PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Butler Class idea

LordAlabast
2016-03-10, 09:10 PM
Here's the idea itself in its detail: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lcUuUWMRy4itzGhkvCmgWJ9GK3rERxvsL7O9LUhRB3k/pub

In summary the class itself centers around a Butler serving its master. It chooses or is hired by one character and it is the Butler's job to serve and protect them. The idea is that it will be similar to a cross between a cleric and a bard. It can give its master buffs and heal them, as well as a few other interesting abilities in their aid. The kicker is it has one ability that makes its support towards other characters not as good, so the power of taking over two roles in the party isn't much of a problem, though eventually the Butler can grow out of this.

Problems I can see in it is it may not have enough buffs to warrant comparing it to a Bard, so I would like a few suggestions as to what I can do there. Also, the BAB is apparently an oddity and needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure how. This is my first homebrew, so I'm not completely aware of how it works. The spell list may also be a bit bland, so I could add spells there with suggestions.

Thank you for your time and your help ^_^

nikkoli
2016-03-11, 08:01 AM
The document is closed currently to outside viewers

Temotei
2016-03-11, 08:23 AM
Also, the BAB is apparently an oddity and needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure how. This is my first homebrew, so I'm not completely aware of how it works.

The Base Attack Bonus and the base save bonuses are both off. Base Attack Bonus progressions are bad (1/2 HD, round down), average (3/4 HD, round down), or good (equal to HD). These will add up to +10/+5, +15/+10/+5, and +20/+15/+10/+5 at 20th level, respectively.

Save bonuses are either bad (1/3 HD, round down) or good (2+1/2 HD, round down). These will add up to +6 and +12 at 20th level, respectively.

Those are the only things I've looked at so far, so no comments on the rest.

LordAlabast
2016-03-11, 10:24 AM
The Base Attack Bonus and the base save bonuses are both off. Base Attack Bonus progressions are bad (1/2 HD, round down), average (3/4 HD, round down), or good (equal to HD). These will add up to +10/+5, +15/+10/+5, and +20/+15/+10/+5 at 20th level, respectively.

Save bonuses are either bad (1/3 HD, round down) or good (2+1/2 HD, round down). These will add up to +6 and +12 at 20th level, respectively.

Those are the only things I've looked at so far, so no comments on the rest.

Thank you, and fixed! Now I just need the rest looked over :P

Zaydos
2016-03-11, 03:25 PM
You want to make In the Walls just plop things out when it's too full not irreversibly get rid of them. PCs will find a way to abuse the latter (we have found the Artifact of Doomed Doominess? plop it in then 10 bags of flour).

Evasive Partner could just work like a regular miss chance (25% on d%/10% on d%) which would simplify it a little bit. Dish Best Served Cold the penalty outweighs the bonus in a lot of ways (+9 to hit is good and let's you PA, -8 to saves is deadly and makes you die if they get a turn and have save or dies which become common around level 13).

With Able Butler would you have a 50% chance of succeeding when you use Protective Retainer? With Assisted Attack would the attack bonus be halved or? Actually with Assisted Attack it says it's an immediate action (which by definition expends your swift action on your next turn) and then "This action does not count as the Butler’s action or bonus action, but is its own and does not impede on anything else in the Butler’s turn." Bonus action isn't a 3.5 term, but is equivalent to a swift action. Also can I use it if I am within 50 ft but holding a sword and the target is out of my melee reach?

Secret Stairway the fluff doesn't really match (can do so to help their master... can do so to aid non-master creatures), more importantly can I use it to enter a room without a door and then exit the room, without a door, into another room than the one I entered from?

Spellbreaker is a little complicated and requires a lot of line drawing. I mean does a bard count as primarily a spellcaster? What about a warlock? Technically they don't cast spells at all (slas the same as monsters). I assume you know what you mean so this is a 'if you want other people to use it' more than a 'this will impact your game'.

Helping Hands: Do you mean attack bonus instead of Base Attack? When you say assist in combat do you just mean Aid Another? What's their sleight of hand modifier for pick pocketing? As they take up space but can't be harmed or destroyed except by dispel magic they're really good for blocking entrances.

LordAlabast
2016-03-11, 03:53 PM
@Zaydos

Thank you for that! I think I fixed what I can, but I advise taking another look at it to make sure. Thanks for bringing so many things to my attention!

LordAlabast
2016-03-13, 02:19 PM
*Bumpety Bump*