PDA

View Full Version : The Bloodstorm Blade Cleave and Heal By Damage

Ruethgar
2016-03-10, 07:11 PM
I was in the market for a healer build that wasn't quite so passive or downgrading like a Cleric of Life and Healing. I was a big fan of Discipline DPS healing with the World of Warcraft Cataclysm talents pre-release of the x-pack itself(or pre-purchase anyway, I wrecked at that build til I hit 81). The premise is healing by doing magical damage with no downtime in between(downtime such as Shadow Sun Ninja and Manifest Life). So I looked into ways to make that work, came up with very little and ended up homebrewing. But after a recent treant creation with a Knockdown and Back Bloodstorm Blade, I decided to revisit the idea. But first, the cleave.

For this you will need Improved Trip, Bloodstorm Blade, and Great Cleave. (Great) Cleave works whenever you down an opponent. It gives the examples of death, but it is left undefined and so falls to English, under which trip would most definitely qualify. Great Cleave normally has a limit of your reach because you can't move between attacks. But as your reach is now effectively your maximum range increment, you can hit as many in a line as you dare to dream.

Do this with say a Persistent Energy Substitution(Electric) Produce Flame from any of Magically Adept, Magical Affinity, or Redhead feats and you have a true chain lightning extending outward potentially filling a 120ft radius with tripped monsters. Add a single healing side effect(1d4) and Draconic Aura for Elecric Resistance on a Dragonblooded race and you can heal your allies by electrocuting them. You can also make it invigorating which removes various minor status effects(though against enemies targeted as well).

Alternately, without Dragon Magazine, pick up Martial Spirit Stance, Energy Admixture, Deadly Defense, Combat Expertise, Reckless Offense, and Knockdown. You now deal 3d6+5 per attack at a -4 to your AC so have a pretty good chance to get Knockdown. 1st hit, 2 healing from Martial Spirit Stance, free trip, 2 more healing from the touch attack, improved trip, 2 more healing, trigger knockdown again for another free action touch attack for 2 more healing then Great Cleave til all enemies have fallen. Up to 8 healing per target. It isn't much, but then again it shouldn't be for damage by healing, but with magical side effects on a Devoted Spirit item for your Martial Spirit Stance you can increase that to 4d4+8 or 8d4+8 healing per target which is a great deal more significant and slightly more viable as an actual healing build.

This is mostly for TO, though I would love to test in an actual game at the various levels of healing potential.

InvisibleBison
2016-03-10, 07:22 PM
I don't know about the rest of this, but Cleave/Great Cleave definitely doesn't trigger off of tripping someone. The feat says:

If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach.

Thus, you have to drop a creature by dealing damage, which a trip attack doesn't do.

Ruethgar
2016-03-10, 07:39 PM
I don't know about the rest of this, but Cleave/Great Cleave definitely doesn't trigger off of tripping someone. The feat says:

Thus, you have to drop a creature by dealing damage, which a trip attack doesn't do.

But Knockdown would. You have to deal 10 damage to make it drop.

Ellowryn
2016-03-10, 08:15 PM
But Knockdown would. You have to deal 10 damage to make it drop.

I see what you did there..... >.>

Seriously though, by "Drop" they mean deal the killing blow on something you consider an enemy.

Yes, in the english language Drop means many things including knocking an enemy down. Yes, there are entire threads dedicated to poorly worded feats and rules. No, there is no RAW ruling can could state otherwise.

ben-zayb
2016-03-10, 10:45 PM
Cleave mentions Reach, which is different from maximum range of attack and which isn't changed by BSB. Your regular archer joe has 5ft reach, but has maximum range of attack ren times or more.