PDA

View Full Version : Size and speed

Arael666
2016-03-10, 05:49 PM
So, anyone else thinks the (lack of) relation between size and speed is kinda weird? I do think that a 9 feet tall troll should move faster than a 6 feet tall human, right?

What do you guys think of giving a +10 feet size bonus to land speed per size category above medium?

Troacctid
2016-03-10, 06:00 PM
There is a relation. Larger creatures tend to be faster. Notice how halflings, gnomes, and dwarves have a land speed 10 feet slower than humans', thanks to their shorter legs.

Necroticplague
2016-03-10, 06:35 PM
So, anyone else thinks the (lack of) relation between size and speed is kinda weird? I do think that a 9 feet tall troll should move faster than a 6 feet tall human, right?

What do you guys think of giving a +10 feet size bonus to land speed per size category above medium?

Being bigger doesn't inherently make you faster. Each step is longer, but your massive limbs are harder to move, and thus slower. The two can roughly cancel out, making speed independent of size, beyond the fact that larger creatures have more resources with which to use to accelerate their movement. The use of rescources to accelerate themselves is already present in the speed of the races. Things that are larger but as slow as smaller things don't have more bodily resources being used to accelerate themselves relative to their size.

InvisibleBison
2016-03-10, 07:17 PM
It's more odd, in my opinion, that effects that change your size never change your speed. A human under an enlarge person spell is about the same size as a hill giant, maybe a bit bigger, but the giant has a 10 foot speed advantage.

Necroticplague
2016-03-10, 07:19 PM
It's more odd, in my opinion, that effects that change your size never change your speed. A human under an enlarge person spell is about the same size as a hill giant, maybe a bit bigger, but the giant has a 10 foot speed advantage.

Alternatively: A Human, under an Enlarge Person spell, is about the same size as a troll, and moves just as fast.

InvisibleBison
2016-03-10, 07:29 PM
Alternatively: A Human, under an Enlarge Person spell, is about the same size as a troll, and moves just as fast.

Not really. Trolls are about 9 feet tall; an Enlarged human would be from 10 to 12 feet tall. That's proportionally about the difference between a human and a dwarf.

NorthernPhoenix
2016-03-10, 07:57 PM
Enlarge Person has a number of limitations compared to true size changes (such as HD advancement) mostly for balance purposes. Large (in a general sense rather than the category) are generally faster than smaller ones unless they are specifically supposed to fill a "slow and lumbering" archetype. Look at the speeds for Giants for example. Nearly all of them are >30 speed. Same with Ogres.

GnomishPride
2016-03-10, 08:44 PM
I think this should be sufficient:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html

Sliver
2016-03-10, 10:30 PM
Naturally large creatures are rarely twice as big across the 3 dimensions than their smaller counterparts. Enlarge Person makes you twice as tall, but also twice as wide and thick, and your weight is multiplied by 8 as a result. If you are close enough to your carrying capacity, the strength increase may not be sufficient enough and you will actually be slower than you were without Enlarge Person.

MilleniaAntares
2016-03-11, 10:41 AM
With the inversion, my dog is probably diminutive (she weighs about 10 lbs), but she can totally outrun me.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-11, 10:57 AM
Umm, no. Your dog would be small. I still see your point but a diminutive creature is under a foot in height or length and weighs less than a pound

zergling.exe
2016-03-11, 11:03 AM
Umm, no. Your dog would be small. I still see your point but a diminutive creature is under a foot in height or length and weighs less than a pound

Quadrupedal creatures also have a tendency to be quite fast.

Sliver
2016-03-11, 11:14 AM
Quadrupedal creatures also have a tendency to be quite fast.

Kinda like... Zerglings...

PallentisLunam
2016-03-11, 11:16 AM
Are zerglings quadrupedal? I thought they were more beetle-like. Not a StarCraft player though.

zergling.exe
2016-03-11, 11:35 AM
Are zerglings quadrupedal? I thought they were more beetle-like. Not a StarCraft player though.

They have 6 limbs, 4 they move on and two overhead claws. In Starcraft 1 the front legs were humoursly scythe-like, well in Starcraft 2 they are all paws.

MilleniaAntares
2016-03-11, 06:31 PM
My mistake. She's rather short, length-wise, so I meant to say tiny. She probably straddles the line.