PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd

DevilsAdvocate
2016-03-10, 04:46 PM
First time poster/long time lurker

I got my copy of Curse of Strahd a few days ago as part of the local store early release, and I like it a lot. I haven't purchased/read/used any of the 5e adventures yet, so without much to compare it to, it feels like a wholly realized world and I'm very glad to be taking my PCs there.

My party has been playing in a self-made world and come up from first level together through many adventures. They don't know it yet, but the windmill they've been following a giant rat toward (spoiler: one of a mischief of wererats) is actually a thin zone portal through to the Shadowfell. They'll end up in The Old Bonegrinder, for anyone who already has the module.

For reference: I'm a three-year DM of a party now playing 5e (migrated from vanilla 3.5). Party is six level-5 PCs.

Anyone playing a Gothic Horror campaign? Anyone else got their mitts on the 5e Strahd yet and explored the shiny new Ravenloft a bit? Any legacy Ravenlofters (Ravenloafers?) who enjoy the old setting? Would also welcome any suggestions to make sure players don't feel cheated being stuck in a demiplane for a few levels, and thoughts generally on this adventure.

-DA

EvanescentHero
2016-03-10, 06:24 PM
You're starting the adventure at level five? As I recall, it only goes from levels one to ten, so you'll probably have to modify it a bit.

Grey Watcher
2016-03-10, 06:33 PM
I lost it st the Little Shop of Horrors reference. :smallbiggrin:

DevilsAdvocate
2016-03-10, 06:42 PM
You're starting the adventure at level five? As I recall, it only goes from levels one to ten, so you'll probably have to modify it a bit.

It provides a standalone adventure in one of the appendices, also available as a free PDF, to bring players from level 1-3. After that, it is very "open world" and PCs can easily get out of their depth - but the module suggests areas as level-appropriate. For example, the Old Bonegrinder windmill area has a coven of night hags, which my party has faced before (well, sea hags while aboard the vessel that brought them to the godforsaken town with the wererats and the thinness to the Shadowfell, but similar). Some of the areas they will definitely be overlevelled for, but for most of the zones they will be underpowered. There's no inherent gating between the zones, and a lot of the best stuff in the module is role play and not combat. So, I'm not sure I'll have to do *too* much modification.

The book does presume that you're coming into Ravenloft for the first time through the town of Barovia, but I'm changing that to start them in a more confusing spot with the windmill analog from their prime material world.

Sigreid
2016-03-10, 07:27 PM
If I might ask, how is it if your not one to run pre-made adventures? I got the previous ones (except rise of Tiamat) because they had things that I could take and use to populate my own campaign world. Would this book provide a lot of that?

DevilsAdvocate
2016-03-10, 08:02 PM
If I might ask, how is it if your not one to run pre-made adventures? I got the previous ones (except rise of Tiamat) because they had things that I could take and use to populate my own campaign world. Would this book provide a lot of that?

I have literally never bought an adventure module before, for any edition. I always make my own stuff, but something drew me to this item (enough to pre-order through a local store, etc).

I would say it's a disappointment if you're looking for a sourcebook to help you map out demiplanes or navigate the ether or add to your class or spell rosters.

It includes a gothic trinket table, a new PC "background" for new characters ("Haunted One") and a few magical items, almost all story-based. There's really not much else here. This isn't the AD&D 2nd Edition Ravenloft Boxed set, which I never owned but had access to. This is an extremely well-thought out series of towns and open-world adventure with all the pieces very carefully placed with lots of randomness, change, player choice, and openness.

Unless you plan to use the stat blocks for "Strahd Zombies" or roll a lot of "gothic trinkets" I'm not sure this is your item.

Honestly it wouldn't normally be mine, either. But again, I thought it would be a very cool detour for a party that thinks it's getting back on the ship in the morning.

Grey Watcher
2016-03-10, 08:04 PM

There are appendicies in the back listing new creatures and magic items. Of particular note are the Wereravens (because why should mammals have all the fun?) and Mongrelfolk (humanoids enhanced with grafted on animal parts, or just born really weird and grotesque). Also, the Vistani (Romani analogues), have some interesting abilities if you need a good ol' fashioned curse or evil eye type effect.

Sigreid
2016-03-12, 01:26 PM
I have literally never bought an adventure module before, for any edition. I always make my own stuff, but something drew me to this item (enough to pre-order through a local store, etc).

I would say it's a disappointment if you're looking for a sourcebook to help you map out demiplanes or navigate the ether or add to your class or spell rosters.

It includes a gothic trinket table, a new PC "background" for new characters ("Haunted One") and a few magical items, almost all story-based. There's really not much else here. This isn't the AD&D 2nd Edition Ravenloft Boxed set, which I never owned but had access to. This is an extremely well-thought out series of towns and open-world adventure with all the pieces very carefully placed with lots of randomness, change, player choice, and openness.

Unless you plan to use the stat blocks for "Strahd Zombies" or roll a lot of "gothic trinkets" I'm not sure this is your item.

Honestly it wouldn't normally be mine, either. But again, I thought it would be a very cool detour for a party that thinks it's getting back on the ship in the morning.

Thanks for the feedback. Follow up question, are the town's fleshed out enough that I could drop them in a campaign world with minimal effort/rework and use them as villages? That has value to me as well.

Sigreid
2016-03-12, 01:27 PM
There are appendicies in the back listing new creatures and magic items. Of particular note are the Wereravens (because why should mammals have all the fun?) and Mongrelfolk (humanoids enhanced with grafted on animal parts, or just born really weird and grotesque). Also, the Vistani (Romani analogues), have some interesting abilities if you need a good ol' fashioned curse or evil eye type effect.

Starting to sound like there might be stuff that can be used. As stated in my last post, if the villages are something that could be used easily outside the campaign, it might be worth my $$

DevilsAdvocate
2016-03-14, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Follow up question, are the town's fleshed out enough that I could drop them in a campaign world with minimal effort/rework and use them as villages? That has value to me as well.

The three main settlements: Barovia, Vallaki, and Krezk are all very story-contained. I suppose you could port them into another campaign with some gothic horror flair and make a few tweaks and that would be somewhat useful. The free adventure "Death House" (here: media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse%20of%20Strahd%20Introductory%20Adventure.pdf *) is a good example of the level of detail for the other entries.

The one flaw with using them outside this module IMO is how interwoven the story is. My gut: I think you should try to flip through the book once it's available (tomorrow is general drop day) and/or borrow one before you commit to the full purchase price.

*please forgive lack of formatting; I can't post links yet.

RickAllison
2016-03-14, 03:27 PM
How are the wereravens? I'm impatient for tomorrow to hit so I can get my copy, but do they have rules for making PCs into one?

DevilsAdvocate
2016-03-14, 03:50 PM
How are the wereravens? I'm impatient for tomorrow to hit so I can get my copy, but do they have rules for making PCs into one?

In MM formatting, there's just over a column given to wereravens in the bestiary appendix near the end of the book. Beyond the rules in the MM for lycanthropes as characters, there's just one paragraph that can essentially be boiled down to, "Dex now 15 if not already."

HOWEVER, there is a LOT to be mined from the ravens and wereravens in the story.

The Martikov family, and the Keepers of the Feather, play a big role in the events in Vallaki and the Wizard of Wines. Characters may not know how much the ravens and wereravens are spying on them, usually to try and help. In general, lycanthrope ravens seem *awesome* and the Martikovs are very fun to role play. My PCs are near Vallaki now.

Sigreid
2016-03-14, 04:59 PM
The three main settlements: Barovia, Vallaki, and Krezk are all very story-contained. I suppose you could port them into another campaign with some gothic horror flair and make a few tweaks and that would be somewhat useful. The free adventure "Death House" (here: media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse%20of%20Strahd%20Introductory%20Adventure.pdf *) is a good example of the level of detail for the other entries.

The one flaw with using them outside this module IMO is how interwoven the story is. My gut: I think you should try to flip through the book once it's available (tomorrow is general drop day) and/or borrow one before you commit to the full purchase price.

*please forgive lack of formatting; I can't post links yet.

Thanks again.

RickAllison
2016-03-14, 05:43 PM
In MM formatting, there's just over a column given to wereravens in the bestiary appendix near the end of the book. Beyond the rules in the MM for lycanthropes as characters, there's just one paragraph that can essentially be boiled down to, "Dex now 15 if not already."

HOWEVER, there is a LOT to be mined from the ravens and wereravens in the story.

The Martikov family, and the Keepers of the Feather, play a big role in the events in Vallaki and the Wizard of Wines. Characters may not know how much the ravens and wereravens are spying on them, usually to try and help. In general, lycanthrope ravens seem *awesome* and the Martikovs are very fun to role play. My PCs are near Vallaki now.

That's fantastic! I'm glad that there will finally be a Dex-Thrope that's not evil. Can't wait for tomorrow :smallbiggrin:

gullveig
2016-03-14, 07:27 PM
One thing I did not understand is the maps they provided free...

The Village of Barovia is REALLY small in its map! Smaller than Vallaki which should be smaller or at least the same size of the Village of Barovia.

The Village of Barovia is 600 feet (+/- 15 squares of 40 feet) wide more or so while Vallaki is one mile (5280 feet) wide more or so.

Also, the Barovia region map has an error... It says "1 square = 1/4 mile", but the map has hexes... Besides that the Village of Barovia and the Vallaki are 4 hexes wide so they both are 1 mile.

Village of Barovia: http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=74745&d=1455882989

Vallaki: http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa16/brcarl/Vallaki_zps2fe89df2.jpg