PDA

View Full Version : OotS reactions to the Godsmoot

ReleaseTheBees
2016-03-10, 04:41 PM
Anyone else disappointed by the Order's response to the events of the Godsmoot? Hayley tuts about the change of course, Elan thinks about his puppet and V is as indifferent as she's been since the start of this book. Not a thought spared for Durkon by anyone hearing what just went down?

Keltest
2016-03-10, 04:56 PM
While I found the entire moot rather contrived, I think the character's reactions were entirely consistent. Elan is being a loon, V was always on the fence about Durkon, and Haley, while horrified, is still concerned with stopping it.

hroşila
2016-03-10, 05:13 PM
You can't put everything in a single strip, you know.

Jasdoif
2016-03-10, 05:25 PM
Not a thought spared for Durkon by anyone hearing what just went down?I suspect many thoughts were spared for Durkon when they learned what went down. It's just that the going down happened before they heard from Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1013.html).

The difference for them now is that realize they need to save the world, because they won't be able to help Durkon if they don't....And knowing where they're going to save the world is also where they'll find Durkon (or the transmogrification thereof) aligns the goals quite nicely.

King of Nowhere
2016-03-10, 06:17 PM
they are fairly busy trying to stop the world being destroied. there's nothing like an adrenaline rush to make one focus on the immediate problem at hand.

factotum
2016-03-11, 03:20 AM
I'm with Jasdoif. The members of the Order who were on board the Mechane knew about Durkon's betrayal some time ago, due to the vampire attack on the ship. They've had time to assimilate it before this scene plays out. In addition, none of the others were really close friends with Durkon, as Roy was, and so probably still had some residual doubts about him.

acire
2016-03-13, 01:12 AM
Roy is Durkon's best friend, so of course he will be the most affected by the realization that Durkula is an evil creature who's been using the body of Durkon to trick him.

V already regarded Durkon as dead and Durkula as a different creature (see OotS #990), so finding out that the vampire was evil is not a heartbreaking revelation for hir.

Belkar isn't exactly sentimental and has saying for a while now that Durkula isn't to be trusted; the saddest part of this situation for him is that he didn't get to rub it in Roy's face.

Haley may or may not grieve on-panel later, but this is still a time for practicality. Crying doesn't get them where they need to go; telling Bandana about the change in plans does.

Elan doesn't hate Durkon, but he's not close to him like Roy is. He may be sad in the next comic, though.

Everyone still has the opportunity to express their grief before we get to the Dwarven Council. Maybe Elan or Haley don't show their grief on the airship; maybe it hasn't hit them yet, and it becomes real for them when they see the quiet cleric they once knew trying to Dominate the Council members to force them to vote for destroying the world. I don't think it's fair to judge the Order as callous or indifferent because they aren't openly grieving in this one specific strip.

martianmister
2016-03-16, 08:20 PM
I suspect many thoughts were spared for Durkon when they learned what went down. It's just that [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1013.html]the going down happened before they heard

I think OP is pointing out that it's disappointing because we didn't see it on panel.