PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate video game spoilers (it's 5e related, I promise!)

Klorox
2016-03-10, 08:25 PM
I am thinking of playing a Warlock who is a decendent of the protagonist in the Baldur's Gate series of games.

I was hoping to have the Warlock somehow be tied to Bhaal's taint, which has been activated now that Bhaal has been resurrected.

I wanted to play the character as Good or Neutral and fighting against this pull of the evil God in his blood.

Does that make any sense?

Which kind of Warlock is most appropriate for this idea?

TIA

8wGremlin
2016-03-10, 08:52 PM
Bhaal as an Undying patron from SCAG, fluff and mechanics fits pretty well.

Death holds no sway over your patron, who has un- locked the secrets of everlasting life, although such a prize- like all power- comes at a price. Once mortal, the Undying has seen mortal lifetimes pass like the sea- sons, like the flicker of endless days and nights. It has the secrets of the ages to share, secrets of life and death.

Klorox
2016-03-10, 09:18 PM
Bhaal as an Undying patron from SCAG, fluff and mechanics fits pretty well.

Thanks! I had forgotten all about this option from the SCAG! I'll check it out!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 01:44 AM
Wouldn't a favoured soul (death) make more sense? Just a thought.

Giant2005
2016-03-11, 03:30 AM
I agree that Favored Soul makes a lot more sense - being a Warlock to Bhaal would be what you were if you gave in to your blood and chose to serve him.
Another thing to consider is that the only way for Gorion's Ward to have descendants at all is via Aerie, so you will have to be an Elf or Half-Elf. Also the events of Baldur's Gate happened 116 years ago, so unless she was killed by unnatural means, Aerie is probably still alive. Her continued existence may have some kind of impact on how your character reacts to his taint.

Lines
2016-03-11, 03:42 AM
I agree that Favored Soul makes a lot more sense - being a Warlock to Bhaal would be what you were if you gave in to your blood and chose to serve him.
Another thing to consider is that the only way for Gorion's Ward to have descendants at all is via Aerie, so you will have to be an Elf or Half-Elf. Also the events of Baldur's Gate happened 116 years ago, so unless she was killed by unnatural means, Aerie is probably still alive. Her continued existence may have some kind of impact on how your character reacts to his taint.

Why would you need to be a half elf? Could be several generations down the line.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 03:46 AM

If you dilute a Half-Elf enough, can the offspring eventually be considered human again? Half-Elves may be able to live a long time, but they mature quickly, so it's possible to have had three or four generations in that 116 year gap. And for half of those parents and grandparents to still be alive.

...This is sounding more like a soap opera than an RPG!

Mr Booze
2016-03-11, 03:53 AM
Why can't it be Jaheira or Viconia?

Giant2005
2016-03-11, 03:57 AM

Because Aerie is the only one that you can impregnate before the end of the game. At the conclusion of the game, you either have to dump your partner and ascend to godhood, or lose your taint. So only Aerie's offspring can possess that same taint.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 03:59 AM

Well, Viconia's an elf - an even longer-lived one than Aerie - as well, so she brings up the same issues. And Jaheira... isn't she looking for a more platonic relationship? I mean, after the brutal murder of her soulmate, it's hard to imagine her just settling down and having kids.

What if the Bhaalspawn was female?

Edit: ninja'd. Although I suppose this new game might be set in the wake of an 'alternate ending', or perhaps the taint has resurfaced after being cleansed.

Giant2005
2016-03-11, 04:00 AM
If you dilute a Half-Elf enough, can the offspring eventually be considered human again? Half-Elves may be able to live a long time, but they mature quickly, so it's possible to have had three or four generations in that 116 year gap. And for half of those parents and grandparents to still be alive.

...This is sounding more like a soap opera than an RPG!

That seems reasonable. I have no idea if it is possible to dilute a half-elf's blood enough for their offspring to not be a half-elf though.
It is kind of an interesting thought really - it is like the broca divide for Half-elves, where the parent is a half-elf but their child is not.

Lines
2016-03-11, 04:07 AM
That seems reasonable. I have no idea if it is possible to dilute a half-elf's blood enough for their offspring to not be a half-elf though.
It is kind of an interesting thought really - it is like the broca divide for Half-elves, where the parent is a half-elf but their child is not.

Why does it always need to be human? If the half elf, half human has sex with an orc, is the result an orc or half orc? If dwarf and then another generation down dwarf, now it's 6/8ths dwarf and only 1/8th elf, surely it's just a dwarf by now.

Mr Booze
2016-03-11, 04:17 AM
Because Aerie is the only one that you can impregnate before the end of the game. At the conclusion of the game, you either have to dump your partner and ascend to godhood, or lose your taint. So only Aerie's offspring can possess that same taint.

I Don't think it has to be this way. You could impregnate viconia (offscreen or without knowing at the end of throne of bhaal) and ascend to godhood.

Randomthom
2016-03-11, 04:36 AM
You could be Elf, Half-Elf (descendant of Aerie), Half-Drow (descendant of some brothel skank in Ust'Natha) or anyone else post-BG2 who we never meet. You could also fudge the story somewhat and be a descendant of almost literally any other character from the game if you want.

By canon, the Bhallspawn was a CN male human (Netherese) fighter (apparently just N according to forgotten realms wikia) called Abdel Adrian. He romanced Jaheira but also slept with Bodhi (before killing her) before returning to Jaheira.

Races seem to be somewhat open to interpretation anyway... "examples seem to at least potentially transcend the boundaries of what races can normally interbreed. Yaga-Shura also intended to produce offspring with a captured human woman, apparently at the lack of anyone more suitable. This suggests that Bhaalspawn are able to interbreed with others of different races with unusual versatility."

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 04:40 AM
You could also fudge the story somewhat and be a descendant of almost literally any other character from the game if you want.

Yeah. What about Imoen? Or Sarevok? The Sword Coast was lousy with Bhaalspawn!

mer.c
2016-03-11, 08:51 AM
Spawn of Sarevok actually sounds way more interesting to me. And it's got a great ring to it. :)

Theodoxus
2016-03-11, 09:01 AM
Why would you need to be a half elf? Could be several generations down the line.

For a Warlock? Why wouldn't you want to be a half-elf?!? Oh yeah, powergaming/min-maxing/Stormwind and all that...

BladeWing81
2016-03-11, 09:14 AM
What I want to know is when is CAPCOM doing another dungeons and dragons arcade game. I wanna play a ranger or a Monk in an arcade D&D game :smallbiggrin:

Klorox
2016-03-11, 08:34 PM

I've seen plenty of warlock backstories involving parents making "deals with the devil," is an ancestor being a Bhaalspawn really too much or a stretch?

What if the Bhaalspawn impregnated a prostitute along the way?

A gnome can romance Aerie, what kind of baby is it?.

MeeposFire
2016-03-11, 09:04 PM
I've seen plenty of warlock backstories involving parents making "deals with the devil," is an ancestor being a Bhaalspawn really too much or a stretch?

What if the Bhaalspawn impregnated a prostitute along the way?

Yea that would be a way to use any potential parent Just have the patron be the remnants of the Throne of Bhaal. You never fully eliminate a god's power in FR and so you could make a story of a descendent of the child of Bhaal (or any of them why does it have to be the main character and not Imoen, Sarevok, or any other Bhaal spawn?) uses his tenuous connection to his ancestor to get power from the remnants of the Throne of Bhaal. Warlock fits that well but you could also use favored soul if you prefer those type of class features (we can make the fluff work for either by emphasizing either the connection to his divinity for favored soul or the connection to the taint and the Throne itself instead for warlock).

Giant2005
2016-03-11, 10:36 PM

That would be this (https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/images/2061169/Proteus.jpg) kind of baby.