PDA

View Full Version : Wealth by lvl

Officer Joy
2016-03-10, 11:39 PM
So I'm DMing and my heroes are in the proces if clearing a saphire mine, that was controled by a baby dragon and it's knobolt servants(refluffed hobgoblins). They are lvl 3 and there are 6 of them.

I have been kind of stingey with loot before now, and will probably be so again afterwards.
So I would like to get my heroes over the correct amount of wealth. But I can't seem to find a table that tells me what the average amount of wealth per character per lvl is. There are lables of what to put in enemies their pockets or hoards. But i can't find how many they should find. Plus it would be annoing now to multiply the table with the amount of encounters they have had.

So is there a table of advised amount of wealth per lvl that I'm just missing?

DivisibleByZero
2016-03-10, 11:57 PM
So I'm DMing and my heroes are in the proces if clearing a saphire mine, that was controled by a baby dragon and it's knobolt servants(refluffed hobgoblins). They are lvl 3 and there are 6 of them.

I have been kind of stingey with loot before now, and will probably be so again afterwards.
So I would like to get my heroes over the correct amount of wealth. But I can't seem to find a table that tells me what the average amount of wealth per character per lvl is. There are lables of what to put in enemies their pockets or hoards. But i can't find how many they should find. Plus it would be annoing now to multiply the table with the amount of encounters they have had.

So is there a table of advised amount of wealth per lvl that I'm just missing?

There is no WBL table because 5e's Bounded Accuracy is a system which doesn't require loot to keep your character relevant. WBL in previous editions (3e, 3.5e, & 4e) existed because certain loot thresholds were expected to be met, and if they weren't then your character would effectively be handicapped. That isn't true for 5e.
Give them whatever you feel is appropriate. No more. No less. Nothing is required, so there is no table.

edit:
Just keep in mind that because BA means that no loot is required, and because not having it will not handicap your players, this means that any mechanical +s offered by loot have (or will have) a greater effect than previously seen.
Whereas before, a +1 sword might have been expected by now, here it isn't.... and so that +1 will have a greater impact than you would expect it to.
Be wary of flat bonuses in 5e until you understand and appreciate Bounded Accuracy, because flat bonuses tend to bend BA a bit )some people think they outright break it).

Fable Wright
2016-03-10, 11:58 PM
There isn't! Mundane wealth really doesn't matter past 2000 gold in 5th edition. If you want to give them 100 gold or 10,000 gold apiece, it really wouldn't mess with game balance much. Only matters if the characters are going to be investing in buildings or settlements, and give them the wealth to buy a few Resurrections down the line.

The real question is, what impact do you want the wealth to have? Do you want plot hooks about how rich they've gotten, with bandits and burglars coming after them? Do you want to start a kingmaker game where the players build settlements? Do you want them to have just enough to party on for a month before dungeon crawling out to earn more? What are your goals, here?

mgshamster
2016-03-10, 11:59 PM
Page 38 of the DMG has some rough guidelines that you can use if you want.

But basically, what Zero said.

manny2510
2016-03-11, 12:00 AM
Here's my 2 cents. 20,000 gold split among one party is surprisingly little as long as they have things to purchase that are not magic items. Businesses and such. You can't go wrong if magic items aren't readily for sale.

Flashy
2016-03-11, 12:04 AM
Here's my 2 cents. 20,000 gold split among one party is surprisingly little as long as they have things to purchase that are not magic items.

For real. I once did a third level adventure with a reward of as much gold as each individual character could carry (~30,000 gp all told), and they blew through it hilariously fast. Hirelings, property, and valuables are ridiculously expensive.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 12:28 AM
For real. I once did a third level adventure with a reward of as much gold as each individual character could carry (~30,000 gp all told), and they blew through it hilariously fast. Hirelings, property, and valuables are ridiculously expensive.

Part of the issue for envisioning is the disconnect between the early levels where 500 gold will set you up with about everything you could want and later levels where options have been opened up and prices go toward the thousands of gold. Personally, I have always wanted to get an airship and start up a merchant career... That would probably quickly devolve into piracy, but details, details :smallwink:

Flashy
2016-03-11, 12:36 AM
Part of the issue for envisioning is the disconnect between the early levels where 500 gold will set you up with about everything you could want and later levels where options have been opened up and prices go toward the thousands of gold. Personally, I have always wanted to get an airship and start up a merchant career... That would probably quickly devolve into piracy, but details, details :smallwink:

They actually spent a TON of their money on wages for a ship's crew (and they were in the end self financing) what was more or less piratey depending how hard up for cash they were.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 12:46 AM
They actually spent a TON of their money on wages for a ship's crew (and they were in the end self financing) what was more or less piratey depending how hard up for cash they were.

Oh yeah. The single ton of cargo has to make 10 gp per day just to break even if you have maximized passengers for money.

JoeJ
2016-03-11, 01:09 AM
Oh yeah. The single ton of cargo has to make 10 gp per day just to break even if you have maximized passengers for money.

Something I'm considering for my next game is letting the PCs start owning their own Spelljamming ship, but also in debt to someone that can make a significant amount of trouble for them if (when?) they skip out.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 01:16 AM
Something I'm considering for my next game is letting the PCs start owning their own Spelljamming ship, but also in debt to someone that can make a significant amount of trouble for them if (when?) they skip out.

That sounds like an Edge of the Empire campaign I was in last year :smallwink:

JoeJ
2016-03-11, 01:27 AM
That sounds like an Edge of the Empire campaign I was in last year :smallwink:

I'm not familiar with Edge of the Empire, but I played a lot of Traveler back in the day.

Felvion
2016-03-11, 02:56 AM
There is also this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?395770-Analysis-of-quot-Typical-quot-Magic-Item-Distribution).

lebefrei
2016-03-11, 07:28 AM
Wealth is in your control so that you can use it to guide your game. The following assumes a world with no purchasable magic items.

Rich players, as mentioned above, will build a town or buy a massive ship. They send out scouting parties searching for any evidence of magic items or terrible beasts that need slaying. Wars may be waged and financed by them. This becomes large scale play.

Moderate income players will often forget money exists. They won't be able to throw it around and do big things with it, but they will also rarely feel its lack. This is probably standard 5e.

Poor players will feel desperate. Don't do this to them unless you want it to be a part of your game. They will actually have to consider hunger, scrounge up enough for travel expenses, and even copper may feel valuable. This can be a lot of fun, but many players are truly turned off by this play style.