaptation for 9000 gp and get an even broader effect. Unless your DM is the sort to force you to go underwater and then subject you to antimagic, you should be fine.

Eloel
2016-03-11, 11:53 AM
Charismatic fighter screams Silverbrow Human (or Spellscale) Bard to me. Use Dragonfire Inspiration (and/or Inspire Courage itself). Add to that Snowflake Wardance + Slippers of Battledancing and you're ready to convince your blade to cut them open.

j!nx
2016-03-11, 11:54 AM
very true I was thinking of hopefully to stumble across an item of such ability through looting but if I had not I was going to find a way to purchase one or have one made

j!nx
2016-03-11, 11:59 AM
I enjoy that silverbrow human aspect it gives the character more race flavor then just being "human"

Eloel
2016-03-11, 12:20 PM
I enjoy that silverbrow human aspect it gives the character more race flavor then just being "human"

Being Draconic also happens to let you get DFI cheaper :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2016-03-11, 12:49 PM
Did you check out the build I posted? It's pretty sweet. You have all of the feats you need to captain an elemental galleon or an airship (per the rules in Eberron, if those things exist in your DM's world) on top of being a decent fighter.

Also, I'm pretty sure that despite the 101 different subraces of elf, there is really only 1 half elf (dragonblooded not withstanding).

Optimator
2016-03-11, 12:57 PM
My favorite race for Warblades is Hobgoblin.

Inevitability
2016-03-11, 01:04 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure that despite the 101 different subraces of elf, there is really only 1 half elf (dragonblooded not withstanding).

Nope. There's four environmental variants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm) and an elemental variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm), and that's only the SRD. The half-human elf from the DMG and half-drow from RoF should also count.

Eloel
2016-03-11, 01:08 PM

There are 10. Half-elf, Aquatic Half-elf, Arctic Half-elf, Desert Half-elf, Deepwyrm Half-Drow, Fire Half-elf, Half-Drow, Half-Human Elf, Jungle Half-elf

j!nx
2016-03-11, 01:11 PM
My favorite race for Warblades is Hobgoblin.

I wish hobgoblin did not have a LA that would of been cool to play

j!nx
2016-03-11, 02:26 PM
what's your opinion on best race without LA for melee combat? 3.5
I enjoyed liked the element variants thank you for that

Inevitability
2016-03-11, 03:36 PM
I wish hobgoblin did not have a LA that would of been cool to play

Maybe ask your DM to remove the LA? To be honest, I'd pick humans over LA-less hobgoblins any day of the week. Even 'standard' races like dwarves and gnomes would probably be more popular with me, if only because of the massive feat support they get (what do hobgoblins get, you ask? a feat and a prestige class).

j!nx
2016-03-11, 04:25 PM
silverbrow human, water orc, or goliath?

Inevitability
2016-03-11, 04:43 PM
silverbrow human, water orc, or goliath?

Water orc for raw strength. Goliath for raw strength if LA buyoff is a thing. Silverbrow human if versatility and dragonblooded feats are what you want.

j!nx
2016-03-11, 04:50 PM
Water orc for raw strength. Goliath for raw strength if LA buyoff is a thing. Silverbrow human if versatility and dragonblooded feats are what you want.
so what would you choose in my whole "Viking" backround I stated earlier?

Eloel
2016-03-11, 07:37 PM
so what would you choose in my whole "Viking" backround I stated earlier?Water orc for raw strength. Goliath for raw strength if LA buyoff is a thing. Silverbrow human if versatility and dragonblooded feats are what you want.

j!nx
2016-03-28, 12:08 PM
so I have decided to go water orc because of no LA and im going to take flaws for extra feats, I found out that this campaign that my GM is running ogres have nobility and ranks among them in the region im in so I think some orc raids against them will have some good stories to tell

atemu1234
2016-03-28, 10:14 PM
Being Draconic also happens to let you get DFI cheaper :smallbiggrin:

Indeed, you won't have to worry about a useless dip.